PDA

View Full Version : Simple herbalism/alchemy/poison making

The Cats
2017-08-05, 11:07 AM
One of my players is interested in using these tools but has trouble with complicated mechanics. I am interested in letting them use the tools to great effect in a way that will not become useless at later levels, and that will not confuse him with complexity. Basically I don't want to introduce him to a ton of new stuff he'll have to keep track of (He's playing a druid so already stretched a little thin) but still give it that crafting feel and make it fun for him to use.

This is what I have put together. I would like the playgrounds opinion on whether this rule set accomplishes the above stated goals and suggestions on how to meet them if you think they don't. (Note: He has no issue with simple math so the DC calculations likely won't be an issue) (Also Note: I am OK with a-little-too-powerful, as long as it's not way-too-powerful or pretty-darn-lackluster.)

Herbalism, Alchemy, and Poisons

During a short or long rest you can make an herbalism tools check to gather ingredients. If you roll below a 10 you fail and find nothing. Otherwise, you find a number of ingredients equal to the result of the check/5.

During a long rest you can make an alchemy tools check to use ingredients to create potions. Potions can have the effect of any druid spell of a level you can cast that targets either yourself or an ally. The DC for crafting a potion is equal to 10+(5 X the spell’s level). If you are trying to craft a potion for a concentration spell you have disadvantage on the check. You use a number of ingredients equal to 2+ the spell’s level. If you roll below a 10 you fail and ruin the ingredients.

You can make a poisoner’s tools check to harvest poisonous components from a slain poisonous creature. The DC for harvesting is equal to 10+the creature’s CR. On a failed check the poisonous components are ruined.

During a long rest you can make a poisoner’s tools check to use ingredients or poisonous components to craft a poison. You can use 3 ingredients to craft a basic poison. The DC for crafting basic poison is 10. If you fail, you ruin the ingredient. The basic poison’s strength increases depending on the results of the check.
10-11: 1d4 damage, DC10
12-15: 1d6 damage, DC11
16-19: 1d8 damage, DC12
20+: 1d10 damage, DC14
Natural 20: 1d12 damage, DC16

You can use poisonous components to craft more advanced poisons. The DC and effects of the poisons depend on the components used.