PDA

View Full Version : New and Interesting Spells

j_spencer93
2017-08-05, 11:45 AM
So last time we played my wizard was noticeably getting tired of the spells available to him. To keep thing interesting I am looking for new spells to add to the game, and thought it would be best to ask on here. Are then any 3rd party books or homebrew people would suggest spells out of? I have the book of lost spells but it seems to be mainly trash for the most part.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-05, 01:09 PM
Well ive got some if you want.
Ill start with
Tea time.1st level spell.wisdom save against spell save you must physically expell rations for each combatant who during the next five minutes the only actions they can take are eat drink or talk.give some buff to allies like good berry.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-05, 01:22 PM
Cantrip vicious cockery cantrip enhancement
The target gets slapped by an invisible c0ck It must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or take 1d4 psychic damage and be stunned unless it succeeds a wisdom saving throw or is atacked.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-05, 01:23 PM
Gigantify/Minimise
5th level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a bamboo shoot and powdered gold worth at least 10gp)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You cause a creature or an object you can see within range to grow larger or smaller for the duration. Choose either a creature or an object that is neither worn nor carried. If the target is unwilling, it can make a Constitution saving throw. On a success, the spell has no effect.

If the target is a creature, everything it is wearing and carrying changes size with it. Any item dropped by an affected creature returns to normal size at once.

Gigantify.
The target’s size quadruples in all dimensions, and its weight is multiplied by sixty four. This growth increases its size by two categories – from Medium to Huge, for example. If there isn’t enough room for the target to double its size, the creature or object attains the maximum possible size in the space available. Until the spell ends, the target also gains a +10 bonus to Strength checks and Strength saving throws. The target’s weapons also grow to match its new size. While these weapons are enlarged, the target’s attack with them deal 1d12 extra damage. Additionally, the target deals double damage to objects and structures.

Minimise.
The target’s size is quartered in all dimensions, and its weight is reduced to one-sixty-fourth of normal. This reduction decreases its size by two categories – from Medium to tiny, for example. Until the spell ends, the target also has a -10 penalty on Strength checks and Strength saving throws, and advantage on Dexterity checks and Dexterity saving throws. The target’s weapons also shrink to match its new size. While these weapons are reduced, the target’s attacks with them deal 1d12 less damage (this can’t reduce the damage below 0) and the target deals no additional damage on a critical hit.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-05, 01:24 PM
And one named after yours truly
Sariels Suculent Striptease 7th level enchantment

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V
Duration: Concentration, up to one minute

Choose one creature that you can see in range. Creatures that can't be charmed are immune to this spell. The target begins a strip tease routine. In addition to dancing and preening, the target spends his or her Action taking off armor, clothing, accouterments, etc. The creature spends its movement stripping in his or her space without leaving it and has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws. At the end of the creature's turn he or she may make a Wisdom saving throw to end the spell. If you give the creature at least 5 gp as a bonus action each round on your turn he or she will have disadvantage on the Wisdom saving throw. Can be willing

j_spencer93
2017-08-05, 01:34 PM
Ignoring the last three, the first one I may actually use. Modify it to be Bard only, effects targets as long as you continue to play and concentrate. You cant take actions while using this spell.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-05, 01:35 PM
Ignoring the last three, the first one I may actually use. Modify it to be Bard only, effects targets as long as you continue to play and concentrate. You cant take actions while using this spell.

What ever you prefer darling

j_spencer93
2017-08-05, 03:07 PM
On a more serious note, does anyone know of homebrewed spells or 3rd party spells that fill niches left open in the official game? Or just cool spells in general they added to their own campaigns?

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-05, 03:31 PM
On a more serious note, does anyone know of homebrewed spells or 3rd party spells that fill niches left open in the official game? Or just cool spells in general they added to their own campaigns?

I wish.their are some threads people made either funny spells or serious ones other wise you could dive into the depths of dnd hell the dnd wiki.

j_spencer93
2017-08-05, 03:41 PM
Already did some digging. This is usually my go to stop because im less likely to get absurdly broken crap lol

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-05, 03:46 PM
Already did some digging. This is usually my go to stop because im less likely to get absurdly broken crap lol

I actually found teatime their.

Chugger
2017-08-05, 06:28 PM
In 5e exhaustion is a pretty big roadblock. Esp for frenzy barb - the exhaustion mechanic essentially "breaks" it - it's too steep a price to pay for the benefit (except maybe once per long rest). Greater resto is the only thing I can think of as a spell that zaps a lvl of exhaustion.

If you wanted barb to get use of frenzy twice per long rest, you could allow "Lesser Exhaustion Restoration" but each character can only benefit from it once or twice per long rest - if you want to limit a barb to two uses of frenzy per game day. Or maybe three uses - he goes to bed that night exhausted but wakes up okay.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-08-06, 10:17 AM
Already did some digging.

Have you come across any of my spells whilst digging? I've been trying to fill niches as I see them; the links are all in my sig.

The compendium (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20541928&postcount=22) ought to have just about every other spell that GitP homebrewers have written.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-06, 11:24 AM
I just left something out prawn the mfov spells
http://mfov.magehandpress.com/search/label/Spells?max-results=100&m=1 i was trying to throw my spells out their see who would like them all of them

Theodoxus
2017-08-06, 02:26 PM
Typically, new spells that aren't vetted - and even a number of them that are, are silly OP. Had a player try to use some third party crap spell - a cantrip that stunned the target... uh, no.

A bit off topic, but kinda proves the point, 3rd party Van Helsings Guide to Necromancy (or somesuch) has a warlock variant that can spam stuns at 1st level. No resources, nothing...

Like, who thinks stun is so underpowered that it should be spammed? I don't get it.

My recommendation is to refluff old spells into new and exciting variants.

Burning Missiles: 1st level evocation
You create three glowing darts of magical fire. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d6 fire damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several.
At Higher LeveIs. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot level above 1st.

Does the same statistical damage as Magic Missile, but d6's are more fun to roll :smallwink: Plus it's resisted more often... Could add 'ignites flammable materials', if you wanted to...

Could do similar with each elemental type...

j_spencer93
2017-08-06, 03:27 PM
I am working on making different elemental variants to common spells, as my players are always asking for those. I do like your burning missiles idea (actually oddly had a player complain magic missile only did force damage).
As for the rest, I will look into those.

See several in the middle finger of Vecna that i like.

Beelzebubba
2017-08-06, 03:30 PM
Dumb question: are you using the Elemental Evil Player's Companion (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/EE_PlayersCompanion.pdf)? Some cool element-based spells in there.

j_spencer93
2017-08-06, 03:35 PM
Yes I am and love the spells it added.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-08-06, 05:31 PM
Yes I am and love the spells it added.

Seriously. The EEPC is definitely my favourite 5e supplement.

Kane0
2017-08-06, 07:30 PM
Seen this (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3ws1ni/the_not_really_complete_book_of_spells_ultimate/) before?

j_spencer93
2017-08-07, 01:58 AM
Actually see a lot in that