PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Miniatures for AL games - most common races/classes?

ZorroGames
2017-08-05, 01:02 PM
I have set aside two KRM miniatures cases for FRPGs (5e AL is the target.)

Because of my predilections I have or have on order most of the Pathfinder Deep Cut/Nolzur's Human and Dwarf figures for most (Human) classes and a representative number of Dwarf classes.

I have some Elves and a few Half-Orc/Halfling figures but mostly the DM has borrowed my figures as filler for groups of bandits/guards/"monster mooks" when he needed more.

I was thinking these could act as loaners for first time players (already happened) - two issues:

Most people play elf/half-elf/dwarf/tiefling/dragonborn (in that order) characters so far.

Many have miniatures by their second game.

I do not want to buy a lot of figures I will never use for myself.

So... As the title asked, what are the most common races/classes that I should have available without buying excessive amounts of figures that may never see the table top?

I also have one Reaper Male Tiefling equivalent, some Reaper Dragonborn equivalents, assorted compatible Elven Male and Female Rangers/Fighters/Wizards/Rogues. What gap fill figures should I have on hand for miniatureless new players?

Gracias in advance for your thoughts.

Kintar
2017-08-07, 12:13 PM
Tabaxi

Specifically tabaxi rogue or monk

ZorroGames
2017-08-07, 01:37 PM
Tabaxi

Specifically tabaxi rogue or monk

Looked at the Tabaxi race.

Not even sure where I would get a figure for that, except in 15/18mm.

Thanks anyway.

So far It has not been spoken of as a possiblity in the AL games at the local shop where I have played/hung out.

Kintar
2017-08-07, 09:22 PM
They released two Tabaxi minis in the newest ToA miniature set.

ZorroGames
2017-08-07, 10:05 PM
They released two Tabaxi minis in the newest ToA miniature set.

ToA?

Whatever it is hopefully the LGS will carry it to peruse.

The Shadowdove
2017-08-08, 08:01 PM
Reaper is one of the best ways to go. Deep cuts and such are good as well.
Alternatively, used minis have a number of websites that stock and sell the pathfinder and D&D prepainted figures; such as troll & toad.

Just bought my siblings a good few minis from reaper. My local store sells them a bit cheaper, so it helped a bit. Also free shipping that way .

I got them triple packs of of human sword men/spear men/crossbowmen, 3 orcs, some goblins in a multipack, kobold multipack, 2 bugbears, 3 gnolls, skeleton sword men triple pack, skeleton archer triple pack, an evil black guard, a pirate swashbuckler, an iconic mage, a dwarven ranger, a Kenku rogue, basilisk, 3 oozes, female human bard, elven ranger, male human assassin, tiefling warlock, and a Goliath looking barbarian fellow.

It ended up being about $70, but they'll not need much more for a bit. They also have some 1" steel washers they write on for oddball monsters.

Another cheaper way to get loads of
Minis is to do the reaper kickstarter.

You'll wait a few months, but $100 gets you over 100 minis. Maybe closer to 150 minis.

I've also seen people with the arc knight stand up minis that vouch for their portability and affordability.

Really you'll use a lot of generic sneaky, mage, and fighter minis that can be used for all classes.

The hooded variants can be used for obscure races like kenku and tabaxi.

I have 6 prepainted hooded rogue minis that get used by drop in AL players and as npcs in most adventures. Same with some generic guards that have sword and shield or crossbows. They costed me very little on troll&toad a while back and I'd get more if I didn't keep picking up reaper minis.

Your hardest will be dragonborn, halfling, and perhaps wingless tieflings.

Even those are getting deep cuts now.

Reaper has a couple of options. As do old prepainted d&d or pathfinder minis.

When I want something for my characters I get a nicer one from darksword miniatures or eBay an anima mini.

Good luck!

ZorroGames
2017-08-09, 09:08 AM
Reaper is one of the best ways to go. Deep cuts and such are good as well.
Alternatively, used minis have a number of websites that stock and sell the pathfinder and D&D prepainted figures; such as troll & toad.

Just bought my siblings a good few minis from reaper. My local store sells them a bit cheaper, so it helped a bit. Also free shipping that way .

I got them triple packs of of human sword men/spear men/crossbowmen, 3 orcs, some goblins in a multipack, kobold multipack, 2 bugbears, 3 gnolls, skeleton sword men triple pack, skeleton archer triple pack, an evil black guard, a pirate swashbuckler, an iconic mage, a dwarven ranger, a Kenku rogue, basilisk, 3 oozes, female human bard, elven ranger, male human assassin, tiefling warlock, and a Goliath looking barbarian fellow.

It ended up being about $70, but they'll not need much more for a bit. They also have some 1" steel washers they write on for oddball monsters.

Another cheaper way to get loads of
Minis is to do the reaper kickstarter.

You'll wait a few months, but $100 gets you over 100 minis. Maybe closer to 150 minis.

I've also seen people with the arc knight stand up minis that vouch for their portability and affordability.

Really you'll use a lot of generic sneaky, mage, and fighter minis that can be used for all classes.

The hooded variants can be used for obscure races like kenku and tabaxi.

I have 6 prepainted hooded rogue minis that get used by drop in AL players and as npcs in most adventures. Same with some generic guards that have sword and shield or crossbows. They costed me very little on troll&toad a while back and I'd get more if I didn't keep picking up reaper minis.

Your hardest will be dragonborn, halfling, and perhaps wingless tieflings.

Even those are getting deep cuts now.

Reaper has a couple of options. As do old prepainted d&d or pathfinder minis.

When I want something for my characters I get a nicer one from darksword miniatures or eBay an anima mini.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information.