PDA

View Full Version : Movies/shows with proper vampires

Jeivar
2017-08-05, 03:16 PM
By "proper" I mean NOT sexy bad boys/sultry dream girlfriends played by models, living out eternity as awesome sex gods. I feel the Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire trope has been run utterly into the ground.
I want creepy monsters. Sexual predators, in the worst meaning of that word. Bogeymen. Villains.

Actually good vampire movies I can think of include:

*The original Fright Night
*The Lost Boys
*30 Days of Night
*We are the Night
*Bram Stoker's Dracula... IF it hadn't turned Dracula (an ugly, smelly, brutish a-hole) into a handsome, lonely puppy
*Let the Right One In
*Shadow of the Vampire
*Vampires (by John Carpenter)

Is there anything else out there?

Thrudd
2017-08-05, 04:53 PM
The Fright Night remake was pretty good, too.

To be fair to Dracula, he did have several centuries to clean up his act by the time he made it to England. You catch more flies with honey, and all that. lol

I know they're not exactly villainous, but I can't not mention "What We Do in the Shadows". I mean, they do regularly lure people to their house for the purpose of eating them.

Amazon
2017-08-05, 04:58 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/54/Drac_dead_and_loving_it.jpg/220px-Drac_dead_and_loving_it.jpg

BWR
2017-08-05, 05:12 PM
Nosferatu - still the best of the lot

Olinser
2017-08-05, 05:15 PM
By "proper" I mean NOT sexy bad boys/sultry dream girlfriends played by models, living out eternity as awesome sex gods. I feel the Friendly Neighbourhood Vampire trope has been run utterly into the ground.
I want creepy monsters. Sexual predators, in the worst meaning of that word. Bogeymen. Villains.

*The Lost Boys
*30 Days of Night
*We are the Night
*Bram Stoker's Dracula... IF it hadn't turned Dracula (an ugly, smelly, brutish a-hole) into a handsome, lonely puppy
*Let the Right One In
*Shadow of the Vampire

On the anime front you have Vampire Hunter D, and they just started a Netflix series of Castlevania (just 4 episodes but they're making 8 more).

comicshorse
2017-08-05, 05:36 PM
The British TV series 'Ultraviolet' had an interesting take on Vampires operating in modern society. Its clear the V's, as they are refereed to, are not 'awesome sex gods' but closer to utterly ruthless parasites

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169501/?ref_=nv_sr_2

( as a british TV series there are 6, 50 minute episodes. So its not to heavy a time investment)

Traab
2017-08-05, 05:36 PM
Hellsing Ultimate. Most vampires are real proper monsters. The closest to a "sexy" vamp is one of the valentine brothers who has the flowing blond hair, cultured voice, etc. But.... we dont deal with him for long. It doesnt hurt that they are all nazis The only thing you may not like is that each vamp seems to have its own special ability.

Kitten Champion
2017-08-05, 05:42 PM
Interview with the Vampire is good, relatively speaking. There haven't been many noteworthy vampire movies in the last 2 decades that greatly overshadow it, at least. An atmospheric Gothic horror tale which is more aimed at portraying vampires as cursed beings beneath the superficial glamour and their eternal nature that mortals desire.

If you're including shows -- Forever Knight was quite good. Not strictly a "vampires are irredeemable monsters"-type story as the protagonist is a vampire who decides to act otherwise, but it's pretty matter-of-fact that they're vampires and vampires are killers that are at best quite grey in their standing.

Winter_Wolf
2017-08-05, 06:26 PM
Blade? That counts as monstrous vampires, right? I'm not real big on vampires these days.

(Or much of anything produced in the last fifteen years, apparently. I'm this close to actually living under a rock. It's nicer than you probably think.)

Serpentine
2017-08-06, 09:00 AM
Oh heck, I saw one just recently! What was it called, dammit? Aha! Afflicted (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afflicted_(film)). It's a Canadian found-footage (but largely sans shakycam) vampire movie. It starts with two friends going on a great adventure, because one of them has some illness that means he's dying. It's more about vampirism as a disease than vampires as monsters, but it's certainly no "gosh isn't it fun being a sexy immortal vampire" type thing.

comicshorse
2017-08-06, 09:12 AM
Blade? That counts as monstrous vampires, right? I'm not real big on vampires these days.

Yeah the first two were actually pretty good ( and the opening scene of the first one is pure Sabbat style monstrous vampires) though the third was terrible.
There was also a TV series that was good if one ignored the fact that the actor who played Blade obviously never bothered doing any training for the fight sequences

HandofShadows
2017-08-06, 10:08 AM
Hellsing Ultimate. Most vampires are real proper monsters. The closest to a "sexy" vamp is one of the valentine brothers who has the flowing blond hair, cultured voice, etc. But.... we dont deal with him for long. It doesnt hurt that they are all nazis The only thing you may not like is that each vamp seems to have its own special ability.

You don't think that Seras Victoria is sexy? :smalleek: Or maybe not a proper vamp? :smallconfused:

scalyfreak
2017-08-06, 01:43 PM

There is also the original Dracula movie, starring Bela Lugosi.

JoshL
2017-08-06, 02:14 PM
For my money, the best Dracula was Christopher Lee, but I'm a fanboy, and like most Hammer films, there's a lot of cheese in there too. Both Nosferatus are amazing though (Murnau and Herzog both being brilliant) and if you saw/liked Shadow of the Vampire without seeing Nosferatu, you owe it to yourself to check them out!

Traab
2017-08-06, 06:51 PM
You don't think that Seras Victoria is sexy? :smalleek: Or maybe not a proper vamp? :smallconfused:

Bah, she wasnt a REAL &^$%*&^ vampire until nearly the end of the series.

2D8HP
2017-08-07, 06:57 PM
Near Dark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FiYSirEHS5E

"Trailer trash" vampires.

Far too vicious and hillbilly to be "sexy"

Chromascope3D
2017-08-07, 09:01 PM
Martin

...cough

2D8HP
2017-08-08, 07:43 AM
Martin

...cough

I saw that.

Martin is all too human.

Prepare to be disturbed.

CletusMusashi
2017-08-09, 11:17 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned "The Strain." Oh, it takes some non-traditional directions with the mythos, but they are without doubt evil blood-sucking monsters with a terrifying agenda.

Eldan
2017-08-10, 03:25 AM
I never watched more tthan half a season of the strain. It had some interesting ideas to start out and some stuff was very well done, but then it seemed to go into some very clichéd directions. I'm entirely sick of zombie survivor stories. Or Nazis.

Brother Oni
2017-08-10, 06:15 AM
There's Mr Vampire which features jiangshi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiangshi), although they're only vampires if you look at the older European myths of vampires being reanimated corpses.

The Hammer films classic Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter has a large chunk of the film where the protagonist is working out what type of vampire he's facing.

The film series is otherwise dire, but Wes Craven's Dracula 2000 (Dracula 2001) has another interesting take on the Dracula myth.

ben-zayb
2017-08-10, 07:25 AM
So...I guess there are no Danny Trejo fans around these parts? Quentin Tarantino's From Dusk Till Dawn, anyone?

Chromascope3D
2017-08-10, 11:51 PM
I've also heard good things about What We Do in the Shadows, but I've never seen it myself. In case you wanted some black comedy to mix things up a bit. :p

Bohandas
2017-08-11, 12:08 AM
So...I guess there are no Danny Trejo fans around these parts? Quentin Tarantino's From Dusk Till Dawn, anyone?

I don't think it's possible to sit through that movie long enough to get to the vampires. It just drags on and on

Jeivar
2017-08-11, 07:19 AM
I don't think it's possible to sit through that movie long enough to get to the vampires. It just drags on and on

And has the one of the most unlikable protagonists in cinema history.

Bohandas
2017-08-11, 07:48 AM
But mostly the probkem was that the first act needed to be about an hour, maybe an hour and a half, shorter

CletusMusashi
2017-08-11, 01:41 PM
"What We Do in the Shadows," is fun, but it's not a "vampires as scary monsters," film. It's more of a parody of all the other vampire cliches.

Bohandas
2017-08-11, 05:37 PM
In Aqua Teen Hunger Force the main characters' landlord is a vampire named Markula who, among other things, has them spirited away by spiders in the dead of night when they are late on their rent, tries to take over the world by turning everyone into vampire-zombies, tries to trick one character into a machine designed to suck out all their internal organs, and most of his tenants are dangerous monsters (including a family of killer robots, a murderous talking onion that is even more keen on drinking people's blood than he is, and a kaiju that later destroys the city in another episode)

Serpentine
2017-08-12, 08:47 AM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned "The Strain." Oh, it takes some non-traditional directions with the mythos, but they are without doubt evil blood-sucking monsters with a terrifying agenda.
Oh yeah, of course. Definitely monsters there.

Just now watched Dracula Untold. It does have somewhat of the sexy-vampire thing, but also a lot of the traditional (as in pre-film) vampire mythology (plus Vlad the Impaler!).

Bohandas
2017-10-29, 01:59 AM
The vampires in Priest were monstrous, but they weren't very vampirey, they weren't undead and they didn't create spawn except for one guy who was the only human ever turned into a vampire, they were more like some kind of weird mutant alien bug people.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-10-29, 02:40 AM

And has the one of the most unlikable protagonists in cinema history.

You guys are formally my mortal enemies now. There's differences of opinion, and then there's not liking something as awesome as From Dusk Till Dawn.

(Sure, it's not the most well made movie ever by a long shot, but where it shines it shines.)

Bohandas
2017-10-29, 02:46 AM
You guys are formally my mortal enemies now. There's differences of opinion, and then there's not liking something as awesome as From Dusk Till Dawn.

(Sure, it's not the most well made movie ever by a long shot, but where it shines it shines.)

I like the parts where it shines, I just don't like the first hour and change

Rynjin
2017-10-29, 02:55 AM
There's Mr Vampire which features jiangshi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiangshi), although they're only vampires if you look at the older European myths of vampires being reanimated corpses..

It's also pretty hilarious.

dps
2017-10-29, 07:54 AM

*The Lost Boys
*30 Days of Night
*We are the Night
*Let the Right One In
*Shadow of the Vampire

I agree that non-villainous vampires have been done to death (undeath?) but they can be stunningly good looking and still totally evil. In some ways, that's scarier than ugly and evil. Take Nosferatu, for example. Who in their right mind, if Court Orlok knocked on their door, would invite him in?