PDA

View Full Version : AT multiclassing and when to do it?

Shadowbane13
2017-08-05, 04:54 PM
I started a campaign as a rogue and have planned going into AT at 3. I'm thinking of sticking it out till level 8 or 10 and then maybe going warlock for more spells. Is there an AT handbook somewhere or something? Just interested on some insight into the classes and options. (I'm also semi new to 5e. Been playing 3.5 for nearly 12 years though.)

Sans.
2017-08-05, 05:49 PM
Warlock is a nice MC for Rogue, though I prefer Wizard or possibly Fighter. Because you get either SA or a good feature every level, you can literally MC whenever you want to.

thereaper
2017-08-05, 06:36 PM
Warlock is a bit MAD for an AT. I would recommend Wizard.

djreynolds
2017-08-05, 09:43 PM
Warlock is a nice MC for Rogue, though I prefer Wizard or possibly Fighter. Because you get either SA or a good feature every level, you can literally MC whenever you want to.

100%, multiclass when you wish. Wizard gets a spellbook you can fill. Too easy

Ovarwa
2017-08-05, 09:56 PM
If you are considering a Warlock/Rogue multiclass, you might want to consider Assassin over AT. Warlock will get you all the spells and magic abilities you need, allowing you to dump Int.

Assassin3/Blade(Fae)7 gives you 2 attacks, Improved Invisibility for a very good first round, and other synergistic tricks. (Though only 1 ASI.)

SharkForce
2017-08-05, 10:40 PM
Warlock is a bit MAD for an AT. I would recommend Wizard.

plenty of people ignore int when building arcane tricksters, and int is not required for multiclassing rogue so you can build cha just as easily as int anyways. there is no reason warlock would be more MAD than wizard, really... it just means your AT slots are for buffs, not attacks.

and there are certainly some interesting things you can do with warlock invocations, considering rogue doesn't really need agonizing blast.

edit: quoted the correct person this time (Sans was correct :P )

Sans.
2017-08-06, 10:36 AM
plenty of people ignore int when building arcane tricksters, and int is not required for multiclassing rogue so you can build cha just as easily as int anyways. there is no reason warlock would be more MAD than wizard, really... it just means your AT slots are for buffs, not attacks.

and there are certainly some interesting things you can do with warlock invocations, considering rogue doesn't really need agonizing blast.

Think you replied to the wrong person? Not me who said it was MAD.

Shadowbane13
2017-08-07, 08:48 PM
I already went AT and was thinking of transferring out around lvl 8 to something. My group has a barb and a fighter so was looking more into a caster of sorts. I was torn between warlock and wizard. Part of me even wants to stick out AT for the increase in SA but I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

djreynolds
2017-08-07, 09:56 PM
I think when you get uncanny dodge at 5th isn't a bad point.
Now you're not worried about needing to spam the shield spell.
But 6th brings 2 more skills with expertise. 7th in evasion.
8th is another feat.
It really depends on your style and if your skills can cover down on spell usage, like climbing versus levitate.
Having access to the invisibility spell, is important if you need advantage and have no other means.
But as long as you are reliably landing your sneak attack... you're good.
It really depends if you are using spells for combat or utility

Shadowbane13
2017-08-08, 09:06 AM
Ok. Yeah our campaign is mostly narrative and interactive rather than combat. There is encounters but they're not big or heavy encounters. So my spells would be more for overcoming obstacles rather than blasting things out of my way. The other night I used the silent image spell to make a medium medusa appear to scare a mob of enemies away.

Spells I currently have at level 3:
Silent image
Disguise self
Find familiar

Cantrips:
Mage hand
Sword burst (took this cause in my first two levels our tank kept getting knocked out and I'd end up surrounded from trying to flank for sneak attack)
Fire bolt

djreynolds
2017-08-08, 05:56 PM
As long as your DM is generous with scrolls, with 3 levels of wizard you could grab lots of utility

Shadowbane13
2017-08-09, 07:50 PM
So AT would be just as beneficial as MC to warlock?

djreynolds
2017-08-09, 09:24 PM
So AT would be just as beneficial as MC to warlock?

Pact magic will allow you to recover spell slots on a short rest but you cast them at a higher level.

So there is give and take.

Do what feels right for you?