PDA

View Full Version : Tenets for Paladin of Sif?

Penelomeeg
2017-08-05, 05:20 PM
I'm entering a game with the historical pantheon variant that lists Sif as a chaotic good goddess of the war domain. They don't really elaborate on any of the historical pantheons and how they're modified, what themes and tenets would be good for her Paladins and Followers?

Mastikator
2017-08-05, 05:42 PM
In the poetic edda she's the goddess of skalds (bards). So, a paladin of Sif should be a bard (not the class bard, the PROFESSION bard).

Not sure how a "paladin" makes any sense in a norse mythology setting though.

Penelomeeg
2017-08-05, 05:59 PM
Its not a norse mythology setting so much as an area we're starting follows that pantheon. Its a classical d&d world using several pantheons. The historic varients are the pantheons of the human nations.

So its heavily modified and not so much actual mythology as it is adjusting and molding these gods to fit a d&d esque setting.

Hackulator
2017-08-05, 06:12 PM
Are you a paladin of freedom?

TeChameleon
2017-08-05, 06:25 PM
Tenets for a paladin of Sif?

... choose an attractive paladin/cleric of Thor and stalk them? :smalltongue:

Winter_Wolf
2017-08-05, 06:35 PM
First edition AD&D Deities & Demigods attributed Sif as "goddess of excellence and skill in battle," so there's really not much to work with other than honorable knight/standard chivalric paladin. Enjoys the thrill of battle and spends a lot of time training or studying battles of the past? As was said above, acting the skald and regaling the masses with epics of battle and heroism, and stories of how cowardice and treachery came back to bite the offender in the rear? Really how much your DM changed things up is going to be a big factor.

hamishspence
2017-08-05, 06:46 PM
In 3.0 Deities & Demigods "duelling" is a part of her portfolio, as well as the emphasis of skill over strength. It suggests that dyeing part of the hair yellow/gold (or wearing gold ribbons in it) to emulate the deity's own gold hair, is common - and that good-natured challenges between her clergy and Thor's are usual.

Mastikator
2017-08-05, 07:12 PM
Tenets for a paladin of Sif?

... choose an attractive paladin/cleric of Thor and stalk them? :smalltongue:

Sif is Thor's wife. So don't stalk them, marry them.

Nerd-o-rama
2017-08-05, 09:31 PM
Sif is less detailed in original Nordic sources than she has been in modern pop culture, but it's safe to say based on more recent D&D sources that her tenets should revolve around excellence and honor in battle and the vanquishing of evil. She's also associated Classically with marriage, faithfulness, and possibly fertility and agriculture depending on who you ask, so if you want a slightly less martial but slightly more lawful interpretation Sif would also value family and family-oriented social constructs like tribe/clan loyalty quite highly.

LibraryOgre
2017-08-07, 11:07 AM
The 2nd edition Legends and Lore book had Sif as a promoter of excellence, but also looking after young warriors.

Are you thinking LG or CG? TBH, I think putting the Sif written in L&L as CG was a mistake (especially since conjugal fidelity was a major element), and would lean towards LG, but I think a prime tenet would be teaching (showing people the correct way to do things well), supporting those who are learning (i.e. donating to schools), and being a patron of arts and crafts (i.e. demonstrators of excellence). I might make it a minor sin to roll a 1 on a check, and a minor blessing to roll a 20, but that just gets metagamey.

Penelomeeg
2017-08-07, 03:50 PM
For clarification since there's a bit of vagueness, we're keeping her as a Chaotic Good Goddess and my Paladin will be Neutral Good most likely.

She's being focused on as a benign war goddess since we're using the 5e version which doesnt give her an actual description hut simpky lists her a chaotic good war goddess.

So far we have her as a sort of warrior patron whose followers are defenders of those weaker than themselves with the females being called shield maidens and the males shield bearers, and her being especially revered among female warriors in the region.

The one tenet I've already come up with is "Judge not by ones words, wealth, titles, or birth, but by their actions and will. Waste not your respect nor ire on the undeserving."

S@tanicoaldo
2017-08-07, 07:08 PM
Well, she's a warrior and a pretty lady so:

"Give up not your femininity for war; you shall not exchange your womanhood for a sword but wield them both in battle and in life".

What do you think?