PDA

View Full Version : Training

Karthull
2017-08-06, 11:05 AM
The character I'm going to play is someone who would generally spend most of his downtime either resting or training. Training like doing physical exercises, practicing sword swings, punching trees, stuff like that. Is he wasting his time mechanically? Spending time exercising and training, is he wasting his time since he's not learning a new skill or something? Mechanically is that sort of behavior counterproductive?

JNAProductions
2017-08-06, 11:38 AM
The character I'm going to play is someone who would generally spend most of his downtime either resting or training. Training like doing physical exercises, practicing sword swings, punching trees, stuff like that. Is he wasting his time mechanically? Spending time exercising and training, is he wasting his time since he's not learning a new skill or something? Mechanically is that sort of behavior counterproductive?

You can learn new tools and new languages in your downtime. Those may or may not be relevant in your campaign. If languages/tools ARE going to be a big part of the campaign, then you probably want to spend some time away from physical training and a little more on tool or linguistic training.

If not, though... It's just some nice fluff.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-06, 01:07 PM
I might confer some benefit like an additional d6 damge dice or advantage on initative for 1 combat encounter one time. Little things like that

Beelzebubba
2017-08-06, 03:27 PM

It's awesome for your character, and would explain your ASI's.

Sounds like Bruce Lee, one of his old actor buddies James Coburn talked about taking Bruce on a helicopter ride and he brought a phone book (back in the day, about 5" thick of paper) and punching it repeatedly during the flight. James said 'you're driving me crazy, what are you doing?' and Bruce just said 'Gotta train, gotta keep in shape'. (It should be on YouTube somewhere.)

Mechanically, you can only pick up skills, tools, and languages outside of leveling.

Karthull
2017-08-06, 04:10 PM
Yeah that Bruce lee story sounds like about what I was going for. I know you can train in tool and language proficiencys during downtime that's why I wondered in the first place if this kind of behavior is counter productive. Oh well guess it'll just be personal fluff.