PDA

View Full Version : So I created a program for myself to help keep track of spells.

aszolu
2017-08-06, 12:03 PM
I created a very basic program to help me keep track of all spells(across all of the books), spells known, and spells prepared which I run on my Surface Pro 4. It isn't really in a polished (or really even 100% finished) state, but I've been using it for a few weeks now and was wondering if there is any interest in such a program. If there is, I may put a little more time into it. For now, it only supports a few base classes, but base classes are relatively easy to add.https://imgur.com/a/fVELl

Some of the features of the application which are already implemented are:
Saving and loading your character and their spellsheet.
Automatically notifying when preparing more spells at a spell level than you have access to based on your modifier. Of course this can be overridden in the case of feats/etc.
Information about the spells is in a nice list format, including the name, short description, duration, source book, and source page (and more).
Add or delete spells from your prepared list.
Optional randomized preparation of spells (a pretty fun addition in my opinion).

Gruftzwerg
2017-08-06, 12:14 PM
Could you pls explain "keep track of spells" a bit? Do u mean the duration of the effects in combat + rule-text?

aszolu
2017-08-06, 12:20 PM
Could you pls explain "keep track of spells" a bit? Do u mean the duration of the effects in combat + rule-text?

Sorry for being so vague. This program will not help you with in combat durations or anything like that other than giving you direct information about the spell. It is basically a replacement for digging through dozens of source texts for spells to find the ones you want to learn/prepare. I cannot post a screenshot in a thread, since i haven't posted 10 times, but a link to a screenshot is in the "about me" section of my profile.

Gruftzwerg
2017-08-06, 12:29 PM
may I assist you with a quote to the link:

My DnD spellbook program (3.5e) https://imgur.com/a/fVELl

looks nice on fist impression. gj

gbecchi
2017-08-06, 12:40 PM
The program looks really good. I've been trying to find one that does this and looks simple, I definetly would use it.

zergling.exe
2017-08-06, 01:00 PM
I would probably ask the mods before offering it here. After the fiasco with a certain site last year(?) they've really cracked down on potentially OGL breaking things. So just check in with them to make sure you would be fine to spread it here.

aszolu
2017-08-06, 01:14 PM
I would probably ask the mods before offering it here. After the fiasco with a certain site last year(?) they've really cracked down on potentially OGL breaking things. So just check in with them to make sure you would be fine to spread it here.

Hmm, I hope there aren't any issues like that. Like I said, this application isn't ready to be released yet and there are a few major hurdles in the way of a public release anyway.

may I assist you with a quote to the link:

looks nice on fist impression. gj

Thank you for the link and the compliment.

Douglas
2017-08-06, 02:33 PM
Judging by what's in that image:
If any of the columns to the right that are not shown and have to be scrolled to contain the full spell description text, then it's absolutely not ok here and any post linking to it will be scrubbed and Infracted.
If it is purely an index and summary lines, as in what is shown in the image, so that you still have to look up the original source to get the full details... I'm not completely sure, ask Roland before posting. I would not be surprised if he says that's still too much, though.
If you remove all spells with a source book other than SRD, then it would be ok to post here even with full description text.

To clarify, posting non-OGL material here has always been forbidden, and we have always been removing it. It's just that the issue has recently gotten more attention from a lot of people.

aszolu
2017-08-06, 03:00 PM
Judging by what's in that image:
If any of the columns to the right that are not shown and have to be scrolled to contain the full spell description text, then it's absolutely not ok here and any post linking to it will be scrubbed and Infracted.
If it is purely an index and summary lines, as in what is shown in the image, so that you still have to look up the original source to get the full details... I'm not completely sure, ask Roland before posting. I would not be surprised if he says that's still too much, though.
If you remove all spells with a source book other than SRD, then it would be ok to post here even with full description text.

To clarify, posting non-OGL material here has always been forbidden, and we have always been removing it. It's just that the issue has recently gotten more attention from a lot of people.

There isn't a column which contains a full-text description. You've nailed the use-case of the program. It is useful for quickly knowing which spells you have available and having a brief description of what they do. In nearly every case, it's best to look up the spell in the source material to get a more complete description of the spell when you are actually using it.

Douglas
2017-08-06, 03:30 PM
There isn't a column which contains a full-text description. You've nailed the use-case of the program. It is useful for quickly knowing which spells you have available and having a brief description of what they do. In nearly every case, it's best to look up the spell in the source material to get a more complete description of the spell when you are actually using it.
In that case, ask Roland St. Jude (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?4945-Roland-St-Jude) whether it's ok before you post it. I suspect he might judge that even the limited info you have is too much. If you cut it down to spell name, source book, and source page, I expect that would be ok to post, but that obviously reduces its usefulness substantially. I'm not sure exactly where he would draw the line.

It would probably help if you write your own short descriptions instead of using the official printed ones, but again ask Roland before posting.