View Full Version : Pathfinder Homebrew Mecha Pilot Archetype for Magus - Need opinions

Akriloth
2017-08-06, 12:06 PM
Hello, because i am a fan of mechas and my campaign setting is magitek i wanted to create a magus archetype that utilized mechas. I need opinions on it, it looks balanced and fun to use for me but there might be things i am not seeing. Since i am new i can't post google docs link, it uses Total Party Kill Games's "Arcforge: Technology Expanded" Mech rules so please check them out and look Mecha rules from there.

Valkyrie Pilot

A select group of magi bind magic and technology to create a personal suit of armor called a Valkyrie Suit. Blending their arcane magic with technology, these versatile magi seeks to develop their armor to new heights.

Class Skills: A Valkyrie Pilot adds Knowledge (engineering) to her list of class skills in place of Ride.

This ability alters the magus’s class skills.

Diminished Spellcasting: A Valkyrie Pilot may cast one fewer spell of each level than normal. If this reduces the number to 0, he may cast spells of that level only if her Intelligence allows bonus spells of that level.

Valkyrie Suit (Ex): At 1st level, the Valkyrie Pilot gains a Mecha as described in the “Mecha Rules and Body Types” section, treating her class level as her pilot level. Her mecha is personal, and only she knows how to use it properly. Due to her connection with the suit, a Valkyrie Pilot with this class feature cannot have an arcane bond with an object of any kind, even from another class.

This ability replaces spell recall, the medium armor class feature, and the heavy armor class feature.

Arcane Repair (Sp): At 1st level, as a swift action, a Valkyrie Pilot can repair objects as if using mending.

At 5th level, a Valkyrie Pilot can use this ability as a standard action instead, and spend 1 point from her arcane pool to repair objects as if using make whole.

At 9th level, a Valkyrie Pilot can use this ability as a standard action instead, and spend 2 points from her arcane pool to repair objects as if using greater make whole.

This ability replaces improved spell recall.

Valkyrie Drive (Su): The Valkyrie Suit contains a key part, the Valkyrie Drive, that separates it from the rest of the Mechas. A Valkyrie Pilot cannot spend points from her arcane pool to enhance weapons. Instead, she can expend 1 point from her arcane pool as a swift action to grant her Valkyrie Suit a Mecha Enhancement that it qualifies for 1 minute. This enhancement cannot be an enhancement that significantly alters the structure of the Mecha, like Arms and Size Increase. If she uses this ability again, the first use immediately ends.

This ability alters the arcane pool class feature.

Valkyrie Spell Combat (Ex): A Valkyrie Pilot infuses her suit to be an arcane conduit of her will, she gains spell combat at 4th level instead of at 1st level, and can use it only while Valkyrie Drive is on (see Valkyrie Drive, above). A Valkyrie Pilot may use her slotted weapons to perform somatic components for magus spells. A Valkyrie Pilot gains improved spell combat at 9th level instead of at 8th level.

This ability alters spell combat, and improved spell combat.

Removed Mech Enhancements: Robot Upgrade, Intelligent Vessel.
Added Mech Enhancements: Familiar Cockpit- The Mecha gains a cockpit where a size tiny or smaller familiar can fit. If the pilot is not inside the Mecha, familiar can instead pilot the Mecha. While familiar’s master pilots the Mecha, familiars inside the cockpit can’t be harmed by damage or be targeted by spells.

khadgar567
2017-08-06, 12:26 PM
as far as know pathfinder has no mech rules mate so do you create this for steelforge?

Akriloth
2017-08-06, 12:29 PM
as far as know pathfinder has no mech rules mate so do you create this for steelforge?

As i said in my post: It uses Total Party Kill Games's "Arcforge: Technology Expanded" Mech rules so please check Mecha rules from there.

Thealtruistorc
2017-08-06, 09:12 PM
Two things

First of all, the Mecha Rules are coming from Total Party Kill Games, not Dreamscarred Press. We've been working quite hard to publish it and giving credit where it is due is just common courtesy.

Second, I think that Valkyrie drive is a bit underpriced. Spending only a single point of your arcane pool for such versatile abilities seems too powerful, especially given that it is possible from first level. I'm also curious as to why Robot Upgrades cannot be selected.

Other than that, I like it. Nice job.

Akriloth
2017-08-07, 02:59 AM
Two things

First of all, the Mecha Rules are coming from Total Party Kill Games, not Dreamscarred Press. We've been working quite hard to publish it and giving credit where it is due is just common courtesy.

Second, I think that Valkyrie drive is a bit underpriced. Spending only a single point of your arcane pool for such versatile abilities seems too powerful, especially given that it is possible from first level. I'm also curious as to why Robot Upgrades cannot be selected.

Other than that, I like it. Nice job.

Didn't know you parted your ways with DSP, i merely found the thread here on the forums which was a playtest that was posted in 2015. When i googled Arcforge to be sure nothing came out so i assumed it was either plugged off or was not ready yet, should've read the whole thread... So sorry about it!. It is edited now.

I can see that, maybe i should limit which upgrades that can be selected like the arcane pool ability? Do you have any suggestions? As for Robot Upgrades, Robots do not exist in my setting, so i did not want to mix them in to create an additional document for my players.

P.S. I really like your mech rules. :)

Thealtruistorc
2017-08-07, 01:20 PM
Didn't know you parted your ways with DSP, i merely found the thread here on the forums which was a playtest that was posted in 2015. When i googled Arcforge to be sure nothing came out so i assumed it was either plugged off or was not ready yet, should've read the whole thread... So sorry about it!. It is edited now.

I can see that, maybe i should limit which upgrades that can be selected like the arcane pool ability? Do you have any suggestions? As for Robot Upgrades, Robots do not exist in my setting, so i did not want to mix them in to create an additional document for my players.

P.S. I really like your mech rules. :)

I'm glad you like them, though the mech rules were mostly my partner's work. Arcforge should be available by the end of the month, and we're working on supplements for the Mech system.

Honestly, I was never actually a part of DSP. My partner, who originally came up with Arcforge, pitched it to them back in 2015, but the project switched publishers in December.

Rather than restricting enhancements, I would advise just moving the ability to a higher level. The Helmsman can pull a similar trick starting at level 9, so I think 6th level or higher would work well for a dedicated archetype.