PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Pow/DSP] Finesse Medic

Ninjaxenomorph
2017-08-06, 03:37 PM
I'm building a character since our party needs a primary healer in case our current healer dies. I've gotten permission from our PoW-wary GM to play a medic. The race I was looking at was a Dex/Wis/-Str race custom to our setting, so a Dexterity build seemed like the obvious choice, since I don't want to do a ranged build. But, I just can't get a handle on disciplines. I haven't played with Iron Tortoise yet, and thought that looked interesting, so a sword'n'board build looked attractive. So most likely going rapier/light shield, but I'm still open to suggestions.

I... have NO earthly idea of what to get for feat order, besides Weapon Finesse at first level. I guess I need Improved Shield Bash at some point, but I don't know if I should invest in TWF feats. There's also the question of secondary disciplines; while I like Golden Lion in theory, I find a lot of its mechanics questionable, and I hope it is on the path to being fixed in the errata, though I could easily just avoid the weird ones. I don't want Broken Blade, since that would probably clinch PoW earning a permanent ban from the GM if I built an even moderately competent character, and Steel Serpent doesn't exactly fit the MO of the character. Of the archetypes, only the ambu-lancer fits the character, and I don't see how I could effectively incorporate Piercing Thunder and Iron Tortoise together, feat-wise. I am willing to tradition or trait in an alternate discipline, but I'm not sure where I could go to. Shattered Mirror actually seems like it could be a good bet, but I'm not too clear on how I could use it.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-08-06, 06:39 PM
I've never built a Medic or mounted character, but keep in mind that (contrary to what many people seem to glean from PoW) you don't have to be wielding a discipline weapon to use a maneuver unless it actually calls out a specific type of weapon in the maneuver's text. Some give you bonuses if you are, but it's not required.

As for feats and disciplines, if you plan on going Dexterity I'd suggest against any kind of mounted charger build or a lance, since those work best when you can stack strength multipliers. I'd suggest Iron Tortoise/Scarlet Throne focus with the Buckler Bash (so buckler works with IT stuff) and Deadly Agility (Dex to damage) feats. This lets you be very disruptive on the battlefield even when not healing, with lots of parries and deflections, not to mention the bonuses to AC. Maybe even pick up Tactical Rush to get some extra movement, if Medic has any abilities related to positioning.

Air0r
2017-08-06, 07:14 PM
there is already a freely available errata document for the first half of the book. DSP has already stated that they are working on the errata for the maneuvers section of PoW. hope that info helps in some way.

Ninjaxenomorph
2017-08-06, 08:03 PM
I was aware of the errata. I do not have access to scarlet throne natively, but I CAN use it with a shield with the errata. I forgot that I wanted to use Nemean Lion Hide, which is dependent on golden lion, so it's something I'm less opposed to. But: feats. Using at least iron tortoise and Dex stuff, what feats would I need?

phlidwsn
2017-08-07, 08:56 AM
For Dex, your base set is Weapon Finesse, Deadly Agility, and Piranha Strike(Dex power attack).

For IT, Improved Shield Bash, Shield Focus, Defensive Expertise (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/feats/defensive-expertise-combat/) are all useful.

Martial Power if you're looking at Nemean.

Ninjaxenomorph
2017-08-09, 08:03 AM
For Dex, your base set is Weapon Finesse, Deadly Agility, and Piranha Strike(Dex power attack).

For IT, Improved Shield Bash, Shield Focus, Defensive Expertise (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/feats/defensive-expertise-combat/) are all useful.

Martial Power if you're looking at Nemean.

Thank you. Would Double Slice also be in there, or does Iron Tortoise assume you aren't actually going TWF with your shield? What feat order would I be looking at, assuming I take the medic's expertise that grant combat feats ASAP? I'd also like to take Iron Tortoise Style, but am willing to put that off for Nemean Lion Hide.