PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Feedback level 4 Ranger (2) scout (2) character.

alucardu
2017-08-06, 04:28 PM
I started playing d&d about 5 months ago and the DM told us we were only using PHB I II for our characters to keep it easy. But I got the game quite fast and wanted more! Just a ranger looked a bit boring, but multiclassing into a rogue looked interesting. After some questions and topics I've ended up with a Ranger/Scout build that I want to use when I get to level 4 (so I am retconning the character).

Race: Wood Elf (+2 str, +2 dex, -2 Int - Con)
STR 12
DEX 20
CON 13
INT 14
WIS 11
CHA 15

I got some good rolls :). I've chosen a high INT for the insane amount of skill points I want/need for my character. Also a 15 in CHA because I want high diplomacy/bluff/gather information. I've talked to my DM and I want my scout to be a bit of a detective so we made those skills available for me. Now you can also see why I need a high int with all these skills I want to level. We also picked some flaws for our characters, first flaw gave 4 skill points and second flaw a feat. I've chosen Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot as my first 2 feats. Also I did scout 1, and scout 2 for the first levels.

On level 3 I went Ranger with the Arcane Hunter variant class. My DM likes to use magic in his NPCS. On level 3 I picked the Travel Devotion feat, although at this level it's not useful yet since I can only attack once. But we go straight into level 4 (ranger 2 with Archery speciality) which gives me Rapid Shot. Now with travel devotion I can move +10ft and use rapid shot and each shot gets 1D6 added for damage. So far this will be the character I'm playing next session. Any feedback on it?

And for level 5 I'm planning to go scout (3) so I can get skirmish 1D6 + 1AC which is needed for the Swift Hunter feat on level 6. On level 6 I've picked scout (4) so I can get the Improved Skirmish bonus feat and for the normal level 6 feat I've picked Swift Hunter so I can add 2D6 (normal skirmish) + 2D6 (improved skirmish) when I use travel devotion to move 20ft and use rapid shot for both arrows.

From level 7 I'll level Ranger and get some spells. But it will take a very long time to get there.

Any feedback on my progression?

ps. I have no interest in taking a dip in cleric for more Travel Devotion. For me (and my dm) it's a gimmick build that does not really fit the character, I barely got the travel devotion in ... ;)

Darrin
2017-08-07, 07:15 AM
And for level 5 I'm planning to go scout (3) so I can get skirmish 1D6 + 1AC which is needed for the Swift Hunter feat on level 6. On level 6 I've picked scout (4) so I can get the Improved Skirmish bonus feat and for the normal level 6 feat I've picked Swift Hunter so I can add 2D6 (normal skirmish) + 2D6 (improved skirmish) when I use travel devotion to move 20ft and use rapid shot for both arrows.

Just something to be aware of... on ranged Swift Hunters, the best strategy is usually to get Manyshot as quickly as possible. Since you get that feat as part of your Ranger Combat Style, this usually means starting with Scout 3/Ranger 6, so you get Manyshot at level 9. This allows you to pick up Greater Manyshot or Improved Rapid Shot at the same level. This also means that you have to delay putting off Scout 4 until 10th level, so you'd have to wait until then to get Improved Skirmish.

(There is another method to pick up Manyshot at Ranger 4 with the Champion of the Wild ACF, but it's kinda complicated and doesn't involve much Ranger: Scout 4/Ranger 5/Dragon Devotee 4/Spellsword 1/Unseen Seer 4.)

Are you opposed to all dips? Hit-and-Run Fighter (Drow of the Underdark) would get Dex bonus on damage against flat-footed targets within 30'.

If Dragonborn of Bahamut is available, I'm quite fond of adding this to all my rangers/swift hunters, although this would cut into your Dex bonus a bit. Flying + archery is usually an autokill against most non-flyers. If you want the breath weapon, you can still get wings by swapping one of your existing feats (I'm looking at you, Endurance) for Dragon Wings, and then take Improved Dragon Wings later.

Other stuff:

If you go the Improved Rapid Shot route, you'll want to pick up Woodland Archer.

Elvencraft Longbow (300 GP, Races of the Wild) is very nice, put a couple of wand chambers (100 GP, Dungeonscape) in there. I like instant of power (Forge of War), sniper's shot (Spell Compendium), or blade of blood (PHBII), but if you're limited to Core/Completes/PHBII, blockade (Complete Scoundrel) has its uses. If you can afford it, hunter's eye (PHBII) and swift haste (Spell Compendium) are awesomesauce.

I'm having trouble nailing down what books are available. You said PHB and PHBII only, but Scout and Swift Hunter are in the Complete books.

If Highland Stalker is available, then a Scout 4/Ranger 14/Highland Stalker 2 gets +1d6 more Skirmish damage than a Scout 4/Ranger 16.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-07, 02:36 PM
Just something to be aware of... on ranged Swift Hunters, the best strategy is usually to get Manyshot as quickly as possible.
Incorrect. Manyshot explicitly does not work with precision damage like Skirmish. GREATER Manyshot does, but that's a long way in the future.

As an archer Scout, your best bet is Travel Devotion. See if you can get more uses out of a Nightstick or Reliquary Holy Symbol?
Otherwise, the easiest-but-goofiest method I know of involves a horse. Skirmish doesn't work when riding, as per the errata, but if you make a DC 20 Ride check to mount as a swift action, and another to dismount on the other side, then presto-- you're now ten feet away from where you started.

Check out my handbook for more (and better) ideas. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473666-New-Scout-Handbook

Fouredged Sword
2017-08-07, 02:48 PM
Incorrect. Manyshot explicitly does not work with precision damage like Skirmish. GREATER Manyshot does, but that's a long way in the future.

As an archer Scout, your best bet is Travel Devotion. See if you can get more uses out of a Nightstick or Reliquary Holy Symbol?
Otherwise, the easiest-but-goofiest method I know of involves a horse. Skirmish doesn't work when riding, as per the errata, but if you make a DC 20 Ride check to mount as a swift action, and another to dismount on the other side, then presto-- you're now ten feet away from where you started.

Check out my handbook for more (and better) ideas. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473666-New-Scout-Handbook

The idea is that you pick up manyshot with the ranger 6th level combat style and GREATER manyshot as your 9th level regular feat. The requirement is BAB 6, so it comes online at the same time. That makes the build scout 3 / ranger 6 on to ranger 17.

Darrin
2017-08-07, 03:14 PM
The idea is that you pick up manyshot with the ranger 6th level combat style and GREATER manyshot as your 9th level regular feat. The requirement is BAB 6, so it comes online at the same time. That makes the build scout 3 / ranger 6 on to ranger 17.

That's what I meant, but I think I explained it badly. There are two schools of thought on triggering skirmish with an archery-based Swift Hunter: 1) *Greater* Manyshot and 2) Travel Devotion + Improved Rapid Shot. They both require getting Manyshot as quickly as possible (because the designers are idiots... Manyshot is useless to someone using Rapid Shot, Improved or otherwise). The quickest way to do that is Scout 3/Ranger 6, so you can get either Greater Manyshot or Improved Rapid Shot at 9th. Unfortunately, this means putting of Scout 4 and the Cleric dip until 10th/11th.

Nitpick: fast mount/dismount is a free action as per the PHB.

I think you can move up to 20' this way, if you go diagonally corner-to-corner on a large-sized mount. Otherwise, a huge-sized mount will also get you 20'.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-08-07, 03:57 PM
That's what I meant, but I think I explained it badly. There are two schools of thought on triggering skirmish with an archery-based Swift Hunter: 1) *Greater* Manyshot and 2) Travel Devotion + Improved Rapid Shot. They both require getting Manyshot as quickly as possible (because the designers are idiots... Manyshot is useless to someone using Rapid Shot, Improved or otherwise). The quickest way to do that is Scout 3/Ranger 6, so you can get either Greater Manyshot or Improved Rapid Shot at 9th. Unfortunately, this means putting of Scout 4 and the Cleric dip until 10th/11th.
Ah, gotcha.

Nitpick: fast mount/dismount is a free action as per the PHB.

I think you can move up to 20' this way, if you go diagonally corner-to-corner on a large-sized mount. Otherwise, a huge-sized mount will also get you 20'.
Whoops. I knew that. That's why the trick works.

Note that you can also simply take the Travel Devotion feat multiple times, if you want more uses without going full Cleric. The Death Delver PrC grants Rebuke Undead at 1st and is pretty easy to get into, if you'd like to go that route.