PDA

View Full Version : Speculation AL play, "one additional book"

ZorroGames
2017-08-06, 04:53 PM
So, if I understand correctly, (and sometims I do,) in AL play games/campaigns mechanics/play are oriented towards a character only using one sourcebook other than "core" (PHB, DMG, and MM) for a character?

So, if that is accurate, what sourcebook is most useful/play enhancing for a class and, in your opinion, why?

Right now I am using SCAG because I bought it and I am using City Watch background for a character design. My first character, Mountain Dwarf Monk, is strictly PHB right now but if something is useful (like the SCAG background for a recent backup character that I intend to bring online in the near future for example) that might make more classes RP/semi-optimized to me I certainly could obtain it.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-06, 05:15 PM
So, if I understand correctly, (and sometims I do,) in AL play games/campaigns mechanics/play are oriented towards a character only using one sourcebook other than "core" (PHB, DMG, and MM) for a character?

So, if that is accurate, what sourcebook is most useful/play enhancing for a class and, in your opinion, why?

Right now I am using SCAG because I bought it and I am using City Watch background for a character design. My first character, Mountain Dwarf Monk, is strictly PHB right now but if something is useful (like the SCAG background for a recent backup character that I intend to bring online in the near future for example) that might make more classes RP/semi-optimized to me I certainly could obtain it.
Well volos for the extra races

Kane0
2017-08-06, 05:22 PM
Xanathars Guide to Everything (http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/xanathars-guide-everything) would probably be the best +1 option for your PHB.

Besides that there's three options: Elemental Evil, SCAG and Volo's Guide. Mostly spell and race options but SCAG has a few choice subclasses like the Bladesinger.

PeteNutButter
2017-08-06, 05:25 PM
It really depends on the character. SCAG is a must for most gishes as it gives the GFB/BB cantrips. It is also required for its subclasses or the half elf and tiefling variants, and the dark dwarf and gnome.

EE is good for rangers for absorb elements. Wizards also, but they can find and copy the scroll. It also has races.

Volos is just races, so obviously you need that to play a race if you want to be a monster race. For goliaths, pick EE for some more options.

Note: backgrounds are excluded in this rule meaning you can use SCAG backgrounds, but still use a different book.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-06, 05:26 PM
Xanathars isnt out yet stop teasing me

Kane0
2017-08-06, 05:50 PM
So just use PHB and wait for the release, then claim it as your +1.
Or better yet, claim it now and just use PHB until you have access to it :smallwink:

Toofey
2017-08-07, 11:35 AM
Does the one book rule extend to spells, I thought it was one book for character elements but you could have whatever spells you accumulated through play/trades

Naanomi
2017-08-07, 11:46 AM
PHB+One book per character, accessing backgrounds doesn't count as your 'book', a wizard (or warlock with the book) can copy stuff they acquire regardless of the source; but other casters limited to their chosen 'books' to learn or prepare spells. Certs exist to break these rules

Socratov
2017-08-07, 12:22 PM
Does the one book rule extend to spells, I thought it was one book for character elements but you could have whatever spells you accumulated through play/trades

Everything you use for character creation and advancement must come from either PHB or the +1 you define.

Backgrounds are exempt because you are allowed in the PHB to make your own background as long as they are equivalent (and follow the X skills, Y tools/languages, etc. formula). So, even if backgrounds weren't exempt someone could just 'create' a background that would be eerily similar to the splat backgrounds.

HolyDraconus
2017-08-07, 12:40 PM
a wizard (or warlock with the book) can copy stuff they acquire regardless of the source; but other casters limited to their chosen 'books' to learn or prepare spells.

That right there is what's currently wrong with the system. It just puts the wizard on a higher pedestal while pushing other casters down. He already has access to 3 books to other classes 2. Once Xanathar's hit, that will be 4. And it will only go up from there.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-07, 12:46 PM
That right there is what's currently wrong with the system. It just puts the wizard on a higher pedestal while pushing other casters down. He already has access to 3 books to other classes 2. Once Xanathar's hit, that will be 4. And it will only go up from there.

The company is called Wizards of the Coast for a reason. Nothing beats a properly prepared wizard in D&D, regardless of the edition you're playing. But the compromise is that HP pool. Nothing flops as hard as an unprepared wizard (unless it's an abjuration wizard, in which case it's one of the hardest characters to kill).

That said, I also find it weird that wizards can break the rule of they find scrolls outside of their +1. However, that's a pretty big if for most AL games, so I doubt it matters. Regardless, I find the PHB +1 rule to be strange in general. WotC should be able to balance the books against each other, not just rhe PHB. And IMO, they shouldn't be as worried about balance as they seem to be.

Temperjoke
2017-08-07, 12:54 PM
Wouldn't the only way to spells outside their +1 be due to the fact that the official campaign came out after that +1 did? And even then, unless it's a specifically called-out scroll or spellbook, wouldn't the spellbooks and scrolls be randomly generated from the DMG tables? So, like always, doesn't it come down to DM fiat in giving extra spells to wizards? Which the AL is supposed to keep under control to a certain extent?

I mean, I haven't gone through all the published AL content to examine what spells could potentially be in there for a wizard to copy, but I imagine that it's less of an issue in reality than in imagination.

Naanomi
2017-08-07, 12:55 PM
It isn't a big deal for found scrolls to copy over (they are loot, after all); it is a bit more silly when wizards are copyin spells from each other... but it still takes downtime and cash

Easy_Lee
2017-08-07, 01:04 PM
It isn't a big deal for found scrolls to copy over (they are loot, after all); it is a bit more silly when wizards are copyin spells from each other... but it still takes downtime and cash

I wonder how many AL groups have multiple wizards. The last two AL groups I joined had zero, but I've heard a lot of people like Bladesinger.

Still, this is a relevant point. Two friends could easily join the same group and use downtime to copy each other's spells. It isn't like wizards have better uses for downtime and cash. Come to think of it, that's a pretty good idea regardless of source books used.

Naanomi
2017-08-07, 01:25 PM
I wonder how many AL groups have multiple wizards. The last two AL groups I joined had zero, but I've heard a lot of people like Bladesinger.

Still, this is a relevant point. Two friends could easily join the same group and use downtime to copy each other's spells. It isn't like wizards have better uses for downtime and cash. Come to think of it, that's a pretty good idea regardless of source books used.
I'm sure it happens; I know a Tome-lock who convinced her boyfriend to play a wizard so she could snag his rituals

Waterdeep Merch
2017-08-07, 02:07 PM

It's a pretty powerful option for two friends that regularly attend multiple games, perhaps at an active gaming store or a convention. It's even pretty cool for fluff reasons, since you'd have two wizards seeing each other as peers, convening every now and then and sharing notes.

Maxilian
2017-08-07, 02:54 PM
If it applies to spells too.

Then i will go with Elemental Evil, for any melee caster. (Excluding Blade Singer that's SCAG).

Mjolnirbear
2017-08-07, 10:30 PM
What about learning SCAG cantrips from Magic Initiate?

Naanomi
2017-08-07, 10:43 PM
What about learning SCAG cantrips from Magic Initiate?
Only if SCAG is your +1 Book

Backgrounds: everyone has access to all of them

Cantrips, Races, Subclasses, Feats: Only if your +1 Book contains them

Spells: Can only learn through leveling up or prepare spells if they contained in your +1 Book; with the exception of Wizards, Warlocks with Book of Ancient Secrets, or characters with the Ritual Caster feat; all of whom may learn and cast spells from scrolls found in adventures or other players as per normal rules for doing so based on that spell casting ability.

However, they are still limited to spells contained in their +1 Sourcebook acquired for leveling up, earned from feats, or from any other class ability apart from scribing into their spell/ritual book

ZorroGames
2017-08-08, 07:30 AM
If it applies to spells too.

Then i will go with Elemental Evil, for any melee caster. (Excluding Blade Singer that's SCAG).

Unless you are a cleric. When I skimmed the PDF there seemed to be nothing for Cleric spells. Did I miss it?

ZorroGames
2017-08-08, 08:59 AM
It really depends on the character <sbip>

Note: backgrounds are excluded in this rule meaning you can use SCAG backgrounds, but still use a different book.

Okay. Between this and custom backgrounds I am back to what gives more versatility to my preferred Clerics and Fighters (or even Monks) of the Volos, EE, and SCAG (since Xanathar (spelling) is not published yet)?

Naanomi
2017-08-08, 09:04 AM
Okay. Between this and custom backgrounds I am back to what gives more versatility to my preferred Clerics and Fighters (or even Monks) of the Volos, EE, and SCAG (since Xanathar (spelling) is not published yet)?
1) If you want a specific subclass or race: the book they are in
2) Otherwise, if your build wants to use a melee cantrip: SCAG
3) Otherwise, if you are a caster then choose EE for the widest Spell access
4) Otherwise, it doesn't matter at all and just use the PHB

mgshamster
2017-08-08, 09:11 AM
Since you don't have to pick your +1 at character creation, then my guidelines is:

1) Is there a book that has an option I want? Use that book.
2) Otherwise, wait and just use PHB.

Lolzyking
2017-08-08, 09:41 AM
the phb+1 rule is kinda silly at the moment, the current options are not worth the future options at all.

Current options available.
Elemental evil players ammendment (genasi, goliaths, deep dwarfs, EE spells, ect.)

Scag ( also deep dwarfs, new subclasses, best cantrip in game.)

Volo (Also goliaths, new races, everyone bitches about yuan ti's)

Soon to be added options

-Xanathurs guide to everything (20+ new sub classes, new feats, new races, lots of spells)

-Dms guild- yes if your character has access to all Al legal dms guild character options.

also obligatory triton cannot get EE elemental spells , Aasimar cannot play a radiant monk, Genasi cannot be storm sorcerers, Tabaxi cannot swashbuckle.

They really should lump EE, Scag, and volo's together when compared to these two upcoming choices.

DeAnno
2017-08-09, 01:31 AM
I'm sure it happens; I know a Tome-lock who convinced her boyfriend to play a wizard so she could snag his rituals

I'm sure there's an innuendo there if you look hard enough...

Beelzebubba
2017-08-09, 02:46 AM
I'm sure there's an innuendo there if you look hard enough...

hehe heheh 'hard'

coredump
2017-08-09, 08:26 AM
This doesn't really help wizards all that much. They only get the 'extra' spells if they can copy them from scroll or spell book. That tends to be a pretty big restriction.

ZorroGames
2017-08-09, 09:00 AM
This doesn't really help wizards all that much. They only get the 'extra' spells if they can copy them from scroll or spell book. That tends to be a pretty big restriction.

Last night in our AL game the Wizard level 3 practically jumped across the room when we found a spellbook! :smallwink: