PDA

View Full Version : Xanthar's Guide - Circle of Dreams Druid effectively confirmed

nickl_2000
2017-08-07, 07:08 AM
I may be late to the boat, but there was a tweet from JC that just effectively confirmed Druid Circle of Dreams

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/893905138099732480

Millstone85
2017-08-07, 08:23 AM
That's great news. Or maybe not. See, I love the idea because I think this part of the fluff...
Druids who are members of the Circle of Dreams hail from regions that have strong ties to the Feywild. The druids’ guardianship of the natural world makes for a natural alliance between them and good-aligned fey. is something druids from other circles would consider to be utter nonsense.

The Feywild, they would say, is a distorted reflection of the natural world, where arcane magic reigns supreme. It might look prettier than the Shadowfell, but a true druid should despise both.

Chunkosaurus
2017-08-07, 08:35 AM
That's great news. Or maybe not. See, I love the idea because I think this part of the fluff... is something druids from other circles would consider to be utter nonsense.

The Feywild, they would say, is a distorted reflection of the natural world, where arcane magic reigns supreme. It might look prettier than the Shadowfell, but a true druid should despise both.

I disagree the Feywild is wild natural magic at it's core. It's unpredictable and wild just like nature.

Naanomi
2017-08-07, 08:40 AM
That's great news. Or maybe not. See, I love the idea because I think this part of the fluff... is something druids from other circles would consider to be utter nonsense.

I disagree... i see both the Shadowfell and Feywild as 'parts' of the world, normally inaccessible... the Shadowfell the part 'too close' to negative energy, and the Feywild is the part 'too close' to positive energy.

While it is still in some way 'unnatural' it is also part of the flow of that 'life energy' and thus a viral connection to those concerned with fostering 'life'. Shadowfel is only 'worse' because negative-energy flowing 'backwards' from there to the Prime is so much more inherently disruptive than a little extra positive energy is.

Millstone85
2017-08-07, 09:19 AM
I disagree the Feywild is wild natural magic at it's core. It's unpredictable and wild just like nature.More like a wild magic surge.

See, the Feywild, with that name and the symmetry with the Shadowfell, was introduced in 4e, and 4e had a telling piece of lore regarding eladrin and elves.
Eladrin are close cousins to the elves and are occasionally called high elves or gray elves. Eladrin favor the Feywild and arcane magic more than elves do, but the two races hold each other in high regard. They share a burning hatred for the third branch of their race—the drow.
At the dawn of creation, elves and eladrin were a single race dwelling both in the Feywild and in the world, and passing freely between the two. When the drow rebelled against their kin, under the leadership of the god Lolth, the resulting battles tore the fey kingdoms asunder. Ties between the peoples of the Feywild and the world grew tenuous, and eventually the elves and eladrin grew into two distinct races. Elves are descended from those who lived primarily in the world, and they no longer dream of the Feywild. They love the forests and wilds of the world that they have made their home. This is where I got the impression that regarding the Feywild as the triumph of nature magic would be a mistake. Wood elves, which 4e just called elves, embraced nature by severing their ties with the Feywild.

Then again, Heroes of the Feywild gave us this description of the place...
The Feywild is a realm of magic; this much anyone who has ever heard a fairy tale knows. The very substance of the plane is infused with arcane magic, and many of the creatures that inhabit the realm are so tightly bound to arcane power that it is a natural and instinctive part of their very being. As such, it should come as no surprise that those who hail from, and venture into, the Feywild often develop a natural aptitude for arcane magic.

However, the Feywild is also a wild and verdant place where primeval natural landscapes remain untouched since their creation. Moreover, the influence of the Feywild spills over into the mortal world at fey crossings. Many of those who live on the borders of the Feywild and the natural world develop a rapport with primal spirits, emboldened by the verdant growth the Feywild fosters. which I guess would just make it a place of great magic in general.

Edit:
I disagree... i see both the Shadowfell and Feywild as 'parts' of the world, normally inaccessible... the Shadowfell the part 'too close' to negative energy, and the Feywild is the part 'too close' to positive energy.Eh, you are right. Druids wouldn't despise the Feywild, just like they wouldn't despise the part of the Plane of Fire that ressembles the Material. It is all part of the balance.

Still, druids would probably consider the Material to be where the balance is realized, and superior for it.

jaappleton
2017-08-07, 10:03 AM
It's a bit odd, because JC rarely confirms information.

Mearls is usually the one with loose lips.

JC must be quite excited about Xan's. Which is a good thing, because if he's excited, it means he's happy with the product.

nickl_2000
2017-08-07, 10:08 AM
It's a bit odd, because JC rarely confirms information.

Mearls is usually the one with loose lips.

JC must be quite excited about Xan's. Which is a good thing, because if he's excited, it means he's happy with the product.

Someone may have caught him in just the right mood too. It could also be a clever market tactic, after all I'm sure many people are talking about it.

I hope you are right though, I hope he is excited about it because it's great. I'm hoping for it to be great myself.

jaappleton
2017-08-07, 10:10 AM
Someone may have caught him in just the right mood too. It could also be a clever market tactic, after all I'm sure many people are talking about it.

I hope you are right though, I hope he is excited about it because it's great. I'm hoping for it to be great myself.

Very true.

What do we have to do to get JC in the right mood? I want more info.

No, I'm not contemplating sending him an Edible Arrangement.... >_>

nickl_2000
2017-08-07, 10:14 AM
Very true.

What do we have to do to get JC in the right mood? I want more info.

No, I'm not contemplating sending him an Edible Arrangement.... >_>

Do you listen to the Dragon Talk Podcast? They actually have a pre-made drop to put on top of him when he speaks a little to freely.

Naanomi
2017-08-07, 10:42 AM
More like a wild magic surge.

See, the Feywild, with that name and the symmetry with the Shadowfell, was introduced in 4e, and 4e had a telling piece of lore regarding eladrin and elves. This is where I got the impression that regarding the Feywild as the triumph of nature magic would be a mistake. Wood elves, which 4e just called elves, embraced nature by severing their ties with the Feywild.

Then again, Heroes of the Feywild gave us this description of the place... which I guess would just make it a place of great magic in general.

Edit:Eh, you are right. Druids wouldn't despise the Feywild, just like they wouldn't despise the part of the Plane of Fire that ressembles the Material. It is all part of the balance.

Still, druids would probably consider the Material to be where the balance is realized, and superior for it.
Druids from the Prime certainally would... Planar Druids are often more of an 'a place for everything and everything in its place' types... the Abyss is natural for the Abyss, Negative Energy is natural for Negative Energy... just don't go mixing things up too much (though some mixing is natural) or twisting things beyond their own nature and you should be good. Oh, and the Far Realm's 'place' is no where near anything but itself

jaappleton
2017-08-07, 10:56 AM
Do you listen to the Dragon Talk Podcast? They actually have a pre-made drop to put on top of him when he speaks a little to freely.

I don't listen to it, but is that really true? Huh.

I only interact with him via Twitter, so its interesting to hear how he is in other mediums.