PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Question solved, thanks!

TheLogman
2007-08-09, 05:52 PM
I hear about it all the time, and apparently it allows you to take 2 classes at once? Like, how does it work, and what book was it in? Also, are Gestalt characters madly broken in comparison to standard characters? Cause it seems like they would be.

Some explanation was much appreciated.

Thanks for the Links, sorry for the lack of Searching.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-09, 05:54 PM
Gestalt In The SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm).

Reel On, Love
2007-08-09, 05:54 PM
Look, it's easy. Just freaking google "D&D Gestalt". That should be your *first* resort.

Amiria
2007-08-09, 05:55 PM
Originally from Unearthed Arcana.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm

jmt11190
2007-08-09, 05:57 PM
Also the enemies you encounter are gestalt so they are often as strong as you are. I also believe that the CR for the challenges are raised by 1 and the resulting experience gained is treated as 1 CR lower to balance out the power.

Overlord
2007-08-09, 06:05 PM
Also the enemies you encounter are gestalt so they are often as strong as you are. I also believe that the CR for the challenges are raised by 1 and the resulting experience gained is treated as 1 CR lower to balance out the power.

That might be a houserule you have, but it's not official.

The entire point of gestalt is to beef up the power level of the party. Giving less xp or making the monsters tougher just defeats the purpose of the rule. And making all monsters gestalt would be an insane amount of work for the DM. The BBEG, and maybe a few "mini-bosses," sure, but all monsters is silly.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-09, 06:09 PM
That might be a houserule you have, but it's not official.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/uhavagerddagazebo.jpg
Wrong.

Challenge Ratings

Gestalt characters can obviously handle more opposition than standard characters. The simplest way to compensate for this is to use adventures with tougher monsters. In general, a party of four gestalt characters can handle multiple encounters with a single monster of a Challenge Rating equal to their average level + 1. If the monster poses a challenge because it forces the characters to succeed on life-threatening saving throws (such as with a medusa or a wyvern), it’s even weaker against gestalt characters, who have few or no weak saves. Characters can handle multiple encounters with such monsters at a Challenge Rating equal to their average level + 2. A shambling mound (CR 6) or a medusa (CR 7) would be appropriate average encounters for four 5th-level gestalt characters. If you take this approach, realize that characters gain levels faster than in a typical campaign, because they’re gaining experience points as if those encounters were harder than they actually are. You’re obviously comfortable with a high-powered game, so faster advancement may be an additional benefit, not a problem. if you rely on published adventures, this is the easiest option.

If you want to keep level advancement at the standard average of thirteen encounters per level, reduce the Challenge Ratings of all the monsters and NPCs in your campaign by 1 (or by 2 if they rely on failed PC saving throws to pose a challenge). The shambling mound and the medusa would both become CR 5 monsters, and the gestalt characters gain levels at the usual rate. Monsters with a Challenge Rating of 1 become CR 1/2, and other monsters with fractional Challenge Ratings have their CRs cut in half (kobolds become CR 1/6, in other words). Many staple low-CR monsters don’t work well against a party of gestalt characters, even 1st-level gestalts.

Adventure Design

Once you adjust the Challenge Ratings, you have one more subtle factor to consider when you design adventures for gestalt characters. You must take into account the greater “adventure stamina” of gestalt characters both when you’re preparing an adventure and when you’re at the gaming table running the adventure. Because gestalt characters have more hit points, better saving throws, and deeper spellcasting lists than standard characters, they can safely tackle more encounters in a row before they run low on hit points and spells.

Gestalt characters can, for example, delve deeply into a dungeon on their first foray, when the dungeon denizens may not be expecting them. The defenders of any site in a site-based adventure can’t rely on wearing out a party of gestalt characters. They have to pose enough of a threat that the gestalt characters retreat because they’re worried about their hides, not just because the wizard is almost out of spells.

In event-based adventures, gestalt characters can wreak havoc with timetables because they have more resources at their disposal. For example, a 10th-level gestalt wizard/sorcerer can easily teleport the entire party four times a day-without resorting to scrolls. That means two round trips to visit the wizened sage who’s an expert in rune translation, each in the blink of an eye.

At the gaming table, you may want to plan longer gaming sessions because rest periods for the characters are natural stopping points for the players, and gestalt characters have fewer rest periods. if you do stop in the middle of the action, encourage your players to take careful notes of which class abilities they expend, which spells they have active, and other relevant information. Gestalt characters are complex enough that relying solely on memory is a recipe for trouble.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/rElaK6VsM1.jpg

TheLogman
2007-08-09, 06:10 PM
Alright, sorry for bothering, I thought it was copyrighted by Wizards and wouldn't be in the SRD, but obviously it is, sorry for wasting your time.

And thanks for the links.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-08-09, 06:13 PM
Fax, those pictures are hilarious.

As an alternative to tougher enemies, you can simply give *more* enemies. Double the enemies! This isn't the same thing--after all, the party only has one set of actions--but it could make for an interesting campaign premise.

Picture a world where everyone and everything has a twin. Occasionally identical, usually not, but a twin they're inseparable from.
The PCs are the people who don't. They're two people in one... thus, they have Gestalt levels.
I think that could be interesting, if you expanded it to be more than a gimmick.

Starbuck_II
2007-08-09, 06:23 PM
I hear about it all the time, and apparently it allows you to take 2 classes at once? Like, how does it work, and what book was it in? Also, are Gestalt characters madly broken in comparison to standard characters? Cause it seems like they would be.

Some explanation was much appreciated.

Thanks for the Links, sorry for the lack of Searching.

Yes, two classes at once. Even Prcs must have another.

And you use Gestalht with gestalht so not broken.

Fax Celestis
2007-08-09, 06:27 PM

Now I need a "YOU HAVE PLEASED THE GAZEBO" one.

Quietus
2007-08-09, 08:47 PM

As an alternative to tougher enemies, you can simply give *more* enemies. Double the enemies! This isn't the same thing--after all, the party only has one set of actions--but it could make for an interesting campaign premise.

Picture a world where everyone and everything has a twin. Occasionally identical, usually not, but a twin they're inseparable from.
The PCs are the people who don't. They're two people in one... thus, they have Gestalt levels.
I think that could be interesting, if you expanded it to be more than a gimmick.

Neat idea - I curse you for giving it to me! :smallfurious: