PDA

View Full Version : 1st time running 5e. Putting them through a twisted version of phandelver.

mabriss lethe
2017-08-07, 10:20 AM
I've got a group that's new to d&d and I'm starting by running them through the phandelver adventure using the quick start pre gen characters so that we all get a better feel for the game before going into character creation. I'm houseruling something though. At any time between encounters, the players may switch to a different pre gen character. I want them to be able to experiment with multiple types of characters before settling into what they want to play. I've decided that there's an in-universe reason for it that plays into the long-term meta plot. Phandelver was an experiment by the bbegs. It was an attempt to briefly merge several parallel realities for the purpose of harvesting the souls of the dead duplicates. (the bbegs are actually high level versions of the pre gen characters attempting to merge with their duplicates to attain godhood.). Now, I just need to buckle down and read through the adventure to see where I can plant more plot hooks.

MustacheManny
2017-08-07, 11:29 AM
Ooh, that's a fun concept! It not only gives the new players a chance to try out some different classes but they also get a really neat story out of it too! Will everyone there ever be any duplicate pc's? As in if two people want to be the cleric or wizard would you allow that or does everyone need to take turns?

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-07, 12:21 PM
I applaud your approach. *golf clap* (where is that thumbs up smilie?)

mabriss lethe
2017-08-07, 12:40 PM
Ooh, that's a fun concept! It not only gives the new players a chance to try out some different classes but they also get a really neat story out of it too! Will everyone there ever be any duplicate pc's? As in if two people want to be the cleric or wizard would you allow that or does everyone need to take turns?

Oooh, duplicates, definitely. Though by the time the module concludes I expect that all of the players will have moved on to a scratch built character. (once the player decides to upgrade to custom, no more swapping. Custom characters are "aberrant" beings. Ones that shouldn't have been caught up in the merger )

Estrillian
2017-08-08, 06:21 AM
Love the idea

One thing to think about, Phandelver likes to connect PCs to NPCs via the factions. This way you can actually give out personal connections instead, because they will shift with the characters, which could be a lot of fun. Don't have someone who can persuade the Townmaster to speak with you ... shift to someone who can.

And I presume if people get killed you can have the switch to alternate universe versions of themselves as well? That would let you be nice and brutal, which is reasonable, because the low levels of 5E *are* brutal.