PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I just found out

Meepwizard
2017-08-07, 01:21 PM
So after a while in my first campaign(I'm a player, we're all new to DnD) we started to use the rolling method for generating someone's stats. I recently found out that you roll, and then you choose where each stat goes(I thought it was you put the stats in order). That would've been helpful to know when I made a bard with 4 con and 7 cha( I was dead set on becoming a bard,but had it multiclass because of my 16 in dex because my party wanted a useful character, whatever that means. I was wondering what you all have learned during a campaign a rule that you thought you knew, but really didn't

Seekergeek
2017-08-07, 01:25 PM
Well...I hate to be the one to point out another rules flub but you would have needed a 13 cha in order to multiclass out of bard...

For my part, the transition from 3.5 to 5 (having largely skipped 4), our group had a fairly large number of these sorts of mixups at first.

Meepwizard
2017-08-07, 01:27 PM
Again this was(is) everyone's first campaign

Arcangel4774
2017-08-07, 01:35 PM
Most people who play with rolling in order do so because that's how DnD originally was. Back then, of course, you were expected to die and reroll characters more often.

ZorroGames
2017-08-07, 01:59 PM
Some nights multiple times in the same night's game.

Scripten
2017-08-07, 03:48 PM
I still have my players roll for stats in my main IRL game. This is a campaign among friends, though, so it's not hard to set expectations or make allowances for when some characters have high or low stats. All that said, rolling doesn't produce markedly different starting stats than point buy, even when I allow them to roll 7 sets and drop the lowest.

Brawnspear
2017-08-07, 03:57 PM
I do a combo of rolling and point buy. 3d6 in order and then 17 points as you see fit. Costs 1 point to switch a stat for another and can max point buy to 16 (3 points), if you roll higher that's fine. Leads to some relatively powerful characters that still have a chance for some flaws, like our half-orc wild magic sorcerer with 17 charisma and 5 int and wis. He's a peach.

GlenSmash!
2017-08-07, 04:41 PM
Let's see, stuff I found out after my first session (for some more than a few sessions).

Bonus Actions, you only get one. I missed that upon reading the rules the first time around.

Can only gain the benefit of 1 long rest per 24 hours.

That's all I can remember for now, but I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-08-09, 02:46 PM
So after a while in my first campaign(I'm a player, we're all new to DnD) we started to use the rolling method for generating someone's stats. I recently found out that you roll, and then you choose where each stat goes(I thought it was you put the stats in order).

It depends on which system of character creation your group has agreed upon. Being able to put them in any order is more common, but some groups do go with "place them in the order rolled." As you just discovered, it's a good idea to make sure you know which one they're using when making your character.