PDA

View Full Version : Mystic NPC help

j_spencer93
2017-08-07, 01:31 PM
Ok so I was updating an older 3.5 campaign i built to 5th edition, and had the Mystic planned to be the class of the main boss. However, after seeing the class in use, it is extremely broken (more of a jack of all trades). However, as a single boss against 3-4 players would it be more of a fair fight? Action economy may balance it, or so I was thinking.

Ventruenox
2017-08-07, 02:02 PM
Single boss battles in 5E usually don't work so well. We rarely have one that lasts more than 2-3 rounds despite CR levels. When it comes to Mystics, adding a Discipline or two to any villain can make them both interesting and dangerous, but the action economy cripples the solo combatant nearly every time.

Koren
2017-08-07, 05:59 PM
[due to having never DM'd, probably terrible] Idea: what about giving the guy multiple turns and reactions per round? You can fluff it as him being unnaturally fast, maybe introduce an artifact that grants him that speed but can only work for him (maybe because he's a Mystic or perhaps because he figures out how to activate it).

This way it's not just 3-6 people smashing one guy who can't do anything about it.

JBPuffin
2017-08-07, 06:03 PM
[due to having never DM'd, probably terrible] Idea: what about giving the guy multiple turns and reactions per round? You can fluff it as him being unnaturally fast, maybe introduce an artifact that grants him that speed but can only work for him (maybe because he's a Mystic or perhaps because he figures out how to activate it).

This way it's not just 3-6 people smashing one guy who can't do anything about it.

This guy has a good idea - also, things called Legendary Actions exist for just this purpose. Combine that with higher HP than a PC would have (because you never, never just stat up a PC and throw that at a party as a "fair fight," regardless of level disparity) and you can make it work.

j_spencer93
2017-08-07, 09:15 PM
Oops. Noticed i forgot to mention i did give her Legendary actions and lair actions.
She is heavily inspired from an old 3.5 character, so may give her a unique item that grants an extra reaction per turn or something, call it her psi crystal.