PDA

View Full Version : Good multiplayer RPGs

Morrandir
2007-08-09, 06:45 PM
My friends and I are starting to get a little bored with the RTS and FPS games we play all the time at LAN parties, so we've decided to give some RPGs a shot. Problem is, we can't really find any. So, I've come here to ask for some guidance.

It needs to be fast-paced enough to keep everyone interested, which pretty much means "no half-hour dialogues with Random Peasant #102 that everyone has to listen to, because, for some reason, the game pauses once someone approaches him." However, it can't be so fast that it becomes a free-for-all (which happens when we play Diablo II. One guy ALWAYS breaks off from the rest of us, gets 10 or so levels ahead, and wonders why everyone is mad at him.) As far as length of game, anything will do, just so long as things keep moving.

Mechanics-wise, only requirement would be a magic system (if fantasy). Extra credit for a mana-based one, but it's not necessary. Any sort of setting will do.

Any ideas?

P.S. Also, it needs to have offline capabilities. Not all of us have interblag connections.

Shikton
2007-08-10, 01:04 AM
Icewind Dale. Both of them. Party of up to 6 people, and it's action based. There will be conversations and questing, but most of these lead to fighting. I've played these online heaps of times, and it's always great fun.

BR4life
2007-08-11, 05:25 PM
If your looking for PC ones i would suggest Two Worlds (comes out the 21st) or Never Winter Nights (1 or 2). Those are the only one i can think of right now.

tape_measure
2007-08-11, 09:02 PM
My vote's Neverwinter Nights. There are tons of options (new modules, epansions,etc) for NWN1 and NWN2 is just starting to break open with new material.

Good luck!

tannish2
2007-08-12, 05:07 AM
theres always diablo, the first one, from what i remember the multiplayer is fun...

Were-Sandwich
2007-08-12, 05:44 AM
Neverwinter Nights, any day.

Ranis
2007-08-12, 08:09 AM
Look into the old school for:

Dungeons and Dragons Heroes (Xbox)
X-Men Legends (Xbox)
X-Men Legends II (Xbox, PC)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (X360, PS3, PC) still play this.]
Any of the Gauntlet games

Warcraft 3 and it's expansion: Frozen Throne-very, very good RPG-based homemade games using their game creator. FT has something for everyone-I suggest trying The Black Road RPG and Final Fantasy Epic RPG first. (Someone will need to have the files from online to share with the others, they don't come with the disc.)

I can't think of any more at this point, if I do I'll let you know.

Castaras
2007-08-12, 08:14 AM
Dungeon Siege II has fun multiplayer.

Although I'll second NWN.