PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Would Knowledge Cleric MC be worth it for a level 5 Druid?

Noruni
2017-08-07, 03:51 PM
Looking at what I get from multiclassing into a Knowledge Cleric. Party consist of an Assassin Rogue, Battlemaster Fighter, and Open Hand Monk. As the only caster(Land Druid), I tend to use my spells to CC, heal, and bring the utility we need.

5 more prepared spell slots, letting me pick more spells from Druid by choosing to prepare them as Cleric spells.
Guiding Bolt as a ST damage spell without concentration
Command as a CC spell without concentration, which Druids lack.
Identify is a low level utility spell we lack. As we are going to be exploring, we do not have the luxury of going to town to get a Wizard to Identify items for us.
Shield of Faith and Sanctuary are good buff spells when fighting a single big bad, Sanctuary without concentration even more so.
The DM lets me roll knowledge check on the enemies we fight, the expertise on Arcana and Religion would be useful as I roll at least 1 of those checks a session. Let's me add History to round out my knowledge toolkit and Insight/Stealth.
3 cantrips, I can add Mending, Guidance and maybe Resistance.

The only cons I see is being a level behind for feats, wildshape flight, and higher level spells. It seems to me that the benefits outweigh waiting an extra level, specially since I'll still have the slots. If not now, I'd wait until level 12 to do so, but by then I'd have gone through months where the spells and expertise would've been useful.

kladams707
2017-08-08, 08:28 AM
My answer is "whatever allows you the most fun that you feel will also help the players/characters and further game". Basically, I don't see any major downside here. As long as it works for you and isn't just motivated by filling a hole in the party, go for it.

Specter
2017-08-08, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure you can prepare Druid spells with your Cleric prepared spells, but Bless and Guiding Bolt along with being the smart guy make it already worthwhile.

Falcon X
2017-08-08, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure you can prepare Druid spells with your Cleric prepared spells, but Bless and Guiding Bolt along with being the smart guy make it already worthwhile.
This is true. While you will share the same spell slots between the two classes, you still prepare your druid and cleric spells separately.

Princess
2017-08-08, 01:48 PM
This is true. While you will share the same spell slots between the two classes, you still prepare your druid and cleric spells separately.

Which also provides an opportunity to take full advantage of rituals from both classes, once you've covered your other bases. Detect and purify everything.

It sounds like you've thought this out pretty well, and a 1 level dip from your main casting class won't hurt much. The main reason a druid would hesitate to MC before level 6 is for the moon druid magic attack feature. Land's Stride is neat, but it can probably wait for you to get that awesome Knowledge Cleric utility first.

Sans.
2017-08-08, 03:20 PM
It's a good multiclass. SAD, you don't lose casting progression, some interesting and strong features. The reason it's not really done is because most druids are Moon druids, which don't benefit as much from the dip.

DarkKnightJin
2017-08-08, 03:53 PM
It's a good multiclass. SAD, you don't lose casting progression, some interesting and strong features. The reason it's not really done is because most druids are Moon druids, which don't benefit as much from the dip.

Moon Druids would have more benefit from a dip into Monk, I feel. Bump their Beastshape AC a bit.

I've thought about rolling a Druid, but ai can't help but feel the Beast shaping loses some of its bite as you get to the higher levels..

If I were to make a Druid, I'd most likely go Circle of Dreams as it's in the UA right now.
We'll see how XGtE changes things, come November.

SharkForce
2017-08-08, 04:02 PM

that is true... but you *can* choose, say, cure wounds and healing word, which are druid spells (which you would probably prepare reasonably often as the sole healer in a group) but are also cleric spells, thus freeing up druid spells prepared for other things.

Princess
2017-08-08, 05:02 PM
that is true... but you *can* choose, say, cure wounds and healing word, which are druid spells (which you would probably prepare reasonably often as the sole healer in a group) but are also cleric spells, thus freeing up druid spells prepared for other things.

Definitely a good reason to prepare a 1st level spell Venn diagram.

djreynolds
2017-08-08, 06:11 PM
A 13 in int or chr and you mc into other classes as well

Tetrasodium
2017-08-09, 12:11 AM
Druid with a cleric dip is actually a fairly great investment, but I honestly wonder just how useful the knowledge cleric over life, light, tempest, or war