PDA

View Full Version : Not the UA you were looking for: A homebrew thread

Beechgnome
2017-08-07, 06:39 PM
Sometimes you want to see some new 5e stuff. Sometimes, you wait a month to see it. And sometimes, it isn't exactly what you were looking for.

Which is fine. Free stuff is free, and not worth complaining too much about.

But you've still got that itch. Maybe the forum can help scratch it?

If anyone has a homebrew you haven't posted on the boards yet, feel free to post it here.

And since I started this thread, I'll post a sacrificial lamb: like real UA, it will be flawed. Unlike UA, you won't have to wait a month to provide feedback.

Barbarian archetype: Path of Silent Fury

Barbarians who follow this path learned their ways from a lost clan that, for generations, lived under the thumb of a caste of witch-lords.

The clan tried to revolt, but each time, they were put down, their leaders punished. Finally, the witch-lords tired of the insurrections and gathered the children of the clan and cut their tongues out to ensure future generations would not rise up.

This act of cruelty would prove their undoing. The children grew, learned new ways of fighting and, gaining the favour of their old gods, learned ways of turning their silence into a weapon. The witch-lords and their armies did not hear them coming, and they fell, another lost kingdom whose passing was silent.

Since then the Path of Silent Fury has passed from generation to generation and been shared with like-minded clans. Though few today willingly self-mutilate, many of its followers tend to be more taciturn than talkative. Most have an unquenchable hatred for magic and its practitioners.

Soundless Rage

At 3rd level, when you use your bonus action to rage, you let out a silent scream that envelopes the area immediately around you. While under this effect, your words carry no sound and spells or actions that require vocalization do not function. You also benefit from the following effects:

You gain resistance to thunder damage.

You have advantage on stealth checks to avoid being heard.

You are effectively invisible to creatures that rely on tremorsense to see.

If you successfully grapple an opponent, that opponent must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC = 8 + Constitution modifier + Proficiency bonus) or they are silenced as per the spell. They may break the silence by escaping the grapple or if your rage ends, or by making a successful Wisdom saving throw at the end of their turn. Once a creature has made this saving throw they are immune to this effect for 24 hours.

These effects end when your rage ends.

Stealthy skirmishers

At 6th level, you learn to attack from a distance and harry your foes. When you use your strength ability to make a thrown weapon attack, you may add your rage bonus to the damage rolls.

In addition, when you take the attack action you can choose to forgo your second attack and instead take the Hide or Disengage action.

Wordless communicators

At 10th level, your lifetime devoted to your path grants you a unique ability to communicate, even when few words are spoken. You gain profiency in two of the following skills: Animal handling, Deception, Insight, Intimidation, Performance and Persuasion.

Soundless Aura

At 14th level your soundless rage spreads to affect a larger area. An aura of silence surrounds you in a 5-foot radius, malleable to your will.

You and anyone in the radius that you choose are immune to thunder damage, are inaudible to perception checks to listen and are invisible to tremorsense. The area of silence would allow you to, for example, kick down a door soundlessly, as long as the door did not fly out of the radius.

In addition, any creature you choose that starts its turn within the area of effect must make a Wisdom saving throw or is silenced as per the spell until they leave the area or the end of their next turn, whichever comes first. Once a creature has made this saving throw they are immune to this effect for 24 hours.

DracoKnight
2017-08-08, 12:21 AM
Posting from mobile, so I can't do anything fancy, but here's my offering for this thread:

Otherworldly Patron: Vampire Lord https://docs.google.com/document/d/16PAxnL3Cts3b7qVG81EejOBUl6z9h0jf8aHvnrVgyzU

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-08-08, 03:19 AM
So... here's the thing: much as I love the idea behind this thread, I've got a stupid-huge array of 5e race conversions I've worked on over the years. How can I submit those to this thread without overloading it?

Requiemforlust
2017-08-08, 07:35 AM
Sometimes you want to see some new 5e stuff. Sometimes, you wait a month to see it. And sometimes, it isn't exactly what you were looking for.

Which is fine. Free stuff is free, and not worth complaining too much about.

But you've still got that itch. Maybe the forum can help scratch it?

If anyone has a homebrew you haven't posted on the boards yet, feel free to post it here.

And since I started this thread, I'll post a sacrificial lamb: like real UA, it will be flawed. Unlike UA, you won't have to wait a month to provide feedback.

Barbarian archetype: Path of Silent Fury

Barbarians who follow this path learned their ways from a lost clan that, for generations, lived under the thumb of a caste of witch-lords.

The clan tried to revolt, but each time, they were put down, their leaders punished. Finally, the witch-lords tired of the insurrections and gathered the children of the clan and cut their tongues out to ensure future generations would not rise up.

This act of cruelty would prove their undoing. The children grew, learned new ways of fighting and, gaining the favour of their old gods, learned ways of turning their silence into a weapon. The witch-lords and their armies did not hear them coming, and they fell, another lost kingdom whose passing was silent.

Since then the Path of Silent Fury has passed from generation to generation and been shared with like-minded clans. Though few today willingly self-mutilate, many of its followers tend to be more taciturn than talkative. Most have an unquenchable hatred for magic and its practitioners.

Soundless Rage

At 3rd level, when you use your bonus action to rage, you let out a silent scream that envelopes the area immediately around you. While under this effect, your words carry no sound and spells or actions that require vocalization do not function. You also benefit from the following effects:

You gain resistance to thunder damage.

You have advantage on stealth checks to avoid being heard.

You are effectively invisible to creatures that rely on tremorsense to see.

If you successfully grapple an opponent, that opponent must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC = 8 + Constitution modifier + Proficiency bonus) or they are silenced as per the spell. They may break the silence by escaping the grapple or if your rage ends, or by making a successful Wisdom saving throw at the end of their turn. Once a creature has made this saving throw they are immune to this effect for 24 hours.

These effects end when your rage ends.

Stealthy skirmishers

At 6th level, you learn to attack from a distance and harry your foes. When you use your strength ability to make a thrown weapon attack, you may add your rage bonus to the damage rolls.

In addition, when you take the attack action you can choose to forgo your second attack and instead take the Hide or Disengage action.

Wordless communicators

At 10th level, your lifetime devoted to your path grants you a unique ability to communicate, even when few words are spoken. You gain profiency in two of the following skills: Animal handling, Deception, Insight, Intimidation, Performance and Persuasion.

Soundless Aura

At 14th level your soundless rage spreads to affect a larger area. An aura of silence surrounds you in a 5-foot radius, malleable to your will.

You and anyone in the radius that you choose are immune to thunder damage, are inaudible to perception checks to listen and are invisible to tremorsense. The area of silence would allow you to, for example, kick down a door soundlessly, as long as the door did not fly out of the radius.

In addition, any creature you choose that starts its turn within the area of effect must make a Wisdom saving throw or is silenced as per the spell until they leave the area or the end of their next turn, whichever comes first. Once a creature has made this saving throw they are immune to this effect for 24 hours.

Posting from mobile, so I can't do anything fancy, but here's my offering for this thread:

Otherworldly Patron: Vampire Lord https://docs.google.com/document/d/16PAxnL3Cts3b7qVG81EejOBUl6z9h0jf8aHvnrVgyzU

First off: both of these are f*cking awesome and way better than the UA we got these last...well, since they stopped doing weekly UA.

EDIT: Draco...am I wrong in getting Alucard/Castlevania vibes from that Patron? It seems very much like Alucard from the show - or maybe it's just the 6th level feature that's making me think that. I LOVE the Eldritch Invocations you cooked up. This is a lot more Vampire-y than the Blood Patron that MFoV put out as part of All Patron's Eve. Y'all should update that book with this one, OR put the Vampire Lord on the blog. Either way, now I have it and I love it!

So... here's the thing: much as I love the idea behind this thread, I've got a stupid-huge array of 5e race conversions I've worked on over the years. How can I submit those to this thread without overloading it?

Second: POST THEM! I wantz all the racez!

ZorroGames
2017-08-08, 08:14 AM
First off: <snip>

Second: POST THEM! I wantz all the racez!

If you want them to be digestible bites post them in groups/caregories such as changed humanoids, animal based, etc., or as sneakers, casters, martials, etc., or any form of classification that seems rational.

Just no Wall of Words (unless it is a spell) because some people will be shut down trying to read it on smaller screens such as many mobile devices.

Anonymouswizard
2017-08-08, 08:17 AM
I love the idea here, I'm current working on Three Pillars Initiative, a set of rules with the following objectives:
-Give each pillar rules for initiative, Combat, Exploration, and Roleplaying.
-Outline a basic set of rules for 'Exploration Phases' and 'Social Phases', so initiative means something.
-Write some basic rules for slotting a crisis on the initiative order, to be used in any of the three (more complete rules will be in a separate Homebrewed Arcana).
-Encourage the use of nonviolent resolutions to encounters.

What I've got so far is below (warning, wall of words incoming, although I've split it into sections to try and make it easier to read).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Three Pillars Initiative
Each Initiative Pillar is intended to be usable without the other two, therefore they work slightly differently, and with the exception of Combat initiative (which details a way to make combat less combat focused) are about how to apply initiative to different situations.
Combat
Right, we've seen it all before, you get into combat and it devolves into a case of hitting the opponent with swords or spells until the fall over dead. While fun in it's own way, not everybody wants combat encounters that are just attacks flying about, but how do we encourage actions that don't reduce hp totals?

In my view the best way to change it is to change the initiative system. Rerolling initiative every round will help players notice changing tactical situations, and we'll make them think about the kind of action they want to take as well.

At the beginning of a round you can declare if you will talk, act, or fight. Don't declare what your actions are or who you're targeting, just one of the three will do.

If you want to talk you can only move, swap equipment around, and speak, but you roll 1d20+initiative modifers to determine when you act.

If you want to act you can do anything bar harming another creature, whether via hit point damage, debuffs, or so on (basically your actions can only target yourself or allies), with the exception of talking. You roll 1d12+initiative modifiers.

If you want to fight you can do whatever you want including attacking, but your initiative is only 1d8+modifiers.

Run initiative as normal, from high to low.

If you want to use an action your initiative doesn't allow you can choose to drop your initiative. It costs eight points of initiative to go from talking to acting, and four points of initiative to go from acting to fighting. Harsh, but it stops players from rolling 1d20 to talk and then dropping their initiative to fight at a higher initiative value.

I'm not overly happy with this one, seeing as it moves away from 1d20 for everything.

As an alternative always roll a d20, Talkers get a +5 bonus to initiative, actors get a +0 bonus, and Fighters get a -5 penalty. It costs six initiative points to move to a less restricted category.

For a second alternative Talkers get Advantage and Fighters get Disadvantage. Again I'd say six initiative points per category is probably worthwhile to change the kinds of actions you can access.

Exploration
Exploration initiative isn't important most of the time, such as when you're searching a room, but sometimes there's a time limit or you're attempting to escape from encroaching doom, and so in these cases we fall into 'exploration rounds'. Generally Exploration initiative is only used when there is at least one Crisis.

A standard exploration round lasts ten minutes, although depending on the situation it could last anywhere from ten seconds to several hours. Each round (or at the start of combat) every PC rolls 1d20+intelligence+initiative modifiers to determine their initiative, and turns run from the top to the bottom of the initiative order. On every turn a PC can perform one action, be it searching for traps, ransacking a chest, checking library books, attempting to open a door, or whatever else they want.

This is by far the weakest, but that's because every time you're using this you'll also have a Crisis to deal with. It's goal is to organise actions and let everybody contribute, not provide deep strategy.

Social
We all know how social encounters work in RPGs, say your thing then make your roll. Honestly, most of the time that's fine, but sometimes you don't want to model a simple deal or conversation. You want to model an evening at court, a political campaign, or some other piece of long term social manoeuvring, and for that you'll need structure.

Essentially initiative works as always, except using your Wisdom modifier instead of Dexterity, but I recommend rolling every round here. Initiative represents not only your quickness to act here, but also your ability to perceive beneficial situations. Those who are more aware can grab advantages quicker and more efficiently, so for every four points your initiative is above your opponents you receive a +1 modifier to your check.

You'll also need long term effects. I plan to go into social conditions fully in another HA, come up with some fun twists and solid rules for how to generate them, but as they are a social condition gives you a bonus or penalty to all social rolls with a particular group of people (e.g. +2 when talking to those with red hair, -4 when dealing with the alchemist's guild).

The goal here is essentially to stack positive and negative modifiers until you can get your objective, whether that's stopping your rival from having the King's ear, becoming mayor, or convincing the town to fight the goblins instead of flee. Not overly elegant, but this is essentially draft one.

I'm torn on how this will work in execution, but I like it. My only worry is using this and social conditions will lead to a lot of static modifiers, something 5e has attempted to move away from. To avoid too many modifiers just make social conditions advantage or disadvantage, although it'll lead to different gameplay.

What is a crisis
A Crisis will pop up a lot when using exploration initiative, and occasionally when using social initiative. They also might occur during the combat pillar, but this is rarer as generally the challenge there is about defeating your opponents, not avoid some form of doom. They might also occasionally appear outside of initiative, such as a curse, in which case you should substitute 'after [time period]' for 'when the crisis's initiative is reached'.

A Crisis has four components.
The Counter measures how long there is until doom is upon us.
The Effect happens every time the crisis comes up in the initiative order. This could be anything from lowering it's counter, to making an attack roll against a PC, to rolling on a chart, to lowering the counter if certain conditions are met.
The Doom is whatever takes effect when the counter hits zero. The end of the world, all virgins turn into frogs, dragons become extremely charitable and bankrupt the economy, be imaginative.
The Condition is what must be done to stop the crisis. This should generally be open ended, rather than a specific set of actions. 'Throw the One Ring into Mount Doom' is okay, as the players have a great deal of luxury in how to get the ring in there. 'Go to the mountains of madness, answer the Sphrinx's riddle, go through the Dungeon of Darkness...' is not.

A Crisis always uses a straight d20 roll for initiative.

I rather like this system, sure it's bland, generic, and reliant on GM fiat, but it's a simple way to model impending or even current doom. The nice thing is that the Effect doesn't have to lower the Counter, so as well as being useful for 'the dark lord will rise again' it can also do 'the room is flooding' or 'the town is burning', or even 'Jeff the Ranger cooked dinner last night'.

It's not for everyone, but I was also trying to keep it simple and flexible.

ZorroGames
2017-08-08, 08:35 AM
Bearable Wall of Words. Dividing sections helps.

Reaction later.

DracoKnight
2017-08-08, 08:47 AM
EDIT: Draco...am I wrong in getting Alucard/Castlevania vibes from that Patron? It seems very much like Alucard from the show - or maybe it's just the 6th level feature that's making me think that. I LOVE the Eldritch Invocations you cooked up. This is a lot more Vampire-y than the Blood Patron that MFoV put out as part of All Patron's Eve. Y'all should update that book with this one, OR put the Vampire Lord on the blog. Either way, now I have it and I love it!

It definitely has shades of Alucard in it, or at least - seeing him on the show greatly inspired this take on a Vampire Patron. And I definitely cannot publish this on the blog or on the Patreon of MFoV, I gifted it to another game design company I write for.

Armored Walrus
2017-08-08, 08:59 AM

10th level lifespan ribbon seem like very cheap immortality to me, in a universe where archwizards have to lock their souls in gems in order to achieve this, and only a select few are even powerful enough to attempt it. 1st level temp hitpoints seem quite strong, too. Other than that, I really like this one, and would use it (minus the lifespan thing) in any horror-based campaign for sure.

The Cats
2017-08-08, 09:14 AM
Circle of the Swarm Druid: A subclass that's been done before, but not by me! The goal was to make something similar to Circle of the Moon, but able to use wildshape for battlefield control and debuffing, instead of tanking and damage. Works a charm with the sentinel feat.

It has been play tested a little. A player in my ongoing campaign is playing one (Currently having gone through levels 5-10) and in a few mock battles I threw together to try and catch any massive imbalances. Seems OK so far, though magical diseases haven't seen much actual play yet, so we'll see.

Circle of the Swarm (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nDTpsoh7nXHFz96wP70c-UQOFV5be-NFC2rCSgERDiE/edit?usp=sharing)

DracoKnight
2017-08-08, 09:36 AM
10th level lifespan ribbon seem like very cheap immortality to me, in a universe where archwizards have to lock their souls in gems in order to achieve this, and only a select few are even powerful enough to attempt it. 1st level temp hitpoints seem quite strong, too. Other than that, I really like this one, and would use it (minus the lifespan thing) in any horror-based campaign for sure.

For the Temp HP, I'd considered requiring the use of a bonus action to gain the THP, but decided against it. I could add it back in though, if that would bring it in line (and at the highest level with the highest CHA possible, you're only getting 15 THP per round).

EDIT: I'm glad you like it! While the extended lifespan seems like cheap immortality, remember: you're not a full vampire, just someone bound to serve one. It's in the vampire's interest to keep you alive for a very long period of time - while not making you actually immortal like themselves.

Armored Walrus
2017-08-08, 10:14 AM
For the Temp HP, I'd considered requiring the use of a bonus action to gain the THP, but decided against it. I could add it back in though, if that would bring it in line (and at the highest level with the highest CHA possible, you're only getting 15 THP per round).

EDIT: I'm glad you like it! While the extended lifespan seems like cheap immortality, remember: you're not a full vampire, just someone bound to serve one. It's in the vampire's interest to keep you alive for a very long period of time - while not making you actually immortal like themselves.

Don't tweak the THP based on my feedback. There are folks here more qualified to comment on whether something is balanced from a game design standpoint than I am.

If you're balancing the immortality by ramping up the level of control that the patron has over the warlock, that seems like a good tradeoff. As long as you have a decent DM and a good player ;)

Beechgnome
2017-08-08, 11:50 AM
Circle of the Swarm Druid: A subclass that's been done before, but not by me! The goal was to make something similar to Circle of the Moon, but able to use wildshape for battlefield control and debuffing, instead of tanking and damage. Works a charm with the sentinel feat.

It has been play tested a little. A player in my ongoing campaign is playing one (Currently having gone through levels 5-10) and in a few mock battles I threw together to try and catch any massive imbalances. Seems OK so far, though magical diseases haven't seen much actual play yet, so we'll see.

Circle of the Swarm (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nDTpsoh7nXHFz96wP70c-UQOFV5be-NFC2rCSgERDiE/edit?usp=sharing)

This is both similar and very different from my swarm druid (see Circle of Many in Sig). I like that your diseases use existing spells; I think my way was perhaps overly complicated.

The Cats
2017-08-08, 11:53 AM

It is a little too powerful. Dark One's Blessing grants slightly more THP (25 vs 15 at level 20) but with (comparatively) severe limits on how often it will proc. Fangs in the Night grants THP pretty much whenever you want it as long as you're in melee range, and damages the baddie to boot. Also, since it's an attack you can smack 'em twice and get THP once you hit 6th level. Either requiring a bonus action or a CON save would bring it closer in power. Also consider making it a special action as opposed to an attack. It's just too easy to use compared to it's most similar warlock ability.

How often does the sunlight damage you?

This is clearly designed for a bladelock, which is fine. My preference for subclass design is to not limit other choices (if you took a Tome with this patron... well you'd never take a Tome with this patron, see what I mean?) but since Hexblade is a thing I can't complain.

The Cats
2017-08-08, 11:56 AM
This is both similar and very different from my swarm druid (see Circle of Many in Sig). I like that your diseases use existing spells; I think my way was perhaps overly complicated.

Oh dang you made that! After I put a rough draft together I realized someone may have done it already so I searched, found yours, and really wished I had come up with "Circle of the Many" for the name. (Note: I swear to glob I thought of the sudden swarm ability before reading circle of the many! Wanted to mitigate swarms' slow move speeds somehow and make shifting in combat easier without using a boring ol bonus action)

Beechgnome
2017-08-08, 12:07 PM
Oh dang you made that! After I put a rough draft together I realized someone may have done it already so I searched, found yours, and really wished I had come up with "Circle of the Many" for the name. (Note: I swear to glob I thought of the sudden swarm ability before reading circle of the many! Wanted to mitigate swarms' slow move speeds somehow and make shifting in combat easier without using a boring ol bonus action)

I don't doubt it... It's a natural fit. It's fun to see different takes on the same premise. I'm riffing off the D'ivers in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, plus that assassin in season 2 of Buffy.

The Cats
2017-08-08, 12:12 PM
I don't doubt it... It's a natural fit. It's fun to see different takes on the same premise. I'm riffing off the D'ivers in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, plus that assassin in season 2 of Buffy.

Yeah, just the image of an orc swinging his greataxe at an old man and when the blade connects the man collapses into a pile of spiders and surges over the orc, crawling all over him, over his face and into his mouth as he tries to scream... tasty, tasty flavour.

Beechgnome
2017-08-08, 01:33 PM

I would say post one, and include a link to your omnibus homebrew. My aim is to make these threads a monthly tradition (starting a new one in September), so each month you can pick your best thing. If someone wants to take a deep dive, give 'em the option, but yeah, you don't want to totally overload it.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-08-08, 04:16 PM
I would say post one, and include a link to your omnibus homebrew. My aim is to make these threads a monthly tradition (starting a new one in September), so each month you can pick your best thing. If someone wants to take a deep dive, give 'em the option, but yeah, you don't want to totally overload it.

I was actually thinking maybe tke a relatively small selection of races - campaign setting throwbacks, for example - and posting them, but fair enough; one race and the GDocit is.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

I wasn't sure how long of a race I can post; this is one of my longer races, but I also have two so far with proper "PHB" style writeups; would those be too large for this thread?

Kitsune
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Intelligence
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Foxfire: You know the Produce Flame and Dancing Light cantrips, which you can cast with Charisma. At 3rd level, you can cast Faerie Fire with this trait as a 1st level spell once per long rest, again using Charisma as your casting ability score.
Trickster’s Guile: You have Proficiency in Charisma (Deception).
Hengeyokai: Fox

Hengeyokai: You belong to a race of magical beasts that can assume partially or wholly humanoid form, as well as revert to your true bestial shape when it suits you. As an action, you can shift into any one of your three forms.

Hybrid Form is your default form. It functions as normal for a character.
In your Human Form, you gain Advantage on all Charisma (Deception) checks made to pass yourself off as human. It otherwise functions as Hybrid Form.
In your Beast Form, which is determined by your race, your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but retaining your alignment, personality, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the beast; if you and the beast have the same proficiency and the beast’s bonus is higher than yours, you use the beast’s bonus.
Changing shapes does not alter your current hit points, maximum hit points, or hit dice.
You can remain in any of these three forms as long as you wish, but must consciously choose to change shapes.
You can change shapes once at 1st level, twice at 5th level, and thrice at 11th level. You regain all expended uses of this trait when you complete a long rest.
If you have exhausted your uses of shapeshifting, you can revert back to hybrid form, but you cannot then change again into beast or human form.

Racial Feat: Fox Magic
Some kitsune are more magical than others. Through deliberate meditation or just the whims of fate, you are amongst those kitsune whose magical potency is naturally greater.
Prerequisite: Race - Kitsune
Effect: Choose one of the Tails listed below. At 3rd level, you gain the ability to cast a single spell determined by that tail. At 5th level, you gain a second spell also determined by that tail. Finally, at 9th level, you gain a third and final spell determined by that tail. Spells cast through this feat are cast at their minimum caster level and use Charisma as their spellcasting ability score. Spells cast through this feat can be used once, and then you must complete a long rest before you can cast them again.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time you select it, you must select a new Tail to gain.
Special: When you first select a Tail through this feat, you gain an additional tail. You gain a second tail when you gain a spell at 9th level due to this feat. Extra tails are visible in fox and hybrid form and may, at the DM’s discretion, grant you Advantage on Charisma checks against other yokai, who recognize their numbers as a sign of power.

Tail of Charm: Charm Person at 3rd level, Suggestion at 5th level, Hypnotic Pattern at 9th level.
Tail of Wrath: Bane at 3rd level, Blindness/Deafness at 5th level, Bestow Curse at 9th level.
Tail of Fire: Burning Hands at 3rd level, Aganazzar's Scorcher at 5th level, Fireball at 9th level.
Tail of Malice: Tasha’s Hideous Laughter at 3rd level, Crown of Madness at 5th level, Fear at 9th level.

Discord
2017-08-08, 04:27 PM
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1wQaM6Y

Charm Domain Cleric. The original iteration of the 17th level ability allowed you to ignore immunity to charm on creatures since there's like 77 of them in the monster manual that ignore charm abilities but people didn't like that, so there it is.

In addition here is a fey blooded Sorcerer I started and never finished as I was a little at loss what to do with the 14th and 17th level abilities.

Your innate magic comes from the power of the fey. Many with this power can trace their magic back to the magic of the feywild itself. Whatever the case, the magic of the fey permeates your being.

Revoke Memory: As an action when a creature you are interacting with is within 30ft of you, and can’t see you, you can force the creature to make a wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC. On a successful save, the creature’s memories of you remain intact but are a little hazy, and the creature is immune to this effect for the next 24 hours. Fey creatures automatically succeed on the saving throw, as do any creatures, like elves, that have the Fey Ancestry trait. A creature that fails the saving throw remembers nothing about you. Each time you or your allies do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat this saving throw ending the effect. Any spell that can end a curse can restore the creature’s lost memories. You can use this feature a number of times a day equal to your charisma modifier (minimum 1).

Mists of the Feywild: You can summon the elusive nature of the Feywild to slightly obscure your form and make it harder for your opponents to hit you. Up to your proficiency mod per a long rest, when you are the target of a melee or ranged attack, you can use your reaction to add your charisma modifier to your AC for 1 round, ending at the start of your next turn. You recover all uses of this ability on a long rest.

Blessings of the Fey: At 6th level, you can cast invisibility by spending 1 sorcery point, you can target one additional creature for each additional 1 sorcery point spent. In addition, you can use your action to touch a willing creature to give it advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks; you can touch a number of creatures up to your charisma modifier (minimum 1) to give this blessing to. This blessing lasts for 1 hour, or until you use this feature again.

DracoKnight
2017-08-08, 04:41 PM
It is a little too powerful. Dark One's Blessing grants slightly more THP (25 vs 15 at level 20) but with (comparatively) severe limits on how often it will proc. Fangs in the Night grants THP pretty much whenever you want it as long as you're in melee range, and damages the baddie to boot. Also, since it's an attack you can smack 'em twice and get THP once you hit 6th level. Either requiring a bonus action or a CON save would bring it closer in power. Also consider making it a special action as opposed to an attack. It's just too easy to use compared to it's most similar warlock ability.

Okay, I made it a bonus action to gain the Temp HP.

How often does the sunlight damage you?

At the moment, with the way it's written it could be interpreted as once or every 6 seconds...the latter was the intent. You want to be completely covered up when you go outside during the day.

This is clearly designed for a bladelock, which is fine. My preference for subclass design is to not limit other choices (if you took a Tome with this patron... well you'd never take a Tome with this patron, see what I mean?) but since Hexblade is a thing I can't complain.

It's funny that you say that. I definitely designed it to function well in melee (Vampires ARE the kind of baddie to get in your face), which indeed lends itself well to Pact of the Blade. However, the player currently helping me playtest it picked Pact of the Tome, with shillelagh and booming blade. When he has a spell slot to spare he's used vampiric touch to devastating effect.

None of the abilities call out a melee weapon attack, just a melee attack, so they work with melee attack spells too.

The Cats
2017-08-08, 05:15 PM
"No one would ever pick pact of the tome with this!"

>Be the only player to ever play using this patron
>Picks pact of the tome

I'll just be over here sitting on this cactus.

DracoKnight
2017-08-08, 05:21 PM
"No one would ever pick pact of the tome with this!"

>Be the only player to ever play using this patron
>Picks pact of the tome

I'll just be over here sitting on this cactus.

I recommended to them to avoid PotTome, because like you said, I thought it wouldn't be very good for the Patron, but Booming Blade makes sure that monsters don't move away, so he can keep getting that THP, or they take extra damage.

Beechgnome
2017-08-08, 07:35 PM
I recommended to them to avoid PotTome, because like you said, I thought it wouldn't be very good for the Patron, but Booming Blade makes sure that monsters don't move away, so he can keep getting that THP, or they take extra damage.

Vampire Lord is awesome. It's more the flavor of what I wanted Undying/Raven Queen to be. That last invocation should be level 12 not 11 though.

DracoKnight
2017-08-08, 07:39 PM
Vampire Lord is awesome. It's more the favor of what I wanted Undying/Raven Queen to be. That last invocation should be level 12 not 11 though.

I'm pleased to hear that you like it! :smallbiggrin:

Hmmmm...you're probably right.

Requiemforlust
2017-08-09, 03:26 AM
It's more the flavor of what I wanted Undying/Raven Queen to be.

Both of those patrons are prime examples of wasted potential.

Beechgnome
2017-08-09, 01:18 PM
Anyone have thoughts on how to make my Path of Silent Fury better?

I like it in terms of flavor and fighting style concept (a Barbarian who focuses on grappling, or, when too far, hit and run skirmishing) but I feel like the 3rd- and 14th-level abilities may be missing something. Playtesting is obviously one solution, but if anyone has any ideas based on instincts and experience I'd like to hear them.

sightlessrealit
2017-08-09, 05:52 PM
Death Saving Throws

Being attacked while Unconscious

If you are successfully attacked while your character is Unconscious you only gain one Fail. Unless the attacker rolled a Natural 20, than you gain two Fails.

The first Three Success's or a Nat 20

For the first time during each encounter, if you manage to get 3 Success's on your Death saves you wake up on 1 HP. If you get a Natural 20 for a Death Save you wake up & roll a hit die = to your Primary Class(the class you took at first level) + your Con modifier and gain Hit points equal to the result.

Death by Death Save

Each time you completely succeed on a Death Save & brought back up, should you become unconscious again it'll take 1 less Fail in order to die. This resets after a long rest. Note: Being stabilized or healed will not count towards this. Getting a Natural 1 counts as two fails.

DracoKnight
2017-08-09, 07:42 PM
Anyone have thoughts on how to make my Path of Silent Fury better?

I like it in terms of flavor and fighting style concept (a Barbarian who focuses on grappling, or, when too far, hit and run skirmishing) but I feel like the 3rd- and 14th-level abilities may be missing something. Playtesting is obviously one solution, but if anyone has any ideas based on instincts and experience I'd like to hear them.

Okay, so I agree, I think 14th level needs some help, but on the other hand, I think 3rd is too strong at the moment. I'd maybe drop the Thunder Resistance or Tremorsense Invisibility from 3rd and fold them into 6th.

As for 14th, I think you should have the ability to turn the aura off and on again. As a bonus action, I think. And then it should be a 15-foot aura, not 5-foot.

Those are just my gut reactions to it :smallsmile:

Kuulvheysoon
2017-08-09, 08:53 PM
Been borrowing some of the Internet's work, been 'brewing some, and I've come up with these;

Races of Eberron

Changelings
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1

Age. Like humans, changelings reach adulthood in their late teens and live less than a century.

Alignment. Changelings of all alignments exist, but most gravitate toward the neutral alignment. They focus on their own concerns without any meaningful regard for laws or morals. Many have their own code of honor but are also fiercely independent. Some refuse to engage in assassination, while others embrace that path as the most perfect form of the changeling art of deception.

Size. Changelings are able to fluidly shift between forms, although they are limited to assuming Medium shapes. Your natural size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Shapechanger. You can use an action to polymorph into a Medium humanoid you have seen, or back into your true form. Your statistics, other than your size, are the same in each form. Any equipment you are wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. You revert to your true form if you die. Any creature that attempts to see through your ruse may make a Wisdom (Insight) check opposed by your Charisma (Deception) check.

Natural Linguist. Learning a new language takes half the amount of downtime that it normally takes.

Born Deceiver. You are proficient in the Deception skill.

Slippery Mind. You have advantage on saving throws to resist being charmed.

Languages. You can speak, read and write Common and three other languages of your choice. ASI +3: 12 points
Speed 30ft: 0 points
Natural Linguist: 1 point (minor ribbon ability, half of 200 is still 100)
Skill Proficiency (Deception): 2 points
Slippery Mind: 2 points (advantage on situational save)
Languages: (Common + 3 languages): 1 point
Shapechange: 6 points (Now, here's the hard one to value. I gave it 6 points, the equivalent of 30ft flight, because it can get you that, but there's also the disguising utility. So it should probably be rated at closer to an 8, maybe?)

Total Score - 24 points. Comparison is Half-Elf at 29 (as the other major Charisma based social race.

Daelkyr Half-blood
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Charisma score increases by 1.

Age. A daelkyr half-blood typically reaches maturity at the age of 18 and can live well into their second century of life

Alignment. Half-bloods are far more often evil than good, but nothing predetermines the alignment of a daelkyr half-blood - only the manner in which you they are raised.

Size. Without their symbionts, daelkyr half-bloods are indistingushable from humans. Your size is Medium.

Darkvision. Thanks to your aberrant blood, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of grey.

Unbalanced Mind. Your thoughts are alien and difficult to understand, making you hard to influence. You have advantage on saving throws to resist becoming charmed or having your thoughts read, and you also have resistance to psychic damage.

Personal Symbiont. You begin play with one personal symbiont, chosen from the list at the end of this entry. If your personal symbiont is lost, you can grow a replacement from your own flesh over a period of 1d4 days, after which time the original decays into a puddle of muck. You are proficient with any attacks granted by your symbiont, and each entry specifies the ability score used for attacks and damage. Any attacks gained by a symbiont are only applicable when it is attached. Attaching or removing a symbiont is an action.

Symbiont Dependancy. Your facility with symbiont usage comes at a price. Without daily contact with at least one symbiont, you are weakened. If you have no contact with a symbiont for 24 hours, you suffer one level of exhaustion. While separated from a symbiont, you cannot reduce your exhaustion level when you finish a long rest. In addition, you for each day you remain separated from a symbiont, you suffer one additional level of exhaustion.

Languages. You can speak, read and write Common and one other language of your choice.

You begin play with one symbiont from the following list:

Breed Leech. (Not going to lie, not sure what to toss here. Maybe bonus hit points equal to your hit die? Bonus hit die recovery?)

Crawling Gauntlet. This chitinous gauntlet covers up to your forearm. As an action, you may make a claw attack against a target within 5 feet. You use your Strength for the attack, and if you hit you deal 1d6 + Strength modifier slashing damage.[/I]

Spellwurm.[/I] This thin, purple, snake-like symbiont attaches at the base of your spine, resembling a short tail. You know the *prestidigitation* cantrip.

Stormstalk. This symbiont looks like a small beholder eyestalk. It attaches at the base of your neck, and generates pulses of electricity. You know the *shocking grasp* cantrip, and use Constitution for the attack.

Tentacle Whip. This symbiont resembles a long strand of muscle that ends in a stinger, and attaches on your forearm. You know the *thorn whip* cantrip, and use Constitution for the attack.

Throwing Scarab. This symbiont looks like a beautiful piece of jewelry which attaches itself to the outside of your hand. It can generate a crystalline carapace that you can detach and then thrust at your enemies. Treat this as a neverending supply of darts which dissolve after one round.

Tongueworm. This symbiont appears to be a small flesh-colored cobra which attaches itself to the inside of your mouth. As an action, you may make a bite attack against a target within 5 feet. You use your Dexterity for the attack, and if you hit you deal 1d6 + Dexterity modifier piercing damage.

Winter Cyst. This slug-like, slimy polyp burrows into your head. You can use its one baleful eye to project a blast of freezing cold. You know the *ray of frost* cantrip, and use Constitution for the attack.
ASI +3: 12 points
Darkvision 60ft: 3 points
Advantage vs. charm: 2 points (situational roll)
Resistance to psychic damage: 2 points (rare damage type)
Advantage vs. mind reading: 1 point (rare roll)
Symbiont: 4 points (choice of cantrip is worth 3 points, I tossed an extra point on there for the fact that not all of the grant cantrips, and the ability to change their choice)
Symbiont Dependency: -1 points (anything that can seriously hamper your character should probably be worth negative points)

Total score - 23 points. Compare to High Elf (the cantrip race) at 27.

Kalashtar
Still trying to figure this one out, sorry. Likely going to wait until we get some decent psionic rules.

More than willing to take suggestions, though.

Shifters
Ability Score Adjustment. Your Dexterity score increases by 1, and one other score of your choice increases by 1.
Age. Shifters mature a little more slowly than humans, generally reaching adulthood at 20 years of age and living to an average age of 80.
Alignment. Shifters are usually neutral, viewing the struggle to survive as more important than moral or ethical concerns about how survival is maintained.
Size. Shifters have similar heights and builds to elves. Your size is Medium.
Darkvision. Animalistic and adapted to outdoor life, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Natural Athlete. You have training in the Athletics skill.
Shifter Legacy. Choose a shifter legacy from the list given below. This legacy increases one of your ability scores, and gives you a benefit while shifting.
Shifting. You can tap into your lycanthropic heritage to gain short bursts of physical power. On your turn, you can shift as a bonus action. While shifting, you gain an ongoing benefit based on your shifter legacy. Your shift lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious. You can also end your shift on your turn as a bonus action. Once you have shifted the number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, you must finish a long rest before you can shift again.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and one extra language of your choice. Shifters speak Common with a rural dialect wildly different from that spoken by urban folk. Many shifters learn the languages of those they encounter in the wild: Sylvan, Orc, Elvish, and the like.

Each shifter has one of the following special legacies, which is selected when a character is created and cannot be changed thereafter.

Beasthide. Your Constitution score increases by 1. While shifting and not wearing heavy armor, you gain a +1 bonus to Armor Class.

Cliffwalk. Your Dexterity score increases by 1. While shifting, you have a climb speed of 30 feet, and you have advantage on Strength checks and saving throws.

Dreamsight. Your Charisma score increases by 2, and you have training in the Animal Handling skill. While shifting, you can communicate with beasts through sounds and gestures.

Gorebrute. Your Strength score increases by 1. While shifting, you manifest horns that allow you to roll a d6 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike. If you move at least 20 feet straight toward a creature right before hitting it with your horns, the target takes an extra 1d6 bludgeoning damage and must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength bonus) or be pushed back up to 10 feet.

Longstride. Your Dexterity score increases by 1. While shifting, your base walking speed increases to 35 feet and you have advantage on Dexterity saving throws.

Longtooth. Your Strength score increases by 1. While shifting, you grow fangs that allow you to roll a d6 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike and the damage becomes piercing. In addition, if the unarmed attack hits, the target must make a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength bonus) or be knocked prone.

Razorclaw. Your Strength score increases by 1. While shifting, you grow claws that allow you to roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike and the damage becomes slashing.

Swiftwing. Your Dexterity score increases by 1. While shifting, your arms grow leathery flaps of skin (similar to a bat’s wings) which grant you a fly speed of 30 feet. While airborne, you can’t use your hands for anything other than flying. You can’t fly while encumbered (PHB page 178) or while wearing medium or heavy armor.

Truedive. Your Constitution score increases by 1 and you can hold your breath for 15 minutes before you risk drowning. While shifting, you have a swim speed of 30 feet and resistance to cold damage.

Wildhunt. Your Constitution score increases by 1, and you have training in the Perception skill. While shifting, you have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell, and you have advantage on Constitution saving throws.ASI +2: 8 points (one ASI from subrace)
ASI +1 (choice): 5 points
Darkvision 60ft: 3 points
Skill proficiency (Athletics): 2 points
Shifter Legacy: varies
Limited use of shifting: -3 points

Total score of "base" shifter - 15 points, but only because the "subraces" are so potent.

Subraces: vary from low (Swiftwing, +6 points from flight alone), to high (Wildhunt, +10 for skill proficiency, advantage on Constitution saves and advantage on perception (smell) checks)

Warforged
Not going to lie, this is basically lifted wholesale from Keith Baker.

Ability Score Adjustment. Your Constitution score increases by 2.
Age. Warforged do not age, and do not reproduce. The oldest among them date back to the original production run thirty-three years ago; the newest emerg*ed from the creation forges just over two years ago in the last days of the war.
Alignment. Warforged are generally neutral. They were built to fight, not to wonder whether fighting is right. Though they are perfectly capable of independent thought and moral speculation, most choose not to wrestle with ethical ideals.
Living Construct. Even though you were constructed, you are a humanoid. You are immune to disease. You do not need to breathe, eat or drink, but you can ingest food or drink if you wish.
Unsleeping Sentinel. Warforged don’t need to sleep. Instead, they settle into a resting state, remaining semiconscious for 4 hours each day. While in this rest state, you are fully aware of your surroundings. After resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.
Warforged Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.
Integrated Armor. When you are not wearing armor, your AC is 12 + your Dexterity modifier.
During a short rest, you can bond a suit of armor you are wearing to your body. When you finish that short rest, the armor you are wearing is bonded to you, and it cannot subsequently be removed from your body until you finish another short rest during which time you remove the bonded armor.
Self-Stabilizing. You have advantage on death saving throws.
Languages. Warforged speak, read, and write Common, since they were designed to communicate with their (mostly human) creators and owners.

Subraces
Multiple types of warforged were constructed in Khorvaire during the Last War, including warforged scouts and warforged soldiers. Choose one of the following types.

Warforged Scout
The smallest of the warforged, the halfling-sized scouts were built to serve as spies, light infantry, and reconnaissance troops. They are far less common than the larger varieties, since they offer little advantage over humanoid scouts in warfare.
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Size. Halfling-sized and basically halfling-shaped, warforged scouts stand about 3 feet tall and weigh 60 pounds. You are Small size.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 35 feet.

Warforged Soldier
Standard warforged were constructed to fulfill all military functions as consummate soldiers. This is the most common type of warforged encountered.
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
Size. Massive humanoids constructed to a template, warforged soldiers range in height from 6 to 7 feet. You are Medium size.

ASI +2: 8 points
Immunity to disease: 3 points
Doesn't breathe: 4 points
Resistance to poison: 4 points
Advantage to saves vs. poison: 3 points
Advantage on death saves: 1 point
Integrated armor: 2 points (set AC to 12 + Dexterity modifier, ignore if wearing armor)
Unsleeping Sentinel: 3 points (Elven trance is worth 2 points, figured a small bump was necessary)
Subraces: Scout adds +6, Soldier adds +4

Total score - 34 for scout, 32 for soldier. Compare with Lizardfolk at 29 and Mountain Dwarf at 30.
Some scaling down may be necessary.

Note - In the build notes, I'll make reference to numeric values for traits and such - I'll be using the Detect Balance (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?501272-Detect-Balance-an-Improved-Scale-for-Measuring-5e-Races) scale.

The Cats
2017-08-09, 09:30 PM
Okay, so I agree, I think 14th level needs some help, but on the other hand, I think 3rd is too strong at the moment. I'd maybe drop the Thunder Resistance or Tremorsense Invisibility from 3rd and fold them into 6th.

Strongly disagree. Other barbarian path 3rd level abilities grant resistance to damn near everything or advantage on all attacks when an ally is nearby or a bonus action attack with any kind of weapon, etc. You're suggesting this 3rd level ability should be advantage vs. people hearing you and the ability to silence with a grapple. The first is flavour, the second is useful on a small subset of opponents. You're confusing number of abilities with power of abilities.

Keep the resistance and tremorsense invisibility. Still not on par with the better paths when it comes to general usefulness but can't think of anything to add. Might want to scrap it and build something more streamlined. 4 abilities for a 3rd level power is a lot. Go big with one instead.

DracoKnight
2017-08-09, 10:54 PM
Strongly disagree. Other barbarian path 3rd level abilities grant resistance to damn near everything or advantage on all attacks when an ally is nearby or a bonus action attack with any kind of weapon, etc. You're suggesting this 3rd level ability should be advantage vs. people hearing you and the ability to silence with a grapple. The first is flavour, the second is useful on a small subset of opponents. You're confusing number of abilities with power of abilities.

Keep the resistance and tremorsense invisibility. Still not on par with the better paths when it comes to general usefulness but can't think of anything to add. Might want to scrap it and build something more streamlined. 4 abilities for a 3rd level power is a lot. Go big with one instead.

I wasn't confusing number of abilities with power. I hadn't looked at my damage resistances chart in a while, so I was overvaluing Thunder resistance. Also overestimating the number of monsters with tremorsense.

I'm very much of the mindset that lots of smaller abilities in a feature are just as powerful as one big one.

Susano-wo
2017-08-09, 11:27 PM
Damn, that Vampire Lord Patron is cool. super flavorful!

The Cats
2017-08-09, 11:36 PM
I wasn't confusing number of abilities with power. I hadn't looked at my damage resistances chart in a while, so I was overvaluing Thunder resistance. Also overestimating the number of monsters with tremorsense.

I'm very much of the mindset that lots of smaller abilities in a feature are just as powerful as one big one.

Yeah that's fair. One big thing as opposed to many small for low level abilities is probably just my preference. I spend a lot of my time introducing the game to new players; Fewer abilities at low levels makes that much easier. Subconscious bias.

DracoKnight
2017-08-10, 03:05 AM
Damn, that Vampire Lord Patron is cool. super flavorful!

Why thank you! I had lots of fun writing it :smallbiggrin:

Yeah that's fair. One big thing as opposed to many small for low level abilities is probably just my preference. I spend a lot of my time introducing the game to new players; Fewer abilities at low levels makes that much easier. Subconscious bias.

And I totally agree with that too. For new players I don't ever recommend subclasses with lots of abilities at third level (like say...the Battemaster), or that have super complex abilities that require system mastery (like the Assassin).

Now, I won't stop them from playing those things, but I tend to be happier when they pick something that's simple or that has one big benefit. Like you said: easier to learn.

Chunkosaurus
2017-08-10, 07:23 AM
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1wQaM6Y

Charm Domain Cleric. The original iteration of the 17th level ability allowed you to ignore immunity to charm on creatures since there's like 77 of them in the monster manual that ignore charm abilities but people didn't like that, so there it is.

In addition here is a fey blooded Sorcerer I started and never finished as I was a little at loss what to do with the 14th and 17th level abilities.

Your innate magic comes from the power of the fey. Many with this power can trace their magic back to the magic of the feywild itself. Whatever the case, the magic of the fey permeates your being.

Revoke Memory: As an action when a creature you are interacting with is within 30ft of you, and can’t see you, you can force the creature to make a wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC. On a successful save, the creature’s memories of you remain intact but are a little hazy, and the creature is immune to this effect for the next 24 hours. Fey creatures automatically succeed on the saving throw, as do any creatures, like elves, that have the Fey Ancestry trait. A creature that fails the saving throw remembers nothing about you. Each time you or your allies do anything harmful to the target, it can repeat this saving throw ending the effect. Any spell that can end a curse can restore the creature’s lost memories. You can use this feature a number of times a day equal to your charisma modifier (minimum 1).

Mists of the Feywild: You can summon the elusive nature of the Feywild to slightly obscure your form and make it harder for your opponents to hit you. Up to your proficiency mod per a long rest, when you are the target of a melee or ranged attack, you can use your reaction to add your charisma modifier to your AC for 1 round, ending at the start of your next turn. You recover all uses of this ability on a long rest.

Blessings of the Fey: At 6th level, you can cast invisibility by spending 1 sorcery point, you can target one additional creature for each additional 1 sorcery point spent. In addition, you can use your action to touch a willing creature to give it advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks; you can touch a number of creatures up to your charisma modifier (minimum 1) to give this blessing to. This blessing lasts for 1 hour, or until you use this feature again.

For the charm cleric why not make enemies that are immune no longer be immune, but have advantage and those that have advantage roll normally. Also make the Divine Grace ability read base AC rather than AC.

Beechgnome
2017-08-10, 07:29 AM
Why thank you! I had lots of fun writing it :smallbiggrin:

And I totally agree with that too. For new players I don't ever recommend subclasses with lots of abilities at third level (like say...the Battemaster), or that have super complex abilities that require system mastery (like the Assassin).

Now, I won't stop them from playing those things, but I tend to be happier when they pick something that's simple or that has one big benefit. Like you said: easier to learn.

Cats, Draco, this is a useful discussion, by the way. Thanks.

Oramac
2017-08-10, 08:53 AM
My homebrew is in my sig. Please feel free to check it out and comment. :)

And if you're super excited about any of it, feel free to swing by my DM's Guild page (http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?author=Neil%20Evans) too.

nickl_2000
2017-08-10, 09:14 AM

And if you're super excited about any of it, feel free to swing by my DM's Guild page (http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?author=Neil%20Evans) too.

A few clarifications/questions on the Druid Circle

1) Does the Hybrid Transformations replace the Wild Shape feature? Can you do two wild shapes and two hybrid transformations? I know you said it supercedes the rules of Wild Shape, but I still think it need more clarifications
2) How long does the Hybrid Transformation last? Same as Wild Shape?
3) I'm not sure why, but I feel like the lycan form should have a movement speed of 40ft.
4) Wraith of the moon, why radiant damage? Is this because Moonbeam does Radiant damage, because I feel that spell is more anti-lycanthropes. I feel like Necrotic would be more flavorful, but that is just me.

Oramac
2017-08-10, 09:57 AM
A few clarifications/questions on the Druid Circle

1) Does the Hybrid Transformations replace the Wild Shape feature? Can you do two wild shapes and two hybrid transformations? I know you said it supercedes the rules of Wild Shape, but I still think it need more clarifications
2) How long does the Hybrid Transformation last? Same as Wild Shape?
3) I'm not sure why, but I feel like the lycan form should have a movement speed of 40ft.
4) Wraith of the moon, why radiant damage? Is this because Moonbeam does Radiant damage, because I feel that spell is more anti-lycanthropes. I feel like Necrotic would be more flavorful, but that is just me.

Thanks!! The Circle of the Lycan is one that's still very much a work in progress. Thank you for pointing all that out. I'll definitely clarify everything, and you're right that Necrotic makes more sense for wrath of the moon.

DracoKnight
2017-08-11, 02:46 AM
Thanks!! The Circle of the Lycan is one that's still very much a work in progress. Thank you for pointing all that out. I'll definitely clarify everything, and you're right that Necrotic makes more sense for wrath of the moon.

I remember reading it a while ago and going: "Damn...this and a Druid that could turn into dragons are the only two druids I would ever play."

Mjolnirbear
2017-08-11, 05:30 AM
Oramac, the witch link in your signature isn't working

Requiemforlust
2017-08-11, 05:50 AM

Damn...I think your Death Knight just became my favorite Anti-Paladin.

Anonymouswizard
2017-08-11, 06:12 AM
I'll join in the discussion in a bit, just wondering if anyone has any feedback on Three Pillars Initiative before I start working on v2.

Beechgnome
2017-08-11, 07:41 AM
I'll join in the discussion in a bit, just wondering if anyone has any feedback on Three Pillars Initiative before I start working on v2.

I understand the desire: have combat be more unpredictable and set structure and slightly different rules for exploration and social encounters so it's not just one guy talking or making all the decisions.

But I can't really figure out how a Crisis is any different from a trap that acts at its own initiative count. Just make the crisis 'go' on initiative count 20 or whatever and start the clock ticking. The last UA on traps was full of great examples.

Combat has the dice every round issue: personally I find at high levels combat is already a slog without more rolls. Why not just have everyone roll once as normal and then let them adjust round to round if they only want to talk or move? Maybe that's too meta-gamey.

Exploration is a start...But I think in general the modifier should suit the activity. Intelligence searching a room for valuables, but maybe Strength or Con while climbing a cliff face.

For social, I created my own encounter rules for a dinner party that used Charisma as the sole initiative modifier and let players with higher Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma use checks in those skills as bonus reactions as the conversation flowed, but I can see adding a straight bonus, though I wonder if it'll overstack things in favor of your faces. Your dim fighter will be by the ordeuvre tray while the action is happening.

I guess I think it needs some work. But that's just one opinion. I am hardly in a position to say anyone's work is 'too complicated.'

The Cats
2017-08-11, 08:26 AM
I remember reading it a while ago and going: "Damn...this and a Druid that could turn into dragons are the only two druids I would ever play."

N... not even the Circle of the Swarm? D':

Oramac
2017-08-11, 08:34 AM

Thanks! I've been working on it a bit more in the last few days too. Clarified the language and changed a few things around. But it's still the same basic chassis.

Oramac, the witch link in your signature isn't working

Yea, I can't figure out why. The link is the proper 'share' link from homebrewery.

Damn...I think your Death Knight just became my favorite Anti-Paladin.

Awesome!! Thank you. Feel free to grab it and play. It's one of my favorites too.

Anonymouswizard
2017-08-11, 10:06 AM
But I can't really figure out how a Crisis is any different from a trap that acts at its own initiative count. Just make the crisis 'go' on initiative count 20 or whatever and start the clock ticking. The last UA on traps was full of great examples.

That's intentional, such a trap would a crisis. A crisis is 'something passive that "acts" every round'. It's not intended to be specific or different, it's meant to be very generic and flexible, but potentially with a way for players to see how far they are from doom (I tend to play with open rolls and relatively open NPC stats).

Combat has the dice every round issue: personally I find at high levels combat is already a slog without more rolls. Why not just have everyone roll once as normal and then let them adjust round to round if they only want to talk or move? Maybe that's too meta-gamey.

Sorry, that's personal preference showing through, I don't like the post-10 levels very much and so wasn't considering them. Roll once and adjust each round would work fine, although it would make it more predictable.

It's also not intended for a game where you'd regularly fight larger combats with lots of similar opponents, opponent groups are expected to be equal to or less than the PCs and with each member easily differentiated. I should really add in a bunch of variant rules (what it looks like v2 will be).

Exploration is a start...But I think in general the modifier should suit the activity. Intelligence searching a room for valuables, but maybe Strength or Con while climbing a cliff face.

Yeah, exploration at the moment is a massive case of 'needs more work'. A flexible modifier should be good, and maybe the possibility for people outside the 'scene' to act (while you're searching the room the goblins are preparing defences, and similar things).

For social, I created my own encounter rules for a dinner party that used Charisma as the sole initiative modifier and let players with higher Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma use checks in those skills as bonus reactions as the conversation flowed, but I can see adding a straight bonus, though I wonder if it'll overstack things in favor of your faces. Your dim fighter will be by the ordeuvre tray while the action is happening.

Honestly, I see all the mental ability scores being used in long term social encounters, and so went with Wisdom for the entire 'perception' element. I don't like using Charisma as the initiative modifier here because it's already going to be dominant, while Intelligence has several skills that could very easily be active.

This is also based on the idea that most players don't pick a high-op character. It does become a problem at high levels, where the Expertise Bard wins social encounters, and I'm going to look into that when I write up social conditions (where minor ones can be picked up with relatively easy nonscaling checks, but major ones require going against an opponent). I should probably add in a bit of that here.

I guess I think it needs some work. But that's just one opinion. I am hardly in a position to say anyone's work is 'too complicated.'

It's fine, one of the pieces of homebrew I plan to put here one month is a '5e BECM' thing I'm working on which combines races and classes into 'archetypes'. Not because it's going to be popular, but I think that it could be a better framework and I think 5e could be great with less class abilities. I'm going to start with the 'basic set' of all 7 classes up to level 3/5, and then expand it from there. Yes, Elf is a class, and yes all elves get magic.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-08-11, 11:06 AM
So, does nobody have any opinions on the 5e Kitsune race I posted? Should I post a different race instead?

Oramac
2017-08-11, 11:37 AM
Kitsune
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Intelligence
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Foxfire: You know the Produce Flame and Dancing Light cantrips, which you can cast with Charisma. At 3rd level, you can cast Faerie Fire with this trait as a 1st level spell once per long rest, again using Charisma as your casting ability score.
Trickster’s Guile: You have Proficiency in Charisma (Deception).
Hengeyokai: Fox

Hengeyokai: You belong to a race of magical beasts that can assume partially or wholly humanoid form, as well as revert to your true bestial shape when it suits you. As an action, you can shift into any one of your three forms.

In your Human Form, you gain Advantage on all Charisma (Deception) checks made to pass yourself off as human. It otherwise functions as Hybrid Form.
In your Beast Form, which is determined by your race, your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but retaining your alignment, personality, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the beast; if you and the beast have the same proficiency and the beast’s bonus is higher than yours, you use the beast’s bonus.
Changing shapes does not alter your current hit points, maximum hit points, or hit dice.
You can remain in any of these three forms as long as you wish, but must consciously choose to change shapes.
You can change shapes once at 1st level, twice at 5th level, and thrice at 11th level. You regain all expended uses of this trait when you complete a long rest.
If you have exhausted your uses of shapeshifting, you can revert back to hybrid form, but you cannot then change again into beast or human form.

Racial Feat: Fox Magic
Some kitsune are more magical than others. Through deliberate meditation or just the whims of fate, you are amongst those kitsune whose magical potency is naturally greater.
Prerequisite: Race - Kitsune
Effect: Choose one of the Tails listed below. At 3rd level, you gain the ability to cast a single spell determined by that tail. At 5th level, you gain a second spell also determined by that tail. Finally, at 9th level, you gain a third and final spell determined by that tail. Spells cast through this feat are cast at their minimum caster level and use Charisma as their spellcasting ability score. Spells cast through this feat can be used once, and then you must complete a long rest before you can cast them again.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time you select it, you must select a new Tail to gain.
Special: When you first select a Tail through this feat, you gain an additional tail. You gain a second tail when you gain a spell at 9th level due to this feat. Extra tails are visible in fox and hybrid form and may, at the DM’s discretion, grant you Advantage on Charisma checks against other yokai, who recognize their numbers as a sign of power.

Tail of Charm: Charm Person at 3rd level, Suggestion at 5th level, Hypnotic Pattern at 9th level.
Tail of Wrath: Bane at 3rd level, Blindness/Deafness at 5th level, Bestow Curse at 9th level.
Tail of Fire: Burning Hands at 3rd level, Aganazzar's Scorcher at 5th level, Fireball at 9th level.
Tail of Malice: Tasha’s Hideous Laughter at 3rd level, Crown of Madness at 5th level, Fear at 9th level.

So, does nobody have any opinions on the 5e Kitsune race I posted? Should I post a different race instead?

It's not bad, but Hengeyokai is strictly better than a Druid's Wild Shape, and it's a racial feature. I'd nerf that pretty hard. Otherwise, it looks good.

Also, there's no list of what beast forms each race determines.

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-08-11, 12:27 PM
It's not bad, but Hengeyokai is strictly better than a Druid's Wild Shape, and it's a racial feature. I'd nerf that pretty hard. Otherwise, it looks good.

Also, there's no list of what beast forms each race determines.

Actually, Hengeyokai is supposed to be worse than Wild Shape - for starters, Hengeyokai share a single pool of hit points between their forms, whilst Druids treat the hit points of their beast forms as entirely seperate to their "core" hit points, allowing them to use different forms as buffers. Hence the common observation of the "onion druid" as a tanky PC choice.

So, what exactly makes Hengeyokai so much more powerful than wild shape?

As for the list of beast forms, I figured it was superfluous because I was only posting the one race and the Kitsune's profile states outright that its Hengeyokai animal is "Fox". Still, this is the missing bulletpoint from the GDoc:

Kitsune turn into foxes, tanuki turn into tanuki (use the stats for raccoons), mujinas turn into badgers, bakeneko turn into cats, itachi turn into weasels, kawauso turn into otters, jorogumo turn into spiders.

Oramac
2017-08-11, 01:01 PM
Actually, Hengeyokai is supposed to be worse than Wild Shape

snip

Yea, I was looking more at the 3 per short rest part. Wild Shape is only 2 per rest, so this seems a bit more powerful in that sense. The hit points part does help curb that though, so I suppose it evens out.

DracoKnight
2017-08-11, 01:57 PM

N... not even the Circle of the Swarm? D':

Mechanically I think that Circle of the Swarm is pretty darn solid - sorry, I didn't mean to slight your 'brew. Thematically though, the Druid overall doesn't appeal to me personally, and it would take being a lycanthrope or the ability to dragonshape to make me be able to stomach playing one.

The Cats
2017-08-11, 05:57 PM
Mechanically I think that Circle of the Swarm is pretty darn solid - sorry, I didn't mean to slight your 'brew. Thematically though, the Druid overall doesn't appeal to me personally, and it would take being a lycanthrope or the ability to dragonshape to make me be able to stomach playing one.

Refluff swarm of wasps to be a bunch of very tiny dragons!

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-08-11, 07:07 PM
Yea, I was looking more at the 3 per short rest part. Wild Shape is only 2 per rest, so this seems a bit more powerful in that sense. The hit points part does help curb that though, so I suppose it evens out.

Don't forget also that Hengeyokai only recharge on a long rest, whilst Wild Shape recharges on a short rest, and that extra TFs beyond the 1/day mark are level locked. Still... maybe it'd be helpful to put up a side-by-side comparison?

Wild Shape Class Feature:

Available at 2nd level
Can be used 2 times before being depleted - this number never changes
Recharges on a short rest
Can change you into any animal you desire so long as it fits the level-based CR restriction
When transformed, you gain the physical stats (Str/Dex/Con), AC, any new proficiencies, and the higher of shared proficiencies/bonuses of the chosen creature
When transformed, your current HP is replaced by the creature's maximum hit points; any damage done to these does not affect you unless it drops to 0 hit points
When transformed, you can't cast speak humanoid languages or cast spells, though you can sustain ongoing spells
When transformed, you retain all bonus features that it would sensibly retain, though senses are restricted to the beast form's innate ones
Your equipment either is worn, merges with you or is dropped when you transform, and may continue to provide normal benefits if it is capable of being worn in your current form

Hengeyokai Race Feature:

Available at 1st level
Can be used 1 time, which increases to 2 times at level 5 and 3 time at level 11
Recharges on a long rest
Can change you into a single animal based on your race
When transformed, you gain the physical stats (Str/Dex/Con), AC, any new proficiencies, and the higher of shared proficiencies/bonuses of the chosen creature
Your HP is not affected by shifting shapes; you can't "soak" damage by turning between forms
Your ability to talk or cast spells is not discussed
Neither is shapeshifting's effect on bonus features or equipment

Now, here's some things I've been considering:
Firstly, I don't know if I should or shouldn't make it that you can use Hengeyokai - Human Form to imitate a specific person. It's mostly meant to be just a flavor aspect of the shifting, so I figure specifying "you have a single human form, of the same gender as yourself" the way they do in Pathfinder makes sense.

Secondly, given the lore for Hengeyokai, does anyone agree it makes sense that hengeyokai in animal form can still talk humanoid languages?

Thirdly, I can kind of see the balance reason for no spellcasting whilst in Wild Shape, but maybe hengeyokai can still access their racial spell-like abilities in their animal form?

Finally, hengeyokai has the same rules on equipment and other racial features as Wild Shape, I'm just not sure how to properly refer to them.

The Cats
2017-08-11, 08:08 PM
1. Yes do that.

2. Yes I agree.

3. Yes do that.

Final. Copy-paste it from the wildshape ability.

Afrodactyl
2017-08-11, 08:43 PM
I'll be posting homebrew magic items. Would people be able to critique them?

I will continually edit this post as I come up with ideas as to not flood the thread.

Heavy armour (AC16, disadvantage on stealth checks)
Requires attunement and minimum strength of 13.

As a bonus action on your turn, you may activate the Armour of the Black Beetle. The Armour's AC becomes 20, and you become immobile. Whilst the armour is active, you cannot cast spells, and your weapon attacks are replaced with with a Claw attack (2d4 slashing damage, range five feet, one target), which uses your strength stat. You can revert the armour to its base form as a bonus action on your turn. The armour automatically reverts to it's base form if you are hit by a critical hit.

Requires attunement, is worn around the neck.

When you roll a '1' on an attack roll, saving throw, skill check or skill contest, you may instead treat it as if you rolled the required DC to pass, and cannot be affected by any means. If you do so, you gain one 'curse' token. Your DM may remove one curse token whenever you make an attack roll, saving throw, skill check or skill contest. Removing a token in this way will cause the roll to automatically fail, which cannot be affected by any means. The Hags Trinket has no effect on any roll that is deemed to be impossible by the DM.

Martial Weapon (sword), Finesse
1d8 slashing, 1d10 slashing if wielded in two hands.

You gain a +1 to all attack and damage rolls with this weapon. If you reduce a creature to 0 hit points, you may make another melee weapon attack with this weapon at a creature within five feet. Also, when you reduce a creature to 0 hit points, the sword screeches and wails and can be heard up to 300 feet away.

JBPuffin
2017-08-11, 09:26 PM
Don't forget also that Hengeyokai only recharge on a long rest, whilst Wild Shape recharges on a short rest, and that extra TFs beyond the 1/day mark are level locked. Still... maybe it'd be helpful to put up a side-by-side comparison?

SNIP

I would suggest, since the animal forms gain the proficiencies of the human form, to explicitly allow the animals to use human tools with the same proficiency as their normal forms. Their bodies can't wield their weapons or armor, but the image of a fox with a set of lockpicks in its teeth is just BA.

The Cats
2017-08-11, 09:46 PM
Black Beetle: How does it activate? Command word? There is no limit to how often you can use this ability and 20AC is hiiiiigh so I'm guessing this is legendary? Immobile is not a condition in 5E. "Your speed is reduced to 0" is the proper wording. You've got an unnecessary "whilst" in there too. Not wrong, just unnecessary. When explaining crunch one should strive to be as clear as possible, which includes using simple language. For the same reason, "deactivate" is a better choice than "revert to its base form."

Hag's Trinket: I like the flavour. I don't like the execution. It's the unlimited uses. Treat it like that one wild sorcerer power: One time use, recharges at dawn or when the DM curses your roll. The wording as a whole could use some major overhauling as well. It's not confusing, it's hard to read. (Not in a sardonic "This hurts my eyes" way. It's just genuinely difficult to read.)

Wailing Doom: What kind of sword is it (Relevant for proficiency)? Is the extra attack part of the same action? Part of the attack action? A bonus action? The first option allows this ability to be used with an AoO kill. The second does not.

JBPuffin
2017-08-11, 09:53 PM
Wailing Doom: What kind of sword is it (Relevant for proficiency)? Is the extra attack part of the same action? Part of the attack action? A bonus action? The first option allows this ability to be used with an AoO kill. The second does not.

Funnily enough, it technically has answered the relevant parts of this question in the text. "Martial weapon (sword)" tells you that you have to be proficient with martial melee weapons, but since it doesn't count as another weapon things like rogue and bard don't have automatic proficiency with it, and the combination of versatile (d8/d10) and finesse identify it as a sword outside the traditional options. As for the attack, it says "when you reduce the target to 0 HP," and by omitting the action, this makes it an always-on ability, much like a Ranger's Horde Breaker. So, in theory, there's no need to clarify anything...

It would help, but it's not strictly necessary.

The Cats
2017-08-11, 10:01 PM
Horde breaker specifies it only procs once, and only on your turn. Wailing Doom requires more clarification.

Afrodactyl
2017-08-11, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Just for reference, I have no idea about magic item rarities. The idea for the beetle armour was just to be an immovable object for tanking. I've added another downside.

Amended versions are below.

Heavy armour (AC16, disadvantage on stealth checks)
Requires attunement and minimum strength of 13.

As a bonus action on your turn, you may activate the Armour of the Black Beetle by pressing the beetle emblem on the chest piece, gaining the following effects;
The Armour's AC becomes 20.
Your speed is reduced to zero.
You cannot cast spells.
You automatically fail dexterity checks and saving throws.
Your weapon attacks are replaced with with a Claw attack (2d4 slashing damage, range five feet, one target, uses strength stat).

You can deactivate the armour as a bonus action on your turn. The armour deactivates if you are hit by a critical hit.

Requires attunement, is worn around the neck.

Once per day, when you roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check or saving throw, you may elect to automatically succeed instead. If you do so, your DM can elect that you automatically fail when making a different attack roll, ability check or saving throw on that same adventuring day. Uses of this item are restored after 24 hours have passed since the previous use.

Martial Weapon (sword), Finesse
1d8 slashing, 1d10 slashing if wielded in two hands.

You gain a +1 to all attack and damage rolls with this weapon. Once per round, if an attack with this weapon reduces a creature to 0 hit points on your turn, you may make another melee weapon attack with this weapon at a creature within five feet. Also, when you reduce a creature to 0 hit points, the sword screeches and wails and can be heard up to 300 feet away.

The Cats
2017-08-11, 11:28 PM
EDIT: I should clarify: "Long rest activity" is a system I use that lets my players do something with their tool proficiency during a long rest. Brewing simple potions, gathering herbs, etc.

Book of Dwarfish Forgerunes
This small, leatherbound booklet contains instructions for applying Dwarfish Forgerunes to a weapon.

Dwarfish Forgerunes can only be applied to non-magical, metal, melee weapons and only work if the weapon is wielded by a Dwarf. Only a trained, dwarfish blacksmith can apply a Forgerune.

You can apply a Forgerune as either permanent or temporary.

To apply a permanent Forgerune you need to spend seven days working eight hours a day using a full complement of smith’s tools, including a forge and anvil. At the end of the seven days, make a smith check. The power of the rune depends on the result of the roll. A roll of 15 or less results in a failure. Natural 20 effects can’t be applied as permanent Forgerunes. Use the DC20 effect instead. A weapon can only ever have one permanent Forgerune applied to it and requires attunement to use the Forgerune’s effects.

For a temporary Forgerune you only need to spend your long rest activity using something at least as hot as a campfire and something sharp to etch with. At the end of the hour, make a smith check. The power of the rune depends on the result of the roll. A roll of 11 or less results in a failure. Temporary Forgerunes last until the start of your next long rest.

You can attempt to apply a temporary Forgerune to a weapon that already has a permanent Forgerune on it. If you do, add 5 to all the numbers required for the smith check, and a roll of 16 or less results in failure.

Forgerunes
Leifsthaag (Elements)
Choose: Acid, Cold, Fire, or Lightning. Your weapon deals additional damage of the chosen type.
Smith Check: (DC12 +1d4) (DC16 +1d6) (DC20 +1d8) (Natural20 +1d12)

Harsk (Strength)
The weapon deals double damage to buildings and objects and +1d8 to constructs. If you beat a large or smaller creature’s armour class by a certain amount, they are shoved 5 feet away from you or knocked prone (your choice).
Smith Check: (DC12 beat by 8) (DC16 beat by 6) (DC20 beat by 4) (Natural20 beat by 2)

Thorg (Power)
When you make a critical hit with this weapon, the attack has extra effects if the target is large or smaller.
Smith Check: (DC12 Can’t take reactions until the start of your next turn) (DC16 Knocked Prone) (DC20 Stunned until the end of its next turn) (Natural20 Paralyzed until the end of its next turn)

Veirlat (Air)
The weapons gains a throwing range.
Smith Checks: (DC12 10/30 for a one-handed weapon, 5/15 for two-handed) (DC16 20/60 for a one-handed weapon, 10/30 for two-handed) (DC20 as DC16 and a one-handed weapon that misses boomerangs back into your hand) (Natural20 as DC16 and any weapon that misses boomerangs back into your hand)

Mjolnirbear
2017-08-12, 09:18 AM
So i fine standard +1 weapons boring. I tried to keep things interesting with these. Some are... Poorly executed (I'm looking at you, Copycat).

Since it's an Eberron campaign, I also ported some uniquely Eberron items. Those are not original in the least (actually I think one is but can't remember which lol) . If anyone wants to add any I'd be delighted.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rym9EMdlzZ

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-08-12, 11:08 PM
Alright, based on conversation earlier in this thread, here's a revised version of the Hengeyokai racial trait: how does it look?
Human Form allows you to assume a form that appears purely human; your Human Form is unique to you and this ability does not let you imitate the forms of others, in the manner of shapeshifters like werewolves. In your Human Form, you gain Advantage on all Charisma (Deception) checks made to pass yourself off as human. It otherwise functions as Hybrid Form.
Whilst in Beast Form, you can still speak any humanoid languages you know.
Whilst in Beast Form, you cannot cast spells, although you can both sustain concentration on spells and trigger hanging spell effects, as per Druid Wild Shape (PHB pg67).
However, if you have spell-like abilities granted by a racial trait, you can use those spell-like abilities whilst in Beast Form.
Assuming Beast Form affects your equipment in the same way as assuming Wild Shape (PHB pg 67).
Assuming Beast Form allows you to retain racial and class bonuses that would make logical sense for your body, but restricts your senses to those native to Beast Form, as per Wild Shape (PHB pg 67).

And, as a bonus... I've been trying to think of how to convert the "Half-X" templates to 5e, if at all possible, mostly because of this one specific Half-Fiend variant I saw in Pathfinder. This so far represents the pinnacle of what inspiration has given to me.

Feat Category: Racial Hybrid
Effect: When you choose a Racial Hybrid feat, you gain additional racial traits determined by that feat.
Special: When you gain an Ability Score Increase, if you have a Racial Hybrid feat, you can forsake the ability score increase and instead gain one new racial trait from that feat's Advanced Mutations list.
Special: The blood of the most potent races does not mix readily, if at all. If you have a Racial Hybrid feat, you cannot select another Racial Hybrid feat.

Racial Hybrid: Half-Dragon
Effect: You gain the Draconic Ancestry racial trait; choose one of the dragons listed on page 34 of the PHB and gain Damage Resistance to the damage type indicated.
Special: If you are a Dragonborn, you can either take Draconic Ancestry from a second species of dragon or receive an Advanced Mutation trait instead. If you are a Dragonborn with two Draconic Ancestries, you can choose which type of Breath Weapon you wish to use whenever you make a Breath Weapon attack.

Half-Dragon Advanced Mutations:

Breath of the Dragon: You gain the Breath Weapon associated with your chosen Draconic Ancestry.
Mighty Fundamentum: Requires either Breath of the Dragon Advanced Mutation, or Dragonborn race. You can use your Dragonbreath 1 + Constitution modifier times before you exhaust it. Once it is exhausted, you still need to complete a short rest or a long rest to regain all depleted uses.
Wings of the Dragon: You have a Fly speed of 30 feet. You cannot use your Fly speed if you are wearing medium armor or heavy armor, or if you are encumbered.
Wyrm's Arms: You have either claws, fangs or horns, which you can use as a natural weapon to make an unarmed strike. A hit with your natural weapon inflicts 1d6 + Str modifier damage of the appropriate type - Slashing for claws, Piercing for fangs or horns, or Bludgeoning for horns.
Dragon's Hide: Your unarmored AC is 13 + your Dexterity modifier, which replaces your AC if the armor you are wearing would leave you with a lower AC. You can still benefit from a shield whilst using your unarmed AC.

Racial Hybrid: Half-Succubus
Effect: You gain the Fiendish Glamour racial trait.

Fiendish Glamour: Your unearthly charms grant you Advantage on Persuasion checks.

Half-Succubus Advanced Mutations:

Visage of 1000 Lovers: You have Advantage on Deception checks made to disguise yourself as somebody else.
Kiss of Endless Desire: You can use a draining kiss as a natural weapon when making an unarmed strike. If this hits, you inflict 1d6 + Charisma modifier Necrotic damage on your target. Once you have used this draining kiss, you must complete a short rest or a long rest before you can use it again.
Hungry Heart: Requires Kiss of Endless Desire. You can now use your draining kiss 1 + Charisma modifier times per day before you exhaust its uses. You must still complete a short or long rest to regain all expended uses.

Racial Hybrid: Half-Marilith
Effect: You gain the Four Arms and Serpent Body racial traits.

Four Arms: You have two pairs of fully functioning arms. You can use your secondary arms in a logical fashion - for example, holding or activating an item whilst your primary arms are holding weaponry or a shield. You can wield weapons in your secondary arms, but these must have the Light weapon quality, unless you have the Dual Wielder feat. Wielding weapons in all of your arms does not grant you extra attacks. Likewise, fighting with three or four weapons follows the same rules as Two-Weapon Fighting (PHB pg 195); you don't gain more than one bonus action attack, you simply can choose which of your secondary weapons to attack with as that bonus action.

Serpent Body: Instead of legs, you possess an undulating tail, like the body of a giant snake. Its crushing coils are a natural weapon, which you can use to make constrict attacks as an unarmed strike. If you hit with your constrict attack, you deal bludgeoning damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength modifier, and the target is grappled (escape DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and you can’t constrict another target. The downside is that your unusual anatomy prevents you from using footwear-based magical items unless they have been specifically designed to fit your monopedal anatomy, or can magically reshape themselves to fit. Additionally, you must have armor custom-fitted; properly-fitted armor increases its cost by +50% (rounding up), whilst improperly fitted armor has its AC reduced by -2 points, minimum of AC 0, to represent the glaring vulnerable spots it presents. You cannot use magic armor unless it can be made to magically reshape itself for your anatomy.

Half-Marilith Advanced Mutations:

Fiendish Ambidexterity: If you are wielding at least two melee weapons, once per turn, you can use your Reaction to gain +5 AC against one melee attack that is successfully made against you. You must be capable of seeing your attack to make use of this racial trait. Unless you have the Dual Wielder feat, you must be using Light weapons to use this racial trait.
Toxic Ichors: You have Resistance to Poison damage and Advantage on saving throws against the Poisoned condition.
Dance of Blades: At the start of your turn, you can use a bonus action to grant yourself a +1 bonus either to your Armor Class or to your Attack rolls until the end of your turn. To use this racial trait, you must be wielding a one-handed melee weapon in each of your hands.
Speed Boost: By lowering your body to the ground and propelling yourself with your arms, you can move more quickly for a time. As a bonus action on your turn, if you have two hands free, you can increase your walking speed by 5 feet until the end of your turn. If you have all four hands free, you can choose to increase your walking speed by 10 feet until the end of your turn instead.

Discord
2017-08-13, 07:03 PM
For the charm cleric why not make enemies that are immune no longer be immune, but have advantage and those that have advantage roll normally. Also make the Divine Grace ability read base AC rather than AC.

In my first iterations of the class, no one liked the idea of immune creatures being able to be charmed even with advantage. They didn't like the idea of Liches, Golems, Angels, etc being charmed so I just made the 17th level ability the way it is now. Of course it hasn't gotten any play testing to see how strong it would be but originally it was. Immune creatures got advantage, creatures with advantage rolled normally, and creatures who rolled normally had disadvantage. I thought it was a decent 17th level ability considering what else can be done around those levels but people thought it was to strong.

Oramac
2017-08-14, 07:54 AM
So i fine standard +1 weapons boring. I tried to keep things interesting with these. Some are... Poorly executed (I'm looking at you, Copycat).

Since it's an Eberron campaign, I also ported some uniquely Eberron items. Those are not original in the least (actually I think one is but can't remember which lol) . If anyone wants to add any I'd be delighted.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rym9EMdlzZ

I like em! You've got some good ideas in there. I agree that +X items tend to be boring as well. I really like your Night Blade.

I forgot to put it in my last post, but I have a big list of my own homebrew magic items as well. I tried to put in PROC effects in addition to other fun ideas, like adding Madness effects.

My personal favorites are the Sword of Impending Doom and the Dark Edge of Insanity.

Magic Items (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkgjcJlAg)

PhoenixPhyre
2017-08-14, 06:43 PM
Since the fluff of 3.5's Magic of Incarnum works so well for my setting, I decided to create a class loosely inspired by that fluff. The mechanics are substantially different, but the basic idea of creating temporary items is the same. It doesn't have to be blue, though.

I posted the full breakdown in the Homebrew Forum, but here's a Homebrewery link if anyone's interested in PEACHing it. All the numbers are eyeballed approximations, especially the essence point costs. More atheric forms would be nice too =)

Link: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B12upq1_-

nickl_2000
2017-08-15, 07:25 AM
Since the fluff of 3.5's Magic of Incarnum works so well for my setting, I decided to create a class loosely inspired by that fluff. The mechanics are substantially different, but the basic idea of creating temporary items is the same. It doesn't have to be blue, though.

I posted the full breakdown in the Homebrew Forum, but here's a Homebrewery link if anyone's interested in PEACHing it. All the numbers are eyeballed approximations, especially the essence point costs. More atheric forms would be nice too =)

Your formatting is broken on the third page (as possible the first).

Oramac
2017-08-15, 07:50 AM

The formatting is wonky, but what I can see looks all right.

Aetheric Carapace is probably too powerful though. With basic half-plate and a 20 Int you're looking at a 28 AC with the invested essence. Or 31 AC if you find a set of +3 half-plate. That's really powerful.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-08-15, 09:04 AM
The formatting is wonky, but what I can see looks all right.

Aetheric Carapace is probably too powerful though. With basic half-plate and a 20 Int you're looking at a 28 AC with the invested essence. Or 31 AC if you find a set of +3 half-plate. That's really powerful.

Yeah, I think I'm going to, at minimum, reverse the basic and advanced effects, and then tone down the contribution of int to ac. Numbers are rough as of yet.

Thought I had fixed the formatting, but... Sigh.

Chunkosaurus
2017-08-15, 01:00 PM
In my first iterations of the class, no one liked the idea of immune creatures being able to be charmed even with advantage. They didn't like the idea of Liches, Golems, Angels, etc being charmed so I just made the 17th level ability the way it is now. Of course it hasn't gotten any play testing to see how strong it would be but originally it was. Immune creatures got advantage, creatures with advantage rolled normally, and creatures who rolled normally had disadvantage. I thought it was a decent 17th level ability considering what else can be done around those levels but people thought it was to strong.

Bah it's epic level play. While Druids are busy casting spells as earth elementals you can charm a little better aka the point of the whole class

Tzun
2017-08-21, 07:14 PM
Hey guys, new poster here. I thought I'd try my hand at a revised Sharpshooter subclass given the poorly received UA material that WOTC put out. Let me know what you think.

Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you can enter a Marksman Stance (no action required). For the next minute, you gain the following benefits:

1. After successfully hitting a target with a ranged weapon attack, the next ranged weapon attack and all subsequent ranged weapon attacks against that same target are made with advantage until you miss that target.
2. Starting at 7th level, if you have successfully hit a target with a ranged weapon attack and you already have advantage on your attack, the next ranged weapon attack and all subsequet ranged weapon attacks against that same target also takes an extra 1d6 damage until you miss that target.
3. Starting at 10th level, if you have successfully hit a target with a ranged weapon attack and you already have advantage on your attacks and the target has already taken the extra 1d6 damage, then the next ranged weapon attack and all subsequent attacks against that same target have an increased chance of a critical hit until you miss that target. If you hit the target with both rolls on the advantage roll, then you score a critical hit.

When you miss the target, your next ranged weapon attack against that same target is made normally without any of the above benefits. If that target is then hit again, the process described above starts over. You can end the Marksman Stance at any time (no action required). At 3rd level you have 1 use of Marksman Stance, at 7th level 2 uses, and at 10th level 3 uses. Your uses refresh after you finish a short or long rest.

Starting at 3rd level, you learn to trade accuracy for swift strikes. If you have advantage on a ranged weapon attack against a target on your turn, you can forgo that advantage to immediately make an additional ranged weapon attack against the same target as a bonus action.

Starting at 7th level, you excel at picking out hidden enemies and other threats. You can take the Search action as a bonus action. You also gain proficiency in the Perception, Investigation, or Survival skill (choose one).

At 10th level, your shooting and throwing has become so precise that you can even knock down other projectiles fired at you. When you are hit by a projectile or thrown weapon with a ranged weapon attack, you can use your reaction to potentially deflect the attack. Make a ranged weapon attack. If your attack roll is equal to or greater than the attack roll against you, then the attack is deflected and you take no damage. A critical hit against you cannot be deflected in this manner.

At 15th level, your reflexes and skills with ranged combat have improved to the point where you can reflexively protect your party members. When an ally that is within 30 ft of you is hit with a melee weapon attack by an enemy that is also within 30 ft of you, you can make 1 ranged weapon attack against that enemy as a reaction.

At 18th level, you have reached the pinnacle of marksmanship. You have learned to line up your targets and shoot multiple targets with just 1 shot. When a ranged weapon attack reduces an target to 0 hp, any excess damage from that attack might carry over to another target nearby. Trace a straight line from you and through the original target. Any other target's square behind the original target that touches that line could be hit with the original attack if the original attack roll would have hit the other target. If that target is also reduced to 0 hp, continue this process until there are no valid targets or the damage carried over fails to reduce target to 0 hp (this is basically an enhanced ranged version of cleave attack).

Oramac
2017-08-22, 10:31 AM
Hey guys, new poster here. I thought I'd try my hand at a revised Sharpshooter subclass given the poorly received UA material that WOTC put out. Let me know what you think.

Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you can enter a Marksman Stance (no action required). For the next minute, you gain the following benefits:

1. After successfully hitting a target with a ranged weapon attack, the next ranged weapon attack and all subsequent ranged weapon attacks against that same target are made with advantage until you miss that target.
2. Starting at 7th level, if you have successfully hit a target with a ranged weapon attack and you already have advantage on your attack, the next ranged weapon attack and all subsequet ranged weapon attacks against that same target also takes an extra 1d6 damage until you miss that target.
3. Starting at 10th level, if you have successfully hit a target with a ranged weapon attack and you already have advantage on your attacks and the target has already taken the extra 1d6 damage, then the next ranged weapon attack and all subsequent attacks against that same target have an increased chance of a critical hit until you miss that target. If you hit the target with both rolls on the advantage roll, then you score a critical hit.

When you miss the target, your next ranged weapon attack against that same target is made normally without any of the above benefits. If that target is then hit again, the process described above starts over. You can end the Marksman Stance at any time (no action required). At 3rd level you have 1 use of Marksman Stance, at 7th level 2 uses, and at 10th level 3 uses. Your uses refresh after you finish a short or long rest.

This looks ok, but it's really wordy. I'd recommend finding a way to condense it down a bit. Also, maybe make the 10th level part "you score a critical on a roll of 19-20". As is, you'll be rolling a lot of crits against mooks that you don't care about, and probably not many on the big bads you do care about.

Starting at 3rd level, you learn to trade accuracy for swift strikes. If you have advantage on a ranged weapon attack against a target on your turn, you can forgo that advantage to immediately make an additional ranged weapon attack against the same target as a bonus action.

Seems ok.

Starting at 7th level, you excel at picking out hidden enemies and other threats. You can take the Search action as a bonus action. You also gain proficiency in the Perception, Investigation, or Survival skill (choose one).

AFAIK, there is no Search action in 5e. Not really sure how to change this to fit your goal, TBH.

At 10th level, your shooting and throwing has become so precise that you can even knock down other projectiles fired at you. When you are hit by a projectile or thrown weapon with a ranged weapon attack, you can use your reaction to potentially deflect the attack. Make a ranged weapon attack. If your attack roll is equal to or greater than the attack roll against you, then the attack is deflected and you take no damage. A critical hit against you cannot be deflected in this manner.

This is a really cool idea! Makes me think of the movie Wanted.

At 15th level, your reflexes and skills with ranged combat have improved to the point where you can reflexively protect your party members. When an ally that is within 30 ft of you is hit with a melee weapon attack by an enemy that is also within 30 ft of you, you can make 1 ranged weapon attack against that enemy as a reaction.

Again, too wordy. Just say "when an enemy within 30 feet makes a melee attack...."

At 18th level, you have reached the pinnacle of marksmanship. You have learned to line up your targets and shoot multiple targets with just 1 shot. When a ranged weapon attack reduces an target to 0 hp, any excess damage from that attack might carry over to another target nearby. Trace a straight line from you and through the original target. Any other target's square behind the original target that touches that line could be hit with the original attack if the original attack roll would have hit the other target. If that target is also reduced to 0 hp, continue this process until there are no valid targets or the damage carried over fails to reduce target to 0 hp (this is basically an enhanced ranged version of cleave attack).

Cool idea, but rather lackluster for a capstone. It's just not going to happen very often, and takes quite a lot of prep to set up well.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-08-22, 11:08 AM
AFAIK, there is no Search action in 5e. Not really sure how to change this to fit your goal, TBH.

193, above Use an Object.

Oramac
2017-08-22, 11:31 AM
193, above Use an Object.

Huh. Would ya look at that. Learn something new every day. Good deal.

Tzun
2017-08-22, 06:43 PM
Yeah I guess the rules lawyer in me was showing up, trying to make the wording super specific, but as a consequence came out rather wordy. The general idea is that the more you hit a target the better you get at damaging it, first gaining advantage then increase damage then increase crit chance. I understand where you're coming from with the crit mechanic, but I wanted to stay away from stealing the Champions thunder on that one. I wanted to stay with the theme of gaining advantage being key to this ability. Notice that if you already have advantage from another source, you can reach the top tier of the ability quicker (you just need to hit the target once and then on the next hit since you already had advantage from another source you get to add the 1d6 damage).

As for the search mechanic, that was lifted directly from the Sharpshooter UA put out by WOTC so I would hope it's a thing ;)

D-naras
2017-08-24, 12:43 PM
So it irks me that sorcerers must be chaotic beings, draconic or stormy. Therefore I present the Arcane Origin!

At 1st level, instead of starting play knowing 2 spells from the sorcerer's list, you know only 1 spell from the sorcerer list. In exchange, you create a Boundless Reservoir of magic. Choose a single 1st level spell from each of the bard, cleric, druid, warlock and wizard spell lists. These spells become your Boundless Repertoir.

You can cast a single spell from your Boundless Repertoir as if it were a sorcerer spell. Once you do, you treat that spell as a known spell and you lose access to your Boundless Repertoir list until you complete a long rest.

Whenever you gain a level in sorcerer, you can replace any spell or spells in your boundless repertoir with another spell of the same class and level.

At sorcerer level 3, your reservoir expands to include spells of 2nd level from the other classes. Pick 1 spell from each class of 2nd level in addition to those gained before. The same happens at sorcerer level 5 for 3rd level spells, at sorcerer level 7 for 4th level spells and finally at level 9 for 5th level spells.

Starting at 6th level, whenever you cast a spell of level 1 or higher with a duration other than instant on yourself and it lasts for the maximum duration, you regain a spell slot equal to the level of the spell. You must have cast the spell using one of your own spell slots. If you used the extend metamagic on the spell, you gain this benefit if it lasts for at least half the total time. If it lasts for the entire extended time, you also regain the sorcery points spend on extend.

Whenever you cast a spell that deals damage, you can spend 1 sorcery point to deal damage equal to your Charisma modifier to all targets.

Improved Boundless Magic
At 14th level, you gain a second use of your Boundless Magic between long rests.

At 18th level, you gain Advantage on saving throws against magic and halve the cost of all your metamagic to minimum of 0.

Ravinsild
2017-08-24, 12:58 PM
Since I doubt we'll get one of these for 5e: http://www.wizards.com/files/367_Playing_Gnolls.pdf

I made my own Gnoll PC. It's in my signature.

Ixidor92
2017-08-24, 04:49 PM
I did a conversion of a lot of the Incarnum stuff from 3.5 to 5e. Both a couple of the races as well as the base class. For those not familiar, Incarnum was a mechanic introduced in late 3.5, maybe a year or so before 4e. The basic mechanic was your character could form items called "soulmelds" each of which gave a particular benefit to your character. Your character also had a resource called inarnum that they could invest into different soulmelds each round, effectively boosting the power of whatever soulmeld was most beneficial at the time. It sounded cool but in practice was fairly lackluster.

Skarn and Rilkan Races: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0rM-296KupAWjhYTzRLZEV1U3M
Incarnate class: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0rM-296KupAeWt3ZUFVRUZidms
Soulmeld list: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0rM-296KupAWEpVRlUzcTA4N1U

PhoenixPhyre
2017-08-24, 05:46 PM
I did a conversion of a lot of the Incarnum stuff from 3.5 to 5e. Both a couple of the races as well as the base class. For those not familiar, Incarnum was a mechanic introduced in late 3.5, maybe a year or so before 4e. The basic mechanic was your character could form items called "soulmelds" each of which gave a particular benefit to your character. Your character also had a resource called inarnum that they could invest into different soulmelds each round, effectively boosting the power of whatever soulmeld was most beneficial at the time. It sounded cool but in practice was fairly lackluster.

Skarn and Rilkan Races: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0rM-296KupAWjhYTzRLZEV1U3M
Incarnate class: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0rM-296KupAeWt3ZUFVRUZidms
Soulmeld list: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0rM-296KupAWEpVRlUzcTA4N1U

I have a couple comments after skimming these:

* I have a philosophical difference with this kind of conversion. There are many places where the philosophy of 3.5 (many small modifiers, situational bonuses, etc) shine through. 3.5e and 5e are mechanically different enough that conversions based on mechanics tend to be somewhat of a square peg in a round hole. Fluff/concept oriented conversions (keeping the basic play-style but letting the mechanics be written completely fresh to fit the big changes) work better for me.

* Some of the soulmelds are quite powerful: 15 + DEX AC for 1 essentia? That's a base AC of 20 (equal to full plate + shield) with none of the restrictions.

* I feel like I would need a spreadsheet to play this class. Round-by-round changes in passive bonuses seem very fiddly. That's not a knock against your work, I felt the same about 3.5e's Incarnum.

I took a different tack with Incarnum--I find the fluff (creating temporary items out of pure soul-stuff) to be a great fit for my setting and so I tried to create a class inspired by incarnum but more directly a 5e class. The result was the Seeker of Forms (Seeker for short) (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/edit/BJghOp9y_Z). I posted it above, but since then I've made significant changes, including adding two new subclasses. I'd love feedback--I know the numbers aren't balanced yet. That, or a chance to play-test it, but that whole not having time thing...

Ixidor92
2017-08-24, 06:23 PM
I have a couple comments after skimming these:

* I have a philosophical difference with this kind of conversion. There are many places where the philosophy of 3.5 (many small modifiers, situational bonuses, etc) shine through. 3.5e and 5e are mechanically different enough that conversions based on mechanics tend to be somewhat of a square peg in a round hole. Fluff/concept oriented conversions (keeping the basic play-style but letting the mechanics be written completely fresh to fit the big changes) work better for me.

* Some of the soulmelds are quite powerful: 15 + DEX AC for 1 essentia? That's a base AC of 20 (equal to full plate + shield) with none of the restrictions.

* I feel like I would need a spreadsheet to play this class. Round-by-round changes in passive bonuses seem very fiddly. That's not a knock against your work, I felt the same about 3.5e's Incarnum.

I took a different tack with Incarnum--I find the fluff (creating temporary items out of pure soul-stuff) to be a great fit for my setting and so I tried to create a class inspired by incarnum but more directly a 5e class. The result was the Seeker of Forms (Seeker for short) (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/edit/BJghOp9y_Z). I posted it above, but since then I've made significant changes, including adding two new subclasses. I'd love feedback--I know the numbers aren't balanced yet. That, or a chance to play-test it, but that whole not having time thing...

Like you, I haven't had a chance to playtest this, so I don't know how bad it gets in actual practice. My thought process was to limit the number of soulmelds to only six and keep the amount of essentia low to reduce book keeping, don't know if that actually worked.

After taking a skim through your material: It looks like the power of each item is a lot more condensed, and borrows ideas from other classes (which makes the text a lot easier to read incidentally) I did have one question about the "essence points" for the class. A lot of their effects are desirable, but some of them are one time abilities, while others simply improve a shaped form. Does a benefit like this last until you replenish the essence points with a short rest, or did I miss a duration somewhere?

I will say I like the look of the class, though the capstone ability at level 18 seems a little odd. True resurrection seems to fit the class thematically, but not necessarily mechanically. Most of the other mechanics look cool

PhoenixPhyre
2017-08-24, 06:44 PM
Like you, I haven't had a chance to playtest this, so I don't know how bad it gets in actual practice. My thought process was to limit the number of soulmelds to only six and keep the amount of essentia low to reduce book keeping, don't know if that actually worked.

After taking a skim through your material: It looks like the power of each item is a lot more condensed, and borrows ideas from other classes (which makes the text a lot easier to read incidentally) I did have one question about the "essence points" for the class. A lot of their effects are desirable, but some of them are one time abilities, while others simply improve a shaped form. Does a benefit like this last until you replenish the essence points with a short rest, or did I miss a duration somewhere?

I will say I like the look of the class, though the capstone ability at level 18 seems a little odd. True resurrection seems to fit the class thematically, but not necessarily mechanically. Most of the other mechanics look cool

Essence points are short-rest resources (like monk ki points). Basically, each form has a basic/advanced passive effect and an active effect that you get by spending essence. The active effects are supposed to be short-duration or instant--most of the reaction effects are either one-shot or "until the beginning of your next turn" (a la shield). That way you don't have a bunch of the active effects up simultaneously (to cut down on book-keeping). I may have not made that clear though. In essence (pun intended), you can spend your essence points on any form you have bound to gain a one-and-done boost.

Basically, I went for seekers being invested in specific forms--since you don't know many, you have your favorites. Having active abilities you can change mimics having a wide array of choices without the bloat and interactions. You get your combat form for free at level 3 and switching to that doesn't take an action; all others do. They're designed to not be changed in-combat (because of the action economy cost). It's more long-term flexibility, not round-by-round flexibility like 3.5e's Incarnum was.

I'm still not entirely happy with the capstone--it was supposed to be a sub-class feature but I couldn't think of good ones. True resurrection fit thematically, but :shrug: as to the mechanics. Suggestions are welcome. I'm also not sure as to how many ribbons vs non-ribbons there should be.

MxKit
2017-08-24, 11:21 PM
I have a playable race! It's not a monster from the Monster Manual exactly, but I tried to make it the equivalent of having a playable hag. It's inspired by the existence of the changeling playable race in Pathfinder, sort of, but only in the sense of "what if some of those girls the hags 'gave birth to' were actually playable and the subraces corresponded to their mothers' hag types?"

So... Have the hagetess, also known colloquially as the witch. I imagine this playable race is the result of a hag doing the "devour an infant and then give birth a week later" thing, only when it reaches the girl's thirteenth birthday, only a partial transformation occurs. Full haghood doesn't take, so the character isn't automatically evil and doesn't gain the full extent of a hag's powers. This race would probably be mostly limited to female characters, but I can think of exceptions that I as a DM would accept (the hag wanting her offspring to be a daughter but the character ending up a trans boy, for example), so it doesn't have to be a complete limitation.

Hagetess (aka Witch)
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, with one exception (see the Bheur subrace).
Age. When an apparently humanoid girl reaches the age of 13, that's when she completes the transformation into a full-fledged hag. The same remains true of hagetesses, who reach a sudden adulthood at 13 and can live hundreds of years longer than the race they were born as.
Alignment. Unlike a true hag, a hagetess's transformation didn't fully "take." They often stay whatever alignment they were in life, though occasionally they may shift from Good to Neutral.
Size. Hagetesses are somewhat taller than humans on average; ones of the annis subrace can grow to be almost half-orc in size. Your size is Medium.
Darkvision. You are a fey creature, and have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of grey.
Sharp-Eyed. You have proficiency with the Perception skill.
Sharp-Clawed. The nails on your hands are claw-like natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike. You can dual wield with your claws as you would any other weapon.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common.
Subrace. When your character hit 13, she gained one of five subraces, depending on her hag mother. It is possible for a hagetess to change subraces throughout her life; if you decide to do this, you lose all benefits, including languages, of your former subrace, and they're replaced by your new one. It also takes 1d10 in-game months to accomplish, from the moment you decide to do so, but you don't have to spend down-time on it.

Green Mother
Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Tricky. You gain proficiency in one of the following skills: Arcana, Deception, Stealth.
Illusory Appearance. You can cast disguise self as if it were a cantrip using this racial feature. You cannot disguise yourself as a specific other person using this feature.
Mimicry. You can mimic animal sounds and humanoid voices. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 14 Wisdom (Insight) check. If you are imitating a specific person whose voice they are familiar with (have spoken to more than once or twice), they have advantage on the roll.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write either Draconic or Sylvan.

Night Mother
Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Tricky. You gain proficiency in one of the following skills: Deception, Insight, Stealth.
Fiendish. You are immune to being charmed, and have advantage to saving throws against other magical effects, but not damage.
Illusory Appearance. You can cast disguise self as if it were a cantrip using this spell, but only to disguise yourself as a female humanoid. You cannot disguise yourself as a specific other person using this feature.
Magical Ritualist. You know the detect magic spell as a ritual, and can cast it as a ritual only unless you learn it again in some other manner.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write either Abyssal or Infernal.

Sea Mother
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1.
Amphibious. You can breathe air and water, and gain a swim speed of 40 ft.
Illusory Appearance. You can cast disguise self as if it were a cantrip using this spell, but only to disguise yourself as an ugly humanoid. You cannot disguise yourself as a specific other person using this feature.
Horrific Appearance. Once per long or short rest, you can use a bonus action to shift your appearance to that of one more closely resembling a true Sea Hag. Any humanoid that starts its turn within 30 feet of you and can see you must make a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, with disadvantage if you are within its line of sight, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to your Horrific Appearance for the next 24 hours. You stay in this form for 5 minutes, until you are knocked unconscious or forced to sleep, or until you use another bonus action to shift back; once you leave this form, the frightened effect immediately ends for any afflicted creatures at the start of their next turn.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write either Aquan or Giant.

Annis Mother
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Tricky. You gain proficiency in Deception.
Magic Concealment. You have two first-level "spell slots" with this racial feature, that you can only use to cast disguise self or fog cloud. You automatically know these two spells, and can only cast them using this racial feature unless you gain them again in some other way. You regain this feature's "spell slots" after a long rest.
Insistent Hug. Instead of making a grapple check, you can make a melee weapon attack roll to grapple a target. You cannot grapple any target you would otherwise be unable to, but the grapple automatically succeeds on a hit. You are proficient in this attack.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write either Giant or Sylvan.

Bheur Mother
Ability Score Increase. Instead of your Strength score increasing, your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Charisma score increases by 1.
Tricky. You gain proficiency in one of the following skills: Nature, Stealth, Survival.
Icy Heart. You are immune to cold damage and freezing environments. You can also move across nonmagical icy surfaces without needing to make an ability check, and nonmagical difficult terrain comprised of ice or snow doesn't cost extra movement for you.
Blizardess. You know the ray of frost cantrip. When you reach third level, you can cast the sleet storm spell once with this trait, and you regain the ability to cast it this way when you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write either Auran or Giant.

When it comes to balance, I'm mostly wanting to know if this race and any of its subraces is unbalanced compared to the other official playable races. I don't want to have made it, say, stronger than even the Yuan-ti Pureblood, and I'm a little worried I have! I also want to make sure that even if all the subraces aren't totally balanced against each other (not all Genasi are equal, either, after all), none of them are drastically over- or under-powered compared to the others.

(I'm also a little worried that Illusory Appearance steps on the Warlock a bit, but I'm hoping not, since it's just one Invocation they can pick up at level 2. Still, if that's a problem, I definitely want to fix it!)

BillyBobShorton
2017-08-25, 05:13 AM
Something players ask me kinda often is "can I do a called shot?" which, I have had to say no to. But I've made up a mechanic for a called shots which I'll be implimenting soon.

(It will also be a FEAT the players could take-Deadly Striker- if they couldn't normally do it due to class restrictions-or adding 1 extra called shot. The feat will allow a player the option of adding +1 to their dex or str as well.)

CALLED SHOT: This option allows you use your action to call a shot on a creature up to 1 size larger than your current size (in case a gnome or halfling uses enlarge). Starting at 6th level, you use your action, foregoing any reactions or bonus actions for that turn as you study your enemy in the heat of combat to carefully aim your weapon at the right moment. On your next turn, initiative count 20 (losing all ties), you make a weapon attack roll against the enemy using your normal attack/proficiency modifiers. If you hit, you do double damage, triple on a natural 20. You then consult a chart (from the 2e critical hits chart in Combat & Tactics-which you roll various dice depending on the size vs enemy to indicate the level of severity done to the body part, ranging from "no unusual effect", to "arm broken" to "limb x severed"). Martial Classes (Fighter, Paladin, Barbarian, Monk, Ranger), Assassin, and War Domain Clerics may only use this feature once per long rest, and twice at 12th level. War Clerics must use a channel divinity to exercise this option, and only once/long rest; twice at 12the level.

I have also put in place a mechanic for doing non-lethal dmg.

NON-LETHAL STRIKE- The basic idea is that if you call non-lethal, but roll a 20, it is still a crit and does normal dmg. Imagine a rogue aiming for the leg with an arror on a badly wounded foe to take him out, but not kill him... well, if he rolls a crit, he still plunks the guy in the throat or eyeball or heart. Nothing is a guarantee. Also, using a slashing or piercing weapon to do non-lethal dmg but still getting the full dmg plus modifers seems ridiculous to me. How does one "carefully slice the almost dead enemy with my sword+2 so he doesn't die" w/o using the hilt of his weapon? The answer is either use the hilt (1d4 as an improvised weapon), have a club ready, or they buy custom crafted wooden "stoppers" to slap on their weapons, which requires a bonus action and turns their weapon's damage into non-magical bludgeoning damage, but with their normal modifiers. The nat 20 roll still applies, as you could try to KO a baddie, but actually end up hemorrhaging him or busting a rib that punctures his lung or w/e.

Thoughts?

BillyBobShorton
2017-08-25, 05:18 AM
I have a playable race! It's not a monster from the Monster Manual exactly, but I tried to make it the equivalent of having a playable hag. It's inspired by the existence of the changeling playable race in Pathfinder, sort of, but only in the sense of "what if some of those girls the hags 'gave birth to' were actually playable and the subraces corresponded to their mothers' hag types?"

So... Have the hagetess, also known colloquially as the witch.
Love it!! Always wanted to homebrew a witch class/race into the game.

Ixidor92
2017-08-25, 08:17 AM

So... Have the hagetess, also known colloquially as the witch. I imagine this playable race is the result of a hag doing the "devour an infant and then give birth a week later" thing, only when it reaches the girl's thirteenth birthday, only a partial transformation occurs. Full haghood doesn't take, so the character isn't automatically evil and doesn't gain the full extent of a hag's powers. This race would probably be mostly limited to female characters, but I can think of exceptions that I as a DM would accept (the hag wanting her offspring to be a daughter but the character ending up a trans boy, for example), so it doesn't have to be a complete limitation.

Hagetess (aka Witch)
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2, with one exception (see the Bheur subrace).
Age. When an apparently humanoid girl reaches the age of 13, that's when she completes the transformation into a full-fledged hag. The same remains true of hagetesses, who reach a sudden adulthood at 13 and can live hundreds of years longer than the race they were born as.
Alignment. Unlike a true hag, a hagetess's transformation didn't fully "take." They often stay whatever alignment they were in life, though occasionally they may shift from Good to Neutral.
Size. Hagetesses are somewhat taller than humans on average; ones of the annis subrace can grow to be almost half-orc in size. Your size is Medium.
Darkvision. You are a fey creature, and have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of grey.
Sharp-Clawed. The nails on your hands are claw-like natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike. You can dual wield with your claws as you would any other weapon.
Subrace. When your character hit 13, she gained one of five subraces, depending on her hag mother. It is possible for a hagetess to change subraces throughout her life; if you decide to do this, you lose all benefits, including languages, of your former subrace, and they're replaced by your new one. It also takes 1d10 in-game months to accomplish, from the moment you decide to do so, but you don't have to spend down-time on it.

Green Mother
Tricky. You gain proficiency in one of the following skills: Arcana, Deception, Stealth.
Illusory Appearance. You can cast disguise self as if it were a cantrip using this racial feature. You cannot disguise yourself as a specific other person using this feature.
Mimicry. You can mimic animal sounds and humanoid voices. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations with a successful DC 14 Wisdom (Insight) check. If you are imitating a specific person whose voice they are familiar with (have spoken to more than once or twice), they have advantage on the roll.

Night Mother
Tricky. You gain proficiency in one of the following skills: Deception, Insight, Stealth.
Fiendish. You are immune to being charmed, and have advantage to saving throws against other magical effects, but not damage.
Illusory Appearance. You can cast disguise self as if it were a cantrip using this spell, but only to disguise yourself as a female humanoid. You cannot disguise yourself as a specific other person using this feature.
Magical Ritualist. You know the detect magic spell as a ritual, and can cast it as a ritual only unless you learn it again in some other manner.

Sea Mother
Illusory Appearance. You can cast disguise self as if it were a cantrip using this spell, but only to disguise yourself as an ugly humanoid. You cannot disguise yourself as a specific other person using this feature.
Horrific Appearance. Once per long or short rest, you can use a bonus action to shift your appearance to that of one more closely resembling a true Sea Hag. Any humanoid that starts its turn within 30 feet of you and can see you must make a DC 11 Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, with disadvantage if you are within its line of sight, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to your Horrific Appearance for the next 24 hours. You stay in this form for 5 minutes, until you are knocked unconscious or forced to sleep, or until you use another bonus action to shift back; once you leave this form, the frightened effect immediately ends for any afflicted creatures at the start of their next turn.

Annis Mother
Magic Concealment. You have two first-level "spell slots" with this racial feature, that you can only use to cast disguise self or fog cloud. You automatically know these two spells, and can only cast them using this racial feature unless you gain them again in some other way. You regain this feature's "spell slots" after a long rest.
Insistent Hug. Instead of making a grapple check, you can make a melee weapon attack roll to grapple a target. You cannot grapple any target you would otherwise be unable to, but the grapple automatically succeeds on a hit. You are proficient in this attack.

Bheur Mother
Ability Score Increase. Instead of your Strength score increasing, your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Charisma score increases by 1.
Tricky. You gain proficiency in one of the following skills: Nature, Stealth, Survival.
Icy Heart. You are immune to cold damage and freezing environments. You can also move across nonmagical icy surfaces without needing to make an ability check, and nonmagical difficult terrain comprised of ice or snow doesn't cost extra movement for you.
Blizardess. You know the ray of frost cantrip. When you reach third level, you can cast the sleet storm spell once with this trait, and you regain the ability to cast it this way when you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

When it comes to balance, I'm mostly wanting to know if this race and any of its subraces is unbalanced compared to the other official playable races. I don't want to have made it, say, stronger than even the Yuan-ti Pureblood, and I'm a little worried I have! I also want to make sure that even if all the subraces aren't totally balanced against each other (not all Genasi are equal, either, after all), none of them are drastically over- or under-powered compared to the others.

(I'm also a little worried that Illusory Appearance steps on the Warlock a bit, but I'm hoping not, since it's just one Invocation they can pick up at level 2. Still, if that's a problem, I definitely want to fix it!)

I really like most of what I see here. Probably will end up using it in my games. The one thing I wanted to bring up is the save DCs for some of the abilities. Best I can tell (don't have the MM on me right now) you copied the save D.C.'s wholesale from the hag monster stats. This means they don't improve with level or proficiency at all. I would personally change those so that as the character grew stronger their innate racial abilities didn't fade from use. Other than that I love everything

Kuulvheysoon
2017-08-26, 12:05 AM

Hagetess (aka Witch)

Green Mother

Night Mother

Sea Mother

Annis Mother

Bheur Mother

Honestly, my gut says overpowered. Let's compare them to elves, a pretty middle of the pack race.

Elf
Hagetess
Difference

Dexterity +2
Strength +2
Edge: Elf. Dexterity is a stronger ability score than strength is.

Speed 30ft
Speed 30ft
Edge: None.

Darkvision 60ft
Darkvision 60ft
Edge: None.

Proficiency in Perception
Proficiency in Perception
Edge: none

Advantage vs. Charm effects, immune to magical sleep
Natural weapons (1d4+Strength)
Edge: Elf again. So I feel as if the base elven chassis is a bit stronger.

Trance
Ability to change subrace
Edge: Hagetess. You've given each subrace a set of powerful abilites, which is honestly where my worry lies.

Let's compare them to the High Elf, because they get a cantrip and most of these get one too.

High Elf
Green Mother
Night Mother
Sea Mother
Annis Mother
Bheur Mother

+1 Intelligence
+1 Wisdom
+1 Intelligence
+1 Constitiution
+1 Charisma
+2 Dexterity, +1 Charisma, -2 Strength

Elven Weapon Training
Tricky (choice of 1 of 3 pretty decent skills)
Amphibious
Proficiency in Deception

Choice of cantrip
Free at-will 1st level spell (disguise self)
Weird mechanic where you effectively get two extra bonus spells if you're a spellcaster,
if not then you basically become a spellcaster with 2 slots and 2 spells known.
Free cantrip (ray of frost), 3rd level spell 1/long rest

Bonus language of your choice
Bonus language, choice 1 of 2

-
Mimicry
Free *useful* ritual spell access (detect magic)
Fear effect at first level, recharges on a long or short rest
Ability to add proficiency to grapple without being proficient in Athletics
Flat out immunity to cold.

-
-
immunity to charm, advantage on saving throws vs. non damaging spells.
-
-
-

In terms of power, I'd rate this as at least equal to the Half-Elf, and maybe coming close to Variant Human (depending on your specific build). Power-wise, I feel like it's Annis<Green<Sea<Bheur<Night.

YMMV, of course. This is just my 2cp.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-08-26, 01:27 PM
A concept i always wanted to play but never got the chance was the 'rampaging demon'. I know with alot of fluff and multiclassing i can get something close to this but it makes more sense to be barbarian sub class and it's weird that we don't have one yet. So i give you this. Tell me what you think.

The Savage Fiend is a being of rage unlike any natural creature. Its power stems from both the Nine Hells and the Abyss, changing the once mortal warrior into an unstoppable brute. As the Savage grows in power it transforms into a true incarnation of rage and ferocity, a mix of Pit fiend and Balor. Many things can create such a being. Perhaps it participated in the Bloodwars in a past life and the energies carried over,
or a demon possession gone astray when the host had enough control to bargain with a devil. The most common ways are magical experimentation gone wrong (or right) or having both demonic and diabolic ancestry in ones blood.

Your senses have surged with diabolical power, piercing the darkness and giving you an uncanny sense for blood. At 3rd level when you adopt this path, you gain the ability to see in darkness, both magical and non magical, out to 60 feet. If you already have darkvision this range increases to 120 feet. You also have advantage on Wisdom(Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Your body mutates and grows grotesque limbs. A pair of black horns spring forth from your skull, You mouth grows into a maw with large serrated teeth, your feet turn into cloven hooves, a long and muscular tail sprouts from your backside, or your fingers extend and harden into claws. At 3rd level your unarmed strike uses a d4 for damage and it deals slashing, piercing or bludgeoning damage as appropriate. In addition when you use an unarmed strike to make a melee weapon attack, it receives double your rage bonus to damage, instead of normal.
Starting at 6th level, your unarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

Absorbed with demonic essence and diabolic energies, your body is accustomed to magic.
At 6th level you have advantage on saving throws against spells and magical effects.

The fires of a balor and the fearsome might of a pit fiend consume you when you battle. Starting at 10th level whenever you begin a rage you can choose any number enemy you see that can also see you within 30 feet to succeed on a Wisdom saving throw (DC= 8 + proficiency bonus + Constitution modifier) or be frightened of you until the beginning of your next turn. In addition, at the start of your turn while raging, any enemy that is within 5 feat of you takes 2d4 + your rage damage bonus in fire damage. If a creature hits you with a melee weapon attack while within 5 feet of you during your rage, that creature takes your rage bonus in fire damage. You also gain fire resistance.

Your transformation completes. You gain the teleportation of demons, black bat-like wings sprout from your back and when you rage neither fire, cold, or storm can stop you. At 14th level you gain a fly speed equal to your walking speed, and when you rage you gain cold and lightning resistance.
Additionally you can cast Misty Step without expending any spell slots or needing components a number of times equal to your constitution modifier and you can cast this spell while raging. You regain the ability to do this when you finish a long rest.

So it hasn't seen much testing. I'm open for name suggestions and any help with balancing and wording. What do you guys think? Does it have the right feel? Is the fire aura too damage?

MxKit
2017-08-26, 06:01 PM
Love it!! Always wanted to homebrew a witch class/race into the game.

Thank you! And same here, I always like seeing Witch among the magical options in a game. I think it'd make a really cool homebrew class.

I really like most of what I see here. Probably will end up using it in my games. The one thing I wanted to bring up is the save DCs for some of the abilities. Best I can tell (don't have the MM on me right now) you copied the save D.C.'s wholesale from the hag monster stats. This means they don't improve with level or proficiency at all. I would personally change those so that as the character grew stronger their innate racial abilities didn't fade from use. Other than that I love everything

And thank you too! I'm glad to hear you like the look of them. :D I might be adjusting them some, but if I do I'll repost it and leave the originals up, so you can use those if you prefer them. You're probably right about the DCs; I might make it so those raise over time, but nerf one or two other things to balance it out.

Honestly, my gut says overpowered. [snip comparisons] In terms of power, I'd rate this as at least equal to the Half-Elf, and maybe coming close to Variant Human (depending on your specific build). Power-wise, I feel like it's Annis<Green<Sea<Bheur<Night.

YMMV, of course. This is just my 2cp.

Not to get repetitive, but seriously, thank YOU as well. I've been wavering back and forth on whether I should nerf some stuff, and I think I definitely should make a few tweaks from the way you broke it down.

MxKit
2017-08-26, 06:57 PM
Okay guys, I went ahead and reworked the Hagetess really quickly, trying to make it more balanced compared to other races, and make the subraces a bit more equal to each other. I'm not 100% sure about the subclasses' skill proficiencies, and even less sure about the Sea Mother subrace as a whole, but I hope this one's a little less OP.

Hagetess (aka Witch)
Age. When an apparently human girl reaches the age of 13, that's when she completes the transformation into a full-fledged hag. The same remains true of hagetesses, who reach a sudden adulthood at 13 and can live to be 250 years old.
Alignment. Unlike a true hag, a hagetess's transformation didn't fully "take." They often stay whatever alignment they were in life, though occasionally they may go from Good to Neutral.
Size. Hagetesses grow to be somewhat taller than humans on average; ones of the annis subrace can grow to be almost half-orc in size. Your size is Medium.
Darkvision. You are a fey creature, and have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Claws. The nails on your hands are clawlike natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike. You can dual wield with your claws as you would any other weapon.

Green Mother
Deceptive. You gain proficiency in the Deception skill.
Illusory Appearance. You can disguise yourself as if casting the disguise self spell once per long rest. You cannot disguise yourself as a specific other person using this feature.
Mimicry. You can mimic animal sounds and humanoid voices. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are imitations by making a successful Wisdom (Insight) check with a DC of 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier. If you are imitating a specific person whose voice they are familiar with (have spoken to more than once or twice), they have advantage on the roll.

Night Mother
Manipulative. You gain proficiency in the Insight skill.
Fiendish. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed, and against specifically magical sources of being frightened.
Illusory Appearance. You can disguise yourself as if casting the disguise self spell once per long rest, but only to disguise yourself as a female humanoid. You cannot disguise yourself as a specific other person using this feature.

Sea Mother
Amphibious. You can breathe air and water, and gain a swim speed of 30 ft.
Illusory Appearance. You can disguise yourself as if casting the disguise self spell once per long rest, but only to disguise yourself as an ugly humanoid. You cannot disguise yourself as a specific other person using this feature.
Horrific Appearance. Once per long or short rest, you can use a bonus action to shift your appearance to that of one more closely resembling a true Sea Hag. Any humanoid that starts its turn within 30 feet of you and can see you must make a Wisdom saving throw with a DC of 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier. On a failed save, the creature is frightened until the end of your next turn. If a creature's saving throw is successful, or when the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to your Horrific Appearance for the next 24 hours. You stay in this form for 5 minutes, until you are knocked unconscious or forced to sleep, or until you use a full action to shift back; once you leave this form, the frightened effect immediately ends for any afflicted creatures at the start of their next turn, but while you're in it you have disadvantage on all Charisma rolls other than Intimidation, and NPCs may not be well-disposed towards you.

Annis Mother
Cruel. You gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill.
Obscuring Mist. You can cast the equivalent of the fog cloud spell once per long rest.
Crushing Hug. Instead of making a grapple check, you can make a melee weapon attack roll to grapple a target. You cannot grapple any target you would otherwise be unable to, but the grapple automatically succeeds on a hit. You are proficient in this attack.

Bheur Mother
Self-Sufficient. You gain proficiency in the Survival skill.
Icy Heart. You are resistant to cold damage and unbothered by freezing environments. Nonmagical difficult terrain comprised of ice or snow also doesn't cost extra movement for you.
Blizardess. You know either the ray of frost cantrip, or the frostbite cantrip. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for this spell.