PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Homebrew Patron, how does this sound?

Slarg
2017-08-07, 09:42 PM
Hey all!

So recently a coworker of mine has been practically begging for me to join her D&D group, to which I finally said yes (Work conflict being the major factor), and while I wasn't planning on playing anything homebrew this time around (Her group is almost completely novice players) I decided to play as a "healbot" Druid.

However, this got me thinking; why isn't there a healing Warlock yet? Naturally you'd have to flavor it up right (Can't just be a warlock with healing, that's no fun), and I came up with a Patron trait that I feel would help invoke the idea of "Power at a Price" that would help differentiate the Warlock's healing patron.

Blood Siphon
Starting at Level 1, whenever you cast a spell that would cause another character to regain Hit Points, you may elect to lose 4 hit points. If you do, that target regains an additional 1d4 health. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma Modifier per short or long rest. You may not elect to lose hit points if it would take you to or below 0.

The dice changes to 1d8 at level 4, 1d12 at level 8, and 1d20 at level 12.

With the "Patron Spells" including a list of restoratitive options, like Cure Wounds, Heal, and other such options, and then the other feats having a little bit of Lifestealing/regeneration mechanics thrown in.

This doesn't sound like something game breaking, does it?

Elminster298
2017-08-07, 09:59 PM
Hey all!

So recently a coworker of mine has been practically begging for me to join her D&D group, to which I finally said yes (Work conflict being the major factor), and while I wasn't planning on playing anything homebrew this time around (Her group is almost completely novice players) I decided to play as a "healbot" Druid.

However, this got me thinking; why isn't there a healing Warlock yet? Naturally you'd have to flavor it up right (Can't just be a warlock with healing, that's no fun), and I came up with a Patron trait that I feel would help invoke the idea of "Power at a Price" that would help differentiate the Warlock's healing patron.

With the "Patron Spells" including a list of restoratitive options, like Cure Wounds, Heal, and other such options, and then the other feats having a little bit of Lifestealing/regeneration mechanics thrown in.

This doesn't sound like something game breaking, does it?

Warlock already has The Celestial in Unearthed Arcana that give a substantial amount of healing. Your's isn't a bad feature but I do think it's a bit underwhelming.

Rebonack
2017-08-08, 10:38 AM
A Celestial Pact Warlock with the UA spell Healing Elixir and the Pact of the Chain boon is a pretty solid healer. It doesn't really come online until level 3, but once it does they've got some amazing action economy. You use downtime to burn spell slots to create healing elixirs. Then you equip your invisible familiar of choice with a bandoleer full of healing potions. The familiar flits around the battle feeding potions to your friends and uses the Help action when no one needs healing.

If you can convince your DM to let you use the spellpoint variant for the Warlock absolutely do it. It fixes one of their core problems (getting punished for picking spells that don't scale) and allows them to utilize the Healing Elixir spell more efficiently. If you can convince your DM to let you swap out Cure Wounds on the Celestial Warlock expanded spell list with Healing Word, absolutely do that, too.