PDA

View Full Version : Superpower: Combining existing technology

Sønderjye
2017-08-07, 11:50 PM
I am playing a character in a game that can combine 2 or 3 different existing pieces of technology and I am looking for interesting combinations/technologies.

Examples could include boots+jetpack for the ability to fly ironman style and Google glasses+x-ray equipment for glasses that can record and take pictures of the world in x-ray. League of legends+world of warcraft would make one of the worlds most addictive games but unfortunately neither of the companies would likely allow us to use the source code etc. It's possible to think outside the box and do things that doesn't really make sense, for instance combining Nitrous Oxide+a wooden floor+coke(the drug) would make a wooden floor that secretes gas that is addictive and makes you laugh and an artificially modified organism+chloroform makes an organism that produces chloroform.

I'm interested in anything that you can come up with but in particular I would love to hear suggestions for combinations that
Can store brain activity and put it into a new body, or otherwise prevent people from dying.
Can allow people to learn faster.
Can make people much stronger/faster/otherwise improve folks.
Can be used for world domination.
Can be used for teleport.
Have massive destructive force.
Can be used to find missing people.
Are cool, interesting or useful on a worldchanging scale.

Bonus points if the components are cheap and easily available.

Bulhakov
2017-08-08, 04:44 AM
Brain implant (electrode array) + usb (or other) port = universal port for reading/editing/wiping/backing up of memories :)

For stranger ones:
cocaine + computer chip = pleasure implant (that can pave the way to a hive-mind or massive mind control of addicts)

Sønderjye
2017-08-10, 03:39 PM
Those are excellent suggestions.

Quertus
2017-08-10, 04:35 PM
Back in oWoD*, I always thought that the Cor 4 Matter 5 (or so) semi auto CAD cam rote was just the most awesome thing ever. Then, in nWoD*, they made it a simple Matter 3 rote that even starting characters could pull off! Now, here you've apparently got a character with a very similar ability. Let's see what we can come up with...

Actually, I'm a bit confused by your chloroform example - why would that produce an organism that purposes chloroform? I mean, if you can pull off silly things like that, create spiders that spin gold and platinum webs, and modify yourself to poop diamonds.

Personally, I'm loving the idea of crossing an elephant and a fruit fly, to get a flying pachyderm that not only reaches full size, but dies of old age within 48 hours. Perhaps cross it with an air plant to remedy the need to feed it, with a sheep for wool, or with something else that produces something useful.

For teleportation, I'd suggest combining the entirety of the universe with, say, an imaginary place in your head. Build rooms in this "mind palace", and use them to teleport to the places whose rooms you imagine.

Or, combine the entirety of the world with your laptop, and use it to find things, teleport, reprogram people, etc etc etc. Just be careful that you can survive when you shut the world down for the night!

* my abbreviations are out of date; hopefully, you can figure it out from context.

Sønderjye
2017-08-10, 06:24 PM
Unfortunately I am limited to technology so most of those won't fly. I have been told to use this definition.

"The application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, especially in industry, "advances in computer technology". Machinery and equipment developed from the application of scientific knowledge. The branch of knowledge dealing with engineering or applied science

The organism worked because I used an artificially created organism. Something like a straight spider wouldn't work although if it was sufficiently removed from a natural spider trough say gene manipulation it could work. The idea of using gold or platinum isn't bad.

I were told that I couldn't combine something with origami figures to make them foldable but I could achieve that effect by combining things with a swizz army knife

TeChameleon
2017-08-11, 02:34 AM
Hmm- you didn't mention a limit in terms of scale, so apologies if there's one that these suggestions blow past.

So here's a few...:
Body armour + Forklift = Strength-boosting Powered Armour
Tesla Coil + Generator/Power Plant + Rifle = Lightning Gun
Camera Quadrotor Drone + GMO Corn = Fast-growing crop of tens of thousands of tiny flying spy-eyes
Genetically-Engineered Bacteria + containment bottles full of Chlorine Trifluoride (http://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time) = The poor fools you unleash this on wil get sick, and as soon as they start to get over it (and their autoimmune defenses breach the cell walls of the bacteria), they explode in a cloud of fire and burning hydrofluoric acid. Has the added bonus of being self-sterilizing, since, y'know, exploding in a cloud of poisonous acid. That's on fire. The actual, official safety information for Chlorine Trifluoride basically boils down to 'in case of emergency, run the **** away'. This stuff can literally light asbestos on fire. Amazingly fun stuff in a fictional setting :smallamused: (and if your GM protests, the stuff is legally available for mail-order, since it's used industrially for cleaning superconductors).

ElChad
2017-08-11, 06:36 AM
Solar Battery + Chainsaw + Chain = Chain Saw Chain. Become the bane of your enemies as you keep them at bay...n.

Mastikator
2017-08-11, 10:10 AM
cybernetic brain implant + wi-fi + computer + machine learning = knows everything, superhuman intelligence

Sønderjye
2017-08-11, 05:53 PM
Great suggestions everyone!

ImNotTrevor
2017-08-11, 09:40 PM
For some of the more crackpot and/or weirdly useful ideas to pull out if the character has a bit of a "mad inventor" streak:
Hair removal laser + spotlight [remove all of someone's exposed hair at once. Painful, and excellent for indicating a target.

Garbage disposal + drone [flying head-blender]

Ferrari + Lamborghini [car that goes really really fast and then immediately breaks down]

Wifi router + radio tower [free wifi for the whole city.]

Bug zapper + smartphone [an app that kills bugs]

Quertus
2017-08-12, 11:12 AM
Car + ink pen: a car that runs for years on a small tube of ink, and never needs maintenance. May help you "leave your mark" on the city.

Toilet + generator: turn your waste disposal into free energy.

Helium + steel: very sturdy, lighter than air building materials.

Clothes + smart phone: be the best dressed super hero; a costume change is just a click away.