PDA

View Full Version : What's your experience with mounted combat?

CrackedChair
2017-08-08, 12:43 AM
I'm about to try using horseback combat in a D&D campaign later, and I want to know how this sort of thing works out for you in 5th edition.

Historically, horseback units were one of the most powerful units in Europe and other parts of the world, so it does make sense how it'd be great. Plus the feat Mounted Combatant is nuts, giving you advantage on things smaller than your mount.

Unoriginal
2017-08-08, 03:38 AM
I have no experience of mounted combat myself, but by-the-book it does give the rider some nice advantages. Not sure if you have more precise questions.

Just remember that anti-cavalry were also some of the most powerful units in Europe and elsewhere.

Lombra
2017-08-08, 08:28 AM
The boost in mobility is cool, but without the feat your mount is gonna die pretty quickly. It gets tricky to mantain a living mount and to bring it along in narrow spaces. Find steed is definately the best friend of a mounted combatant. And keep your animal handling high, like really high: you won't want to fail that check when it comes.

Unoriginal
2017-08-08, 08:32 AM
Eh, the mount can use the Dodge action while you're busy fighting, it makes mounts a bit more durable.

I have to say the Hippogriff is far too often overlooked as a mount. They should be accessible even to relatively low-level adventurers, and flying is pretty useful then.

Lombra
2017-08-08, 08:48 AM
Eh, the mount can use the Dodge action while you're busy fighting, it makes mounts a bit more durable.

I have to say the Hippogriff is far too often overlooked as a mount. They should be accessible even to relatively low-level adventurers, and flying is pretty useful then.

Without barding, the dodge action is not gonna help a lot I think, plus, since the feat doesn't trigger when the mount gets hit, but when it gets targeted, you are always left guessing.

Barding is expensive but at least you get to do something with your gold past level 5. I think that Hippogriffs are overlooked because they are not commonly used in campaigns, but they sure would be a nice present for a mounted combat based character.

Another nice thing to try is to tame larger than large creatures to extend the targets of the feat, which add managing problems along with epicness.

Solunaris
2017-08-08, 08:50 AM
I played a mounted character for a good portion of a game, and I can say that you need to make sure you are still a good combatant off of your mount as well. They will die or you will have to eventually fight in an area where your horse can't go.

That said, Sentinel is a fantastic feat for this kind of character. Here was my regular combat at 6th level as a Battle Master Fighter with Mounted Combat and Sentinel. Mount takes the disengage action, rides up to the enemy where I proceed to smack them with my longsword and then rides out of their reach. Then, when they approach me I smack them with the longsword again. Usually they go after the mount so I force the attack to target me with Mounted Combat.

The earliest this build comes online where the mount can be trusted to not get insta-gibbed on the first round is level 3 realistically (unless you are a variant human). As a Battle Master, you can take Rally to give your mount some extra beef (though I'd recommend switching it out for something a bit more useful once you get Mounted Combat) and Maneuvering Attack for added mobility (in case the mount can't take the disengage action for some reason or you feat the enemy has Sentinel).

I'd like to point out that the size problem can be solved by simply being a Gnome or a Halfling and riding a Mastiff or Wolf. For a less squishy version of the mount go Ranger instead of Fighter but know that this choice will make you far less efficient at making the enemies stop moving.

Edit: I re-read the first post, and I realize I didn't answer the question fully. Mounted Combat works wonderfully when you have good support from ranged units to harry the enemy and a large, open area for the mounts to move in. The power is that the mounted units can rush in and get out safely while keeping themselves outside of the regular character's movement range. Unlike my character who wanted the enemies too approach so he could get another hit in, a mounted unit of warriors would run lances and shields. The lance (with reach) allows their mounts to dash instead of disengage so they get a whole ton of extra movement allowing them to comfortably sit outside of melee range every turn. If I were setting up a combat against a party using mounted soldiers they'd catch the party on a road of some sort surrounded by a field approaching a mountain or forest. The mounted units would rush out from cover, probably taking a turn to get in range of the party to dash in and out while ranged units attacked from cover behind them. This would force the party to either weather the ranged attacks as they dealt with the mounted units or try and rush the ranged units and hope they don't get chipped down by the mounted units. It'd pose a decent challenge to low level adventurers; especially if they don't have any long range AoE spells to take out the mounts. Strategically, the archers should focus on the lightly armored characters and mages above all else since they are the most likely to be able to deal with the mounts while the mounted units focus on keeping the party from advancing on the archers.

All in all, it's a super effective tactic in 5e provided it's done correctly and precautions are taken to protect the mounts.

Xetheral
2017-08-08, 01:28 PM
Best way to do mounted combat in 5e is with two PCs: a Moon Druid with the Sentinel feat as the mount, and a rider with Mounted Combat. Sentinel will always trigger when the pair is attacked in melee, so long as the rider is willing to risk the damage.

Good rider options (mix and match): Wolf-totem Barbarian (rage DR and permanent advantage for the Mount) Battlemaster Fighter (for riposte) Rogue (for sneak attack) Tunnel Fighter with PAM (for opportunity attacks) A ranged weapon (for kiting) Armor of Agathys (for more retribution) Dodge action (for more tanking) Booming Blade or Greenflame Blade(for better readied actions) Enlarge (for mount)
Good mount options (mix and match): Paladin (extra damage with smite) Battlemaster Fighter (commander's strike) Mobile feat (although you may sometimes want to provoke OAs) Expertise (for grappling) Any concentration spell (you won't often be hit) Call Lightning (for better standard actions) Dash action (more mobility)

Maxilian
2017-08-08, 03:25 PM
I have had 3 different experience with Mounted Combat.

1- Mounted Combat on a range unit (like a Wizard)

Its pretty good, even if you don't have the feat, the mount gives you enough movement to be able to stay out of your enemies range, and with some smart positioning, you can make sure it won't even be a possible target in most turns.

2- Mounted Combat on a small race. (Like a Halfling)

This is the one i have had the best result, as you never have to worry of having a feat that may not even be useful (as a large mount may not be able to enter many places), it also help you with the 5 speed less than any other race, and because of the size, is easier to find cover or anything like that for your mount.

-If you happen to be a range unit and small (like a Gnome Wizard), is great, as you don't have much reason to put the mount in too much danger, and if the mount happens to die, better the mount to take the hit than you... you can get another dog with 25 gold.

3- Fighting against mounted units while dismounted

It... was painfull, we did not die, but damn, enemies could easily go with a hit and run tactic, even if they still provoke OA, for melee users, it means that you will only have the chance to attack once (unless you somehow get to keep up with the speed of the mount), it also give the enemy advantage, making enemies even more deadly and your casters become a much easier target to attack.

Foxhound438
2017-08-08, 04:31 PM
Without barding, the dodge action is not gonna help a lot I think, plus, since the feat doesn't trigger when the mount gets hit, but when it gets targeted, you are always left guessing.

Barding is expensive but at least you get to do something with your gold past level 5. I think that Hippogriffs are overlooked because they are not commonly used in campaigns, but they sure would be a nice present for a mounted combat based character.

Another nice thing to try is to tame larger than large creatures to extend the targets of the feat, which add managing problems along with epicness.

elephants -are- in the equipment section under mounts, so...

Jaelommiss
2017-08-08, 05:16 PM
I played a Mounted Combatant Polearm Master Hunter Spell-less Variant Ranger. Everything died. After the gnome wizard awakened my horse with a madman's scroll, everything died faster. Then the DM handed out a Belt of Stone Giant Strength. What little semblance of game balance remained was swiftly defenestrated.

MintyNinja
2017-08-08, 05:20 PM
Best way to do mounted combat in 5e is with two PCs: a Moon Druid with the Sentinel feat as the mount, and a rider with Mounted Combat. Sentinel will always trigger when the pair is attacked in melee, so long as the rider is willing to risk the damage.

Good rider options (mix and match): Wolf-totem Barbarian (rage DR and permanent advantage for the Mount) Battlemaster Fighter (for riposte) Rogue (for sneak attack) Tunnel Fighter with PAM (for opportunity attacks) A ranged weapon (for kiting) Armor of Agathys (for more retribution) Dodge action (for more tanking) Booming Blade or Greenflame Blade(for better readied actions) Enlarge (for mount)
Good mount options (mix and match): Paladin (extra damage with smite) Battlemaster Fighter (commander's strike) Mobile feat (although you may sometimes want to provoke OAs) Expertise (for grappling) Any concentration spell (you won't often be hit) Call Lightning (for better standard actions) Dash action (more mobility)

I've done this. It was a blast for the two sessions that the GM allowed it. Especially since, as the druid, I kept a Flaming Sphere up and rolling around with my Bonus Actions.