PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Creating non-portable spell circles / sigils to assist in spellcasting

SpamCreateWater
2017-08-08, 01:18 AM
So there's a headquarters set up for a group of magic users. The headquarters won't move. Within the headquarters I want to add some spell circles / sigils to assist in the casting of spells. The spell circles / sigils won't move. What are bonuses that could be used, with the understanding that the PCs may go down the same route?

Examples of bonuses in:
A Zone of Truth room - The spell gets +2 to its DC; the spell lasts 24 hours; the spell fills the spell circle / sigil (so can be smaller/larger than 60ft); creatures need to make a CHA save every time they try to fight the zone.
A Clairvoyance room - The spell's cast time is 1 Action; the spell requires no material component; the spell's reach is dependant on the required distance at the creation of the spell circle (costs will therefore vary) and cannot be changed short of destroying and recreating the circle.

What are your thoughts on how much something like this would cost?
What about limitations on spells that are able to be used this way?
And limitations on spells that are allowed to be used? A Detect Thoughts room would be an excellent defensive measure if it was across a keep instead of limited to 30ft. In that case, however, I would consider limitations on being able to delve into someone's mind for deeper thoughts.

Kane0
2017-08-08, 01:42 AM
Hmm, lets see. Good spells that could theoretically get augmented by some sort of permanent circle:

Comprehend languages/Tongues (longer duration, affects additional people)
Detect X (greater range, more accurate information)
Locate X (greater range, more accurate information)
Sanctuary (longer duration, affects additional people)
Unseen Servant (longer duration, can do more things)
Arcane Lock/Guards and Wards (bigger area, tougher to disable)
Augury (broader scope, more accurate)
Calm Emotions (longer duration, affects additional people)
Gentle Repose (longer duration)
Skywrite (longer duration, more writing/images)
Aura of Vitality (longer duration, affects additional people)
Heroes Feast / Beacon of Hope (longer duration, affects additional people)
Conjure/Summon X (longer duration, tougher creatures)
Create Food & Water (better quality and quantity)
Nondetection (longer duration, affects additional people)
Sending (larger messages, improved range)
Speak with Dead (more questions, more accurate answers)

Thats 1st-3rd level spells, but you get the idea. The best ones would be limited to perform one specific function to keep costs down, but provide a solid benefit (for example a circle to enhance the sending spell to allow more words over planar borders would be fantastic if costly).

SharkForce
2017-08-08, 03:16 PM
i would say most rituals could benefit from reduced ritual casting time.

SpamCreateWater
2017-08-08, 06:40 PM
Hmm, lets see. Good spells that could theoretically get augmented by some sort of permanent circle:

Comprehend languages/Tongues (longer duration, affects additional people)
Detect X (greater range, more accurate information)
Locate X (greater range, more accurate information)
Sanctuary (longer duration, affects additional people)
Unseen Servant (longer duration, can do more things)
Arcane Lock/Guards and Wards (bigger area, tougher to disable)
Augury (broader scope, more accurate)
Calm Emotions (longer duration, affects additional people)
Gentle Repose (longer duration)
Skywrite (longer duration, more writing/images)
Aura of Vitality (longer duration, affects additional people)
Heroes Feast / Beacon of Hope (longer duration, affects additional people)
Conjure/Summon X (longer duration, tougher creatures)
Create Food & Water (better quality and quantity)
Nondetection (longer duration, affects additional people)
Sending (larger messages, improved range)
Speak with Dead (more questions, more accurate answers)

Thats 1st-3rd level spells, but you get the idea. The best ones would be limited to perform one specific function to keep costs down, but provide a solid benefit (for example a circle to enhance the sending spell to allow more words over planar borders would be fantastic if costly).

Thanks. At this stage I haven't sat down at looked at each individual spell and written out what I thought should happen - but I can agree with everything you've got there. Now I just need to figure out appropriate costing for them :smallsigh:

i would say most rituals could benefit from reduced ritual casting time.

Spells that have a naturally longer cast time than 1 Action will, more often than not, end up with a reduced casting time. But I don't believe I will reduce ritual casting times.

Sigreid
2017-08-08, 06:53 PM
I think an obvious one would be Magic Circle permanently inlaid marble with silver boarders, costing say 10,000 for the proper workmanship and purity of resources to cast magic circle in one action with no additional resources expended. Separate circles to keep things out or in.

SpamCreateWater
2017-08-09, 10:27 PM
I think an obvious one would be Magic Circle permanently inlaid marble with silver boarders, costing say 10,000 for the proper workmanship and purity of resources to cast magic circle in one action with no additional resources expended. Separate circles to keep things out or in.

When you say no additional resources expended, do you mean that someone with not a drop of magical ability could activate the circle? And change whether it keeps things out or in on command?

Sigreid
2017-08-09, 10:37 PM
When you say no additional resources expended, do you mean that someone with not a drop of magical ability could activate the circle? And change whether it keeps things out or in on command?

No. I simply mean that it doesn't have to be re-drawn. Essentially it counts as the material components. Still gotta know the spell and spend the slot to activate it.

ZorroGames
2017-08-10, 06:50 PM
No. I simply mean that it doesn't have to be re-drawn. Essentially it counts as the material components. Still gotta know the spell and spend the slot to activate it.

I like it but should be limited to major cities or recluse oriented groups.

Armored Walrus
2017-08-10, 07:02 PM
What are your thoughts on how much something like this would cost?
What about limitations on spells that are able to be used this way?
And limitations on spells that are allowed to be used? A Detect Thoughts room would be an excellent defensive measure if it was across a keep instead of limited to 30ft. In that case, however, I would consider limitations on being able to delve into someone's mind for deeper thoughts.

As for costs, Teleportation Circle or Hallow can give us some guidance.

Hallow is 5th level, blocks certain creatures from entering and breaks most effects that such creatures might have upon a target if that target enters the area, in addition grants a second effect in the area, such as darkness, daylight, immunity to fear, etc. Takes 24 hours to cast. Is permanent (until dispelled) and costs 1,000 gp.

Teleportation is also 5th level, allows flawless teleportation to the area, takes 1 minute per day for one year to cast, costs 18,250 gp (if your world's years are the same length as earth years).

Ok, yeah, that doesn't give us much guidance does it? That's a pretty big difference in terms of time/gold sinks.

Sigreid
2017-08-10, 07:11 PM
I like it but should be limited to major cities or recluse oriented groups.

Eh, if the party wizard wants to set this up in his stronghold that's fine with me. It's not like he gets to take his toy adventuring.

ZorroGames
2017-08-10, 08:02 PM
Eh, if the party wizard wants to set this up in his stronghold that's fine with me. It's not like he gets to take his toy adventuring.

"Your own private circle" works for me too, I was thinking "public accessible for a price" scenarios.