PDA

View Full Version : Optimising a Zealot Barbarian

Tsubodai
2017-08-08, 03:09 AM
I have decided to use a barbarian as my character for a new campaign, specifically the Path of the Zealot (from UA).

I am planning to optimise him, as everyone in my group optimises.
The campaign is starting at 5th level, and we plan to hit 20th (a fairly realistic goal as we have done it before).

I think that a good role for him would be as the primary tank, as the other players have decided on being a valour bard, a sorcerer, and a ranger.

I was looking for some help with said optimisation, as I am not that experienced at optimising barbarians.
I can have races, feats or anything else from any WoTC material, so Volo's, SCAG and UA are all fine.

Currently I am thinking of a Half-Orc race wise, as Relentless Endurance would work well with the tank concept. I got very high rolls for stats so they aren't an issue for the build; 10, 14, 11, 15, 17, 16

The Zealot ability at 14th level seems very strong, so I was wondering whether it was wise, or feasible, to build around that for some extent?

Hrugner
2017-08-08, 03:57 AM
I'm not sure about optimizing for zealot, but a few notes on the archetype. The aura doesn't discriminate between friend and foe. The free resurrection only works for spells that do nothing other than bring you back to life, which is pretty much just revivify. And choose radiant damage as it's resisted by much fewer creatures.

Ugganaut
2017-08-08, 05:08 AM
I have decided to use a barbarian as my character for a new campaign, specifically the Path of the Zealot (from UA).

I am planning to optimise him, as everyone in my group optimises.
The campaign is starting at 5th level, and we plan to hit 20th (a fairly realistic goal as we have done it before).

I think that a good role for him would be as the primary tank, as the other players have decided on being a valour bard, a sorcerer, and a ranger.

I was looking for some help with said optimisation, as I am not that experienced at optimising barbarians.
I can have races, feats or anything else from any WoTC material, so Volo's, SCAG and UA are all fine.

Currently I am thinking of a Half-Orc race wise, as Relentless Endurance would work well with the tank concept. I got very high rolls for stats so they aren't an issue for the build; 10, 14, 11, 15, 17, 16

The Zealot ability at 14th level seems very strong, so I was wondering whether it was wise, or feasible, to build around that for some extent?

Doubt it's optimal, but I like Mountain Dwarf for my barbarian, Clangeddin for god(battle).
Str: 17+2 Con: 16+2 Dex:14 Int:11 Wis:15 Cha: 10
Feats: Fell-Handed(awesome with Reckless Attack), Brawny or Athlete, Great Weapon Master, Resilient(Wis), Con +2.
If you wanted to multiclass at any stage, I'd go Cleric(War domain) 3 for the bonus action attacks for when GWM doesn't trigger, and Spiritual Weapon which I'm pretty sure you can cast before raging and still use(no concentration). Between them, you should have a regular bonus action attack of some sort.

Edit: And grab some Adamantine Half-Plate for good measure :)

suplee215
2017-08-08, 05:09 AM
i say half orc as that race is just barbarian light and can give you 19/17/16 stats.

Tsubodai
2017-08-08, 06:18 AM
I'm not sure about optimizing for zealot, but a few notes on the archetype. The aura doesn't discriminate between friend and foe. The free resurrection only works for spells that do nothing other than bring you back to life, which is pretty much just revivify. And choose radiant damage as it's resisted by much fewer creatures.

As the only other character who will spend much time in melee will be the bard, the aura will be less of an issue. We're also use a battle map and are decent at positioning, so it is unlikely that the bard will be in a position to be damaged by my aura.

I was also thinking that radiant would be better, so I will probably go for that.