PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven take-away

Mad Humanist
2017-08-08, 05:01 AM
So I think I may have just worked out why there are no Dwarven take-aways in my town. Indian, Chinese, Thai, Fish'n'chips but no take away. Human and Dwarven constitutions are so different that they get food poisoning from each others food. If some Dwarves set up a take-away in your town, would you get some after a nigh down the pub?

goto124
2017-08-08, 05:16 AM
I would eat at a dwarven resturant, but only if it had credentials saying it's suitable for human consumption.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't eat at a human resturant unless it had those credentials too...

Storm_Of_Snow
2017-08-08, 06:24 AM
I thought a Dwarven Takeaway was just another name for an off-licence. :smallamused:

Mad Humanist
2017-08-08, 06:28 AM
I thought a Dwarven Takeaway was just another name for an off-licence. :smallamused:

Can you get "two servings of the mushy stuff with butter" at an off-license. Can you get "deep-fried fungus" at an off-license?

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-08, 07:31 AM
Fried breaded mushrooms = deep fried fungus = great snack.
Mushy stuff with butter = mashed potatoes with butter = yummy (make sure not to skimp on the garlic)
or
Mushy stuff with butter = hot grits with butter = yummy (don't skimp on the fresh ground pepper and a bit of sea salt)

I could go on, but I suddenly came over all puckish. Esurient. All hungry like.

goto124
2017-08-08, 07:37 AM

"Puckish" means "playful & mischievous". I think you mean "peckish"

littlebum2002
2017-08-08, 11:14 AM
Gimlet's Hole, the Dwarven restaurant in Ankh-Morpork, serves the following delicacies:

Dwarf Bread (a food so bad it sustains you just by the thought of never having to eat it)
Fried rat (best in the city)
Soya rat (vegetarian)
Pizza "Quatre rodenti" (with newts and chillies)
Pizza "Klatchian Hots" (with salami)

I think i'll pass.

Castamir
2017-08-08, 12:59 PM
"Puckish" means "playful & mischievous". I think you mean "peckish"
Who said Robin Goodfellow didn't like good food?

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-08-08, 01:02 PM
Gimlet's Hole, the Dwarven restaurant in Ankh-Morpork, serves the following delicacies:

Dwarf Bread (a food so bad it sustains you just by the thought of never having to eat it)
Fried rat (best in the city)
Soya rat (vegetarian)
Pizza "Quatre rodenti" (with newts and chillies)
Pizza "Klatchian Hots" (with salami)

All hygienically prepared: the chef always washes his hands after preparing rat (you wouldn't want a chef running around with hands smelling of rat, would you?).

Also, free beer. Just sit behind a dwarf that is quaffing.

GW

Ruck
2017-08-08, 02:12 PM
So I think I may have just worked out why there are no Dwarven take-aways in my town. Indian, Chinese, Thai, Fish'n'chips but no take away. Human and Dwarven constitutions are so different that they get food poisoning from each others food. If some Dwarves set up a take-away in your town, would you get some after a nigh down the pub?

I'm quite curious to try Dwarven beer, if it's as much more "real" than Human beer as Durkon seems to believe.

Kantaki
2017-08-08, 02:26 PM
I'm quite curious to try Dwarven beer, if it's as much more "real" than Human beer as Durkon seems to believe.

The traditional dwarven brewed beer would be a Pilz, wouldn't it?
I think I'll pass...
Ouch. That pun hurts. Thankfully not mine.

littlebum2002
2017-08-08, 02:49 PM
The traditional dwarven brewed beer would be a Pilz, wouldn't it?
I think I'll pass...
Ouch. That pun hurts. Thankfully not mine.

What pun? Must have gone over my head.

Also, I got the impression that Dwarven Beer was something stronger than any human beer, which wouldn't be a Pilz. I was thinking something more like a Tripel.

Although, regardless of style, if it's so good that it makes the best human beer taste like urine by comparison, then I'd drink it. Although, it might end up where dwarven beer tastes like urine o humans...

Talyn
2017-08-08, 03:17 PM
... Esurient...

It's not often I come across a word I need to look up. That's a great one, I'll have to find a way to work it into a conversation.

Kantaki
2017-08-08, 03:58 PM
What pun? Must have gone over my head.

Also, I got the impression that Dwarven Beer was something stronger than any human beer, which wouldn't be a Pilz. I was thinking something more like a Tripel.

Although, regardless of style, if it's so good that it makes the best human beer taste like urine by comparison, then I'd drink it. Although, it might end up where dwarven beer tastes like urine o humans...

Ah sorry, it's kinda based in german.
The type of beer is called Pils.
And Pilz is german for mushroom.
Implying that dwarves drink beer made from mushrooms.
Because the live underground. Yoho-ho-hoho
(Considering their poison resistance that might even make sense. Could also explain why Durkon doesn't like the human version.)

Quebbster
2017-08-08, 04:12 PM
(Considering their poison resistance that might even make sense. Could also explain why Durkon doesn't like the human version.)

Oh, German. I thought there was something wrong with you.

Kantaki
2017-08-08, 04:17 PM
Oh, German. I thought there was something wrong with you.

I am and there is, but the two are unrelated.:smalltongue:

Peelee
2017-08-08, 05:29 PM
Today I learned that some people (I'm assuming either British or Australian) call takeout take-away. Still confused as to what an off-license is, though. Off-brand, maybe?

littlebum2002
2017-08-08, 05:46 PM

I learned a German pun! I'm definitely going to ask my friend who knows German if pilsners are made from mushrooms.

Today I learned that some people (I'm assuming either British or Australian) call takeout take-away. Still confused as to what an off-license is, though. Off-brand, maybe?

I kinda figured it was one of those on-street vendors who sell the extremely sketchy food out of carts.

Peelee
2017-08-08, 06:12 PM
I kinda figured it was one of those on-street vendors who sell the extremely sketchy food out of carts.

Oh. That kinda makes sense. I never thought to call them anything other than street vendors or food carts.

Mad Humanist
2017-08-08, 07:10 PM

Shock horror news. Order of the Stick has British readers!

An off-license is a place where you can buy alcohol to take home. This is in contrast to a pub, to where you can escape from home to buy alcohol.

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-08-08, 08:14 PM
An off-license is a place where you can buy alcohol to take home. This is in contrast to a pub, to where you can escape from home to buy alcohol.

And it's called off-license because it has a license that allows you to take the alcohol off the premises (in a pub, all alcohol must be consumed in-site).

GW

Peelee
2017-08-08, 09:28 PM
That's makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

Quebbster
2017-08-09, 04:50 AM
Most dwarves would probably approve of this discussion of ways to get drunk in foreign lands.

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-09, 05:25 AM
"Puckish" means "playful & mischievous". I think you mean "peckish" I did indeed, how did I mess that up? E is left hand, upper row, middle finger, and U is right hand, upper row, index finger. Possible short circuit of the neural network. Obviously, I need more garlic mashed potatoes. (That's 'cos I like taters, Precious). :smallwink:

Jaxzan Proditor
2017-08-09, 07:24 AM

A little fermented curd will do the trick.

Peelee
2017-08-09, 07:51 AM
I did indeed, how did I mess that up? E is left hand, upper row, middle finger, and U is right hand, upper row, index finger. Possible short circuit of the neural network. Obviously, I need more garlic mashed potatoes. (That's 'cos I like taters, Precious). :smallwink:

Eh, you were probably feeling puckish when you made that typo.

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-09, 09:13 AM
A little fermented curd will do the trick. Venezuelan Beaver Cheese; we looked high and low in Chicago one summer for VBC, only to find that nobody carried it. (While we were pretty sure that it was mythical, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction). We settled for some runny Camembert, before the cat got to it.

littlebum2002
2017-08-09, 09:20 AM
Shock horror news. Order of the Stick has British readers!

And it's called off-license because it has a license that allows you to take the alcohol off the premises (in a pub, all alcohol must be consumed in-site).

GW

Wow, I wasn't even close. We call it a "liquor store". That's because it's a store where you can buy liquor :smallbiggrin:

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-08-09, 09:28 AM
Wow, I wasn't even close. We call it a "liquor store". That's because it's a store where you can buy liquor :smallbiggrin:

You can buy liquor at a pub, though. The question remains, then, of whether you are allowed to take it home with you in its original container, or you need to first imbibe it. See? US terminology is lacking. British is so much better.

(:smalltongue:)

GW

Peelee
2017-08-09, 09:30 AM

Well, the drive-through versions do have some fun nicknames. Beer barn and brew thru being my favorites.

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-08-09, 09:39 AM
Well, the drive-through versions do have some fun nicknames. Beer barn and brew thru being my favorites.

Wait wait wait. The US has drive-through alcohol stores?

GW

Peelee
2017-08-09, 09:52 AM

GW

If you think about it, it makes more sense than driving to a bar and getting drunk. You're (presumably) sober, getting your liquor, and then going (presumably) home.

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-08-09, 09:56 AM
If you think about it, it makes more sense than driving to a bar and getting drunk. You're (presumably) sober, getting your liquor, and then going (presumably) home.

Sure, but less sense than forcing the person to park, and therefore giving them the chance to store the alcohol in the boot. Handing over alcohol to the driver of a vehicle in a drive-through is just asking for the guy/gal to open it immediately. And even those who resist the temptation will be driving with alcohol within hands reach by definition, which has terrible optics for everyone else in the road.

GW

Peelee
2017-08-09, 10:07 AM
Sure, but less sense than forcing the person to park, and therefore giving them the chance to store the alcohol in the boot. Handing over alcohol to the driver of a vehicle in a drive-through is just asking for the guy/gal to open it immediately. And even those who resist the temptation will be driving with alcohol within hands reach by definition, which has terrible optics for everyone else in the road.

GW

Open container laws. If there's an open alcoholic beverage anywhere in the car, even if the driver stone-cold sober and it's a passenger in the back drinking, both driver and passengers get ticketed. Second instance gets licenses suspended.

And if a driver were to crack one open himself, I don't think that having to get out of the car would be all that big a deterrent.

ETA: In Alabama, at least.

And as far as "in arm's reach" goes.... have you seen American cars?

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-08-09, 10:20 AM
Open container laws.
Yes, I know. That's the optics I was talking about. A police officer can't possibly "see" if an alcoholic container is open inside a moving vehicle - just that is is an alcoholic container. Heck, as a driver, I worry every time I see anyone drinking from any container while driving, even if on second look it turned out to be coffee, because I don't have time for a second look.

And if a driver were to crack one open himself, I don't think that having to get out of the car would be all that big a deterrent.
You'd be surprised. Like with other human impulses, convenience is a massive weight in the decision making process. The temptation to open a, say, beer that is sitting on the seat next to you is a lot higher than parking the car to go get one from the back.

And as far as "in arm's reach" goes.... have you seen American cars?

I have, but if you are in the driver's seat, and someone hands you a bunch of stuff through the window, you probably put them down within arms reach, because its not like you are in a position to do otherwise. The size of the car is not the factor, as much as the limited mobility of the driver.

Grey Wolf

littlebum2002
2017-08-09, 10:24 AM
You can buy liquor at a pub, though. The question remains, then, of whether you are allowed to take it home with you in its original container, or you need to first imbibe it. See? US terminology is lacking. British is so much better.

(:smalltongue:)

GW

It's not a bad word, I'll grant you that. But I think the term "store" in American English usually means "place where you buy things then leave". Grocery Store, Liquor Store, etc. I can't think of any "stores" that involve consuming your purchase on premises.

GW

New Orleans (my hometown) has drive thru daiquiri shops. You drive up and they hand you a frozen daiquiri. They're not allowed to put the straw in it, though, since that would make it an open container. So literally they give you all the ingredient necessary to drink and drive, you just need to put the straw in the cup yourself.

(Also, on a side note, dedicated liquor stores or off-licenses are rare in New Orleans. Every gas station and grocery store can sell you liquor to take home)

Ruck
2017-08-09, 02:53 PM

And "presumably" not immediately opening the bottle when it's handed to you, but I mean, it's right there.

New Orleans (my hometown) has drive thru daiquiri shops. You drive up and they hand you a frozen daiquiri. They're not allowed to put the straw in it, though, since that would make it an open container. So literally they give you all the ingredient necessary to drink and drive, you just need to put the straw in the cup yourself.

(Also, on a side note, dedicated liquor stores or off-licenses are rare in New Orleans. Every gas station and grocery store can sell you liquor to take home)

As a fellow Louisiana native, I miss* the old open container law, where the only law was that you had to have one fewer open container in the car than people in it. (Hey, it's fine if everyone but the driver is drinking.)

(* - by "miss" I mostly mean "for its sheer audacity")

Peelee
2017-08-09, 04:25 PM
And "presumably" not immediately opening the bottle when it's handed to you, but I mean, it's right there.

Lotta dry counties around here. At the very least, the liquor stores don't wanna encourage this kind of behavior, because they (presumably) like existing. Crack it open right there, you're gonna have the cops on you quicker than you can say "dumbass."

jayem
2017-08-11, 05:36 PM
Also the same shops often cater for other vices Cigerettes (hence aka tobacconist) and Newpapers (hence aka newsagents). Because of this they could be open for longer, which might be why the name stuck.
And also standard essentials (which aren't advertised, hence aka grocer's) and sweets.
They are often on the corner, in which case aka Corner shop

In terms of USlish
I guess a minimart?
Apu's shop in the Simpsons would be typical in style though a bit big (and for that matter similar in history to a high minority, and you could probably transfer stereotypes).
As well as the General store.

Peelee
2017-08-11, 05:49 PM
Also the same shops often cater for other vices Cigerettes (hence aka tobacconist) and Newpapers (hence aka newsagents). Because of this they could be open for longer, which might be why the name stuck.
And also standard essentials (which aren't advertised, hence aka grocer's) and sweets.

In terms of USlish
I guess a minimart?
Apu's shop in the Simpsons would be typical in style though a bit big (and for that matter similar in history to a high minority, and you could probably transfer stereotypes).

Oooooohhhhhhh. It's a Convenience Store. A gas station without the gas.

jayem
2017-08-11, 06:14 PM
Yes.
Although for the name (technically at least) the only important thing is that it is Licenced to sell Alcohol for Off premises consumption [as already noted]. So
it could include a pure 'Liquor store'. And that (original) meaning matches the initial joke better.

But because of the overlap in a convenience store, don't be surprised if object and shop-name don't match.

Jaxzan Proditor
2017-08-11, 06:26 PM
Oooooohhhhhhh. It's a Convenience Store. A gas station without the gas.

Package store might also be a good way to refer to it. Or a Packie, as we say ovah heyah in Skyron.

Peelee
2017-08-11, 07:10 PM
Package store might also be a good way to refer to it. Or a Packie, as we say ovah heyah in Skyron.

Package stores only do liquor, though?

Jaxzan Proditor
2017-08-11, 07:24 PM
Package stores only do liquor, though?

I have heard it used both ways, but upon some advanced googling, that does seem to be correct.

Peelee
2017-08-11, 08:42 PM
I have heard it used both ways, but upon some advanced googling, that does seem to be correct.

Yeah that's right. If you come to this galaxy, speak the language! High Galactic, obviously.

Sinewmire
2017-08-14, 10:08 AM

Liquor isn't a word we use a lot here, actually... I wonder why?

The only times I can remember hearing it, actually were to make the traditional filty advertisement for a tavern's attractions and their locations.

alwaysbebatman
2017-08-14, 10:37 AM
This may only be a Minnesota thing, but we have places called "On/Off Sale". Establishments that double as both a bar and liquor store, for flyspeck towns that couldn't support one of each...

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-14, 12:26 PM

GW Yeah. First discovered one in Texas in 1986 when a friend and I went to get a case of beer. It's still in business at the same location. They also sell ice by the boat load, and dry ice. The latter is key to keeping a cooler full of ice cream cold when your kids are in little league and it's your week for snacks.
PS: wine and whiskey not sold at that drive through, originally, though I think wine is now OK.

Mostly beer, and unopened.

New Orleans (my hometown) has drive thru daiquiri shops. You drive up and they hand you a frozen daiquiri. They're not allowed to put the straw in it, though, since that would make it an open container. So literally they give you all the ingredient necessary to drink and drive, you just need to put the straw in the cup yourself. Whoa, that's a step farther than I'd care for them to take here in Texas.

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-08-14, 12:37 PM
Whoa, that's a step farther than I'd care for them to take here in Texas.

Reminds me of a Prohibition era story, which I used to think it must have been an urban legend, but it seems was absolutely true (https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/how-wine-bricks-saved-the-u-s-wine-industry-during-prohibition/): that some vineyards, faced with their only product having been outlawed, instead sold "grape juice concentrate" with a note explaining how to dissolve the concentrate in a gallon of water. Then right below it, the note would continue with a warning instructing you not to leave that jug in the cool cupboard for 21 days, or it would turn into wine.

GW

2D8HP
2017-08-15, 02:49 PM
Esurient

Esurient?

New word for me.

Thanks!

https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Oona_zpstooqci2y.png "Yes! Good. Learning is happening."

DeliaP
2017-08-16, 05:48 AM

In terms of USlish
I guess a minimart?

I tend to use off-license for the shops which only sell booze. Technically my local corner shop is an off-licence, and for a long time now most supermarkets in the UK are also off-licences, but I wouldn't normally call them that.

Fun fact: in Australia they are bottle-shops, because, y'know, they're shops, and most alcohol is sold in bottles.

As opposed to being shops which sell bottles.

And despite that a lot of the alcohol is actually sold in tinnies (aka beercans).

Peelee
2017-08-16, 06:31 AM
And despite that a lot of the alcohol is actually sold in tinnies (aka beercans).

Australia and Canada need to get together, solely so someone can buy a tinnie with a toonie.

Ruck
2017-08-17, 12:45 AM
Yeah. First discovered one in Texas in 1986 when a friend and I went to get a case of beer. It's still in business at the same location. They also sell ice by the boat load, and dry ice. The latter is key to keeping a cooler full of ice cream cold when your kids are in little league and it's your week for snacks.
PS: wine and whiskey not sold at that drive through, originally, though I think wine is now OK.

Mostly beer, and unopened.

Whoa, that's a step farther than I'd care for them to take here in Texas.
I stopped at a drive-thru liquor store in Texas in 2013 that did sell whiskey. I think stores being allowed to do so is a relatively recent thing, but I don't know.

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-17, 07:47 AM
I stopped at a drive-thru liquor store in Texas in 2013 that did sell whiskey. I think stores being allowed to do so is a relatively recent thing, but I don't know. I wonder if that's a "county by county" thing. (I go to Spec's these days, walk in store, since they have the best prices and the best wine selection.)

Psyren
2017-08-17, 10:55 AM

GW

For the record, alcohol laws vary significantly by state and even county. It's one of the most idiosyncratic aspects to living here. In some (appropriately called "dry counties") you can't purchase alcohol of any kind. In others, spirits are not purchasable outside of bars and similar establishments. In others, you can get spirits in any corner store or even pharmacy. It's all over the place.

There are only a few laws that apply uniformly across the map, like the 21 thing and the 0.08 BAC minimum.

Ruck
2017-08-17, 01:15 PM
I wonder if that's a "county by county" thing. (I go to Spec's these days, walk in store, since they have the best prices and the best wine selection.)

Yeah, I don't remember what county this was in; Washington County might be my best guess? It was on Highway 290 from Houston to Austin, after the turn.

I am indeed very familiar with Spec's.

For the record, alcohol laws vary significantly by state and even county. It's one of the most idiosyncratic aspects to living here. In some (appropriately called "dry counties") you can't purchase alcohol of any kind. In others, spirits are not purchasable outside of bars and similar establishments. In others, you can get spirits in any corner store or even pharmacy. It's all over the place.

There are only a few laws that apply uniformly across the map, like the 21 thing and the 0.08 BAC minimum.

And even those latter points weren't always universal-- it essentially took threats of taking away federal funding to get some states on board. (You could buy alcohol in Louisiana at 18 up until 1995.)

Peelee
2017-08-17, 06:45 PM

Don't forget blue laws! Where i live, you can buy alcohol in any store that decides to sell alcohol. Except on Sunday. Then it just sucks to be you.