PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other No words, just broken unicorn PCs

Aniikinis
2017-08-08, 08:51 AM
UNICORN SCION
Unicorn Scion Clerk (1st level commoner)
Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 1d6 +3 (6 HP)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 feet
Armor Class: 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-1
Attack: Gore -1 or Light Crossbow +0
Full Attack: Gore -1 or Light Crossbow +0
Damage: Gore 1d4 (See text.), Light Crossbow 1d6
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Arcane Lineage, Strange Horn
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +0, Will +1
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 10, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: Profession (Clerk) +4, Knowledge (Local) +5
Feats: Toughness, Alertness
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, group (4-10), or settlement (40-100)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: normal
Alignment: Usually Neutral
Level Adjustment: +0
Advancement: By character class

The woman before you yawns boredly, flipping through the book in front of her, idly tapping the point of the purple, pink, and black horn on her head, and looking at the clock on the wall to check the time left before she clocks out. She notices you and saves her place before closing the book and asking, "what are your names and who are you here to see?"

Unicorn Scions resemble and act much like humans, except for the small horn growing from their forehead just below their hairline. Most of the time they blunt and colour the horn, rendering it useless to be used as a weapon. Unicorn Scions are found wherever humans are found.

Unicorn Scions speak Common and Draconic

Unicorn Scion
Unicorn Scion characters possess the following racial traits.

-2 Str and +2 Int (+2 App)
Medium Humanoid
Speed: 30 feet
Special Qualities: Arcane Lineage, strange horn
Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic, and Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Any, including secret languages.
Favored Class: Any
Level adjustment: +0

Arcane Lineage (Su): Arcane spells cast by unicorm scions can be cast at up to twice their caster level, however when they use this ability roll 1d%. Add 5 to the result for each extra level added to the spell when it is being cast. If the result is 33 or less, the spell is cast as normal. If the result is 34 - 66, the spell is cast as normal but a copy of the spell as it is cast is immediately cast upon the unicorn scion. If the result is 67 or above, the spell fizzles and the unicorn scion takes 1d6 untyped damage equal to double their caster level.

Bonus Feat: Unicorn scions have 1 extra feat at 1st level due to their human lineage.

Strange Horn: Unicorn scions have a small white horn growing from their forehead near their hairline. This horn gives them a natural gore attack that deals 1d4 piercing damage, but since their skulls are human and not meant for that kind of focused pressure, the take damage equal to twice the damage inflicted when they use it. Also, while a unicorn scion does have a unicorn lineage its' horn does not have the same properties and is infact totally useless in the creation of magic items, most unicorn scions opt to grind it down, blunt it, and colour it in order to not be able to use their gore attack as well as make it invaluable to people who would wish to take it and make a bit of a fashion statement as well.

Can I say I was bored and wanted a high risk/high reward caster base while an MLP video popped up on youtube?

rferries
2017-08-08, 02:01 PM
What an interesting idea! On average the arcane lineage is useful when casting buff spells (or attack spells that you've warded yourself against), but even so I think most players wouldn't risk using it.

The base race is technically balanced at LA+0 but I see it as being the new Wizard race - +2 Int, -2 to a dump stat, PLUS a bonus feat means every wizard everywhere will be taking it.

I really like the little details you add to these races - sky-borne humans have feathers the same colour as their hair, unicorn scions grind down their horns for self-preservation and for fashion... makes them all feel more "real".

Aniikinis
2017-08-09, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I was basing this one mainly off of a character concept I had a while back: Human wizard with a unicorn companion that, after a few levels, ended up with them getting combined. Then I started to think about how innate magical potential like that would affect a spell as well as such focused trauma on a part of the skull that, on most people, is still fairly weak from the combining of the cranial bones near there. I ended up with this as a random MLP vid popped up on the screen and I saw a blunt horn. Honestly I wouldn't want to feel a large calcium-based deposit crashing into my skull every time I slammed my face into a door, would you?

I really like the little details you add to these races - sky-borne humans have feathers the same colour as their hair, unicorn scions grind down their horns for self-preservation and for fashion... makes them all feel more "real".
And, yes, a good take on them afterwards was "how would these look if I ran into one in town or while waiting at the doctor's office?" which is how I generally would imagine the appearance of the races I create. Except for ones that are just strange or I'm working off of a picture, that is.