PDA

View Full Version : Ansalonian Adventures IC II

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Gorgon_Heap
2017-08-08, 10:27 AM
We return to our regularly scheduled dungeon delve ...

Jason is finding all the tunnels down here to be a tight fit, but at least they are tall enough to accommodate him. The subtle noises grow as he steps into the chamber, and though the back of the room is beyond his sight, the lumps of moldy filth all over the floor are not. As he squints into the smelly dimness, torchlight reflects off something small and shiny, and moving. A critter moves into view - about two feet long, the only way to describe it is a giant centipede. Footlong feelers waggle in the air before it, picking up your scent or body heat or something. It's creepily large mandibles click hungrily, and you definitely hear others in the darkness...

http://i63.tinypic.com/5mg6ra.jpg

Round one

Initiative order:

Sorawyl
Jason
Centipedes
Darrik
Tarina

And Sora and Tarina went and interposed after I finished updating my map and while posting. So I'll fix it next round.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-08-08, 11:29 AM
"Monsters!" Disgusting ones, too. It's difficult to get a clear shot from here, but I'm not exactly eager to get closer. "Be careful, they might be venomous."

I'll stay where I am (I assume E13) and shoot a Firebolt at the centipede in D7. I assume it'll benefit from cover, but that's ok.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] fire.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-08-08, 12:13 PM
R1

Sorawyl reaches out - her arm over Darrik and Devil's heads and her fingers motioning under Jason't armpit - and a flash of fire blazed out and unerringly struck the centipede, bursting its exoskeleton with a pronounced blumpf.

Instantly, however, two more seem to have caught on that food is nearby and run at a surprised Jason, sinking its fangs into his boot.

http://i64.tinypic.com/r0zi88.jpg

Jason takes 3 damage. Please make a Con check DC 11 or roll 3d6 poison damage after your action.

Initiative
Sorawyl
Jason
Centipedes
Darrik
Tarina

JadedDM
2017-08-09, 09:03 PM
Jason cries out in pain and surprise as the oversized insect bites his foot. He quickly counterattacks with his blade, swinging at the centipede that just bit him. "Watch out, we got giant bugs in here!" he calls to the others.

Attack with long sword (1d20+5): [roll0]
Damage, if it hits (1d8+3): [roll1]
CON save [DC 11] (1d20+4): [roll2]
Poison damage, if failed (3d6): [roll3]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-08-10, 03:01 PM
Surprised, Jason swings just a little too quickly, his feet out of position. His sword clinks off dirt and rock, but as he adjusts his footing the centipede's fangs are jerked free before it's poison enters his bloodstream.

Fishybugs
2017-08-10, 03:33 PM
Tarina moves around to the other side of Sorawyl, readying her crossbow as she walks. Once she get sight on the closest of the creatures, she lets fly. Once the shot is fired, she clutches her holy symbol. "Mishakal, once again, we come up against creatures who wish to end us. Please help us against them so we may find the missing man we seek." A spiritual staff appears next to the furthest creature (D9) and swings.

Attack roll: [roll0] for [roll1] damage.
Cast Spiritual Weapon as bonus action: Attack: [roll2] for [roll3] damage

Majin
2017-08-10, 03:48 PM
Darrik winces as the centipede bites Jason's legs. "Ouch. Better watch your legs!"

He then quickly nocks an arrow, and lets it loose, taking care not to hit Jason in front of him.

"Devil! Help Jason", Darrik says, and motions the wolf to move towards the creatures.

Attack whichever centipede is closer with shortbow.

Damage: [roll1]

Devil will move to E11. If he can, he'll attack one of the beasts. Failing that, he'll use Help action to assist Jason.

Bite: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-08-10, 06:50 PM
R2

Tarina manages to somehow see through the crowd and get a shot off, almost impossibly shooting between all the people and the narrow passage - but the bolt shatters on the floor, merely taking some centipede legs with it. Darrik and Devil are having too hard a time with Jason in front of the targets.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2duw58w.jpg

Initiative
Jason
Sorawyl
Centipedes
Darrik/Devil
Tarina

Fishybugs
2017-08-10, 10:08 PM
Tarina concentrates a moment and swings the mystical staff at the centipede again.

Attack: [roll0] for [roll1]

Ninja_Prawn
2017-08-12, 04:21 PM
Sorawyl Kassonor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=691366), Half-Elf Diviner.
HP 11/11 | AC 9 | Concentrating on: -

Well that went better than I had expected. I wonder if I can thread another shot through the crowd...? "Darrik, Jason, please hold still a moment - I am going to try that again."

After I've cast my spell, I slip away and peek around the corner, in case anything is trying to sneak up behind us.

Another Firebolt at one of the centipedes in D10.

Damage: [roll1] fire.

Then move to H13 and look around the corner to lift some of the fog-of-war.

Majin
2017-08-14, 01:42 PM
Darrik makes a "Whoop!" sound as the bolt of fire passes over his head. It would have been easier to shoot if he himself was taller. Then again, this cave's ceiling was pretty low, so he would probably just be hitting his head on it all the time, so it all evens out.

Darrik draws the bow again, and sends another arrow at the centipedes.

Attack the same centipede as Sorawyl, unless it already died.

Bite: [roll2]

If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

JadedDM
2017-08-14, 01:52 PM
Jason takes another swing at the nearest creature.

Attack with long sword [roll0]
Damage, if it hits [roll1]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-08-15, 03:41 PM
Your attacks continue against the centipedes, and the strange magical hammer floating before Jason, Sorawyl's fiery magic and the snapping jaws of the wolf destroy them utterly. Sora strays across the hall and peers into the next cave with her elvish eyes, but sees nothing of interest, though a rustling sound makes her skin crawl. Until the torchlight behind her moves and there on the ceiling are glittering hundreds of hungry eyes. She gasps, and the bats take it as a cue to attack, sweeping all at once against the first person whose blood they've smelled in so very long ...

Round 4 - Everyone hears Sorawyl's gasp, and I will allow you to retain the current order, with the swarm of bats taking the centipedes' place.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-08-15, 05:20 PM
Sorawyl Kassonor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=691366), Half-Elf Diviner.

"Eeeek!!"

Without thinking, I cover my eyes and hurl a blast of wind at the bats before scurrying back up the tunnel towards where we came in.

I'm casting Gust to hopefully push the bats away from me (DC 13 Strength save or be pushed 5 ft. back).

Then move to C14.

If I get attacked, I'll use a reaction to cast Shield.

Fishybugs
2017-08-16, 04:50 PM
Tarina Davenledge, (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=639580) 3rd level Cleric of Mishakal
HP: 24 AC: 16 Concentrating on: --

Tarina grimaces as she looks at the bats. Bats. Why'd it have to be bats?" She takes careful aim and attempts to shoot one of them. She also concentrates on swinging her spiritual weapon again.

Crossbow attack: [roll0] for [roll1] damage
Spiritual weapon attack: [roll2] for [roll3] damage

"Jason, try and push them back so we can get in the room."

Majin
2017-08-17, 12:55 PM
Darrik Proudfoot (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=640113), HP: 28/28 AC: 15, PPerception: 15

Devil (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1192679), HP: 11/11 AC: 15, PPerception: 13

"Wha-bats? Well, I suppose we're in a cave..."

Darrik moves to a better position and fires an arrow. He also points Devil to attack the bats. Though there were so many little beasts in that swarm, a single arrow wouldn't do much.

Darrik moves to to F13 and attacks the swarm. Also casts Hunter's Mark at the swarm.

Damage: [roll1] + Hunter's Mark: [roll2]

Devil moves to G13 and attacks the swarm.

Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

JadedDM
2017-08-17, 01:28 PM
Holding his shield up to keep them at bay, Jason pushes forward, swinging his sword at the bats.

Attack roll [roll0]
Damage roll [roll1]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-08-18, 10:14 AM
R5

Sora shrieks and backs away, blowing the cloud of bats away from herself. Everybody turns and fires into the flurry of tiny mammals, finding it very hard to actually hit any of them. Devil, however, flops over and snaps repeatedly, tossing several of the things wrecked and squirming onto the cave floor. The bats closest to him flutter into his face, and the whole swarm follows, surrounding him and biting him all over, some latching onto him and gnawing through his furry coat. He yips and yowls in pain.

http://i68.tinypic.com/o69w90.jpg

The bats acre actually in Devil's space - I didn't account for that before getting the image on Tinypic.

Jason did not note any movement, but his attack would have missed anyway.

Initiative
Sorawyl
Jason
Bats
Darrik/Devil
Tarina

Ninja_Prawn
2017-08-19, 05:44 PM

Looks like Darrik's wolf is in trouble... inwardly I hope that they don't look to me to bandage it up after the bats are dealt with. Even in a wounded state, he could probably snap me in two. I decide to use a more powerful spell in the hopes of clearing this up quickly: a few gestures from my wand sends a crackling ball of lightning into the swarm.

Hold position, cast chromatic orb at the bats.

Damage: [roll1] lightning.

JadedDM
2017-08-22, 05:06 PM
Jason moves forward to aid the wolf, slashing his sword overhead at the bats.

Jason moves to G12 and attacks the bats above Devil with his long sword.
Attack roll [roll0]
Damage, if hit [roll1]

Majin
2017-08-23, 02:29 PM
Darrik Proudfoot (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=640113), HP: 28/28 AC: 15, PPerception: 15

Devil (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1192679), HP: 2/11 AC: 15, PPerception: 13

"Devil, you're hurt! Get back!", Darrik yelps and motions Devil to move behind him. As the swarm is now closer, Darrik draws his sword and tries to cut down some of the bats.

Damage: [roll1] + Hunter's Mark [roll2]

Devil disengages and moves to E13

Majin
2017-08-23, 02:32 PM
A nat one, which means I can roll it again.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-08-24, 10:11 AM
R6

A ball of energy plunges into the cloud of hungry bats and bursts like a miniature lightning storm. The moment you each recover from the surprise you renew your attacks on the animals, knocking them from the air. Only a handful are still flapping about, but the malignant hunger seems to have left them and they flit away in all directions. You lose sight of them immediately.

OOC: You are out of immediate danger. Please describe your actions.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-08-24, 11:09 AM
"Lots of critters around, it seems. I doubt we have seen the last of them either... but for now perhaps we should spend a moment to get our bearings? I am going to look around."

I shuffle down the left-hand fork (at least to J13 on the map) and take a proper look around. If it looks like a chamber or dead end, I'll poke my nose into the corners, look behind rocks, check nooks and crannies etc. to see if there's anything interesting. Presumably the floor is covered in guano? If so, I'll also check to see if any land-based creature has left tracks here.

Intelligence (Investigation): [roll0]

Fishybugs
2017-08-24, 01:07 PM
Tarina moves forward and and checks the injuries of her friends, and offers a quick prayer to Mishakal. She glances at the magical weapon floating in midair and smiles, feeling Mishakal is looking out for her even in the depths of the caves. "Is everyone alright? That was...not a lot of fun."

Majin
2017-08-24, 03:29 PM
Darrik pats Devil comfortingly and says a quick prayer to Habbakuk. "Devil took a nasty hit,
but I think he'll be alright."

Darrik glances at the mangled and burned bat corpses. "You know, I've never seen bats acting like that... I hope it's nothing serious..."

Darrik nods at Sorawyl. He and Devil carefully peer at the cave opening where the bats came from.

Cast Cure wounds on Devil. [roll0]

Try to spot if there are other creatures in the cave where the bats came from.

Darrik's perception: [roll1]

Devil sniffs the air: [roll2]
Advantage: [roll3]

JadedDM
2017-08-26, 08:52 PM
"Just...be careful," Jason warns. "No telling what else might be lurking down here, as well." To Tarina, he says, "I took a bite from one of those bugs...but it's nothing serious, I think."

Gorgon_Heap
2017-08-29, 03:29 PM
Sora finds the cave is indeed full of guano. Lots and lots of bat crap. Inches of it, much of it ancient and calcified or crumbled or solidified. There is nothing of interest, and no sign anybody has been here recently. Darrik and Devil (now healed) likewise find nothing, though the wolf is presumably still on the hunt for the dwarf, and indicates interest in continuing deeper into the cave system.

http://i65.tinypic.com/n46yhz.jpg

Does Darrik just say something aloud while thinking to himself or does he or anybody want to roll/discuss the bats' behavior? You guys tend to make observations but not follow through ... I don't know if you are interested in answers of just filling space in your posts.

Fishybugs
2017-08-29, 06:55 PM
Tarina tips her head a little in thought as Darrik expresses his surprise at the bats. "I've never seen them in groups or in caves before. A stray bat flying through the night on occasion, sure. How are they supposed to act?" She joins Sorawyl in the cave and looks around. She touches the walls, looking for any sort of clue. Where there scrapes left behind by the dwarf showing a direction they should go? Were there tracks on the floor? How much dust was in the cave?

Investigation: [roll0]

JadedDM
2017-08-29, 08:06 PM
"At this point, I'm starting to get used to wild animals just attacking me. Maybe I smell tasty or something," Jason jokes, remembering the boar that suddenly attacked him about three months back.

He moves forward to investigate the cavern he's looking into, holding his torch high.

(OOC: Let's say he moves to D7 and looks around.)

Ninja_Prawn
2017-08-30, 05:53 AM
"At this point, I'm starting to get used to wild animals just attacking me. Maybe I smell tasty or something,"

Thinking back, he must mean... "you mean the boar? I am not so sure that one was wild... I had the feeling at the time that perhaps it belonged to those goblins, that they had trained it as a guard 'dog'." I follow him into the other cave and search it as thoroughly as I had the other one. "Although perhaps something similar is happening here. Could it be that someone or something is encouraging bats to swarm?"

Intelligence (Investigation): [roll0]

Or not. Must be distracted by memories.

Majin
2017-08-30, 01:26 PM
"Uhh, well bats don't really attack people. I think they mostly just eat bugs", Darrik responds, while trying to keep the over-eager Devil, basically wrestling with him. He didn't want Devil to run away on his own. "I dunno, maybe there's like an evil wizard or something like that here. Those big caterpillars aren't something you really normally see either"

Darrik eyes the cave. Well, plenty bats lived here. Maybe some traditional wizard would be happy with these materials found here. He really didn't know much about bats, or what could cause them to act like that, except it wasn't normal. Had Erymben mentioned anything about it?

Nature roll about the swarm's behavior: [roll0]

"Maybe the answer's deeper into this cave", Darrik says. He and Devil follow Jason deeper into the cave.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-08-30, 05:34 PM
Sorawyl and Tarina combined find no proof the dwarf - or indeed anyone or thing than bats - has entered this cave in many years. At least not to the extent you yourselves are. But Tarina does get a chill in this cave, nothing like she's ever felt before. Not a warning, not a thought, just some old sadness. Like cleaning out the home of a recently deceased family member. When she looks up at the cave's ceiling, her belly roils. She gets no distinct impression, only the feeling of unpleasantness.

Darrik vaguely recalls a lesson in which Erymben mentioned swarms of mindless animals such as this, unnaturally aggressive. She said such things can happen under the influence of some great evil, around the presence of a corruptive item, or in the location of some dark and lamentable deed.

Jason enters his cavern and thankfully finds no other bugs. What he does find is their nest, and it's pretty gross: A mound of rotting animals built over years. Skeletal remains crisscross with dusty old pelts. Nothing here was larger than a small dog. He finds nothing of interest here, animals not being known for carrying goods.

Devil is still interested in continuing on...

http://i64.tinypic.com/i3ib9j.jpg

I made a good Insight check of Tarina's behalf.

Discuss! Actions! Et cetera.

If you don't mind, I'll keep the same initiative for the rest of the map (and roll new ones for subsequent maps).

OOC: You each earn 65 xp for the centipedes and bats.

Fishybugs
2017-08-30, 06:17 PM
Tarina blinks a few times and shakes her head to clear the sense of sadness. "Anyone else feel that? Sadness. Like maybe something bad has happened here..." She holds her hand over her belly to calm it as she proceeds. "Let's get done and get out of here. I don't like this place. Want to check out this cave on the right or keep on straight?"

Majin
2017-08-31, 02:06 PM
"I don't really feel anything", Darrik replies to Tarina. "But I think if something really bad happened here, it could have caused the swarm. Better be on your toes."

"Yeah, let's check it out. Better be thorough. It'd be silly if we ventured really deep into the caves, and the dwarf was here all along. Then again, I'm curious about what's so sinister about these caves, so... Let's just search everything." Darrik puts away his bow and lights his torch again with a simple spell. "Do you think it could be ghosts?
I've never met one, so it would be quite exciting if it was", Darrik asks the party.

Perception: to first spot any creatures hiding in the cave, then move to G4 if he doesn't spot anything.

Investigation: + Guidance d4 to spot if there's anything interesting in the cave.

JadedDM
2017-08-31, 02:35 PM
"Sadness?" Jason repeats. "Well, a dwarf probably died here. Maybe that's it." He will accompany Darrik to check out the northwestern path and see if it is a dead-end or continues further.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-09-01, 06:40 AM
"Do you think it could be ghosts? I've never met one, so it would be quite exciting if it was", Darrik asks the party.

"It would be interesting to meet a ghost," I muse, "unless it turned out to be a malicious one. Or a grumpy dwarf ghost. A good thing we have a cleric of Mishakal with us, I suppose."

I let the others search this time. Which way does Devil want to go?

Fishybugs
2017-09-01, 09:41 AM
"I have no desire to meet a ghost. Who would want to hang around here instead of be welcomed into the gods' loving embrace?" Tarina waves her hand over the head of her mace, and it begins to glow. "That rock is going to be too far behind to be of any good to us." Tarina allows Jason and Darrik to take the lead and keeps an eye out behind them.

Majin
2017-09-02, 03:46 AM
"It would be interesting to meet a ghost," I muse, "unless it turned out to be a malicious one. Or a grumpy dwarf ghost. A good thing we have a cleric of Mishakal with us, I suppose."

"Yeah, my arrows aren't really holy, they just make things hole-y. You know, holy and hole-y... Never mind that, moving on", Darrik says, quickly rushing past the awkward pun.

"I have no desire to meet a ghost. Who would want to hang around here instead of be welcomed into the gods' loving embrace?" Tarina waves her hand over the head of her mace, and it begins to glow. "That rock is going to be too far behind to be of any good to us." Tarina allows Jason and Darrik to take the lead and keeps an eye out behind them.

"Weell, I don't think every god's embrace is that loving. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to visit the Abyss some day, but I don't think I'd wanna live there for the rest of my life. Or afterlife. Especially not afterlife, because that'd be pretty long time I think."

JadedDM
2017-09-02, 01:24 PM
Adding his two coppers to the ghost talk, Jason says, "Plus, there are those poor saps who are fooled by Chemosh's false promises of immortality. And I suppose some people may have such a strong connection to the mortal world, due to unfinished business perhaps, that they refuse to enter the Gate of Souls out of pure stubbornness." He shrugs. "Then again, I'm no expert in the afterlife."

Gorgon_Heap
2017-09-05, 01:51 PM
Devil is interested in continuing down the main hall, but Darrik and Jason enter the cave to their right just to be sure. There is nothing in here but a bunch of stalactites. Still no sign of the dwarf, so they shrug and turn around ... and that's when the stalactites wobble and leap from the ceiling! One smacks into the ground next to Darrik and scaring the heck out of Devil, while another hits Jason hard enough he loses his breath, and he almost panics when everything goes dark and he feels leathers membranes wrap over his head.

http://i66.tinypic.com/ejzsxl.jpg

Surprise! The cave fills with magical darkness.

http://i65.tinypic.com/24y9xeu.jpg

Begin initiative order
Sorawyl
Jason takes 11 damage - nat 20 - You are being suffocated. Str check DC 13 on your turn to remove the creature
Darkmantles
Darrik/Devil
Tarina

Ninja_Prawn
2017-09-05, 02:23 PM

Eh? Why can't I see into the chamber anymore? "What is going on in there?" I call out to Jason and Darrik while walking up the to the edge of the darkness and wafting my hand at it. Hm. Doesn't seem to be smoke. Maybe it's magic...

We'll move to I6 and put our thinking cap on to see if Sora can't figure out what's happening here.

Intelligence (Arcana): [roll0]

Fishybugs
2017-09-05, 02:55 PM
Tarina Davenledge, (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=639580) 3rd level Cleric of Mishakal

Tarina startles at the sounds from the cave. She starts to move forward to check it out when everything goes dark. "Ummm....guys?
Devil? Hello?" Tarina moves close to the border of the darkness and inserts her glowing mace head into the darkness.

JadedDM
2017-09-05, 07:33 PM
Jason struggles to remove whatever has grasped his head so he can breathe. The sudden surge of adrenaline helps recover some of his energy.

Jason makes a STR check [roll0]
Jason uses second wind [roll1]

Majin
2017-09-06, 01:10 AM

Devil (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1192679), HP: 11/11 AC: 15, PPerception: 13

"I and Devil are okay!" Darrik shouts back. "And Jason is..." Darrik couldn't see in this sudden darkness at all. If he couldn't feel the heat, he could gave sworn his torch had gone out. He could hear Jason struggling near him though, and something had fallen from tge ceiling. "Jason is probably alive too!"

Darrik draws his sword, and tries to strike at whatever had fallen next to him. Devil follows the suit, attempting to bite the creature and hold it down.

Attack the darkmantle.
Darrik:
Disadvantage: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Devil:
No disadvantage because of Pack tactics.
Bite: If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-09-11, 01:18 PM
Round 7

Sora is absolutely certain she is seeing a magical darkness effect – in fact, when Tarina withdraws her club from its unnerving edge, her own magical light has been extinguished.

As Jason peels the edge of the leathery wings from his head and gasps for air, he hears the creature flapping away and reorient for another attack. How will it do so in this darkness he wonders? Darrik pokes his sword toward where the thing landed at his side and is gratified when it strikes deep into a rubbery resistance. He has no way of knowing how well struck it was, but he can hear it still moving about.

All of you hear increased rustling from the cave, however, and realize there is more than two creatures …

Ugh. Getting confusing. What say we post in order if we can, huh? Is that okay with everyone, or shall I just keep blending it all together?

Sorawyl
Jason - Blinded
Darkmantles
Darrik/Devil - Blinded
Tarina

Ninja_Prawn
2017-09-12, 04:02 AM

"Probably alive?! That is not reassuring at all, Darrik! Jason! Can you hear me? I am coming in!" I grope forward into the magical darkness, yelp with shock as I stumble into something big and furry (I hope it's Devil), then try to carry on towards where I heard Darrik from. "Where are you guys?"

Sora's kind of moving at random, so I'll leave it up to you where she ends up. She's also trying to listen for where things are, if that's possible.

Wisdom (Perception): [roll0]

JadedDM
2017-09-12, 01:08 PM
Now able to breathe again, as well as talk, Jason calls out. "No, don't come in! There's more than one of these things in here and whatever they are, one just tried to suffocate me. If either of you can get rid of this darkness, that would help. My torch is still lit--I can feel the heat--but I can't see anything! We're at a disadvantage here. Call out to us, so we can follow your voices out of this darkness."

Keeping his shield up, Jason will disengage and try to carefully follow the women's voices to get out of the darkness.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-09-20, 07:40 AM
Though they can't see the creatures, Jason and Darrik certainly sense and hear them as they wobbly flap back into the air and dive to strike again ... while another targets Sora, who decides to join the men in the dark ...

Jason Attack [roll0] for [roll1]

Darrik Attack [roll2] for [roll3]

Sora Attack [roll4] for [roll5]

If you're wondering, I've reduced the damage because the cave is small - they aren't falling from a great height.

Majin
2017-09-20, 02:20 PM
Darrik Proudfoot (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=640113), HP: 23/28 AC: 15, PPerception: 15

"We are bailing out? Well, it's-" Darrik is cut off when one of the creatures attacks him, engulfing his head. Darrik says something, but it's just comes out mumbled. With Devil's help, he manages to yank the thing off his head.

Fishybugs
2017-09-20, 02:30 PM

Tarina frowns at what she hopes is the end of her mace. She waves her hand over the end of it again, willing it to relight.

"This way, boy! Come here, Devil! Oh!! Everyone...follow my voice!!" Tarina glances around to make sure nothing else is sneaking up on her while otherwise preoccupied.

Perception: [roll0]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-09-21, 02:54 PM
Round 9 begins

Everyone is in the dark, shouting. Devil has a very good sense of where he wants to go, but can't communicate it very well. Meanwhile, hungry creatures continue attacking ...

Sorawyl - Blinded
Jason - Blinded
Darkmantles
Darrik/Devil - Blinded
Tarina - Blinded

Majin and Fishy, please feel free to revise your actions re; what I posted in OOC.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-09-22, 11:17 AM
HP 4/11 | AC 9 | Concentrating on: -
Oxygen gauge: 24/30

Ouch! What the...? Something's on my head, I can't breathe! I am overtaken by a sudden and overwhelming desire to agree with whoever said we should get out of here. Only... which way is 'out'? I try to pick out Tarina's muffled voice, since she was outside the chamber, and head towards is, struggling to get this thing off me.

Not sure what rolls are required here. I think the wrestling with the darkmantle is a strength check?

To escape the room: [roll0]
Advantage, due to Tarina's help: [roll1]

Strength check to fight Darkmantle: [roll2]

JadedDM
2017-09-22, 01:48 PM
Jason is still trying to back out of the cave until he can see again, reasoning that the darkness has a specific range.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-09-23, 02:36 PM
Devil's superior senses and Tarina's calls allow him to quickly find his way out of the magical darkness. Jason backs out, pushing Sora along behind him. The cave is suddenly lighted the moment Jason and his torch emerge, leaving only the Kender blind.

However, as the fear and shouting intensifies, more rustling and flapping erupts from the cave and the hungry creatures come for you all!

Sorawyl [roll0] for [roll1]

Jason [roll2] for [roll3]

Darrik [roll4] or [roll5] for [roll6]

Devil [roll7] for [roll8]

Tarina [roll9] for [roll10]

Ninja_Prawn
2017-09-24, 03:29 AM
HP 0/11 | AC 9 | Concentrating on: -

I only get the briefest glimpse of the black, flapping creatures before one of them slams into me, knocking me down. Everything goes dark once again...

Death save: [roll0]

Majin
2017-09-24, 02:08 PM
Darrik Proudfoot (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=640113), HP: 19/28 AC: 15, PPerception: 15

Darrik again struggles with the creature engulfing his head.

Strength save: [roll0]

If Darrik can also move while trying to detach the darkmantle, he tries to move out of the darkness.

Devil (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1192679), HP: 6/11 AC: 15, PPerception: 13

Devil meanwhile lets out a snarl and attacks a darkmantle near him, trying to knock it down.

Bite a darkmantle near Devil. Rolls in OOC.

Bite: If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

JadedDM
2017-09-28, 01:18 PM
Now that Jason can see, he strikes at the creature attacking him with his blade, keeping his torch aloft with the other hand.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-09-29, 07:16 AM
You are all surprised by the number of creatures, and many of you find yourselves attacked and enveloped, but you are now wounding them. One crashes into Devil, but the nimble wolf moves fast and is not caught (nat 20 on save) and tears into the one on Sorawyl. Though it doesn't let go, it is gushing blood from the wolf's savage attack. Jason wounds one as well. The unattached creatures don't bother attacking anybody not already under attack, which means they again come for Jason and Devil ...

Jason [roll0] for [roll1]

Devil [roll2] for [roll3]

Three creatures are now wounded. Also, removing one is an action, so if you do so and still have an action, you can make an attack if you don't move.
For instance, Second Wind is a bonus action, so Jason could have attacked a couple rounds ago. Go ahead and do that retroactively if you want. I think Darrik missed an attack too?

Serious question - Do any of you own the MM? Respond OOC.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-10-03, 08:45 AM

I dream of darkness, and caves, and dark things inside caves.

JadedDM
2017-10-03, 01:34 PM
Jason swings his blade at his opponent again, then quickly quaffs his healing potion before the creature can retaliate.

Jason will attack, then use an action surge to drink his healing potion.
Attack Roll [roll0]
Damage Roll [roll1]
Potion of Healing [roll2]

Ninja_Prawn
2017-10-05, 04:24 AM

What lurks in the darkness? Dangerous things? Secret things? What is it I was looking for?

Gorgon_Heap
2017-10-10, 01:14 PM
Zoooooop! Round 12

Sorawyl awakens to probably the most terrifying sensation imaginable: Her lungs aching for air, all sight and sound muffled, face swathed in some leathery sheet, her entire head being yanked back and forth with some ferocious snarling vibrating her whole skull. Suddenly she's free, air and light and sound exploding into vibrant life. A foot away a big, ugly creature half made of leathery membrane squirms and bleeds at Devil tears into it, pinning it down with a paw.

Jason's head rocks back as if punched by an ogre, but his elbow was at such an angle the creature couldn't get a grip on him and flops to the ground. He gulps down a potion.

Darrik is alone in the dark, suffocating.

Tarina calls upon the power of Mishakal and allows the healing magic to flow into her friends, and is relieved to see Sorawyl conscious.

Sora is at 5 hp. Jason, Darrik, and Devil please spread another 10 hp between the three of you.

Round 13 begins

Initiative
Sorawyl
Jason
Darkmantles
Darrik/Devil
Tarina

Ninja_Prawn
2017-10-10, 02:56 PM
HP 5/11 | AC 9 | Concentrating on: -

"Gah... haa... haaah..." I splutter, staring wide-eyed at the monster under Devil's paw. "What in all the Hells...?"

Horror, disgust and rage fill me as I stand up and see that another leathery thing is trying to strangle Tarina. I summon up all of the magical energy I can and shout (or at least hoarsely croak) "Burn, monster! You do not touch her!!"

Object interaction to pick up my wand. Stand up where I am.

Chromatic orb II attack: 25 (20+5; using Portent)
Damage: [roll0] fire damage

JadedDM
2017-10-10, 05:28 PM
Jason will attempt to finish off the creature he is fighting.

Attack Roll [roll0]
Damage Roll [roll1]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-10-11, 10:59 AM
Round 12 continued ...

With a gruesome splortch one of the creatures explodes, raining boiling blood across much of the tunnel. Shock registers in the alien eyes of nearby creatures, two of which appear very nearly dead, and the tunnel goes dark, light, and dark again..

You hear a flapping again ...

The darkmantle closest to Tarina, which was attacking Devil, is splattered with its buddy and gets the hell out of there. It uses it's darkness ability and flies away, back into its own cave. The tunnel lights up again once it's out of range. It's followed by Jason's, which can barely fly. The last is furious and finally breaks free of Devil's grip and activates its own darkness to attack him again. Only the following darkmantle is still in the tunnel.

The tunnel is now in darkness.

Darkmantle attacks Devil [roll0] or [roll1] for [roll2]

Darrik is now at the limit of his breath.

Darrik takes [roll3] crushing damage and must make a DC 12 Con check. If he fails, he's run out of air, falls to 0 hp, and must make a death save. He is still in total darkness.

Darrik and Tarina are up.

Majin
2017-10-11, 03:44 PM
Darrik Proudfoot (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=640113), HP: 13/28 AC: 15, PPerception: 15

Even though the situation was very dire, Darrik was feeling very light-headed. He almost forgot to struggle against the monster. "Ah, I must be running out of breath. So this is what suffocation feels like", Darrik thinks.

Do I still get Strength save to detach the darkmantle? [roll0] -> Re-rolled str save in OOC thread.

Con check: [roll1]

Death save, if Con fails: [roll2]

Devil (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1192679), HP: 2/11 AC: 15, PPerception: 13

Devil meanwhile growls and tries to shake off the darkmantle.

Death save: Or do I use this for the str save (It's +3 to roll)? [roll3]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-10-19, 09:56 AM
A startled Tarina, hearing Devil and a creature wrestling, takes several steps back and is suddenly out of the magical darkness - she can just barely tell the difference between that and the non-magical darkness she's currently experiencing.

Dizzy and disoriented, Darrik crawls along the wall toward his companion's voices. Judging by the sounds, he thinks he's out of the cave back into the tunnel, but the magical darkness extends here too. He hears the wolf/creature scuffle only feet away.

Round 13 begins ...

All but Tarina (who is in normal darkness without a light) are in magical darkness, but there is only one darkmantle currently engaged in combat, with Devil. The others have flown back into their cave, either scared off or terribly wounded.

Sorawyl - Blinded
Jason - Blinded
Darkmantle
Darrik/Devil - Blinded
Tarina - Blinded

There's really been no reason to update the map since nobody can see anything.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-10-22, 02:40 PM

More darkness? It must be part of these creatures' hunting strategy. It sounds like Devil is still fighting one of them, but without being able to see them there isn't really much I can do to help, so instead I try to find out if everyone else is okay. "Tarina, Darrik, Jason, can you all hear me? Is anyone under attack? Can anyone see?"

Stay where I am; I'll use a reaction to cast shield if I'm attacked.

JadedDM
2017-10-22, 03:33 PM
"I'm alright," Jason calls out. "But I can't see anything again." He will try to slowly back out of the darkness, again, while keeping his guard up.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-10-23, 09:51 AM
Jason's world suddenly explodes into light again as he and his torch exit the magical shade.

Darkmantle to free itself from Devil DC 13 STR [roll0]

Darkmantle attacks Devil advantage [roll1] or [roll][roll2] for [roll3]

Devil freedom roll [roll4]

Devil attacks darkmantle disadvantage [roll5] or [roll6] for [roll7]

Well, Devil would have killed it if it hadn't hit first. It too only has a few hp left.

Darrik and Tarina ...

Majin
2017-10-24, 01:44 PM
Darrik Proudfoot (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=640113), HP: 13/28 AC: 15, PPerception: 15

"Hey! You get away from him!" Darrik yells at the darkmantle, and swings his sword at it, trying to draw away the monster from Devil. Darrik sensed Devil had been hurt, and wasn't struggling anymore...

Attack Darkmantle: [roll0]
Disadvantage: [roll1] 16 Wrong die, attack roll in OOC thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?532694-Ansalonian-Adventures-II&p=22506110#post22506110)

Devil's death save: [roll3]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-10-24, 02:05 PM
Darrik's blade thunks wetly into something (He hopes not Devil!) and the darkness lifts instantly. The thing is dead, but still wrapped around Devil's small head. You can all hear the nervous rustling of the other creatures back within the cave.

Fishybugs
2017-10-24, 02:55 PM
Tarina calls out to Darrik's companion. "Come here, Devil....come here, boy." She attempts to pull the creature off of Devil's head.

Str: [roll0]

Ninja_Prawn
2017-10-25, 05:08 AM

So, the monsters have retreated to their cave... for now. It seems like Darrik's wolf was knocked out in the struggle, which could be a problem since he's probably our best tracker. I don't know much about wolf-medicine, but maybe there's something I can do to help. "Are you alright there, Darrik? Can I be of assistance?"

Regarding the darkmantles: "what are we going to do about those? I would be uncomfortable venturing further into these caves with them lurking around behind us... We should at least mark this chamber somehow so we know to be careful coming back."

I'll move to where Devil is and Help if anyone wants to try stabilising him.

JadedDM
2017-10-26, 06:43 PM
"That darkness is a real problem," Jason comments. "Unless we can find some way to counter it, going in after them might well be suicide."

Fishybugs
2017-10-27, 09:36 AM
Tarina looks around in the dim light. "Could we build a fire here at the entrance to this part of the cave? Would that keep them back for a while?"

Investigation check for things to build a fire with: [roll0] and a disadvantage roll if needed for dim light: [roll1]

Majin
2017-10-27, 03:43 PM

"Um, I think Devil got knocked out. Give me a hand here, I need to patch him up a bit.", Darrik says to Sorawyl.

Medicine: [roll0]
Advantage: [roll1]

Devil's death save: [roll2]

Darrik takes a moment to carefully tend to Devil's injuries. "Okay, he's going to be fine. I think he should rest for a while though. I mean I could rest for a while. I'd also really like to clean up, I feel a bit dirty after having my head swallowed, but can't do much here I guess. Unless one of the other paths has like a hot spring or somethings. That would be great." Darrik looks back down at the unconscious Devil. "Jason, can you help me move him? He's a bit heavy for me."

"Fire's a good idea. I don't really know much about these beasts, but I guess they prefer darkness."

JadedDM
2017-10-27, 07:00 PM
"My torch was useless in the darkness," Jason points out. "It seems magical in nature. I would guess we could only counter it with magic."

Ninja_Prawn
2017-10-28, 10:32 AM
It certainly seems like magic to me. "Indeed. Unfortunately I do not know of any method by which we could overcome this magic... Since they are too dangerous to fight, perhaps we can barricade them in somehow?

And I agree with Darrik. We cannot make progress until Devil is back on his feet. Perhaps we should withdraw for now, rest, and return with some means of defeating the monsters of darkness."

Gorgon_Heap
2017-10-28, 04:04 PM
Devil is awake but definitely worse for wear. Tarina finds nothing flammable, but you each have equipment, including torches, and there is the leftover gear from the erstwhile dwarf, which you presumably left back at the bear den. Though you could claim yourselves a fairly nice bear pelt if you want to, not that you could burn it.

Once the magical darkness effect ends, you can use normal or magical light to see into the cave of creatures (none of you have tried to ID them or their abilities, thus they are named only OOC), though you can't be sure how close you can safely get. You know only that several of them are severely wounded.

Fishybugs
2017-10-28, 10:16 PM
"Could we just stand back here and shoot at them? Sora, you can throw those little fireballs, right? I have my crossbow."

Ninja_Prawn
2017-10-29, 03:31 AM
"Would that not cause them to reinstate their darkness, though? Unless we could disable them all in a single salvo..."

Edit: I must have added the angry icon by accident while posting from mobile. Sorry if anyone go the wrong idea.

JadedDM
2017-10-29, 01:29 PM
Jason will peer into the cave, without actually entering it, to try and see if there is anything inside worth investigating besides the strange creatures.

Fishybugs
2017-10-30, 08:55 AM
Tarina frowns in response to Sorawyl's question. "Maayybe, but I can't think of another way to keep them from sneaking up behind us. Any ideas?"

Gorgon_Heap
2017-10-30, 11:54 AM
Jason can just make out what looks like lumps of trash and old bones. One this you all noticed is the limited range of the darkness effect. Judging by how you were all able to leave the field with only a handful of steps, you'd say it's only ten to fifteen feet at the outside. You also haven't determined how often this ability can be used.

JadedDM
2017-10-30, 05:33 PM
Jason steps away from the cave entrance. "Do you think they are intelligent enough to retaliate? I think we just stumbled upon their nest and they were defending themselves. It doesn't look like there's anything of value in there, nor our missing dwarf. If we leave them alone, they might do the same for us."

Ninja_Prawn
2017-10-30, 06:27 PM
"It seems an awful risk to be taking, though. After all, their hunting technique suggests some degree of intelligence, and they were smart enough to retreat when faced with a show of force," I observe. "I would rather take a shot at them now, while they are weak, than leave them to get up to who-knows-what mischief. Plus our employer is going to want these caves cleared out in any case."

Majin
2017-10-31, 03:03 PM
"Well I wouldn't want them chasing us..." Darrik mutters. He is looking around and collecting any pointy objects he can find. "I kind of have idea about fighting them I want to try!"

Survival: [roll0] + Guidance [roll1]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-10-31, 04:05 PM
The Kender spends a good ten to fifteen minutes affixing an array of pointy objects to Jason's coif with string; small knives, some poor old creature's rib bone, several crossbow quarrels. Jason look ridiculous of course, but any creature that tries to grapple his head will turn itself into a pun cushion from the inside out.

Majin
2017-10-31, 04:26 PM
"There!" Darrik exclaims and stands back from Jason. "That looks pretty effective, if I say so myself. And it doesn't even look as silly as I first thought. I'd like to see one of those winged beasts try to eat you now! I mean wouldn't literally want that. Except kind of, because I'd like to know how my contraption works..."

JadedDM
2017-11-01, 08:08 PM
Jason accepts the now modified coif. "Well, it's certainly...unique," Jason says after a few seconds of hesitation. He gingerly places it back on his head to try it out.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-11-01, 10:05 PM
It's awkward and uncomfortable, lumpy and stretched, but you imagine it would be much worse for anything trying to grasp hold of you.

JadedDM
2017-11-02, 12:42 PM
"Great," Jason says. "Make sure I'm buried with it if this goes south. Death by...whatever the Abyss those things are." Shaking his head, he adds, "Should we take a short rest first? I'm still a bit winded from the last encounter."

Gorgon_Heap
2017-11-02, 02:04 PM
"Great," Jason says. "Make sure I'm buried with it if this goes south. Death by...whatever the Abyss those things are." Shaking his head, he adds, "Should we take a short rest first? I'm still a bit winded from the last encounter."

OOC: Y'all have been standing around talking for twenty minutes. This counts as a short rest. You're all good!

Fishybugs
2017-11-03, 06:01 PM
HP: 24 AC: 16 Concentrating on: Bless

Tarina looks back in toward the darkness, wondering if attacking the creatures again is the best plan. "Okay...are we ready?" She pulls out her holy symbol and brings it to her lips, almost as if she is whispering something to it. She says aloud, however, "Mishakal, help us in this battle against the creatures of the dark. Help us so that we can find this lost man and bring him back into Your light." As she speaks, she looks at each of the others in her group and focuses her will toward each of them, and then herself.

Casting Bless as a second level to have an effect on four creatures...though should I bless Devil instead of myself?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-04, 06:56 AM
HP 11/11 | AC 9 | Concentrating on: - | Blessed

Feeling much better for the short break, I nod. "Yes, I am ready. Shall we each pick a separate target, or concentrate our fire?"

Using Arcane Recovery and rolling 2 hit dice...

Healing: [roll0]
Initiative, I guess? [roll1]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-11-04, 10:47 AM
OOC: I rolled randomly and you are very lucky - the drakmantles are last in a new initiative order. Just barely.

You literally cannot get surprise on them no matter what, but you all will act first. So at this point, once you finish discussing, just go ahead and describe/roll your actions. There are five darkmantles in the cave, about 20 feet away.

Fishybugs
2017-11-06, 05:11 PM

Tarina looks around at the others as she prepares her crossbow. "Sooo...are we ready? I'm ready." She aims her crossbow into the cave and lets a bolt fly.

Disadvantage for shooting into the darness?

Attack: [roll0] or [roll1] plus [roll2] for bless

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-07, 03:40 PM

"Ah, uh, yes. Open fire!" I decide to aim for one of the injured ones, to maximise my chances of reducing their number.

Attacking with fire bolt, aiming for whichever looks most injured. We shouldn't have disadvantage, right? Even the people without darkvision, since Jason's torch should be casting bright light for 20 feet.

Attack: [roll0] plus [roll1] = 10 :smallsigh:
Damage: [roll2] fire

Majin
2017-11-07, 03:49 PM
Darrik Proudfoot (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=640113), HP: 28/28 AC: 15, PPerception: 15, Concentrating on: Hunter's Mark

Darrik hangs back, with Devil at his side. Darrik was a bit uneasy about sending him to fight the monsters right now, with so many left.

Following Tarina's example, with short prayer to Habbakuk, Darrik looses an arrow into the darkness, aiming at the same creature the cleric attacked.

Cast Hunter's Mark (http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Hunter%27s_Mark) on the same creature Tarina attacked, and then attack it with a shortbow.

Attack: [roll0] + Bless [roll1]
No disadvantage, because on first turn during combat Darrik has advantage on creatures that haven't acted yet.
Damage: [roll2] + [roll3]

Devil takes Dodge action.

JadedDM
2017-11-07, 06:21 PM
Jason hurls one of his javelins at one of the creatures.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-11-09, 02:04 PM
Pitching into the dark, Jason's javelin makes a distinct sound, chipping hard into solid rock instead of leathery flesh or dirt floor. Several dry thuds follow, and the wooden pole finally clatters to the ground. What had happened? You can't be certain, but a number of enraged creatures flap toward the warrior in a fit, aiming to stop his assault and sate their hunger in one go ...

All PCs are just outside the darkness...

Attack 1 vs Jason for 1d6+3

Attack 2 vs Jason for 1d6+3

The third creatures comes forward and brings the darkness with it ...

Attack 3 vs Jason or [roll3] for 1d6+3

... if the darkmantle hits with advantage, it must make a DC 14 Dex check or be punctured by Jason's crown of rubbish.

[roll4] - failure results in [roll5] damage

and Jason must make a Str check DC 10 or be knocked prone

Gorgon_Heap
2017-11-09, 02:08 PM
OOC:

Dunno what happened there. Sorry. Two attacks hit, and the third darkmantle does not grapple Jason, realizing that doing so will result in it perforating itself.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Again, the darkness reaches 15 feet, so everybody can back out of it.

Majin
2017-11-12, 04:23 PM
Darrik Proudfoot (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=640113), HP: 28/28 AC: 15, PPerception: 15, Concentrating on: Hunter's Mark

Darrik's not sure whether his invention worked or not, but at least he can't hear any muffled screams, so it might have. Darrik backs out of the darkness, since staying in it wouldn't help at all. Devil follows him.

When Darrik's out of the dark, he carefully takes aim. By the sounds Darrik can somewhat guess where they are, and he tries to aim high enough not to hit Jason instead. He hopes to hit the same creature he previously hit.

Devil stays in front of Darrik, ready to attack any flying monsters that come near.

Try to attack same darkmantle Darrik previously attacked. Darrik cast Hunter's Mark (http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Hunter%27s_Mark)on it, would that help?
Disadvantage: [roll1] - With reroll 20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?532694-Ansalonian-Adventures-II&p=22561437#post22561437), but doesn't matter with disadvantage.

Attack is 10 + 3 from Bless (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?532694-Ansalonian-Adventures-II&p=22561530#post22561530)

Damage: [roll2] + Hunter's Mark [roll3] (if Darrik can hit the same darkmantle)

Devil stays in front of Darrik and readies action to attack any darkmantles that come within melee distance.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-12, 05:05 PM

I back out as well. Darrik's confidence in firing into the darkness encourages me to give it a shot, too. Might as well (http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/images/8/8f/Attack_the_Darkness.jpeg), eh?

Attacking with fire bolt again. Aiming at anywhere except where I last knew Jason to be.

Attack: [roll0] plus [roll1]
Disadvantage: [roll2] plus [roll3] = 26
Damage: [roll4] fire

Fishybugs
2017-11-13, 11:20 AM

Tarina watches Jason out of the corner of her eye as she reloads her crossbow. Her breath catches as the strange creature attempts to grab him once again. When she sees the creature miss, she almost lets out a cheer of joy. "Good job, Darrik! Looks like it's working."She takes aim and shoots at the one who attempted to grab her friend again.

Attack: [roll0] for [roll1] damage to the creature that attacked Jason.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-11-13, 01:10 PM
A array of attacks blaze into the darkness, resulting in disturbing noises and heavy, wet plops. The darkness vanishes as quickly as it appeared, and in the wavering torchlight there are three dead or dying creatures on the floor, and two still hanging from the ceiling. They look pretty furious, but take flight ... and do their best to smash through your group and down the hall.

Bull rush 1 [roll0] for 3 damage

Bull rush 2 [roll1] for 3 damage

The entire party (sans Devil, who is too low); if the attacks hits, you take the damage. But as they are trying to get past you, you can each make an attack of opportunity. Jut make sure you say which one you are attacking. You can make an opposed Str or Dex check or be knocked prone, but it shouldn't matter - if they survive, the darkmantles are bugging out.

Fishybugs
2017-11-13, 01:21 PM
HP: 15/24 AC: 16 Concentrating on: Bless

Tarina cries out in surprise and dives for the floor, but the darkmantles both run right over her on their way out. She stands and brushes some dirt off herself as she grabs her crossbow from where it fell to. She stares off down the hallway after the beasts. "Well that was rude." She looks around at the others. "How is everyone? Okay?" She moves around and helps the others to their feet, making sure none of them are too injured.

Does a natural 20 on a "bull rush" do double damage as well? I subtracted that much, just let me know if it wasn't supposed to.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-13, 01:44 PM
HP 2/11 | AC 9 | Concentrating on: - | Blessed

"Ooopff!" I gasp as the sudden charge sends me tumbling to the floor, flailing ineffectually*.

In response to Tarina's query: "ah, no, actually. That was rather painful." I make no effort to stand back up yet; I just sit there feeling sorry for myself.

Sora isn't carrying a weapon and her strength mod is -1, so she's guaranteed to do 0 damage if she attempts an OA.

Also I have assumed double damage, like Fishy.

Majin
2017-11-13, 01:49 PM
Darrik Proudfoot (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=640113), HP: 19/28 AC: 15, PPerception: 15, Concentrating on:

"Oof!" Darrik says as the creatures speed past them. "I'm okay, I'm okay."

Dex check 1: [roll0]
Dex check 2: [roll1]

Con check to keep Hunter's Mark 1: [roll2]
Con check 2: [roll3]

No opportunity attack because Darrik isn't carrying melee weapon.

Fishybugs
2017-11-13, 02:10 PM
HP: 15/24 AC: 16 Concentrating on: Bless

Tarina walks over to Sorawyl and lays her hand upon her wizard friend. "Mishakal's blessing on you." Her holy symbol glows briefly, and Sorawyl feels quite a bit better.

Cure wounds at first level: [roll0]

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-13, 02:21 PM
HP 8/11 | AC 9 | Concentrating on: - | Blessed

"Thank you, darling," I smile.

"I looked like those two were fleeing the caves altogether. I think that addresses my concerns about leaving an unknown threat at our backs."

Fishybugs
2017-11-13, 02:32 PM
HP: 15 AC: 16 Concentrating on: Bless

"You think? They don't seem like the type of beast to run outside during the light...."

Majin
2017-11-13, 02:52 PM
Darrik Proudfoot (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=640113), HP: 19/28 AC: 15, PPerception: 15, Concentrating on:

"Well, I'm not sure if we can really track them in any case. I couldn't keep my hunting spell up after that attack, and they probably don't leave tracks, except maybe some droppings... Anyway, should we check out their cave?"

Darrik prompts Devil to sniff the monsters' cave, to find out if there are any more creatures hiding, just in case.

Devil's perception: [roll0]

+ Guidance from Darrik: [roll2]

JadedDM
2017-11-14, 11:03 PM
Badly wounded, Jason throws one of his javelins at the creatures as they pass by.

Jason will attack Darkmantle 01.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-11-15, 09:37 AM
Jason is struck again and knocked into the stone wall, his head left ringing and his chest sore. As the creatures reach the limit of his torchlight he gets just enough breath to heave his javelin, and it lances into one, dropping it from the air to roll, blooding, around the dirt floor, until it is merely twitching.

The remaining creature is long gone.

You are again alone but safe in the dark.

Fishybugs
2017-11-15, 10:31 AM
HP: 15/24 AC: 16 Concentrating on: Bless (Final round, I think?)

Tarina eyeballs Sorawyl quickly to make sure she had healed up well enough. Satisfied, she begins to move toward Jason once he has let his javelin fly. Following a quick examination she asks, "Do we want to take a quick rest? If we're in a hurry, I can heal Jason up a bit and then we can get going."

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-15, 01:17 PM
"Well, I could use a few minutes to take some notes..." it won't take me long to add these few caverns to my sketchy map, but it's better to do it now while I can see them.

Majin
2017-11-15, 02:29 PM

"I could search those creatures' cave. Maybe there's something interesting there..." They didn't seem afraid of attacking people, so finding a corpse was very possible.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-11-15, 03:50 PM
The cave contains nothing more than muck and the remains of small animals that wandered nearby and been eaten.

Although it does also contain xp. You each earn 150 xp.

JadedDM
2017-11-15, 08:05 PM
"I'm just glad that's over," Jason comments, getting to his feet. "Looks like your modifications to my coif helped, Darrik," he adds. He gathers up his fallen javelins.

Majin
2017-11-17, 02:38 PM
"Well that's good! I was kinda worried the monster would just impale itself on the pointy bits and get stuck. I mean, it would have been really hard to remove then. But I'm glad it worked!" Darrik says to Jason.

Darrik quickly checks the cave, but is disappointed to find out there's nothing besides what you'd usually find in animals' cave.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-11-21, 03:38 PM
(Assuming you just want to continue on ... there wasn't much agreement.)

After a few minutes, you continue walking, always turning gently left along a gentle incline. Darrik believes you are following the curve of the mountaintop in a very wide spiral. After another forty yards there appears on your left another opening as the tunnel continues ahead unabated. The walls are stringy and gauzy white, with gently floating strings of cobweb drifting on microscopic breezes crisscrossing the entire hallway for at least the next fifteen to twenty feet. Your footsteps start taking on a slightly crunchy quality - the remains of many large spiders (thumbnail-sized, not actually "large"). There are dusty little balls of bones all around; long decayed birds and bats caught up and eaten.

http://i67.tinypic.com/hx0iro.jpg

Plan?

Majin
2017-11-21, 04:19 PM
Darrik lowered his torch and looked at the floor. "Ooh, spiders!" Darrik kneeled and picked up one dried husk. If it doesn't seem too crumbly, Darrik puts it in his pouch. "These are big ones too! Look at all those birds they've caught. Their webs are so neat!"

Darrik pats Devil and chatters to him. "Well boy, do you smell any dwarves?" He points out the spidery path to the wolf.

Devil's perception: [roll0]

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-21, 04:32 PM
Not seeing things quite the same way Darrik does, I furrow my brow. "Hmm..."

I am now fully expecting an ambush by giant spiders, having already encountered giant centipedes in this cave. I'll feign nonchalance for now, though. I bend down and pick up a dried spider-corpse of my own and study it to see if I recognise the species. Are they venomous? "Say, I wonder if these have any value as spell components..."

Fishybugs
2017-11-22, 12:18 AM
Tarina's heart sinks as she walks into the cobweb-covered cave. Well...maybe not covered, but there were more than enough for her taste. "Spiders. Why'd it have to be spiders?" She walks up to Jason and lays a hand on his shoulder. "Mishakal's energy for you, my friend."

Cure wounds on Jason: [roll0]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-11-22, 11:00 AM
Devil sniffs the air, sniff the walls, sniff tiny little corpse-balls. He sneezes. He sniffs again, leeks into the hall at left and his ears and head droop, as if acknowledging something he doesn't want to do.

Majin
2017-11-23, 04:53 PM
"Aww, come on Tarina. Spiders are neat!" Darrik says, continuing to examine the cave.

"Hmm, Devil's kinda reluctant to go there. He thinks there's something..." Darrik stops the sentence to process the feeling he's getting from the young wolf. "..well I think I'd say it's interesting."

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-24, 03:48 AM
"By 'interesting', I take it you mean 'large and hungry', yes? I hope your spiked coif is still working, Jason..." I certainly won't be volunteering to go in there first.

JadedDM
2017-11-26, 02:11 AM
"Well that's good! I was kinda worried the monster would just impale itself on the pointy bits and get stuck. I mean, it would have been really hard to remove then. But I'm glad it worked!" Darrik says to Jason.
"Uh...yeah," Jason says, frowning in thought. He had clearly not considered that possibility until the kender had raised it. Shaking his head, he moves with the others down the tunnel. When they reach the fork and Tarina heals him, he sighs in relief and nods to her. "Thanks."

Looking down the path that is obviously going to lead to spiders, Jason readies his sword and torch. "We're really doing this then? Alright, keep alert." He moves forward first, holding his torch out as if it were a ward.

Fishybugs
2017-11-27, 01:02 PM
HP: 15/24 AC: 16 Concentrating on: --

Tarina winces as she follows Jason through the room, ducking and weaving in between the cobwebs as necessary to prevent contact with them. She attempts to lighten the mood with a bad joke. "Great. A dark cave, and we're going someplace a Devil doesn't even want to go...."

Gorgon_Heap
2017-11-28, 12:16 PM
Each of you gently steps forward, but you're forced to yank and tug and cut through all the stringy webbing. It comes as no surprise when you hear crawling, chittering motion from ahead. What is a surprise is that the ceiling itself seems to be a quivering wave of motion ...

A swarm of spiders comes toward you, currently around square I10 on the map.

Initiative
Darrik/Devil
Sorawyl
Tarina
Jason
Spiders

Majin
2017-11-28, 02:15 PM
"Whoa! Another swarm!" Darrik shouts and points at the spiders. He draws his bow and sends an arrow towards the swarm, though it probably won't do much. Devil stays by Darrik's side, growling at the spiders.

Shoot the swarm:
Advantage because Darrik is ahead of the swarm in initiative: [rolll]d20+7
Re-rolls here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?532694-Ansalonian-Adventures-II&p=22612221#post22612221)

Devil readies action to attack the swarm if it comes within melee range.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-28, 03:12 PM
HP 8/11 | AC 9 | Concentrating on: -

"That is disgusting. If only I could cast fireball..."

Move to somewhere behind Devil but still with line of sight to the spiders, so maybe G8 or 9, and cast chromatic orb II at them.

Damage: [roll1] fire

Fishybugs
2017-11-28, 03:43 PM

Tarina stands near the edge of the cave. "Aw, come on....how come we never run into soft, fuzzy bunnies or something down here?"

She readies her crossbow and shoots into the quivering mass of spiders, refusing to look at them.

Attack roll with disadvantage for a basically blind shot: [roll0] or [roll1] for [roll2] damage.

EDIT: Heh. I felt bad about assigning myself disadvantage....but it didn't really matter much.

JadedDM
2017-11-28, 11:17 PM
Jason stomps, waves his torch and slashes his sword at the spiders, hoping to drive them off.

Attack roll [roll0]
Damage roll [roll1]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-11-29, 01:59 PM
Those with any presence of mind probably realize that, much like most other creatures you've come across in this cave system, the spiders are not particularly well fed. They sense all the movement of your group through their webs and are intent on filling their bellies as fast as they can and drop from the ceiling in a wriggling wave...

The spider swarm attacks [roll0]
1 - Sora
2 - Tarina
3 - Darrik
4 - Jason

Attack - [roll1] for [roll2]

Round 2 begins

Gorgon_Heap
2017-11-29, 02:02 PM
... the spiders are disoriented by the flash of Sorawyl's magic and Jason's slashing torch. They drop to the floor but hundreds of them die in magic and fire ...

OOC: Spider swarm crit fails and takes [roll0] damage

Majin
2017-11-29, 05:02 PM

"Well I don't know about you, but I'd feel even worse about killing fluffy bunnies", Darrik responds to Tarina.

It was a shame his bow wasn't very effective against the swarm, but it's not like he had anything better. Darrik nocks another arrow and fires it at the swarm.

Attack swarm: [roll0]

Devil also tries his best to stomp and bite the spiders in the swarm, if he has enough room.

Rolls in OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?532694-Ansalonian-Adventures-II&p=22618750&posted=1#post22618750)

Ninja_Prawn
2017-11-30, 08:04 AM

I think briefly about stomping on some spiders, but images of them crawling up my legs zip through my mind and I think better of it. More fire is the way to go.

Back away as far as I can, cast fire bolt at them.

Fishybugs
2017-12-04, 10:36 AM
Tarina, 3nd level Cleric

Tarina clips her crossbow into its halter and brings out her mace. She swings at the spiders around her, attempting to smash them to goo.

Attack: [roll0] for [roll1] damage

JadedDM
2017-12-04, 03:23 PM
Jason continues to stomp, slash and swing.

Attack roll [roll0]
Damage roll [roll1]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-12-04, 03:47 PM
Through the chaos, poor lighting, and disquieting feeling of bugs dropping all over you, many of your attacks are erratic and desperate. Jason's sword scrapes and clangs off rock walls several times before he takes a moment to shake his face clear of critters and then uses both the flat of his blade and his shield to scrape along the walls and ceiling, leaving twitching, oozy surfaces in his wake...

Spider swarm attack

1 - Sora
2 - Tarina
3 - Darrik
4 - Jason

Attack [roll1] for 2d4

Round three begins

Majin
2017-12-04, 03:56 PM

As the spiders attack Darrik, he decides to switch from a bow to a sword. It was hard enough to shoot them as it was, and now they were getting all up in his face. Though Darrik figures he should focus on swinging at the spiders who weren't climbing on him, or else he'd end up looking like that farmhand he once met that had had an accident involving a scythe and his nose.

Attack the swarm with a shortsword: [roll0]

Devil continues growling and stomping the spiders.

Devil attacks the spiders: [roll2]
Pack tactics advantage: [roll3]

Fishybugs
2017-12-04, 04:07 PM

After Tarina swung at the spiders, she looks at her mace in amazement, realizing it is still pristine and not covered in spider goo. Wow..wouldn't Ardana be soooo proud of how far you've come....

She concentrates on one group of spiders and brings her mace down again.

Attack: [roll0] for [roll1] damage.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-12-04, 06:03 PM
With a vengeance (I guess not technically) you tear through thousands of spiders descending on you, from Devil stomping on them as they land, to Tarina catching a whole glob of them against the wall. The remaining spiders realize they're about to die and scatter every which way into the darkness. You are all left with bits of spider and cobwebs dangling all yourselves.

You are all distinctly aware that while the tunnel continues on indefinitely, there's certainly more cave to your left.

Jason holds his torch aloft and peers in the narrow passage. He sees filth and what looks like a pile of fungus right in front of ... a body. It does not look alive, but he can tell it's bearded and well-equipped.

http://i68.tinypic.com/35hlf0m.jpg

Fishybugs
2017-12-04, 06:06 PM

Tarina forgets where she is for a moment, letting her training as a healer take over. She rushes to the side of the body, kneeling on the floor next to it. She places her finger on the body's neck like the priests had taught her, while simultaneously looking for any rise or fall of the chest.

Medicine check: [roll0]

JadedDM
2017-12-04, 11:03 PM
Jason steps forward to provide light so Tarina can better see what she's doing. "Is that...him? Is he..?" Jason doesn't finish the question, but it seems obvious enough what he meant.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-05, 02:53 AM
Meanwhile I keep my wand drawn, in case anything leaps out to attack the humans.

ready an action to cast fire bolt on the first thing that attacks Tarina or Jason.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-12-05, 10:21 AM
Tarina rushed through the dark cave, past the patch of mold and spores, and kneels next to the body. Even before Jason is at her side with his torch she knows this is a dead dwarf. The broad skull and beard give it away without need of closer examination. She can't be sure how long, he's been dead, though, as he is emaciated and his skin has a taught, waxen quality. His clothing, all high-priced and rugged adventuring gear, hangs on his form and appears stretched and torn in places.

She does not notice the tall stalks on the fungus patch wiggle around and face her, nor that they are extending rapidly toward her back, seeking exposed flesh. Jason sees this just as he arrives, and as the stalks lash out, a bolt of fire from the cave entrance scorches a patch, though who can tell if it even feels pain?

Meanwhile, movement to your left shows another patch of fungus somehow creeping across the ground toward you...

Number of attacks [roll0] from top down...

Violet fungus attacks Tarina

[roll1] for [roll2]
[roll3] for [roll4]
[roll5] for [roll6]
[roll7] for [roll8]

http://i64.tinypic.com/2z8q2h1.jpg

Majin
2017-12-05, 05:42 PM

Devil snarls and moves to attack the fungi.

If possible, move to I10 and attack the fungus at J11: [roll0]
Pack tactics advantage: [roll1]

If Devil hits, the fungus must succeed at a DC 11 Strength saving throw or fall prone.

"Whoa!" Darrik exclaims as the plants attack Tarina. Since there's not much room to shoot a bow, Darrik drops it and draws his dagger instead. The kender maneuvers into the room and strikes at the fungus with his sword and dagger.

Move to I12 and attack fungus in J11 with shortsword: [roll2]
Advantage, if the fungus falls prone: [roll3]

And with dagger: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-05, 06:42 PM

"Tarina, watch out! Some kind of fungus is attacking you!" I get ready to launch another spell. "Also, try to stay still; I am casting spells in your general vicinity!" Better to warn her late rather than never, right?

Hold position, fire bolt J11.

JadedDM
2017-12-06, 07:35 PM
"By the gods, this place is a death trap. And Gervaise really sent one dwarf alone to deal with all this?" He swings his blade at the nearest fungus. "I'm surprised he made it this far!"

[roll0]
[roll1]

Fishybugs
2017-12-07, 12:24 AM
Tarina lets out a small yelp as she quickly stands. She stomps on the fungus that had just been reaching for her backside.

Attack roll: [roll0] for [roll1] damage

I treated that as a straight unarmed strength-based attack. If I'm considered proficient with my foot, then that would be +2 more to hit.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-07, 02:46 AM
"Gervaise probably does not realise how dangerous it is down here. None of these monsters are the sort to venture out and cause trouble above ground, so he would have no way of knowing they were here."

Gorgon_Heap
2017-12-07, 05:01 PM
The first patch of fungus is quickly ripped up, slashed and burned, but the second, not being intelligent, continues to seek out food, and extends its corrosive-tipped pods toward Jason, hoping to touch something other than metal even as he stabs at it ...

Number of attacks [roll0]

Attacks Jason
[roll1] for [roll2]
[roll3] for [roll4]
[roll5] for [roll6]
[roll7] for [roll8]

Next round begins

Majin
2017-12-08, 04:38 AM

Devil moves to assist Darrik in dispatching the remaining fungus.

Devil moves to I12 and bites the remaining fungus: [roll0]

If Devil hits, the fungus must succeed at a DC 11 Strength saving throw or fall prone.

Darrik turns around and starts slashing at the fungus. Everything here seemed to be really hungry, or maybe these creatures weren't just very intelligent. Darrik did wonder what was causing those swarms.

Attack the remaining fungus with shortsword: [roll3]
Advantage, if the fungus falls prone: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Attack with dagger: [roll6]
Advantage if the fungus falls prone: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]

JadedDM
2017-12-09, 07:07 PM
Jason gets hit pretty hard by the fungus, leaving him bloodied and out of breath. He gets a second wind, though, and strikes at it in retaliation with his long sword viciously.

Attack roll [roll0]
Damage roll [roll1]
Second Wind roll [roll2]

Fishybugs
2017-12-11, 12:13 PM

Tarina looks down at the fungus. "Oh come one! even the plants down here want to kill us?" She looks around at the others, assuming Jason has dealt with the threat. "So...what now? Back out and finish the job? Keep exploring?" She contemplates the corpse for a minute. "I mean...I know the chances are pretty small...but what if this is a different dwarf than the one we're looking for?"

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-11, 01:05 PM
"This is surely the surveyor. Carmine would have said[1] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22174365&postcount=1444) if any other dwarves had been in here recently - and if this one was not recent, then I should think the flesh would have been stripped from his bones long ago.

I am minded to continue on; Carmine specifically stated that our payment is contingent upon continuing the dwarf's work should we find his body[2] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22180268&postcount=1449); however it is also true that these caves will still be here tomorrow. Perhaps the right thing to do now is bring this corpse out that he may be returned to his clan, rest, then return to this point tomorrow. We are apparently welcome in the house[3] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22195070&postcount=1453)."

Fishybugs
2017-12-11, 02:42 PM
Tarina listens to Sorawyl's reasoning and finds very little wrong with that. She considers the dwarven body. "Do we have the supplies to rig up some way to drag him back without damaging him any more than he already is? I have a blanket we could put him on..."

Majin
2017-12-11, 04:00 PM
"That sounds like good idea. Maybe there's something we can use to craft a stretcher..." Darrik looks for wood or bones to use as materials. He also quickly inspects the dwarf, making sure there are no monsters hiding inside his pockets. "Though I don't think there's that much more harm we can do to him."

Perception [roll0] for the materials.

Sleight of hand to quickly nab something from the dwarf's pockets [roll1]

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-11, 04:34 PM
"What are you rooting around down there for, Darrik? All you are like to find is mold and rot.

Anyway, I have this tent. Perhaps we can fashion something out of the tentpoles and canvas..."

Majin
2017-12-12, 07:05 AM
"Just checking there aren't anymore monsters hiding anywhere", Darrik answers to Sora. You never knew where nasty things might lurk. Well, nothing seemed to be lurking in this dwarf's pockets. "Yeah, the tent could work."

"I'd also like to come back here. All kinds of weird things here, especially the swarms. If something's causing them, I think I kind of should do something about it."

Gorgon_Heap
2017-12-12, 12:36 PM
"Just checking there aren't anymore monsters hiding anywhere"

Even as he talks, Darrik sees Devil twist his head to the side that adorable ways dogs do. He's looking beyond the dwarf, into the next cavern. His tale has stopped wagging. Meanwhile Sorawyl notes this and her skin crawls as she just makes out a dreadful clattering like somebody tapping rock with very small sticks - and with a sick squish a thin jet of glistening white rope streams out of the dark at one of you...

Target:

Devil - 1
Sora - 2
Darrik - 3
Tarina - 4

[roll0]

Attack - [roll1] with advantage against Darrik or Tarina [roll2]

If successful, the target is hit with an incredibly sticky adhesive line. You are immediately pulled across the floor into the cave, and find yourself facing a massive spider/scorpion-like thing. It strikes at you with a huge claw [roll3] for [roll4]. It On your turn you may make a Strength or Dex check DC 13 to try to escape it. You are considered grappled.

Follow the same initiative order as earlier - the creature has acted in a surprise, and it is now PC turns. It is at the far end of the cave, hanging on the wall just over twenty feet away (call it square I17).

Majin
2017-12-12, 02:43 PM
Darrik Proudfoot (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=640113), HP: 5/28 AC: 15, PPerception: 15, Concentrating on:

"What's wrong, boy? Do you s..." Darrik is cut short when something sticky grabs him. Darrik doesn't even have time to be surprised before he's pulled towards another giant bug. "Whoa!" Darrik exclaims as he sees the creature.

The giant scorpion-spider thing does surprise him, but Darrik decides he doesn't have time to admire it. He tries to get the sticky stuff off of him as quickly as possible, as another hit from that claw would probably take him out of the fight at the very least, or just killed. Being eaten by a giant hybrid bug wasn't what Darrik had envisioned to be his demise, but at least it wasn't boring.

Dex check: [roll0]. If the check doesn't take an action, cast Guidance (http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Guidance).

Meanwhile, Devil snarls and dashes towards the creature, trying to sink his teeth into its flesh.

Bite the arachnid: [roll1]
Pack tactics advantage: [roll2]

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-12, 03:08 PM

"Darrik!" Another thing that wants to eat us? This is getting ridiculous!

I'm hanging back, casting chromatic orb at it. I'll go with cold this time.

Damage: [roll1] cold

JadedDM
2017-12-13, 10:37 PM
Jason will take a swing at the thing with his long sword.

Attack roll [roll0]
Damage roll [roll1]

Fishybugs
2017-12-13, 11:36 PM

Tarina sighs and grabs her mace, rushing toward the new threat.

Attack: [roll0] for [roll1] damage

Gorgon_Heap
2017-12-16, 01:49 PM
Round 1

The monster spiderion(?) clambers higher with speed, its spindly legs making its movements difficult to adjust for. A bright ball of magical energy strikes it dead-on, and it screech-hisses in pain, sticky spittle dripping on many of you. It leaps up to the ceiling and across the chamber, allowing Jason and Tarina quick swipes with their weapons, but it's now out of reach for the smaller party members. Though it avoided Jason entirely when it first attacked, it rather angrily takes time to strike at him as it passes...

Attacks Jason

Attack 1 [roll0] for [roll1]
Attack 2 [roll2] for [roll3]

http://i64.tinypic.com/2nu0o5d.jpg

Begin round 2

Majin
2017-12-17, 01:10 PM
Darrik Proudfoot (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=640113), HP: 5/28 AC: 15, PPerception: 15, Concentrating on:

"Darn", Darrik says as the spider jumps out of reach. This was one of the times Darrik wished he had longer legs. Usually he only felt this way when stuff was placed on tall shelves.

Darrik remembers he'd dropped his bow back into the previous chamber. He throws his dagger towards the creature and tells Devil: "Devil! Go fetch bow!"

Attack spiderion: [roll0]

Devil goes to fetch Darrik's bow. Darrik was in G9 when he dropped it.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-17, 01:23 PM

"Hold on, I might be able to knock it down for you..." I step into the cavern and summon up a gust of wind to try to dislodge the scorpion-spider from the ceiling.

Move to I7, cast gust.

The monster must make a DC 13 Strength save or be pushed 5 feet away. I'm hoping that makes it lose its grip on the ceiling, so that gravity will do the rest.

JadedDM
2017-12-17, 10:08 PM
Keeping the creature at bay with his shield, Jason waits for an opening and then strikes with his long sword.

Attack roll [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Fishybugs
2017-12-17, 10:38 PM

To G8

Tarina moves closer to the creature and swings her mace again.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-12-19, 02:14 PM
Round 2

The creature hunkers "low" against the surface and is unaffected by Sorawyl's spell. Darrik and Jason's weapons clack off the creature's thick carapace, though not without injuring it. It hisses in anger and spits a long glob of sticky webbing out onto the floor behind Tarina. Before she knows it, it's running around the ceiling in a circle over your heads, looping the sticky rope around you and snapping a huge claw in your faces as it goes...

The creature literally runs in a circle above you, from F9 to G9 to G8 to F8. As such, it never leaves melee range. You get your normal attacks, but no AoOs.

Tarina and Jason are looped in sticky. You may make a DC 13 Strength or Dex check to get free, but if either of you fail, you will be stuck to the other person (grappled) until you each use an action to free yourselves (also requiring a DC 13 Strength roll - a person who failed the initial check makes this one with Disadvantage). Feel free to make these rolls in OOC. Until you are free, you are at Disadvantage on attacks.

Creature attacks Tarina [roll0] for [roll1]

http://i66.tinypic.com/j163hj.jpg

Round 3 begins

Majin
2017-12-19, 03:09 PM

Devil returns with the bow and Darrik grabs it from the wolf. "Good boy!" Then he moves back into a position and fires at the spider-scorpion mix-up.

With 80 feet of movement, I think Devil should be able to grab the bow and move to at least J6 Darrik moves to grab the bow, and moves back to his current square. Then he fires at the spider.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-19, 04:29 PM

This situation is not looking good. I'll have to give it everything I've got.

Move to K8, cast chromatic orb II.

JadedDM
2017-12-20, 08:54 PM
Jason tries to break free from the webbing.

STR check [roll0]

Fishybugs
2017-12-22, 10:22 AM

"Ewwww....Once we're done here...can we avoid caves for a while?"

Strength check: [roll0]

Gorgon_Heap
2017-12-23, 01:21 PM
Round 3

Darrik rushes to get a shot off the moment Devil drops his weapon, and the arrow flies wide. Alerted to more attacks, the creature weaves and spoils Sorawyl's aim as well. The cave brightens for a moment as the flaming ball bursts on the ceiling. Jason and Tarina manage to pry apart from each other, and the creature attacks Jason while his back is turned...

Round 4

Majin
2017-12-23, 04:59 PM

Having delivered the bow to Darrik, Devil tries bite the monster hanging from the ceiling.

If Devil can reach the spiderion, he tries to bite it: [roll0]

If the monster if out of Devil's reach, he just takes Dodge action.

Darrik continues firing the arrows at the monster. He wonders if Erymben has seen anything like this. Maybe he should try making a drawing of it or something.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-23, 05:57 PM

"This monster seems rather evasive, hm. Is everyone doing alright? I am thinking it might be time to consider running away..."

Running low on spell slots!
I'll cast Firebolt this time.

JadedDM
2017-12-24, 04:25 PM
"If we try and leave, it may just follow us," Jason says, his armor protecting him from the creature's last attacks. "Unless I stay behind to keep it busy. The rest of you can get out then." He takes another swing at the creature.

Attack Roll [roll0]
Damage Roll [roll1]

Fishybugs
2017-12-27, 02:45 PM

"We're not leaving you here, Jason." She swings at the creature one more time.

Gorgon_Heap
2017-12-29, 10:13 AM
Round 4

It's hard to discern what such an alien creature might be feeling, but if you had to guess it is angry and frustrated - but you've not really hurt it. Again unable to get past the very hard, tall being, it reaches for the shorter yellower one...

Attacks Tarina

Fishybugs
2017-12-29, 11:33 AM

Tarina flinches as the creature turns its attention to her. As it misses both attacks, she mentally sticks her tongue out at it before taking another swipe.

Majin
2017-12-30, 12:49 PM

"Well I don't usually run away, but this is getting kind of frustrating. Not leaving anyone behind though."

Darrik shoots the monster: [roll0]

Meanwhile, Devil continues trying to bite the spider-scorpion, hopping up and down.

Attack: [roll2]

If the attack hits, if the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3rgXBEseX01bJuJwmk/giphy.gif

Ninja_Prawn
2017-12-30, 12:57 PM

"Of course we would not leave Jason alone here. What I was meaning was that we could disengage tactically, using this narrow passage here as a choke point." I wave my left arm towards the entrance to the dead-end chamber we're in. "Although it looks like you are holding up well enough for the minute."

Sora is talking about square I6. Anyway, I'm holding position and casting Firebolt again, since it worked so well last time.

JadedDM
2017-12-30, 07:54 PM
"If anyone needs to fall back, I'll cover you then," Jason says. He swings his blade at the creature twice more.

Attack roll [roll0]
Damage roll [roll1]

Using an action surge for a second attack.

Attack roll [roll2]
Damage roll [roll3]

Fishybugs
2018-01-02, 12:48 PM

Tarina frowns at the creature and shakes her head. "This is starting to get ridiculous," she comments as she watches her friends miss their attacks. She briefly checks the end of her mace to make sure there are no holes in it before swinging again.

What a round.

Gorgon_Heap
2018-01-03, 11:11 AM
Round 5

The thing, for all its size, it very quick and its carapace is thick; small hits that would at least cut a person have no effect. But it certainly feels Darrik's arrow slice through several legs. It hisses grossly and is enraged all the more when Devil leaps straight up and snags one of those hurt legs and yanks it clean off.

It shrieks and flings a sticky line at the wolf ...

Attack [roll0] ... vs save DC 13 [roll1]
If save fails, Devil is pulled up and attacked [roll2] for [roll3]

If successful, Devil uses his next round getting free of the webbing (the entire round - I'm saying he's last right now).

In either case, it's essentially using Devil as a living shield this round. Attacks are at disadvantage and will hit the wolf if they roll 11 or lower.

Round 6 begins

Majin
2018-01-03, 01:44 PM

"Devil! Let him go, you confused mishmash of bugs!" Darrik wants to loose an arrow towards the monster right now, but decides to hold on until Devil gets out of the way.

Ready an action to shoot the monster when Devil gets out of the web.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-04, 03:21 AM

If it thinks it needs an extra shield, maybe it is close to death? I decide it would look bad to keep firing while there is a risk of hitting Darrik's animal companion, so instead I try to pull Devil free using magical wind.

Don't know if this will work, since I'm pulling against sticky webs with only a cantrip... Casting gust to try to push Devil out of the monster's grip.

It'd be a DC 13 strength save for the monster.

Gorgon_Heap
2018-01-04, 12:30 PM
Monster's save - [roll0]

If it fails, Devil is free immediately not interfering with anyone else this round, but must make a DC 10 Dex save or land head-first for [roll1]

Dex save - [roll2]

Monster held on, so Devil is still wriggling free until the end of the round. That was a good thought though, Ninja. If you don't have it, take Inspiration.

JadedDM
2018-01-04, 06:22 PM
Not wishing to harm Devil, Jason doesn't take any chances and simply waits for an opportunity where he can attack without harming the wolf.

Fishybugs
2018-01-05, 10:07 AM

Tarina sighs, then takes a big breath in as she centers herself. She looks to Darrik, then back to Devil. "Mishakal, please help Devil get free so we can defeat this creature of darkness."

Casting Resistance on Devil. I've never used this cantrip before. Ever. In any game. We'll see how it goes.

Devil gets "a d4 and add the number rolled to one saving throw of its choice. It can roll the die before or after making the saving throw."

Gorgon_Heap
2018-01-10, 02:49 PM
Round 5

After long and scary heartbeats, a whining and struggling Devil finally twists himself free and drops to the ground, landing more or less on his feet. His fur is blotched with sticky patches and immediately runs, tail between his legs, out into the other cave...

Gorgon_Heap
2018-01-10, 02:53 PM
... furious and wounded, it strikes out at Jason again. If it's got a thinking mind, it's agitation and pain have overcome good sense, and it merely wants to hurt the biggest target.

Round 6 begins

Majin
2018-01-10, 03:14 PM

Darrik lets out a sigh of relief as Devil gets out of the creatures grasp. Better let the poor canine catch his breath, getting caught didn't look like something even Darrik would want to try. Maybe.

Darrik keeps firing his arrows at the beast. It looked hurt, but Darrik couldn't tell if they'd seriously wounded or just annoyed it.

Attack the monster: [roll0]

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-10, 03:27 PM

Ah, I was worried the wolf would never get free. "The monster has dropped its guard - now is our chance to strike!"

Better go with my strongest attack, having said that. Chromatic orb.

Damage: [roll1] lightning

JadedDM
2018-01-11, 10:33 PM
Severely bloodied and wishing he was carrying a shield instead of a torch, Jason strikes at the creature once more in hopes of ending this...before it ends him.

Attack roll [roll0]
Damage roll [roll1]

Fishybugs
2018-01-16, 12:04 PM

Tarina shakes her head. The fire demons weren't even this tough to take down. Or at least, she didn't think they were....she missed a bit of that combat after being trampled by horses, after all. She swings her mace again at the creepy-crawler.

Attack roll: [roll0] for [roll1] damage

Gorgon_Heap
2018-01-16, 04:15 PM
Round 6

Jason lands a heavy blow, cutting deeply into the creature's exoskeleton. Already dripping from several smaller wounds, it now pours freely. It shrieks again, scrambling left to right, looking for a way out and seeing none, it backs into the corner and lashes out at everything, snapping it great pincers at Jason's sword, head, and arms...

Majin
2018-01-17, 01:10 PM

"Devil, you get back in here! The monster's almost down", Darrik shouts into the other cave, and keeps shooting the creature. It did look like it was on its last legs.

Devil rushes back to attack the beast.

Attack: [roll2]

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-17, 02:15 PM

I follow up on Darrik's attacks, just to make sure it won't get back up, whatever that monster is.

Almost out of magic, so it'll be a fire bolt this time.

Gorgon_Heap
2018-01-17, 03:08 PM
Darrick's arrow pierces the creature's shrieking mouth and plunges deep into its body. It drops to the floor with a clatter and twitches horridly, a strange scent coming from its wounds and the pool now on the floor.

You each receive 675 xp for the last several encounters.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-17, 03:45 PM
"Is it over?" I say, lowering my wand slightly. To those who had been up close to the creature: "are you hurt badly? I would prefer to retreat to the surface and come back tomorrow, but perhaps we could rest here if you are not fit to walk. I doubt any other monsters would come near the lair of that thing, and we would only have to watch one entrance."

In the meantime, I will approach the creature and take a close look at it. I wonder where it came from, this hybrid of spider and scorpion - is it a monster created in the laboratory of a mad wizard, or something more natural? Can I tell how old it is, or what it has been eating (besides dwarven surveyors)? Does any part of the corpse appear to be salvageable for commercial purposes, such as its venom sacs or exoskeleton? I am careful not to get any of its haemolymph on my hands though, in case it is poisonous.

I'm thinking... Intelligence (Nature)? [roll0]. If it could be considered Arcana or Investigation, I have an extra +2 in that. My Survival modifier is the same as Nature, if the salvaging part falls under that.

Gorgon_Heap
2018-01-17, 04:08 PM
Taking a half-hour or so to carefully examine the thing in whatever light she can conjure, Sorawyl finds no poison sacks or anything more dangerous than it was when alive. She notes the smell of the blood and realizes she absolutely has read about it in her alchemy lessons. The creature is called a cave fisher, and its blood is cherished for any number of reasons because it's flammable. Why, sometimes collecting the stuff is difficult because most people find it easier to set the creature on fire once it's bleeding than to try fighting it to the death.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-17, 05:04 PM
I share this with the group. "The smell of the blood reminded me of something I read... had the book been illustrated I might have recognised it earlier. It is valuable to alchemists, apparently."

Would the blood be more valuable than standard ink (10gp/fl. oz.)? In terms of containers, Sora only has an ink bottle and a waterskin on her person, but she'd be happy to empty them out if it's possible to gather up some blood.
I suppose the next order of business is the remains of the dwarf. Have my companions been doing anything with him while I was examining the cave fisher?

JadedDM
2018-01-17, 09:55 PM
Jason plops down on the ground to rest, and does so while Sora investigates the creature. "That was...some ordeal," he says, breathless.

I'm going to spend my last two hit dice to heal up.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Fishybugs
2018-01-19, 02:53 AM
Tarina nods in agreement with Jason. "Crazy. Can we get back to the surface, you think, with the dwarf in tow?"

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-19, 03:53 AM
"Well, we have to try, do we not? It is half of the reason we came down here.

As I was saying before that monster attacked, we could probably lash together a makeshift stretcher from my tent, to make easier to carry him."

Majin
2018-01-19, 02:54 PM
Darrik starts rummaging through his packs. "So, I've got some rope here, let's see...". Darrik starts crafting the stretcher.

Crafting roll: [roll0]. +3 if dexterity can be used.

Fishybugs
2018-01-19, 09:58 PM

Tarina takes in all the supplies. She thinks back to seeing soldiers carried into the temple and thinks they could create a sling out of the equipment they have.

"Okay guys...so let's lay him out on top of the tent material, then affix the tent poles to the side. Think they'll support his weight? We could make a sling that Jason and I could carry out." She considers the weight of the dwarf versus the material of the tent poles.. "Maybe we could take off his armor and put it in one of your packs? Or maybe tie it up in rope and have Devil drag it out?'

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-20, 05:46 AM
"Maybe we could take off his armor and put it in one of your packs? Or maybe tie it up in rope and have Devil drag it out?'

"That is probably wise. It will also give us a chance to search him to see if he has anything that would be relevant to the other reason we came down here." I set to removing the heavier parts of the dwarf's gear, cutting them (and any of the cave fisher's filaments that may be present) off with my letter-opener if they won't come willingly.

While I am doing this, I am searching through his pockets and bags, to see what notes he might have taken about the caves before he died. I'm not really an expert in geological surveying, so I'm sure it would be useful to know how a professional would approach the task.

Gorgon_Heap
2018-01-24, 01:51 PM
The dwarf is lighter than expected (lacking any fluids) but is still a dwarf, and removing his gear is a good idea. The cool temperature in the cave protected him from much decomposition. Heavy but well-worn leather plates are unbuckled or cut free and tossed aside. His equipment is a complete set - almost as if he had a long checklist of "adventuring gear" and came prepared for anything. Well, almost anything.

He has several knives, a sturdy hand ax, and a crossbow.

He has a small notebook carefully wrapped in heavy cloth under his vest. It's written with a piece of graphite in Dwarven, but Tarina is familiar enough with the language to get by. His name was Borrik Ironfire. It's mostly full of personal notes and musings - things he's observed in strange cavers and what sort of spirits or soups he thinks he could make with certain mushrooms and fungi. His notes near the end, about this particular cave system, carefully notes the flora and fauna (including his observation of a large hibernating bear) and the substrata makeup of the rock - none of which Tarina can pronounce even when translated. The only item of real interest is his surprise at the length of the cavern and that he suspects it will eventually lead much closer to the top of the mountain (i.e.; your employer's property), though somebody would have surely seen an opening up there at some point.

JadedDM
2018-01-24, 08:16 PM
After having rested and caught his breath, Jason gets to his feet. "Alright, let's get this fellow out of here, so he can be put to proper rest. And rest up ourselves." He agrees to help carry the corpse out, if someone else will take over holding the torch in his stead.

Fishybugs
2018-01-24, 09:34 PM

Tarina grabs the other end of the makeshift litter and helps Jason carry out the dwarf. "I wonder if he has any family," she wonders aloud as they walk out. "Do you think they'll track them down?"

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-25, 02:46 AM
I'll take Jason's torch and lead the way out.

"I am sure he must have someone. Dwarves usually have large families, do they not?" Unless I'm getting them mixed up with clans...

As we go, I ask: "so, Ironfire seemed to think that the caves continue upwards. What do you suppose that might mean?"

Majin
2018-01-25, 02:42 PM
"Yeah, I wouldn't mind resting for a while. And Devil needs a..." Darrik glances at Devil and whispers. "... bath."

I'll take Jason's torch and lead the way out.

"I am sure he must have someone. Dwarves usually have large families, do they not?" Unless I'm getting them mixed up with clans...

As we go, I ask: "so, Ironfire seemed to think that the caves continue upwards. What do you suppose that might mean?"

"Uhh, they don't go down? Also maybe there's like secret entrance or something. Maybe there are some secrets hidden here... I think we should check the rest of this place out tomorrow."

Fishybugs
2018-01-27, 02:01 PM

Tarina grunts as she carries the encased dwarven form. Listening to the others, she ponders for a few moments. She understands that kenders have a unique view on "ownership" and wondered how to phrase this in a manner Darrik may understand. "This whole mountain already belongs to someone, Darrik. Anything we found in here would just go to him."

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-27, 02:12 PM
Tarina has touched on what I was getting at. "That is the thing though, darling. This mountain belongs to someone who is likely familiar with its external features - if there is another entrance at the top, it would be near the house. Carmine would surely know about it." I pause for effect. "It makes me think he is hiding something from us.

Do you recall (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22168762&postcount=1439), inside the house? It seemed that the lower level was dug into the mountain. I rather suspect that these caves connect to the basement, somehow. In which case, why did we come all the way down here to explore them?"

JadedDM
2018-01-27, 09:20 PM
"Presumably because of the danger involved," Jason replies. "He did say he wondered how deep the caverns went, which is why he hired the dwarf here."

Majin
2018-01-28, 06:35 AM
Tarina grunts as she carries the encased dwarven form. Listening to the others, she ponders for a few moments. She understands that kenders have a unique view on "ownership" and wondered how to phrase this in a manner Darrik may understand. "This whole mountain already belongs to someone, Darrik. Anything we found in here would just go to him."

"Oh yeah, of course. I mean, if I found something interesting here, I'd only borrow it for a while, and hand it back on first opportunity."

"Well if you can go from these caves to their basement, they're lucky if there haven't been any unwanted visitors so far. I'm kind of worried about these swarms, I wonder if there's something here that's causing them..." Darrik says, frowning.

Did I do any knowledge check about swarms? Darrik is trying to remember what could be causing them. Nature, I guess? [roll0]

Gorgon_Heap
2018-01-28, 09:58 AM
Darrik is absolutely sure these swarms are not completely natural. Normal creatures simply don't act with such single-minded viciousness without being compelled in some way. However, is a big, crazy world, so there could be a number of causes. A spell, several kinds of monster, or even some subtle feature of the land itself could be behind it.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-01-30, 03:35 PM
"they're lucky if there haven't been any unwanted visitors so far."

"But what if... there have? What if Carmine knows this place is full to the brim with monsters?" I realise at this point that I'm letting myself get carried away, and rein myself in. "Well, I am sure the truth will out, one way or another.

Right now, we should probably think about what to do with the late Master Ironfire. Presumably he will need some kind of... preservation... if we are to deliver him safely to his final rest?" I direct this towards the cleric of Mishakal, figuring she would know more about this than anyone else here.

Fishybugs
2018-01-30, 04:18 PM

Tarina contemplates the corpse she is helping Jason carry. "I'm pretty sure Master Ironfire is beyond anything I may be able to muster. I don't think he'll decompose much more over the next day, seeing as how he's all drained of all of his fluids." Her lip curls up a bit as she mentioned the fluids, but then considers it's not much different than what the priests do in preparing a body for burial.

Gorgon_Heap
2018-02-01, 02:47 PM
Outside ...

Already tired and beaten, you do not enjoy the return trip to the mansion. You lug the heavy dwarf and his gear through hundreds of yards of twisting tunnels and then back out onto a frozen, windy mountainside. Retracing your steps is easy enough for Darrik, but you are bode-weary by the time you arrive at the rear entrance and knock on the door.

Carmine's butler is shocked not only at your arrival, but your condition. The man himself arrives minutes later, his face a mix of anxiety at the dwarf's corpse and pleasure at your swift return.

"My goodness! You look terrible. Was there a cave-in?"

It's now near sunset. Please roll Con checks.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-02-01, 05:34 PM
I give him a stony look. "I would think you would have felt the tremors if there had been a cave in, my lord - or at least your good butler here, if you were out during the day. No, there was no cave in. Your tunnels are full of monsters, hence the unfortunate fate of Master Ironfire."

I continue before he can reply. "In any case, we have explored as far as our stamina will allow for today. We shall be requiring a meal and somewhere to spend the night, that we may continue the survey and monster clearance in the morning, if it please you."

[roll0]

JadedDM
2018-02-01, 10:49 PM
"There might be something supernatural going on in there," Jason adds. "It was like...something was driving every living thing in there to hostility. More than just creatures defending their territory. I've never seen anything like it before."

[roll0]

Gorgon_Heap
2018-02-02, 01:29 PM
Carmine is surprised by your desire to stay in his home, and doesn't look happy about it, but doesn't make anything of it either. "Well, you're here and you found the dwarf far faster than I thought you would. Given your collective condition I can hardly fault your desire for a night spent in safety. Full of monsters? Just as well you're clearing the cave out, then, as we can't have them awaiting innocents. Though ... one of my neighbors lost a prized hunting hound just a week ago ..."

He orders his doorman to see you all get blankets and hot tea right around his main fireplace in this large common hall, and that the dwarf is carried outside to a shed to remain in the cold.

JadedDM
2018-02-03, 08:48 PM
Once they are alone, Jason says to Sorawyl, "Are you sure you want to stay here, in his house? I thought you didn't trust him?"

Ninja_Prawn
2018-02-04, 04:45 AM
To Jason: "well, it is a long way back into the centre of town, and I am not in the mood to pay for a carriage. Besides, do they not say to 'keep your friends close, but your enemies closer'? This is an opportunity to find out what he is hiding.

And if I am wrong, what do we lose?"

Majin
2018-02-04, 11:46 AM
And if I am wrong, what do we lose?"[/COLOR][/B]

"Well, I guess it would be pretty easy to get away with murder now that we're in his house", Darrik says nonchalantly and sips his tea. "I don't think he's going to do that though. Probably wants us to go back into the cave anyway."

Con checks:
Darrik: [roll0]
Devil: [roll1]

"I could go check the place, but I'm feeling kinda tired..." Darrik yawns.

Fishybugs
2018-02-04, 04:01 PM

Tarina nods in agreement with everyone. "I guess there's nothing to it but get some sleep and get back to it tomorrow. Maybe grab a good breakfast from Carmine's kitchen before we head out?"

JadedDM
2018-02-05, 12:42 AM
"Does that mean you want to set a watch for the night?" Jason asks Sorawyl. "Guess I'll go first then."

Ninja_Prawn
2018-02-05, 04:14 AM
"Does that mean you want to set a watch for the night?"

"Exactly," I confirm, "and I shall take the last watch, since I will need to wake up early to prepare my spells."

Fishybugs
2018-02-05, 10:40 AM

Tarina moves in closer to her friends. Though there isn't anyone else around to overhear, she speaks in a voice just above a whisper. "A watch? You really think that's necessary?"

JadedDM
2018-02-05, 12:08 PM
"In all honesty, I do not," Jason says to Tarina. "But if it will give Sorawyl peace of mind, there's no harm in it. And if she happens to be right, it's better to be safe than sorry."

Fishybugs
2018-02-05, 12:19 PM

Tarina nods her head at Jason's comments. "I suppose that's true." She works her way out of her armor and fluffs the blankets around the fire before offering her nightly prayers to Mishakal and snuggling into the blankets.

Ninja_Prawn
2018-02-05, 12:38 PM
I am thankful that they are taking my concerns seriously. I hope that I am wrong, of course, but one has to prepare for the worst. As a wizard, perhaps I feel this more keenly than certain others.

Gorgon_Heap
2018-02-05, 01:34 PM
You all sleep very soundly. In fact, you are unable to wake Darrik for his shift, though Devil does sit up until he becomes bored and falls back asleep.

In the morning you are all stiff and achey, but rested enough. Carmine sleeps in, it seems, and joins you well after a cook has provided you with a nourishing breakfast of ham and buttered cakes. "You all look marginally better. I don't want to push you out the door, but I had no idea there was a threat here on the mountaintop. Searching the cavern is one thing, but I worry about the danger - to my neighbors and myself. What was it you encountered, and why do you think it's never made itself known to us?"

Ninja_Prawn
2018-02-05, 01:49 PM
I'm glad we survived the night, at least. I resign myself to answer Carmine's questions.

"The monsters we encountered mostly seemed to be opportunistic beasts. A bear, giant insects, swarms of bats and so on. Master Ironfire was killed by a cave fisher - that is why his body is partially desiccated. There were also some rather sinister creatures that seemed to create magical darkness when they attacked. I would need to do some reading to puzzle out what exactly they were.

Individually, I would not have been surprised to encounter them in such a cave, but we were finding hostile creatures in almost every chamber, and Master Proudfoot, our ranger here, believes there may be something inspiring them to greater violence. We have yet to determine what that might be; I hope to learn more today.

I cannot say why these monsters 'never made themselves known'. Although one could argue that the loss of your neighbour his hound might count for that. Out of interest, does your basement extend into the mountain? Have you ever noticed any strange goings on down there?"

Portent rolls: [roll0] & [roll1] Guess I had some pretty disturbing dreams. No surprise there.

Preparing detect magic instead of detect thoughts.

Gorgon_Heap
2018-02-05, 02:27 PM
Carmine is genuinely surprised and unnerved by the presence of dangerous magic creatures so close to home. Of course, his fear may be especially strong given he almost certainly has zero experience with any sort of danger at all, let alone magical monsters.

"My home extends into cellars, yes. But nothing extending deep into the mountainside." A pause between sentences feels like he maybe crafted the statement specifically to answer the question while not divulging something.

Majin
2018-02-05, 02:42 PM
Apparently the night had gone quietly. At least Darrik hopes so, because if he slept through assassins trying to attack them and missed the whole thing, he'd be really annoyed.

--

"Yeah, definitely something odd going on there, and I really would like to know what. You know, holy duty and all that", Darrik says to Carmine and waves his holy symbol. "You know, maybe we should check the basement out, just in case. Maybe there's some hole or a small tunnel in there, and before you know it, a swarm of centipedes has taken over your manor." If there was something secret in the basement, Darrik really would want to know.

Persuasion: [roll0]

Ninja_Prawn
2018-02-05, 02:43 PM
"Yes, might we... see in your cellars, before we return to the caves?" I ask. "Even if they do not penetrate far, they are still part of the mountain. There could be important clues in there."

Majn ninja'd me there, but can I give him Help on the check, by couching the request in more high-class language?

Gorgon_Heap
2018-02-05, 02:59 PM
Carmine frowns. "That's not necessary. Both I and my staff have chambers down there, and I can certainly say I prefer my privacy and if there were monsters literally under my bed, I would know of it." He sighs. "I've offered you good compensation and taken you into my home. I do have a single small escape tunnel in case of an emergency, but it only leads to safety nearby, not drilling down into the mountain. What would be safe about that? Now, please continue as we agreed. As you've already found the dwarf, if you insist on invading my privacy or refuse to continue exploring the cavern, I can hire someone else.

Lastly, I'm disappointed in this line of suspicion. I was told you were trustworthy and professional and hired you in good faith."

Ninja_Prawn
2018-02-05, 03:22 PM
I fail to see how our being trustworthy necessarily implies that he is trustworthy. And surely a professional (which, admittedly, we aren't) would leave no stone unturned in order to fully complete their task? What would be the point of clearing the caves if there is something in the manor that will lure fresh monsters in? I am definitely more suspicious of Carmine than I was before.

Still, he's right that he could just dismiss us, and I would hate to leave a job unfinished. I sense a mystery, so I will not stop until I get to the bottom of it. "My apologies, sir. We merely wish to ensure that your home is made safe for the long term; as professionals, it is our duty not only to remove the monsters, but also to prevent new ones from taking their place.

But, as you say, the caverns must be explored. We shall get underway shortly."

JadedDM
2018-02-05, 10:06 PM
Feeling much better now, Jason says to Carmine, "Don't worry, we'll take care of whatever else is down there. Hopefully we already took care of most of the danger, and today will be easier." He absently makes the infinity symbol on his chest for good luck, an old habit when asking for Mishakal's protection. "Let's move out then," he says to the others.