PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PFS - GM credit character: is Lore Warden/Blade Adept/Eldritch Knight worth it?

Arkhios
2017-08-08, 12:57 PM
Ok, so. I've ran PFS scenarios and accumulated enough GM credits to start the aforementioned character from 3rd level, and I'm basically inquiring insights whether the following build is worth it or whether I should tweak a thing or two.

To elaborate, here's the whole idea:

Start with 1 level of Lore Warden (Fighter archetype from Pathfinder Society Field Guide).
Next get the requisite of access to 3rd level arcane spells with 6 levels of Blade Adept (Arcanist archetype from Advanced Class Guide).
Continue with Eldritch Knight.
If the character ever gets that high level, cap Eldritch Knight, and take the rest in Arcanist.

Ability Scores:
Str 12, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 7 (Human racial +2 Dexterity)

1st level (Lore Warden 1): Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus — Longsword, Slashing Grace — Longsword
2nd level (Blade Adept 1): Sword Bond
3rd level (Blade Adept 2): Combat Casting
4th level (Blade Adept 3): Sentient Sword, +1 Dex (18)
5th level (Blade Adept 4): Uncanny Concentration
6th level (Blade Adept 5): Arcanist Exploit (Spell Strike)
7th level (Blade Adept 6): Extra Exploit (Eldritch Blade)
8th level (Eldritch Knight 1): Bonus Combat Feat (Arcane Strike), Diverse Training, +1 Int (17)
9th level (Eldritch Knight 2): Extra Exploit (See Magic)
10th level (Eldritch Knight 3): —
11th level (Eldritch Knight 4): Extra Exploit (Metamagic Knowledge — Intensified)
12th level (Eldritch Knight 5): Bonus Combat Feat (Weapon Specialization — Longsword), +1 Int (18)

Kurald Galain
2017-08-08, 01:50 PM
Since you're capping at level 12, the answer is no, not really.

Go for the Magus class instead. It does everything you want in a tighter package, gets the same BAB and spell levels, better hit points and saving throws, and actual gish-related class features. Eldritch Knight may win once he gets 7th level spells, but in PFS levels that'll never happen.

Psyren
2017-08-08, 02:05 PM
Seconding Kurald - and specifically, you want the Bladebound archetype for the Magus so that you get the same talking sword, if that's what your concept is going for anyway.

Blade Adept is inferior for several reasons:

1) Can't cast and attack in the same round
2) Can't cast in armor
3) No spell level advantage in PFS
4) Spellstrike is hella delayed (5th at the earliest)

Arkhios
2017-08-08, 02:19 PM
Hmm. I guess those are all fair points, but there's one thing though... I've hated the "spell per spell-slot" preparation crap pretty much ever since 5th edition came out. So, if I'll be making an arcane caster who prepares his spells, it's going to be arcanist. Blade Adept felt cool enough to try and make an eldritch knight, but it's not a must. Also, while indeed Blade Adept is unable to cast in armor, wearing armor was never my intention. I was aiming for a more mage-like character, with a sword and being surprisingly good with it.

Also, while not the character's inspiration, I found it funny and can kinda relate:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/92/6c/25/926c25f7941605c990cb88ff3e5af48a--dungeons-and-dragons-nerdy-things.jpg

Kurald Galain
2017-08-08, 02:54 PM
Hmm. I guess those are all fair points, but there's one thing though... I've hated the "spell per spell-slot" preparation crap pretty much ever since 5th edition came out.
That's why the Magus has the Spell Recall ability.

(there's also two archetypes that make him a spontaneous caster, if you're so inclined).

Arkhios
2017-08-08, 03:19 PM
That's why the Magus has the Spell Recall ability.

(there's also two archetypes that make him a spontaneous caster, if you're so inclined).

I think you misunderstood me though. I like the way Arcanist's spellcasting works. It's very similar to 5th edition, which has the best spellcasting in any edition of D&D (and its spin-offs) I've played so far.
I want the character to be more wizard-like, being able to prepare his spells in advance, and change them the next day if need be. But I also don't want to prepare same spell multiple times and in doing so, potentially regret I didn't prepare another spell I need in a situation X.

Also, Magus 12 does not gain same level of spells as the Lore Warden 1/Arcanist 6/Eldritch Knight 5 does.

Magus 12 gains up to 4th level spells, while the other gains up to 5th level spells.

Psyren
2017-08-08, 04:35 PM
I think the lost action economy will hamper you more than the preparation method but it's your decision. Prestigious Spellcaster can get you up to 6ths but I think you need a chronicle for it.

Kurald Galain
2017-08-08, 04:50 PM
Also, Magus 12 does not gain same level of spells as the Lore Warden 1/Arcanist 6/Eldritch Knight 5 does.
Magus gets his 2nd level spells a level earlier, 2nd attack a level earlier, and spellstrike five levels earlier. You did mention "If the character ever gets that high level", suggesting you'll be playing mostly at low-ish levels.

Anyway if you want build advice: your strength doesn't do anything for you, so drop it to 7 or 8 in favor of more dex. Since you don't have spell combat, you don't need to spend two feats on concentration (probably neither of them, really). Also, See Magic isn't all that useful. Instead, look into Dimensonal Slide, Potent Magic, and Arcane Weapon exploits, and at higher level the Dimensional Agility feat.

Most of the Magus Handbook (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus) also applies to the EK.

Arkhios
2017-08-09, 03:18 AM
Magus gets his 2nd level spells a level earlier, 2nd attack a level earlier, and spellstrike five levels earlier. You did mention "If the character ever gets that high level", suggesting you'll be playing mostly at low-ish levels.

Anyway if you want build advice: your strength doesn't do anything for you, so drop it to 7 or 8 in favor of more dex. Since you don't have spell combat, you don't need to spend two feats on concentration (probably neither of them, really). Also, See Magic isn't all that useful. Instead, look into Dimensonal Slide, Potent Magic, and Arcane Weapon exploits, and at higher level the Dimensional Agility feat.

Most of the Magus Handbook (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?423754-Myrrh-Frankincense-and-Steel-Kurald-Galain-s-Guide-to-the-Magus) also applies to the EK.

I suppose I'll just drop the Blade Adept and Eldritch Knight altogether. It was just an idea I had on a whim. Arcanist is the core of the concept, not being "the ultimate gish".

I did mention if I ever get that far, but it was just me being extra cautious. There are quite a few scenarios available even above 12th level so it's a "never say never" kind of thing, really.

But I see the issue. 2nd level spells being already delayed by one level compared to a wizard is a bit rough, being delayed for yet another level is quite bad. BAB and second attack delay would've been a no-issue for me, although it is a delay nonetheless.

Florian
2017-08-09, 03:31 AM
I suppose I'll just drop the Blade Adept and Eldritch Knight altogether. It was just an idea I had on a whim. Arcanist is the core of the concept, not being "the ultimate gish".

Better this way. Arcanist is imho one over the most enjoyable arcane casters around and has a lot of potential. Personally, I like the Magaambyan Arcanist route for the sheer flexibility it offers.

Arkhios
2017-08-09, 05:04 AM
Better this way. Arcanist is imho one over the most enjoyable arcane casters around and has a lot of potential. Personally, I like the Magaambyan Arcanist route for the sheer flexibility it offers.

I have my reasons (character concept is older than pathfinder), but I've been eyeballing Blood Arcanist with Arcane Bloodline. Bonded weapon would be neat, but so would a Familiar.

Also, for the same reason, See Magic was a flavor decision, not a power-creep decision