PDA

View Full Version : MAD Mage Help

Healex02
2017-08-08, 01:02 PM
My character concept is a bit MAD (in both senses.) This build is aimed to be the master of cantrips and get as many ritual spells as possible for minimal effort.
My character starts as a warlock, takes 2 levels of Illusion Wizard, and the rest is Warlock.

For sake of background, I am going with the Sage background, and I will be using a Forest Gnome. (This gains me minor illusion from the beginning.)
(For reference: I could have 15 Charisma; 14 Constitution, Dexterity, and Intelligence; 10 Wisdom; and 8 Strength with a standard stat array. My DM hasn't told how my group is rolling up stats so I like to use the standard array as as a baseline.)

I'm posting to ask for help on 2 turning points, and for spell advice.
The first turning point is the choice of Patron. Namely, I am torn between Great Old One and Fey. The second turning point is deciding whether to start wizard at level 3 or level 4, as we will be starting play at level 3.

As for spells, the first 2 levels of Warlock will gain me the following spells: Eldritch Blast, Prestidigitation, and Hex. As for invocations, the plan is to take Agonizing Blast & Eyes of the Rune Keeper. In these 2 levels, I need help figuring out the other 2 first level spells.

The first level of (Illusion) Wizard will gain me the spells: Light, Mage Hand, Shocking Grasp, Disguise Self, Feather Fall, & Shield. Also, the following *rituals would be added to my spell list: Alarm, Detect Magic, & Identify.

The second level of Illusion Wizard would add the School of Illusion, which adds Message, Mage armor, & the ritual, "Tenser's Floating Disk" to my toolbox of spells.

In the third level of Warlock, I would take the Pact of the Tome. With this, Eyes of the Rune Keeper would be traded in for Book of Ancient Secrets. For cantrips, I will probably take Guidance, Thamaturgy, and Vicious Mockery. As for rituals, the aim is for Comprehend Languages, and *Find Familiar.
The main thing I want help with here is what level 2 Warlock spell to take.

* In the case that I start Wizard at level 3, I want to take Find Familiar earlier, but I am not sure what other rituals I want to delay.

Tl;Dr: I need 2 warlock spells of first level (other than Hex), 1 warlock spells of second level, and I need help deciding on my Patron. Otherwise, do I start in Wizard at level 3, or level 4?

Thanks ahead of time for your help and advice!

Edit: The spells are to be PHB only. No SCAG spells or alternative patrons.