PDA

View Full Version : Is there a feat/skill use for this?

Yogibear41
2017-08-08, 05:06 PM
Is there a feat or use of a skill, maybe bluff/sleight of hand, that allows a spellcaster to appear like he is casting a different type of spell (arcane to divine or viceversa)

For example say I have a bard who is trying to masquerade as a cleric using his healing magic to help convince people. But for anyone with a trained eye they should be able to tell he is using arcane magic and not divine, is there a feat that can help mask the fact that his spells are arcane and not divine?

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-08-08, 05:24 PM
There is the Skill trick that allows you to make it look like you aren't cast a spell. Conceal Spellcasting pg85

Waker
2017-08-08, 05:39 PM
It's not in line with your example, but Disguise Spell from CAdv also allows a Bard to cast spells while disguising it as just music.

flappeercraft
2017-08-08, 05:51 PM
A regular pumped up bluff check with Glibness should be enough

Yogibear41
2017-08-08, 05:55 PM
I wonder if Spell Thematic with a theme of "divine" would work.

DEMON
2017-08-08, 06:08 PM
There is the Skill trick that allows you to make it look like you aren't cast a spell. Conceal Spellcasting pg85

There's also False Theurgy skill trick, which should technically be able to do the trick.

If we agree that divine "whatever spell you're casting" is a different spell from arcane "whatever spell you're casting", that is.

KillianHawkeye
2017-08-08, 07:32 PM
Shouldn't Bluff be enough on its own?

Cure light wounds has a verbal and somatic component regardless of if it's being cast by a Bard or a Cleric. And you only need one hand free to perform somatic components, so nothing's stopping you from also waving around a holy symbol. I guess somebody might catch on if you try to cast one of the spells that lets you substitute a divine focus for the material component, but you can either use glibness to explain it away or just not cast those spells in front of real Clerics.

Basically, 99% of people won't be able to tell the difference. You'll need to be careful and do some extra planning if you want to fool someone who's knowledgeable about divine magic, but otherwise just use Bluff. Don't try to do anything crazy like pretend to be the high priest or convince the King to hire you as his personal chaplain.

Hiro Quester
2017-08-08, 07:34 PM
You could use the Disguise spell feat (very useful for bards who want to cast while performing to win friends and influence people, without people noticing you are casting).

You could pretend your song is a divine prayer to your obscure god of healing and music, then.

Edit: Or you could just be a divine bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantDivineBard) .

Yogibear41
2017-08-08, 09:55 PM
Edit: Or you could just be a divine bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantDivineBard) .

No go on that one, in our campaign divine magic can only be granted by deities and their minions(based on spell level, with the exception of 1st and 2nd level spells which can be utilized through training alone, its a rule from 1st edition) and this particular character is a cohort I am working on for a character who is trying to become a deity or at least a demigod, basically said character can't grant spells (yet) but by having people think he can will help bolster his followers and get him closer to his goal, hence the "fake cleric" plan.

Technically I could use the actual cleric class, but wouldn't be able to utilize any spells higher than 2nd level, until my character got enough power to start granting higher level spells, which in the long run might be a better idea, but /shrug who knows.

Bullet06320
2017-08-09, 01:03 AM
sleight of hand skill in Dragon Magazine 319 pg 44, new use allows concealing of spellcasting vs spot check

the only way to tell the difference is between arcane or divine would be a spellcraft check, just use bluff and say its divine if anyone actually asks