PDA

View Full Version : Death Cleric Weak?

j_spencer93
2017-08-08, 07:20 PM
Ok...so for the first time i have been told the Death Cleric is weaker then the other cleric options. I had always heard up until now the DM options were stronger then the PHB options. Is the Death cleric that bad?

Naanomi
2017-08-08, 07:26 PM
It isn't terrible; but doesn't make much use of its weapon proficiencies and none of its spells are spectacular. Playable, better on average than say 'Trickery', but not impressive either

DracoKnight
2017-08-08, 07:27 PM
Ok...so for the first time i have been told the Death Cleric is weaker then the other cleric options. I had always heard up until now the DM options were stronger then the PHB options. Is the Death cleric that bad?

Oathbreaker is head-and-shoulders above all other Paladin Oaths. But I've always felt that the Death Domain was on par with the other Domains.

j_spencer93
2017-08-08, 07:29 PM
Looking it over it seems to be on par with them...just never heard anyone say its worse...lol that really got me, was wondering if i missed something about it.

McNinja
2017-08-08, 09:16 PM
It isn't terrible; but doesn't make much use of its weapon proficiencies and none of its spells are spectacular. Playable, better on average than say 'Trickery', but not impressive either
I think it does use it's weapon proficiencies quite well, since the Channel Divinity for the subclass hits for insane amounts of static damage. 5 plus 2xCleric level is 45 damage at 20th level.

At 1st level, you can twin a necromancy cantrip (basically either spare the dying or chill touch, but since this subclass focuses on damage, probably chill touch).

At 6th level any necrotic damage you do ignores resistance.

At 8th you deal even more necrotic damage each hit.

At 14th you deal even more necro damage.

At 17th level you can twin any necromancy cleric spell between 1st and 5th level. That's pretty damn good.

Specter
2017-08-08, 10:14 PM
I would only give them heavy armor proficiency, so they get along better with STR builds.

j_spencer93
2017-08-08, 10:23 PM
Ok two things that get me are in the threat where i saw someone claim they were the weakest...they said its because nothing boost their primary way of dealing damage which is flat wrong. Also, can they really twin any necromancy spell?

Foxhound438
2017-08-08, 10:26 PM
the worst part about it is the anti-synergy. The dual target cantrip is a non-bo with the divine strike, which is already worse than potent cantrip (3d8+mod vs. 4d8+mod). The channel is maybe the best part of the class, but it's still less good than light cleric on average, dealing significantly less damage if there are 3 targets for radiance of the dawn- not hard considering its size. I wouldn't say it's "bad", but it's not the strongest cleric domain by a lot.

Potato_Priest
2017-08-08, 10:26 PM
Ok two things that get me are in the threat where i saw someone claim they were the weakest...they said its because nothing boost their primary way of dealing damage which is flat wrong. Also, can they really twin any necromancy spell?

Only cantrips, I'm afraid.

Specter
2017-08-08, 10:27 PM

Just by twinning a cantrip forever, you get the most sustained damage of any cleric. Period.

As for spells, they can those up to 5th level, so unfortunaly no twinning Harm (which would be very, ahem... HARMFUL).

MeeposFire
2017-08-08, 10:35 PM
If there was a weapon type cantrip that did necrotic damage and was a necromancy spell then it would be really liked. It is just too bad that the weapon based domain gets an ability based around cantrips.

Foxhound438
2017-08-08, 10:43 PM
Just by twinning a cantrip forever, you get the most sustained damage of any cleric. Period.

As for spells, they can those up to 5th level, so unfortunaly no twinning Harm (which would be very, ahem... HARMFUL).

only when you have 2 things standing next to each other all the time. In any other case you're behind. Period.

Specter
2017-08-08, 10:51 PM
only when you have 2 things standing next to each other all the time. In any other case you're behind. Period.

Ok, when you have two opponents close to each other, you win. But how exactly are you behind other clerics, instead of on par with them?

Lord Ruby34
2017-08-08, 10:59 PM
I've been playing one with UA allowed, and twinning Toll the Bell feels pretty dirty, and even when your class features aren't working out perfectly you're still a cleric, a perfectly serviceable class even without any subclass features.

Also, the channel divinity works on a melee attack, not a melee weapon attack, which can be pretty cute with say, vampiric touch.

j_spencer93
2017-08-08, 11:20 PM
Yea still not seeing how they are weak. Actually this just makes me want to make one as an NPC lmao.

Joe the Rat
2017-08-09, 01:32 PM
When our death cleric stops playing wannabe alchemist and gets his harbinger of doom on, he can put out some solid damage numbers. Sitting at 8th level, it's generally a three-way competition between him, the Paladin, and the Eldritch Knight (who gets a major assist from a flametongue). With the short rest recovery on the Channel Divinity, he's the medium-endurance smasher.

The one thing it doesn't do as well is be a necromancer. We've been doing a little mix-and-match with Necromancy Wizard features (trading anti-necrotic resistance for enhanced animations) to get that set right.

XmonkTad
2017-08-09, 02:20 PM
The one thing it doesn't do as well is be a necromancer. We've been doing a little mix-and-match with Necromancy Wizard features (trading anti-necrotic resistance for enhanced animations) to get that set right.

This surprises me. I was going to come here and talk about the death cleric having some very strong minionmancy, but hearing this I wonder if my assessment was off. What was giving your Death Cleric minion trouble, and how did enhanced animations fix it? Was the to-hit bonus for the zombies really too low to be effective or something?

Naanomi
2017-08-09, 02:24 PM
This surprises me. I was going to come here and talk about the death cleric having some very strong minionmancy, but hearing this I wonder if my assessment was off. What was giving your Death Cleric minion trouble, and how did enhanced animations fix it? Was the to-hit bonus for the zombies really too low to be effective or something?
They just don't have anything that supports minions that all clerics do not get already

jaappleton
2017-08-09, 02:34 PM
I played a Warforged Death Cleric, and absolutely loved it. I felt I was pretty damn strong.

After a shield and medium armor, with a Cloak of Protection, with +2 Dex, my AC was 19 at level 4. For a Cleric? That's pretty darn nice. I had no issues going to the front lines.

I also had permission to use the new cantrips from the Starter Spells article from Unearthed Arcana. This meant that I could use Toll the Dead and target two enemies, dealing 1d12 to each (2d12 each at lv5). I also had Hand of Radiance, dealing 1d6 (2d6 at lv5) to all enemies around me.

I went without weapons entirely, using cantrips and spells.

It was the most fun I had playing a Cleric, summoning Spiritual Weapon in the shape of a scythe that floated next to me.

I RPed it as a compassionless, emotionless being that simply felt everything dies at some point. It's a natural progression to not be feared, and will be painless so long as you don't upset the plans laid before you by _____ (whatever Death deity you want). If you DO attempt to circumvent those plans... It'll be quite painful. And slow, and agonizing.

DarkKnightJin
2017-08-09, 04:20 PM
One of the first characters I've put together in 5e was a Dragonborn Death Cleric (with a bit of inspiration from Charmander). Sword and Board because that's how I like it, and the Soldier background.

Never got to play him, yet.. But a friend saw the sheet and asked me if she could use him as an early-game BBEG in the campaign she was running.
The guy ended up with a Good *and* an Evil party on his literal tail.
I joked that the Evil party might be wanting to recruit him.
I also floated some ideas for encounters involving him, and I'm curious to learn how it all panned out.

From what I've heard, they kinda like him as the bad guy.