PDA

View Full Version : Spells to add bonus damage for a gish

danielxcutter
2017-08-08, 09:51 PM
I'm looking for gish-friendly spells that add on bonus damage. Yes, I know that the Polymorph line and the Wraithstrike + Power Attack combo probably add on far more damage, but I already know that. Also I'm kind of tired of that and I want to see if I can make so a gish build can deal enough damage without them.

Coretron03
2017-08-08, 10:37 PM
(Greater and Lesser) Energy Surge adds 1d6/2d6/3d6 damage (Pick your energy) to your attacks for a round, swift action casting. Level 2,3 and 6 spells for Lesser, Normal and Greater.

Blade of blood adds 1d6 damage (3d6 if you choose to take 5 damage) to one weapon attack. Last 1rds/level or until discharged, swift action cast.

Both are from Player's handbook 2.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-08-08, 11:04 PM
Greater Mighty Wallop is probably going to be your best choice. It increases a bludgeoning weapon's base damage by one size (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponSize) per four caster levels, up to colossal. At an hour/level and low enough to use a Lesser Rod of Extend, it's pretty much the go-to for buffing weapon damage.

Gruftzwerg
2017-08-08, 11:13 PM
any spell to fly: Diving Attack (charge) with slashing/piercing weapon for a total dmg multiplier of x2 (add valorous weapon for a total of x3).

and about which caster are we talking here? If it is just an overall thought exercise..

Body outside Body (wu-jen):
This is the gish multiplier spell. You get clones that are almost 100% identical (just can't cast spells and have lesser healthpoint and mundane items). This spell will enhance any kind of gish build, no matter how you build it.

Giant Size (wu-jen):
If you dislike the poly line, you should still consider a size boost up to colossal size for insane reach and Str bonus.

and you/we include warlock/DFA into your question/thoughts? :smallwink:

Hiro Quester
2017-08-09, 12:41 AM
A Thunderlance spell (SC) creates a weapon of pure force that does 3d6 damage, using your casting stat (INT or CHA, which ever is higher) instead of STR for attack and damage role.

Plus it's x3 on a critical hit. And it can be used two-handed, for Power Attack bonuses in addition.

It also gives you a threat range from 5- 20 ft (instantly expands and contracts as needed).

And being a weapon of pure force, it can dispel your opponent's mage amor or shield spell. It can probably also strike ethereal opponents.

WhamBamSam
2017-08-09, 09:39 AM
If you've got high CL and a lot of attacks Hunter's Eye is pretty great, albeit somewhat awkward to get for a lot of classes. Similarly, Ferocity of Sanguine Rage (that name though) gives respectable bonus damage under those conditions. Both are persistable as well, so that's nice.

Fuzzy McCoy
2017-08-09, 10:49 AM
While perhaps slightly outside the boundaries, Bite of the Werebear/tiger provide huge strength bonuses.

Also, seconding ferocity of sanguine rage and greater mighty wallop.