PDA

View Full Version : Finessable bludgeoning weapons?

danielxcutter
2017-08-08, 11:08 PM
As title. I know about the light mace, but are there any better ones? Preferably non-exotic.

Inevitability
2017-08-08, 11:22 PM
Bludgeoning natural weapons (like bites and slams) or unarmed strikes?

The nunchukau is almost strictly better than the light mace, but exotic.

Gruftzwerg
2017-08-08, 11:22 PM
Gauntlet ^^

Well it counts as unarmed strike and thus should be finessable. But you need to invest somehow into unarmed strikes to make it worth (e.g. at least a monk's belt).

Hackulator
2017-08-08, 11:24 PM
better than the light mace?

Light mace is pretty amazing if you go TWF, Lightning Mace and improved crit, so that's a hard bar to get over.

Inevitability
2017-08-08, 11:29 PM
Also note that with Feycraft applied, any one-handed weapon can become light, making it finessable.

Remuko
2017-08-08, 11:39 PM
Also note that with Feycraft applied, any one-handed weapon can become light, making it finessable.

Im not familiar with feycraft. Does that mean you could dual wield 2 feycraft 1 handed weapons without the normal drawbacks of twf with a non-light weapon?

Thurbane
2017-08-08, 11:44 PM
having a look at this list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?203540-3-5-Simple-amp-Martial-Weapon-List), Steel Flute & Muspelrule...

Nosta
2017-08-09, 12:53 AM
Im not familiar with feycraft. Does that mean you could dual wield 2 feycraft 1 handed weapons without the normal drawbacks of twf with a non-light weapon?

I do not know but I do remember the weapon's DMG goes down 1 size
but it still sounds fun to me

Arkhios
2017-08-09, 01:09 AM
Sap! :smallbiggrin:

danielxcutter
2017-08-09, 01:16 AM
I don't really like relying on Feycraft weapons, to be honest. It feels like I'm relying on an item to save a feat and the build falls apart without one.

Crake
2017-08-09, 04:18 AM

Feycraft weapons also drop a damage dice, are treated as light weapons, and come with all the drawbacks of light weapons, meaning you can't power attack with them, and you can't two hand them for 1.5* strength. For many cases, it just makes the weapon into an already equivilent light weapon. Scimitars effectively become kukirs, longswords become shortswords. There are a few cases where there isn't already an effective equivilent, and there may be times when you've specialized into a weapon, like for example, you get weapon focus longsword and all that jazz, if you carry around a feycraft longsword for your offhand, it'll function mostly like a shortsword, but you'll get all your bonuses from your feats, and as an added benfit, you can wield it in a grapple too.

I went back and re-read feycraft, they're only treated as one size category lower for the weapon finesse feat, and nothing else. So you can still two hand them for 1.5* strength, and you still recieve full two weapon fighting penalties for using a one handed feycraft weapon in your offhand.

danielxcutter
2017-08-09, 04:20 AM
Feycraft weapons also drop a damage dice, are treated as light weapons, and come with all the drawbacks of light weapons, meaning you can't power attack with them, and you can't two hand them for 1.5* strength. For many cases, it just makes the weapon into an already equivilent light weapon. Scimitars effectively become kukirs, longswords become shortswords. There are a few cases where there isn't already an effective equivilent, and there may be times when you've specialized into a weapon, like for example, you get weapon focus longsword and all that jazz, if you carry around a feycraft longsword for your offhand, it'll function mostly like a shortsword, but you'll get all your bonuses from your feats, and as an added benfit, you can wield it in a grapple too.

So not really helpful for what I'm looking for then...

Crake
2017-08-09, 06:36 AM
So not really helpful for what I'm looking for then...

I went and re-read the rules, and it actually turns out that whole "is treated as a light weapon" thing only applies to one handed weapons for the specific purpose of being able to weapon finesse them, that means you still get 1.5* str as an added bonus to damage if you two hand it, while still being able to weapon finesse it. A light feycraft weapon can be finessed without even having the weapon finesse feat in the first place. Feycraft does still open previously unfilled weapon categories, for example a feycraft flail is a finessable bludgeoning weapon that deals 1d6 damage, has a +2 bonus to disarms, and can be used to trip, and a feycraft warhammer is a finessable bludgeoning weapon that deals 1d6 damage and has x3 crit, a straight upgrade over the light mace.

AnimeTheCat
2017-08-09, 06:36 AM
The Light Hammer is like a Bludgeoning version of a dagger with a better range for throwing. A light shield can be used in conjunction with any other weapon in the main hand. Improved Shield Bash+Two Weapon Fighting can be very nice.

If you're not tied to "Finesse" as the factor here, you could take oversized two weapon fighting and take only the normal -2/-2 penalties when weilding a 1-handed weapon in your off hand. Mind you, this isn't particularly efficient, but it would allow you to power attack with your off-hand weapon.

Edit: Just realized that you might not be talking about TWF so... sorry about that :smallfrown:

Deaxsa
2017-08-09, 06:49 AM
Light Shield fits the bill.

BearonVonMu
2017-08-09, 10:32 AM
With three levels of Unchained Rogue, any one weapon becomes finessed, with dexterity to damage to boot.
After that, one feat gives a second weapon with dexterity to hit, and a second feat to give it dexterity to damage.
As a bonus, if it is a two-handed weapon, you do get one and a half times your dexterity to damage, just like you would with strength.
Downsides: you might not be using Pathfinder, and you could easily not have room for a three level dip.