PDA

View Full Version : The Road Ahead - Right Fork [IC]

Silver Night
2017-08-09, 03:10 AM
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?532883-The-Road-Ahead-Right-Fork-OOC&p=22276885#post22276885)

It has been an unpleasant, cramped journey. Your world these past days? Weeks? Has been this cage of iron bars, a heavy waxed-canvas cover keeping out prying eyes, and leaking in the little light that is your only connection to the outside. Of course, it isn't as if mere bars could keep one such as you contained. That's the job of the walls of force hemming you in, the chains - metaphysical rather than literal -of arcane power restraining your more... exotic abilities.

You've seen your jailers - perhaps when they captured you, or during the transaction where they acquired you from your original captors. They seem to be primarily human, with a scatting of other 'common' races: soldiers, clerics, others. Their leader may be a mage of some sort, you saw a human figure in brocade robes, and heard her called Weir.

That was all those days, or weeks, ago. Since then the wagon your cage is on has been moving along steadily and you've had only yourself for company - at least until today. Today, the wagon stopped abruptly. It's been several hours and sound - sounds from outside - are beginning to filter in. And those arcane restraints - are they perhaps a bit looser than they were before?

You've spent the last while inside something like a force cage (which let in light, and air, but little else including sound - if you require food, it showed up while you were asleep), inside a regular cage, and with many of your abilities suppressed. The wagon stopping and outside sounds filtering in means something has changed...

Echobox
2017-08-09, 07:43 PM
Forlorn

As a temple laborer, one of the least citizens of great Eru, Forlorn worked hard in unpleasant places, though not without occasional respite. As a mummified servant, she was kept locked away except when needed, though the magical bindings on her then would dim her awareness. While not comfortable, this confinement is almost nostalgic to Forlorn. When the situation changes, she stirs from her meditations.

Forlorn reaches out to test her twin cages of force and metal. Centuries-old tendons creak and flex as she strains against her prison.

Probably won't do anything against the forcecage if it's still up, but let's see if she can bust through the mundane components of the bindings. [roll0]

Silver Night
2017-08-09, 08:31 PM
As a temple laborer, one of the least citizens of great Eru, Forlorn worked hard in unpleasant places, though not without occasional respite. As a mummified servant, she was kept locked away except when needed, though the magical bindings on her then would dim her awareness. While not comfortable, this confinement is almost nostalgic to Forlorn. When the situation changes, she stirs from her meditations.

Forlorn reaches out to test her twin cages of force and metal. Centuries-old tendons creak and flex as she strains against her prison.

Probably won't do anything against the forcecage if it's still up, but let's see if she can bust through the mundane components of the bindings. [roll0]

Forlorn does not manage to free herself. She pulls against the cage a bit awkwardly, shaking a puff of rust and a creak of protest from the simple lock securing the cage door - but she hit the door. The wall of force no longer seems to be present. Perhaps if she re-positioned herself and tried again she would have better luck.

Anyone else who wishes to can roll a listen check to notice the door creaking.

Echobox
2017-08-09, 08:47 PM
Forlorn

Forlorn is surprised by this turn of events, but decides not to question her good fortune. The gods provide, after all. She braces herself against one side of the cage and tries again.

[roll0]

Silver Night
2017-08-09, 08:56 PM
Forlorn

Forlorn is surprised by this turn of events, but decides not to question her good fortune. The gods provide, after all. She braces herself against one side of the cage and tries again.

[roll0]

The lock snaps - it seems obvious that her captors were relying primarily on the magic to keep her contained.

You can see 5 other wagons, with similar canvas covers, though from your initial position you can't tell what might be underneath. From the direction the wagons are facing they had been traveling north. The road seems relatively straight ahead and behind. To the West is a field ending in the beginnings of what might be a forest. To the East nothing but rolling grass.

Strangely there doesn't seem to be anyone around. Not even the horses or oxen that were presumably pulling the wagons.

You notice signs of a fight. A rather one-sided fight, as there are pieces of what look to be your captors scattered around here and there. It's just none of the pieces are very big. There are two carts, nearly hidden behind one of the larger wagons. Perhaps supplies or your other equipment rests there?

To the north (the direction the caravan seems to have been headed) there is a smudge on the horizon - smoke perhaps?

The smoke looks like the normal smoke generated by a small settlement.

Nearly hidden in the mud under one of the wagons is a portion of a brocade robe you recognize as Weir's (the mage who seemed to be the leader). There is no sign of its former occupant.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-09, 09:25 PM
Tsetsiliya had spent most of the last week or three sleeping, dreaming about an earlier life of frequent confinement. She managed to sleep through the sudden stop, dreaming that her mother had closed the cage and covered it, and then the sounds of distant screaming...

She's finally jolted awake when someone kicks open an adjacent cage with a thunderous *CLANG!*

"Vwa... what?" A few snakes test the bars for force fields before reaching out to pull on her cage's canvas cover. If she can't pull it down, she should at least be able to pull up enough to get a peek...

Echobox
2017-08-09, 09:30 PM
Forlorn

Forlorn steps out of the cage and looks around. Seeing nothing else of note, she goes to the nearest cage and pulls off the canvas cover.

Rendel Nep
2017-08-09, 09:52 PM
Maurice

We're free? Neat! the construct cheerfully remarks. He crushes the lock and gives the cage door a good shove.

He steps out onto the side of the road and just stare at the green fields somehow missing all the carnage. He mutters I miss Androlynne.

Maurice completely failed his spot check

Silver Night
2017-08-09, 10:11 PM
Forlorn

Forlorn steps out of the cage and looks around. Seeing nothing else of note, she goes to the nearest cage and pulls off the canvas cover.

Forlorn tugs loose the canvas and is confronted by something with a humanoid shape, but what looks to be a bunch of snakes for hair.

Tsetsiliya had spent most of the last week or three sleeping, dreaming about an earlier life of frequent confinement. She managed to sleep through the sudden stop, dreaming that her mother had closed the cage and covered it, and then the sounds of distant screaming...

She's finally jolted awake when someone kicks open an adjacent cage with a thunderous *CLANG!*

"Vwa... what?" A few snakes test the bars for force fields before reaching out to pull on her cage's canvas cover. If she can't pull it down, she should at least be able to pull up enough to get a peek...

As Tsetsiliya goes to have a peek, the entire canvas cover is torn away, revealing what looks like an upright, mummified... dog? The wrappings make it a bit tough to tell.

Maurice

We're free? Neat! the construct cheerfully remarks and gives the cage door a good shove.

He steps out onto the side of the road and just stare at the green fields somehow missing all the carnage. He mutters I miss Androlynne.

Maurice completely failed his spot check

(Assuming he passes his strength check to get out) Maurice would rapidly notice commotion at two of the other 5 wagons as another creature frees itself and rips the canvas from another wagon.

MeklorIlavator
2017-08-09, 10:32 PM
Deystard

Hearing the clatter of one of the doors being wrenched open, Deystard follows suit. The door itself isn't really made for being as strong as centaurs, and the metal quickly gives way.

Awkwardly clambering out of his cage and the covering, he blinks in the sunlight, looking around the camp. Some movement draws his attention, and turning he sees the gnoll and the medusa. He almost rears in shock at the latter, especially but turns it into an awkward shuffle instead when he doesn't turn to stone after meeting her eyes. Still, he averts his eyes from her as he approaches the pair.

"Greetings, I am Deystard, Cataphract of....nothing, I suppose. Do you need help opening the cage?" Glancing at the other cages, he projects his voice, no longer conversational but now something that could perice even the sounds of pitched battle. "Is there anyone else who could use help? It seems our captors are no more."

If anyone asks for help, Deystard will open their cages, taking 10.

Taking 10, so getting a result of 15.
Spot:[roll0]
Survival:[roll1]

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-10, 01:16 AM
"Ah, v-verywa..." Tsetsiliya stutters at the sight of the bandaged werewolf-looking girl. She notices the centaur recoil and look away from her, too, which doesn't make her any less self-conscious but is understandable enough. "Vsh-um. Sure! Go for it!"

Once freed, she takes a moment to look around and take stock of the situation, then whistles loudly, apparently to no one in particular. "Whit-whit! Arfer!"

A dog immediately responds from the last cage.

Nature (What's a Gnoll?): [roll0]
Religion (What's a mummy?): [roll1]
Heal (Who is hurt/ Bandages why): [roll2]

Spot (investigation!): [roll3]
Survival (smoke!): [roll4]

Silver Night
2017-08-10, 02:18 AM
"Ah, v-verywa..." Tsetsiliya stutters at the sight of the bandaged werewolf-looking girl. She notices the centaur recoil and look away from her, too, which doesn't make her any less self-conscious but is understandable enough. "Vsh-um. Sure! Go for it!"

Once freed, she takes a moment to look around and take stock of the situation, then whistles loudly, apparently to no one in particular. "Whit-whit! Arfer!"

A dog immediately responds from the last cage.

Nature (What's a Gnoll?): [roll0]
Religion (What's a mummy?): [roll1]
Heal (Who is hurt/ Bandages why): [roll2]

Spot (investigation!): [roll3]
Survival (smoke!): [roll4]

Tsetsiliya recognizes both what Forlorn is now, and what she used to be.

Mnemnosyne
2017-08-10, 01:10 PM
Ilsensine (http://mnemnosyne.com/D&D%20Stuff/Characters/Ilsensine-The%20Road%20Ahead/Ilsensine.htm)
When she suddenly feels the presence of other minds around her, Ilsensine's milky white eyes pop open, and her tentacles, once at rest, writhe briefly. She can tell immediately there are no humans around, which suggests she's either been transferred to a new set of captors, or an unusual situation has cropped up. Standing up and reaching out to test what's going on, she notices that the unusual wall of force that was blocking her from touching the cages is gone, so she jerks suddenly at the cage door to no avail. Paying close attention to the locations of everything she can sense, watching to see if they react in alarm at the sounds of the cage being broken, Ilsensine hears Daystard calling out about their captors being no more around when she's done wrenching the cage open.

^I could use some assistance, it would seem.^ She broadcast it outward, the equivalent of speaking aloud rather than focusing it on just one person's mind, so as to not be too exclusive; she doesn't want to alarm anyone if they might also be prisoners instead of captors. The illithid's voice in their minds is a little unusual, if they had ever had mental contact with an illithid before, at least; she sounds very feminine, unlike what one would normally expect from such a creature. As she 'speaks', she pulls on the canvas covering her cage, jerking and tugging at it from inside until she can drag it down off of the cage. Her milky white eyes squint, not used to the light, and her tentacles writhe in front of her face. ^You were all prisoners of these...people...as well?^ Ilsensine isn't even sure what to say about their captors, since she had never really learned their reason or purpose.

Since Mindsight gives me both type and int score of the minds I notice, I'm using that information here about my fellow recently-released prisoners.

Rendel Nep
2017-08-10, 04:50 PM
Maurice

After being dragged back to reality from his nostalgic reverie caused by the commotion, Maurice marches to the source of conversation, surveying the wagons as he passes them. He notices the odd creature revealing itself and goes to bust open the cage of the thing.

"Greetings I am Maurice of Maug. Let me get you out." and completely fails. I'll tell you right now, That was embarrassing.He says exasperated at his failure.

MeklorIlavator
2017-08-10, 07:35 PM
Deystard moves to the remaining cages, opening them up without too much trouble.
"Yes, we prisoners, and would still be if not for someone's intervention. Was anyone aware when the fight happened here?"

Looking around the camp, he moves towards the remaining carts, hoping to find is equipment.

Taking 10 to open Ilsensine's cage as well as the dog's cage.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-10, 11:31 PM
Tsetsiliya glances around and points out the scattered giblets to anyone who missed them. "I wasn't awake for the attack, no, but... I think we're better off for it. Whatever did this didn't see us, either."

She reaches down and pats Arfer, a huge mutt resembling a brown mastiff with long ears. She then heads over to inspect the other carts for possible loot or clues, talking as much to herself as anyone else. "It looks like there's a settlement ahead... I'd rather avoid it."

Watch Arfer spot the DC20 clue for us, thereby becoming the most important character in the party: [roll0]

Rendel Nep
2017-08-11, 12:04 AM
Maurice

I could pop in for a visit. I want to get some info as to where we are and get you lot some food. Let me tell you, watching mortals waste away as their supplies dwindle during a lengthy siege is sodding depressing. Maurice boldly offers.

Silver Night
2017-08-11, 12:46 AM
Those who check the smaller carts find everyone's gear piled there. There are also quite a few rations suitable for humans and the various creatures being dragged along, and a comatose Kobold who is listed on the included inventory as 'Illithid feed'.

Arfer seems to have found something of interest just under one of the wagons.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-11, 01:12 AM
Tsetsiliya quietly sifts through the cart, trying not to think too hard about the squid-faced abomination or the last unconscious prisoner. She picks out her own stuff and hands out everyone else's. "Food? Maug, food comes from the wild. Humans just pack it into bars... aha!"

The Gorgon holds up a leather utility belt featuring a pouch for each of her skill kits. It's not as valuable as her shield, but she'd really miss her herbal reference guide. "Found it! Hunting time, Arfer..." She trails off when she notices the dog digging up a seemingly random piece of cloth. She picks it up.

"Huh... it's the pattern from that mage's robe. Good boy, Arfer. The question is, should we try tracking her, or run in the other direction..."

Silver Night
2017-08-11, 01:40 AM
Tsetsiliya quietly sifts through the cart, trying not to think too hard about the squid-faced abomination or the last unconscious prisoner. She picks out her own stuff and hands out everyone else's. "Food? Maug, food comes from the wild. Humans just pack it into bars... aha!"

The Gorgon holds up a leather utility belt featuring a pouch for each of her skill kits. It's not as valuable as her shield, but she'd really miss her herbal reference guide. "Found it! Hunting time, Arfer..." She trails off when she notices the dog digging up a seemingly random piece of cloth. She picks it up.

"Huh... it's the pattern from that mage's robe. Good boy, Arfer. The question is, should we try tracking her, or run in the other direction..."

The robe itself seems to be burned, though from the appearance of spattering not by fire.

Mnemnosyne
2017-08-11, 03:27 AM
Ilsensine (http://mnemnosyne.com/D&D%20Stuff/Characters/Ilsensine-The%20Road%20Ahead/Ilsensine.htm)
Nodding and transmitting a nonverbal feeling of appreciation through her telepathic link to both Maurice and Deystard for their efforts in freeing her, Ilsensine steps out of the cage and stretches her wings, spreading to their full wingspan as she stretches out her body as well, then takes off, flapping and flying a few feet above the ground. She gives off a momentary telepathic sensation of being very pleased to be free.

^I became aware of the presence of others when the force effect keeping me imprisoned disappeared, but there was nothing intelligent nearby other than the rest of you. The possibilities I see are that this attack took place some time ago, and the force effects expired simultaneously because they were refreshed at the same time, or whatever did this freed us intentionally by dispelling the effects, but from a great distance.^

Seeing others finding gear in some of the other wagons, Ilsensine swoops over and alights nearby, looking over the gear until she notices her own things. Quickly retrieving them, she checks the contents of her haversack first, then begins to put on her armor, and finally straps her swords onto her belt, then slips her gauntlets onto her hands. Reaching into her haversack and pulling it out, she retrieves a tiny emerald spider, which she seems happy to see as her tentacles wiggle in excitement, then she lets it crawl into her clothing.

^Ah, food. I was fed a couple of weeks ago, and I suspect they didn't plan on feeding me again for some time yet, but I'm hardly going to drag this along with me until I'm famished.^ Looking around for a moment to ensure it seems safe, she approaches the comatose kobold and grabs hold of it, lifting it up to her face as her tentacles begin burrowing into its skull; she seems either unaware of this likely being disturbing, or unconcerned by doing this in front of the others. It doesn't take her long to extract the unconscious creature's brain and consume it, especially since she appears to not enjoy it at all, especially if the feelings radiating off of the illithid are any indication, so she's likely gulping it down like one might an unpleasant meal that nonetheless must be eaten. ^I suppose that will sustain me.^

When the medusa mentions what her dog found, and asks whether they should chase the mage that had imprisoned them, there's a sudden telepathic wave of anger and frustration that emanates from her, but there is also an undercurrent of fear; she knows that the magic that kept them imprisoned was strong, and thus the mage that led these folks is similarly powerful. ^I don't want to blindly chase after our former captor. Revenge...will have to be served cold, after I fully understand who she was and what her capabilities are. Assuming she is still alive at all.^

Echobox
2017-08-11, 01:49 PM
ForlornA horse-man, a snake-haired woman, a brightly colored stone creature, and some sort of... winged, tentacled person. And herself.

An odd pack indeed. Forlorn dons her gear. "There is nothing for me to the south. The caravan would have taken us north, and I do not want to go where they would have taken us. Either we flee into the forest, or we wait here to see what comes for us."

Silver Night
2017-08-11, 08:30 PM
The comatose Kobold - the unsalted gruel of Illithid meals, particularly as it clearly wasn't a very interesting Kobold to begin with - is as flavorless as expected.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-11, 09:13 PM
Tsetsiliya carefully puts away the robe rag as a scent sample. She makes a mental note to keep a spell prepared for acid resistance.

"Well, there might be more to finding them than revenge. Does anyone have any theories what they were up to? Wherever they were taking us, they needed to keep us just barely alive... speaking of which, I'll see if I can revive-"

It's at this point that she turns and sees Ms. Cthulhu glomping the back of her kobold patient's head. Tsetsiliya stares for an uncomfortably long time - first to parse what exactly Ilsensine was doing, then to decide what that means and what to do about it. To be fair, his condition wasn't just a matter of damage, so there might not be anything I could have done anyway, but still...

Finally, she sighs. This is going to be like caring for an exotic pet. "You can only digest brain material, right? Does any animal work, or does it have to be specifically humanoids?"

Rendel Nep
2017-08-11, 11:16 PM
Maurice

Clients who speak of revenge tend to be prize clients according to the Thullkarrs. Given adequate proof of their financial solvency, of course. Maurice muses as he gathers up his gear.

Maybe some sort of gladiatorial fighting event? I'm a good fighter. A maug would have to be completely deficient to be anything less than OK. I could sort of see the mage wanting to conducting experiments on us but surely they'd want to conduct some sort of interview process ahead of our arrival in order to save time. I'm going to search the area for some of paperwork. He says and then starts looking for any written material for clues.

Search check in order to find any shred of paper that might give us some enlightenment about our situation [roll0]

Silver Night
2017-08-12, 01:25 AM
Tsetsiliya carefully puts away the robe rag as a scent sample. She makes a mental note to keep a spell prepared for acid resistance.

"Well, there might be more to finding them than revenge. Does anyone have any theories what they were up to? Wherever they were taking us, they needed to keep us just barely alive... speaking of which, I'll see if I can revive-"

It's at this point that she turns and sees Ms. Cthulhu glomping the back of her kobold patient's head. Tsetsiliya stares for an uncomfortably long time - first to parse what exactly Ilsensine was doing, then to decide what that means and what to do about it. To be fair, his condition wasn't just a matter of damage, so there might not be anything I could have done anyway, but still...

Finally, she sighs. This is going to be like caring for an exotic pet. "You can only digest brain material, right? Does any animal work, or does it have to be specifically humanoids?"

As she puts away the bit of cloth, a pendant falls out. It is silver, and seems to be a stylized eye.

Maurice

Clients who speak of revenge tend to be prize clients according to the Thullkarrs. Given adequate proof of their financial solvency, of course. Maurice muses as he gathers up his gear.

Maybe some sort of gladiatorial fighting event? I'm a good fighter. A maug would have to be completely deficient to be anything less than OK. I could sort of see the mage wanting to conducting experiments on us but surely they'd want to conduct some sort of interview process ahead of our arrival in order to save time. I'm going to search the area for some of paperwork. He says and then starts looking for any written material for clues.

Search check in order to find any shred of paper that might give us some enlightenment about our situation [roll0]

The search turns up little on the wagons. Inside the cart up front there is a bill of lading listing the creatures in the caravan and all of their gear. It indicates the ultimate destination was a place called Tarrak.

Rendel Nep
2017-08-12, 08:28 AM
Maurice

"So after all that searching all I got was a manifest for our stuff. Apparently our ultimate destination is a place called Tarrak. Does that mean anything to anyone?" The Maug asks, a little frustrated.

Mnemnosyne
2017-08-12, 10:03 PM
Looking at the gorgon as she asks her questions, Ilsensine tilted her head a bit to one side. ^Do not worry; I don't intend to attempt to eat you. I would be inclined to find easier prey even if we didn't share this situation. And given the circumstances, I would not make enemies of someone who may be an ally.^ She assumes that the woman is asking with the concern of potentially being a meal, since the kobold was so thoroughly unappetizing.

^I do not know of Tarrak, but then I am familiar with only a couple small villages on the surface. Does anyone have the slightest idea where we are right now, and what is around us - other than the settlement ahead?^ She looks around, taking note of any landmarks that are visible that might give an idea of their position, such as mountain ranges and the direction they're in, but without knowing geography, the references are useless to her regardless. Nodding for a moment at the undead gnoll, she adds, ^I agree, I think, with leaving the road into the forest until we get our bearings, and I also think we should remain together, unless someone wants to strike out on their own. I, at least, was captured largely because I was alone, and I expect we could be more easily re-captured if we split up.^

After a few more moments, she seems to realize something, and adds, ^I am Ilsensine.^

Silver Night
2017-08-12, 10:32 PM
Tsetsiliya:

The Gorgon spots something flying low over the trees to the southwest, approaching quickly. It looks almost draconic, but it flies awkwardly. There is a hint of something on its back.

MeklorIlavator
2017-08-13, 05:51 AM
Deystard

Finding his gear, Deystard re-equips himself, finding comfort in his arms and armor. He's surprised that the court didn't reclaim his gear. But the "Ilithid" 's and wrapped creature's words cause him to interject.

"Bearings with regards to what? We do not know how long we were carted around, or how fast our captors moved. We are completely lost beyond this road. Maybe we need to leave it, but I don't think we should do so rashly. Getting our bearings will likely require reaching some town or village,
and those will likely be on the road, and traveling down it will speed our journey."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-13, 05:07 PM
Tsetsiliya picks up the amulet from the robe's pocket and flinches as Ilsensine's words echo through her mind. They come through more clearly this way than they would through her ears and it's kind of unsettling. "Vwa? I didn't mean it like that! I just want to make sure we can catch something you can eat..."

She's about to add that Ilse never actually answered her question when a shadow over the trees catches her eye. "Deystard, you might have to hold that thought. Look!"

She points up at a vaguely dragon-shaped silhouette awkwardly flapping our way.

"...is that a sword in its back?"

Silver Night
2017-08-13, 05:17 PM
Tsetsiliya picks up the amulet from the robe's pocket and flinches as Ilsensine's words echo through her mind. They come through more clearly this way than they would through her ears and it's kind of unsettling. "Vwa? I didn't mean it like that! I just want to make sure we can catch something you can eat..."

She's about to add that Ilse never actually answered her question when a shadow over the trees catches her eye. "Deystard, you might have to hold that thought. Look!"

She points up at a vaguely dragon-shaped silhouette awkwardly flapping our way.

"...is that a sword in its back?"

Perhaps realizing it has been spotted, the creature drops, coming in low from the direction of the forest. It is now perhaps a couple hundred feet away.

Edit:
You have about 2 rounds before the creature arrives.

As it gets closer, you can see it is some sort of dragon, perhaps a little bigger than a horse. It looks wrong, somehow. As if it has started to rot. There is definitely some sort of rider on its back, wearing blackened armor (the inter-planar sign for 'I'm probably not a good guy'.)

Once it gets within 100' you sense 1 humanoid mind (13 int)

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-13, 06:16 PM
Tsetsiliya takes a surprised step back as the creature dives past the tree line. That could be our acid-spitter...

"You're a warrior, right? Here..."

The centaur was clearly hesitant to look at her, but Tsetsiliya seems to regard him oddly highly by default. Her mistletoe bracelet and the druidic markings on her shield might speak to why. She croons the phrase, "Resist Acid," in a language no one else recognizes, then reaches out to touch Deystard.

That accomplished, she unhooks her bow and shield from their straps on her quiver.

Echobox
2017-08-13, 07:00 PM
Forlorn

"Do we run, speak, or fight?" Forlorn asks, raising her crossbow. "This may be the one who freed us, but I have no wish to be another's servant at present."

If this is a necromancer of some stripe, I'd prefer if we softened him up before he gets within rebuke or command undead range. My ranged attacks aren't great, but I can take a couple potshots and hope to get lucky.

Rendel Nep
2017-08-13, 07:29 PM
Maurice

"Hmm, I could've been more frugal with my arrow usage." Maurice mutters with regret. The quiver on his back is quite empty.

"I'd prefer to speak first in which case I should probably take to the front in this confrontation. I'm far too big to hide, I can't run, and if we're fighting I'd like to be in closing distance when their intentions are made clear."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-13, 08:48 PM
Tsetsiliya sees Maug making a face at an empty quiver and zips over to help with the situation.

"Well, if you want to talk, you've got about three seconds. After that..." She offers a handful of her own arrows.

Mnemnosyne
2017-08-14, 02:30 AM
^Ah. In that case, no, animals will not...^ She stops 'speaking' as attention is called toward the creature flying toward them with a rider on its back. Unwilling to gamble on the friendliness of this dragon-like thing and its rider, Ilsensine prepares herself for a fight without making it overt, she merely concentrates briefly to bring some of her psionic powers into effect.

In the two rounds they have before the thing arrives, Ilsensine will manifest share pain on her psicrystal, followed by vigor, shared on both herself and her psicrystal, augmented to 2pp for 10 temporary hit points, gaining an effective 20 HP. She will take 10 on the concentration checks to suppress the displays, automatically succeeding.

Silver, if you could tell me what time it is for the purposes of recordkeeping I'll note that down so I know when the effects expire, too. Also note that her telepathy range is only 60 ft. due to mind flayer class progression, for future reference. :smallsmile:

Silver Night
2017-08-14, 02:49 AM
^Ah. In that case, no, animals will not...^ She stops 'speaking' as attention is called toward the creature flying toward them with a rider on its back. Unwilling to gamble on the friendliness of this dragon-like thing and its rider, Ilsensine prepares herself for a fight without making it overt, she merely concentrates briefly to bring some of her psionic powers into effect.

In the two rounds they have before the thing arrives, Ilsensine will manifest share pain on her psicrystal, followed by vigor, shared on both herself and her psicrystal, augmented to 2pp for 10 temporary hit points, gaining an effective 20 HP. She will take 10 on the concentration checks to suppress the displays, automatically succeeding.

Silver, if you could tell me what time it is for the purposes of recordkeeping I'll note that down so I know when the effects expire, too. Also note that her telepathy range is only 60 ft. due to mind flayer class progression, for future reference. :smallsmile:

Ah, well. It continues to come closer, so you would have found out in any case. Let us say that it is 1030am

The creature, when it lands, looks something like a dragon, but with only wings and hind legs, no forelimbs. Up close it is also is clearly in a rather advanced state of decay. On its back is a humanoid figure with reptilian features, perhaps 7 feet tall and muscular, its scales a mottled green. In addition to the armor it seems to be armed with a spiked chain and a bow. It lands about 30 feet away, off the side of the road to the west (this would be in the field that leads to the forest a quarter mile distant). It seems a bit upset, "Where are they? Where is she?" He seems to be mostly talking to himself, but finally seems to notice your group, "Five. So, all of the Promised are here. What happened to the others? Your captors?"

MeklorIlavator
2017-08-14, 03:08 AM
Deystard

He acknowledges Tsetsiliya's spell with a grateful nod, and tries to focus as the rider approaches. But recent events rob him of his concentration, and all the benefit he gets by the time the rider lands is a mild headache. He keeps his hands free, knowing that his lance can be at hand in a single thought.

The riders words make him think for a moment, before replying. "Dead, though not by our hand. Who are you Sir, and what do you want with a "promised"?" As he talks he trots forward slightly, just enough to put him closer to the rider than any of the others.

Silver Night
2017-08-14, 03:28 AM
"The others, the guards and escorts perhaps." The lizard sneers, "Had the heretic Weir died here, there would be sign of a greater battle than this."

He surveys the scene, "As for what I want, I want to make sure you aren't used by those who captured you."

Rendel Nep
2017-08-14, 06:24 AM
Maurice

"I'm not sure what you mean by 'used' but our kidnappers certainly never spoke to us. No false sob stories about having to rescue X heir to Y title. No mad rantings about soon having a certain enemy crushed beneath their heels, No talk of reward or even our destination. Just locked up in a cube of force with nothing to do." Maurice complains.

Quite frankly, if they even uttered a word to that effect I might have even negotiated some sort of agreement for myself. We maug have simple tastes: Fighting and the gold to pay for it. I just want my adventure. He admits somewhat resigned.

Silver Night
2017-08-14, 01:14 PM
The reptilian smiles - or at least shows his teeth, "Your role in their plans is important, but not exactly as an active participant. Still, there will be rewards for taking you out of the equation. As for your tastes..."

The creature moves to attack, urging his undead mount forward! He is moving toward Deystard, the closest target, who is about 30' away. However, some of your are ready for his treachery!

Tset
Deystard
Enemy
Forlorn
Ilsesine
Maurice

MeklorIlavator
2017-08-14, 06:56 PM
It's instinct, not thought that guides Deystard. Galloping forward, he couches his lance with the ease of long practice, holding the point stead so it can slam into the rider with all the force possible behind it.

Charge attack on the rider: [roll0] [roll1] x2 as it's on a charge: 30 on the off chance it hits.

Iron Guard's Glare is active(for squares I threaten, -4 to attacks against targets not me.)

Deystard, Cataphract of the Court Iridescent (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1292253)
HP 34/34, Speed 60
AC 21, Touch 14, Flat-footed 17, Fort 8, Ref 8, Will 9, Base Attack Bonus 3 /12
MW, Reach, least crystal of return Lance 9 (1d8+7, x3)
2 hooves 8 (1d4+2, x2)
Composite-4 Composite Longbow 6 (1d8+4, x3)
MW, Crystal of Aquatic Action Chain Shirt (+4 Armor, +4 Dex, +3 Natural)
Abilities Str 21, Dex 19, Con 20, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 11
Condition None

Rolling for manuvers here: [roll2], [roll3], granted are bold, expended are italic
Crusader's Strike
Vanguard's Strike
Stone Bones
Charging Minotaur
Leading The Attack

Silver Night
2017-08-14, 10:53 PM
Deystard's lance hits the creature, but not squarely, scraping a layer of black paint from its breastplate and exposing the silvery metal beneath but doing no damage.

Silver Night
2017-08-16, 10:49 PM
Tsetsiliya fires at the Lizardfolk! But misses!

Attack
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1] and STR [roll2] Secondary [roll3]

Lizardfolk fort save: [roll4]

The lizardfolk and his steed strike out at the only target they can reach - Deystard

Lizard:
Attack: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

Zombie:
Attack: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]

Everyone gets a turn now, so first come first post.

Echobox
2017-08-17, 12:18 AM
Forlorn moves up and swings a bandaged fist at her enemy.

Ideally, I'll be able to move up and flank the lizard, getting another +2 to attack and sneak attack damage on my slam. If the rider isn't in arm's reach, then I'll attack the mount instead; if I'm not able to reach a flanking position, then the sneak attack rolls can be ignored.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Rendel Nep
2017-08-17, 12:42 AM
Maurice
Maurice considers his options and charges into the fray.

Attack [roll0] vs the Lizardman
Confirm [roll1] (Just in Case, on a 30 or 31 otherwise ignore)
Damage [roll2]

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-17, 01:34 AM
Tsetsiliya points at the lizard-blackguard and shouts something like, "pragulatza," to her dog. It's probably Gnomish? The dog seems to understand, anyway; Sir Arfer runs around to the opposite side of the mounted mercenary for flanking purposes.

Meanwhile, she draws another arrow from her quiver. A pair of her hair-snakes clamp onto the grooved head as she knocks it, leaving it dripping with a watery, sour-smelling venom when she lets it fly.

Issuing a Flank command to Sir Arfer, who will just double-move this turn to make that happen. Wolves are supposed to get surrounds on large prey this way, so it wasn't too hard for the druids to teach this dog to do the same thing.

Meanwhile, shortbow attack take 2!

[roll0]

Damage?: [roll1]

Poison???: [roll2]

Mnemnosyne
2017-08-17, 01:48 AM
As the rider proves himself to be hostile, as she expected, Ilsensine's wings spread and she jumps into the sky, drawing her swords as she flies over directly above him, striking downward once she's hovering in the air above with a single powerful blow.

Swift Action: Enter Punishing Stance.
Move Action: Fly up over him while drawing swords.
Standard Action: Mountain Hammer.

Attack: (Flanking bonus from the others factored in).
Damage: [roll]1d8+3+2d6+1d6
Attack ignores damage resistance, if any.

Current Notable Defensive Stats:
AC 16, Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +5

Silver Night
2017-08-17, 02:27 AM
While most of the blows fall on indifferent armor or miss entirely, Forlorn catches a gap in the side of the Lizardfolk's breastplate, the thud of her fist connecting accompanied by the crack of shattering ribs.

Just Deystard left - let's see if lizardman survives!

MeklorIlavator
2017-08-17, 09:31 AM
The zombie's strike almost knocks Deystard off his hooves, but the centaur rallies. He stabs upward with his lance, trying to knock the lizardman off balance with his strike.

Attack the rider: [roll0] [roll1], using Vanguard's strike so if it hits attacks against the rider gain a+4 bonus. My attack is made with a +1 bonus from furious counterstrike.

Iron Guard's Glare is active(for squares I threaten, -4 to attacks against targets not me.)

Deystard, Cataphract of the Court Iridescent (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1292253)
HP 18/34, Speed 60
2 hooves 8 (1d4+2, x2)
Condition None

Rolling for manuvers here: [roll2], granted are bold, expended are italic
Crusader's Strike
Vanguard's Strike
Stone Bones
Charging Minotaur
Leading The Attack

Silver Night
2017-08-17, 11:30 PM
The strike lifts the lizardfolk from his undead steed. With a clatter of armor and the crack of more bones breaking he lands in a heap on the ground, already dead. However, its master's death seems to make the Wyvern unusually aggressive for its kind! It swips at the hovering Illithid before attempting to slam into the attacking undead gnoll.

Attack vs Ilsensine
[roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Attack vs Forlorn
[roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Echobox
2017-08-18, 12:12 AM
Forlorn grunts as the wyvern catches her in the ribs. She doesn't exactly experience pain anymore, but it's unpleasant. "Whose magic animated you? So inelegant," she says as she lashes out in retaliation.

HP: 22/35

1d20+14
[roll1]

MeklorIlavator
2017-08-18, 12:27 AM
With the rider dead, Deystard turns his attention to the mount, circling the beast and then striking once more with his lance.

Attack the zombie [roll0] [roll1], using Vanguard's strike so if it hits attacks against the rider gain a +4 bonus.

Deystard, Cataphract of the Court Iridescent
HP 18/34, Speed 60
2 hooves 8 (1d4+2, x2)
Condition None

Rolling for manuvers here: [roll2], granted are bold, expended are italic
Crusader's Strike
Vanguard's Strike
Stone Bones
Charging Minotaur
Leading The Attack

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-18, 11:41 PM
Tsetsiliya huffs. She never met any in person, but of the things she'd expect from necromancers, elegance wouldn't exactly make her top ten.

Unfortunately, immunity to poison is pretty high on that list, and in any case it looks like her bow isn't accomplishing anything compared to Deystard's and Mummy's blows. She decides to switch to more traditional pack-hunting tactics.

"Arfer! Pasti ataka!" "Bark! Grrr-ROWF!"

Sir Arfer, the sly dog, pads into position across from Forlorn and flanks the rotting dinosaur. He then jumps in to nip at its ankles.

Tsetsiliya steps over the dead lizard-knight-person to take a position across from Deystard. This sets up a flank for him but doesn't leave enough time for TS to attack herself. That's fine.

DOG ATTACK!

[roll0], plus whatever bonus one gets from flanking. I think it's 2?

Damage?: [roll1]

Free Trip Attempt???????: [roll2]

Mnemnosyne
2017-08-19, 01:41 AM
Twisting relatively easily out of the way of the undead mount's strike, Ilsensine dove a little closer, just enough to reach its back, going for its vulnerable spots as she struck downward at it, with both her swords one after the other this time, her tentacles writhing slightly as she did so.

Standard Action: Wolf Fang Strike.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]

Damage 1: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Flanking bonus already taken into account, counteracts the -2 from Wolf Fang Strike.

Current Notable Defensive Stats:
AC 16, Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +5

Rendel Nep
2017-08-19, 08:47 AM
Maurice
Maurice gives the zombie wyvern a taste of his blade and starts to cut it to bits with his pair of rather large swords.

Full attack with two weapons with a possible +2 from flanking not factored in because I'm not if Maurice is or not.

Attack 1 (Long Sword) Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Attack 1 (ShortSword) Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Silver Night
2017-08-19, 06:12 PM
The Wyvern seems to be attacking almost at random. This time it attacks Deystard!

Talons:
Attack: [roll0]

Slam:
Attack: [roll2]

MeklorIlavator
2017-08-20, 01:05 AM
The Wyvern's Claws rake his body, drawing blood and a grunt of pain. Deystard can feel himself weakening, another hit like that and he'll go down. But he can still distract this thing. Still protect others. Preform his function, no matter what She said. His mind expands downward, into the earth and stone, and drawing strength from it as he slams his blade into the things flank.

Well, I'm hanging on by a thread at this point, but let's see where this takes us.

Attack the zombie [roll0] [roll1], using Stone Bones. If the attack hits, I gain Dr 5/Adamantine

Deystard, Cataphract of the Court Iridescent
HP 8/34, Speed 60
2 hooves 8 (1d4+2, x2)
Condition None

Rolling for manuvers here: Only one left.
Crusader's Strike
Vanguard's Strike
Stone Bones
Charging Minotaur
Leading The Attack

Echobox
2017-08-20, 12:14 PM
Forlorn swings her fists in another hammer-strong blow.

With +2 for flanking.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-20, 09:15 PM
Tsetsiliya's snakes contribute to the all-out attack, keeping the beast off-balance for the proper warriors.

[roll0]

Pft, what are the chances this will hit?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-20, 09:18 PM
Sir Arfer Conan Doyle continues his valiant assault on the monster's giant rotting chicken feet.

[roll0]

Pft, what are the chances this will hit either?

Mnemnosyne
2017-08-21, 01:25 AM
After slashing at it with both her weapons, Ilsensine focuses for a moment, spinning her right sword in her hand, then slashes at it again hard, while continuing to flap and hover in the air above the thing.

Swift Action: Refresh Maneuvers
Standard Action: Attack.

Attack: [roll0]

Not making a full attack cause that'd basically just add bludgeoning tentacles, which I bet it has DR against.

Rendel Nep
2017-08-21, 06:33 AM
Maurice

THe Maug continues to hack at the Zombie. He looks at the centaur with some concern.

"Deystard, fall back before you kill yourself. " Maurice urges.

Assuming flanking because I have been told otherwise.
Full Attack
Long Sword
Attack[roll0] [roll1]

Short sword
Attack[roll2] [roll3]

Silver Night
2017-08-21, 12:33 PM
The blows from Maurice bite deep shearing through undead scale and muscle. While it has begun to look distinctly ragged, the Zombie is still animated by unholy energies. It attacks Maurice!

[roll0]

[roll2]

Rendel Nep
2017-08-22, 04:05 PM
Maurice easily shifts away to avoid the Zombie's claws and takes little notice of the creature slamming against him.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-22, 10:23 PM
Tsetsiliya notices Maurice's insistent suggestion before Deystard does. She raises her shield in her bow hand and carefully backs away from the monster as she prepares to buy him some time. A hissing, growling incantation can be heard from her direction as she beckons some unseen animal with her free hand.

In an instant, a crocodile leaps out of nowhere to fight at Deystard's side. It and Sir Arfer bolt in at the Wyvern's legs from opposite sides.

Attacks!
Doge: [roll0] (Before the additional +2 for flanking)
Corcodillo: [roll1] (Before the additional +2 for flanking)

Damage!
Sir Arfer: [roll2]
Captain Mawvel: [roll3]

Effects!
Trip: [roll4]
Grappl: [roll5]

Echobox
2017-08-22, 10:39 PM
Forlorn has no fancy tricks or magic spells. All she has are her fists and her determination.

[roll0]
[roll1]

This is not enough to land a hit on the beast.

MeklorIlavator
2017-08-23, 12:02 AM
Touching his belt, Deystard's wounds close.

Activate Healing Belt: [roll0]

HP 22/34, Speed 60
2 hooves 8 (1d4+2, x2)
Condition None

Manuvers reset: [roll1], [roll2] granted are bold, expended are italic
Crusader's Strike
Vanguard's Strike
Stone Bones
Charging Minotaur
Leading The Attack

Rendel Nep
2017-08-23, 09:18 PM
Maurice
Maurice gives a shoulder shrug in between slashes with his blades.

That works too, I guess

HP 53/53

Full Attack (Including flanking bonus)
Attack with Longsword [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Attack with Shortsword [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Silver Night
2017-08-23, 10:03 PM
Maurice finds a gap in the creature's armor and his longsword severs its spine, killing (rekilling?) it. Unfortunately the shortsword also lands its blow - unfortunate because it tears open the creature's belly, releasing a deluge of foul smelling goo. Still, the creature's unholy afterlife is ended.

Mnemnosyne
2017-08-24, 01:13 AM
Raising her sword to attack again just before Maurice manages to finish it off, Ilsensine pauses, bats her wings a couple times, then circles around to swoop down to land nearby instead of hovering over the now fully dead wyvern and its rider.

^Unfriendly as it may have been, I think we've learned...something, although it raises more questions. I, at least, know nothing about this 'Promised' title he bestowed upon us, and it certainly seems like none of you understand either.^ She looked around thoughtfully. ^It would seem at least two groups of people have unfriendly intentions toward us, and this probably won't be the last we see of them. I suggest we locate a secure shelter and then determine how to learn what we appear to be caught in and what our supposed role is meant to be.^

Rendel Nep
2017-08-24, 02:15 AM
Maurice

Maurice keeps his swords raised for a few moments, uncertain if the the wyvern was truly inanimate.

"Sure. Let's see...Oh! Loot the bodies! and it might be prudent to hide it as well."He says as if he's going through a metal checklist. He then slings the humanoid corpse of their fallen foe over his shoulder.

"Ugh... being 'the promised' sounds so vague. I'm trying to recall any stories I might have heard. There's literally hundreds of prophecies that call for something resembling 'the promised'. Hopefully this Weir character is more friendly than she first appears because if letting us go constitutes as heresy I'm inclined to get all heretical in their faces."

Pick up the Lizardman's corpse and his belongings to carry them to our eventual destination for a good looting. Or at least somewhere away from the road.

Silver Night
2017-08-24, 03:51 AM
Bardic Knowledge:
Maurice has a vague impression that being one of the 'Promised' isn't good for one's health. Of course, that might already seem rather evident.

Rendel Nep
2017-08-24, 10:12 AM
"Oh Hells. Let's stay away from this matter as much as possible. It sounds like we're being described as 'the promised' goods in some transaction between a planar power and what I presume is this cult. Like a sacrifice?? I'm not good with religions."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-24, 06:30 PM
Suddenly Crocodile vanishes as the group converges to inspect the fresh and not-so-fresh corpses. Sir Arfer proudly runs over and raises his head to meet Tsetsiliya's outstretched hand.

"You don't need to tell me twice," she replies to Mr. Maug. "But we still need to watch out. I found some acid damage on the debris, and whatever spat it is still around somewhere... actually..."

Tsetsiliya remembers something and retrieves the mystery amulet from her belt pouch. "I also found this thing. Does anything about it stand out to you?"

Echobox
2017-08-24, 11:56 PM
Forlorn prods the zombie's remains with a foot, then kneels down to examine it more closely. "If this is the state of modern necromancy, then I have risen in a sorry age indeed," she says.

[roll0]
[roll1], just in case.

Silver Night
2017-08-25, 03:05 AM
The Wyvern has a pack strapped to its back, an exotic saddle (as it is made to fit zombie Wyverns) and Forlorn is able to discern a thin silver chain embedded in it's flesh,
wrapping around its torso. Inside the pack are several gems, a wand, several days worth of food, a slim booklet of some kind with writing Forlorn doesn't recognize, and 300gp.

Echobox
2017-08-25, 05:13 PM
Forlorn

"We should get off the road," Forlorn says as she pulls on the pack and looks for a way to unfasten the silver chain. "I have no great talent for woodsmanship, but I will follow whichever one of you does."

Hot damn, Decipher Script's going to be more than a flavor skill. I'll wait until after we're holed up somewhere, though, since it takes a minute per page. And I'll hope it's not a book full of explosive runes.

Silver Night
2017-08-25, 07:52 PM
Explosive runes? No explosive runes here. *Silver warms up the d6s*

The silver chain appears to be one continuous set of links with no clasp. It is also mostly buried in the surface flesh of the zombie. You would probably need to either break it and pull it loose or painstakingly loosen it all along its length and work it off the zombie (and it might still be too tight for that to work.)

Mnemnosyne
2017-08-25, 08:15 PM
^I am not good with religion either, but I don't think we are going to get the option to avoid the matter, especially without knowing what it is. Perhaps once we understand, we can avoid it intelligently.^

Ilsensine watches the others, stepping closer to Tsetsiliya as she reveals the pendant and taking a close look at it, then glances over at Forlorn as the undead examines the corpse and fiddles with the strange chain around the wyvern. ^I concur that getting off the road promptly is our best course of action. And putting some distance between ourselves and this spot.^

MeklorIlavator
2017-08-25, 08:42 PM
Deystard kneels by the lizardman, looking over any items on his body.

"Let's head into the forest then. With things like this we likely won't be able to outrun them normally, and on the plains hiding would be difficult."

Search check: [roll0]

Silver Night
2017-08-25, 09:45 PM
The Lizardman is wearing a mithral breastplate and has a spiked chain. He has a belt pouch, containing 20 platinum. There is the chain of a necklace or possibly pendant around his neck,
but whatever it might be attached to is hidden under the armor.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-25, 09:48 PM
Tsetsiliya intones the druidic phrase meaning, "Detect Magic," and takes a quick look at the lizardman's body while everyone is settling on the Escape To The Woods plan. It's hard to hear while concentrating on the spell, but she can infer most of what everyone's talking about from Ilsensine's side of the conversation.

"Alright, we head to the woods, then. We'll see if we can get far enough to go into hiding tonight." Once she's done her six-second evaluation of the loot, she points out any magical auras, then whistles for Sir Arfer to follow and proceeds woodsward with no further ado.

Silver Night
2017-08-25, 10:23 PM
The lizardfolk's necklace and spiked chain are both magical.

Rendel Nep
2017-08-26, 10:55 AM
Maurice
After bending down and staring at the symbol on the pendant, The maug concludes

"That symbol seems to be inspired by the older styles of Vecna's religious symbol. It's not actually his though. Similar theme of Necromancy."
At the mentions of heading into the forest, the maug nods his head. Best source of cover. We'll need it. I'm happy to carry anyone if they can't keep up or get tired. As soon as we dispose of Scaly the formerly confrontational." He taps his shoulder and pointing to the corpse currently slung over it.

Echobox
2017-08-26, 01:01 PM
Forlorn

Forlorn tugs at the chain embedded in the wyvern's flesh. "Would one of you examine this?" she asks after a moment. "If it let our enemy control his mount, I would not want to fall under its sway. And if it is merely a valuable trinket, then I have no way to free it without breaking it. One of you with a blade could cut the wyvern apart."

Silver Night
2017-08-26, 08:24 PM
The chain on the Wyvern flares into incandescent light! It burns white-hot and vaporizes, leaving a criss-cross pattern of burns on the Wyvern and the smell of roast dragon on the air.

Forlorn takes 1 fire damage.

The dead lizardman makes some snap, crackle, and pop sounds and the same light is streaming from his eyes and from the necklace he is wearing. He flops around like a landed fish on Maurice's shoulder. When he speaks, it is not his voice anymore, "Greetings Promised. I forgive you for your ill treatment of my initiate, and I apologize for his overzealousness. We wish the same thing, I think - to prevent you from being captured by Weir. Can you perhaps put me down?"

If Tset still has detect magic going, there is a strong - bordering on overwhelming - aura of necromancy coming from the reanimated lizardfolk corpse

Rendel Nep
2017-08-27, 01:15 AM
Maurice

Maurice blinks in surprise and grabs the animated corpse by it's shoulders. He holds it above the ground and realises the talking cadaver is upside down and turns it the right side up before placing it upright on the ground. He then steps back.

I apologize myself. I wasn't expecting this channel of communication. Your initiate was credible warrior albeit with questionable judgment. He says with a respectable bow.

Silver Night
2017-08-27, 01:46 AM
"He was impetuous, and the impetuous, while sometimes useful, do not live long lives. I have an offer for you. We will not pursue you - in fact we will offer you what small aid we can. In return we may request your assistance, from time to time, in undermining Weir. Of course, should it appear Weir might capture you you will have to be eliminated."

Rendel Nep
2017-08-27, 02:36 AM
Maurice

"Could you give us a moment? I believe my newfound companions are about to react incredulously to this politely casual talk of possibly being eliminated because of circumstances they are woefully uninformed of."

Silver Night
2017-08-27, 03:28 AM
Whatever is speaking through the lizardfolk's corpse gestures that Maurice should feel free. The Lizardfolks corpse continues to sizzle a bit.

Something is using necromancy to use the Lizardfolk as a conduit

It is taking a lot of energy, and there is a limited amount of time the Lizardfolk body can take it before it completely fries

Rendel Nep
2017-08-27, 06:02 AM
Maurice turns around to the others for their discussion.

Ok, that spell is more or less burning through the cadaver like a candle so time is limited. So yeah that maelephant in the room... He says leaving this sentience unfinished waiting for the others to speak.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-27, 04:40 PM
Tsetsiliya covers her face and shakes her head, trying to get the afterimage of the corpse's blinding-black aura out of her eyes. The detection spell is dismissed as soon as she stops concentrating on it. She would have taken a quick look at the Wyvern's chain, but now that's gone, too.

Given the sudden moment of silence, Tsetsiliya can only assume it's her turn to talk. This is not a very comfortable position for her. "Alright, so, I guess this is where you tell us where we can meet some more of your allies? Preferably ones that won't try to kill us? And that we can get the details on the Weir situation from them?"

Mnemnosyne
2017-08-28, 12:47 AM
Flaring her wings when she sees the corpse 'come to life', Ilsensine half-lifts off, but pauses when things seem calm, listening to the conversation. Glancing between Maurice and the others when he says he needs to consult with the rest of them, she explains, ^I suspect it cannot 'hear' me, since I can sense no mind to speak to, so I might appreciate if someone relays this to the person communicating through the corpse: I, at least, would perhaps be willing to consider it if a complete explanation - at least to the best of their knowledge - of what our supposed importance is, and who Weir actually is and what she wants with us, will be forthcoming. Otherwise, I see no reason to remain in contact and advertise our location on an ongoing basis to those who are likely to try to kill us again.^

I did some looking, and it turns out illithids are in fact incapable of vocal speech. Assuming the corpse being spoken through is a mindless 'transmitter', I would imagine Ilsensine detects no mind to communicate with telepathically, and therefore can't speak directly to them.

Silver Night
2017-08-28, 03:40 AM
Tsetsiliya covers her face and shakes her head, trying to get the afterimage of the corpse's blinding-black aura out of her eyes. The detection spell is dismissed as soon as she stops concentrating on it. She would have taken a quick look at the Wyvern's chain, but now that's gone, too.

Given the sudden moment of silence, Tsetsiliya can only assume it's her turn to talk. This is not a very comfortable position for her. "Alright, so, I guess this is where you tell us where we can meet some more of your allies? Preferably ones that won't try to kill us? And that we can get the details on the Weir situation from them?"

The corpse smiles, white light shining from between teeth that are blackening from the heat, "No, no allies. As for Weir, she is a heretic. She wants to sacrifice you in order to obtain power for herself. She needs other items to complete this acrifice and I can tell you where some of them are if you agree to work together."

Flaring her wings when she sees the corpse 'come to life', Ilsensine half-lifts off, but pauses when things seem calm, listening to the conversation. Glancing between Maurice and the others when he says he needs to consult with the rest of them, she explains, ^I suspect it cannot 'hear' me, since I can sense no mind to speak to, so I might appreciate if someone relays this to the person communicating through the corpse: I, at least, would perhaps be willing to consider it if a complete explanation - at least to the best of their knowledge - of what our supposed importance is, and who Weir actually is and what she wants with us, will be forthcoming. Otherwise, I see no reason to remain in contact and advertise our location on an ongoing basis to those who are likely to try to kill us again.^

I did some looking, and it turns out illithids are in fact incapable of vocal speech. Assuming the corpse being spoken through is a mindless 'transmitter', I would imagine Ilsensine detects no mind to communicate with telepathically, and therefore can't speak directly to them.

"A 'complete' explanation? I don't think you are in a position to make demands. Though I have already explained who Weir is and what she wants. You are, all of you, unusual representatives of your kind. That is the likely reason for your inclusion in her ritual."

Rendel Nep
2017-08-30, 06:23 AM
Maurice will relay Ilensine's questions and elaborate with some of his own.

Alright, could you at least establish which power you represent? You keep mentioning heresy and zealousness but with regard to whom? I'm not exactly good with religion, I mean for me, explaining my existence amounts to a simple 'A wizard did it'. I got a small clue from something Weir left behind but it's not much to go on if you only know the big ones.

Sorry for the delay. I was waiting for MeklorIlavator or Echobox

Echobox
2017-08-30, 10:38 AM
Forlorn stands back, watching the sizzling corpse and keeping a careful distance.

Forlorn doesn't have much to add right now. She's used to following orders, and doesn't want to do anything more to attract the attention of a powerful necromancer. Apologies, should have made a post to that effect.

HP 21/35

Silver Night
2017-08-30, 08:27 PM
"You may consider us a concerned party. I'm afraid that the wick has about run out on this body, so I will leave you with a piece of information. In good faith, as it were. One of the items that would assist Weir is not far away. In the forest to the west of here, perhaps 4 miles distant, within some ruins. It may be useful to you as well, though I recommend destroying it when you have an opportunity. If you wish to contact us, you may use the chain that is around this corpse's neck. Simply put it around the neck of another corpse." The charred lizardfolk corpse smiles a ghastly smile, "I don't recommend any of you wear it yourselves."

After these last words the body crumbles into smoldering coals and ash, though the equipment is unharmed.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-08-30, 09:18 PM
Tsetsiliya looks down at the smoking corpse with an uncertain expression. She kneels down and prods at the necklace with a few snakes before reaching out to remove it by hand. It's still pretty hot, but not enough to burn anything. She can hold onto it just long enough to stash it in her pack.

"The spiked chain is also magical, if anyone wants it," she says. "Our plan was to go to the woods anyway, and I don't see much reason to change that."

Rendel Nep
2017-09-01, 01:30 AM
Maurice

"Spiked Chains? Ugh.No thanks. They're about as gimmicky as double bladed swords and I'm imprinted with knowing how to use those." Maurice answers with a clear disinterest.

"Yeah, fate has set our path for us and it leads into the woods...sorry, I thought we needed something profound." he continues with a hint of wryness in his voice.

Mnemnosyne
2017-09-01, 11:26 PM
The illithid's wings lower a bit and wrap partly around her like a cloak once the corpse stops speaking and burns itself out. She hums thoughtfully, and her blank white eyes seem to glance between Tsetsiliya and Maurice for a moment as they discuss things.

^I am...leery...of going precisely where we were just told to go by someone who might simply want to eliminate us, and is trying to lure us to a place where someone more effective can do so.^ A frown crosses her smooth, slightly shiny purple brow, before she adds, ^But it may be worth at least...scouting...these ruins, if we can do so. I can at least fly over them and take a look around from a safe distance, once we get close.^

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-09-02, 12:07 AM
Tsetsiliya shrugs and jams the spiked chain in her backpack for safe keeping. Gimmicky or not, a magic weapon can be worth a ton of money to the right buyer.

She perks up again at the sound of Ilsensine's calm, clear voice in her head. Thinking back to the lizard's postmortem dialogue, she doesn't remember anything about ruins specifically, but maybe she just didn't hear it. "That would be a good idea."

Rendel Nep
2017-09-02, 08:45 AM
Maurice

Seems prudent. Maurice says approvingly.

"Before we start marching, If anyone doesn't feel like walking or fears they'd be too slow, I'd be happy to carry them. It's quite effortless for my part." Maurice offers.

Silver Night
2017-09-04, 04:30 AM
The forest here is thick, but not so much that it provides an obstacle. You stumble upon a path that seems to lead deeper into the woods almost immediately - though if it leads to the ruins isn't clear. It does seem to be going in more or less the direction that was indicated.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-09-04, 03:31 PM
Tsetsilya looks up, trying to get a sense for the time of day. Spending so many nights in a darkened cage kind of messed up her internal clock.

At first, she doesn't seem to find the path ahead very encouraging, but then she gets an idea. "Hmm... Hey, Arfer!"

She snaps her fingers twice and retrieves a sample of the torn robe using her scent kit. Sir Arfer excitedly sniffs it.

"Got it? Now, let's check the path..."

Using scent tracking to see if Weir has already been by here.

Survival (Sir Arfer, Tracking): [roll0]

Silver Night
2017-09-04, 09:12 PM
Sir Arfer sniffs the robe, and then sneezes. He does, however, search up and down the path and nearby for the scent, but doesn't seem to find anything Weir related.

Rendel Nep
2017-09-05, 12:03 AM
Maurice stops his leisurely pace and admires the view. He notice Sir Arfers has seemed to come up blank and turns to the Mindflayer.

"Time to have a peek, Ilsensine? " he asks gesturing upwards.

Mnemnosyne
2017-09-06, 04:54 AM
Ilsensine nods slightly at Maurice. ^I will take some time to study the ruins from above, assuming I can spot them through the forest. Hopefully they aren't fully covered by canopy. Stay here so I can return; I would have difficulty finding you all again if you proceeded, I think.^

With that, she spreads her wings and takes flight, soaring up above the trees at a good height of about 150 feet, taking a close note of exactly where she took off from so she can return once she's done scouting, then she proceeds forward in the direction of the ruins, making a couple large circles until she either spots them, or has gone a full mile ahead of the rest of the group without spotting anything.
If she does find the ruins, she'll take several minutes to look them over (taking 20 on her spot check for a total of 22, since she doesn't feel safe flying within her limited mindsight range).

Rendel Nep
2017-09-06, 10:37 AM
Maurice

As Ilsensine takes off, Maurice sets himself down beside the path and considers how to pass the time.

"Hmm, So how did everyone end up in this mess? I got discharged from active service due to an impaired lawful alignment. I'm not allowed to fight alongside my fellows because I'm too chaotic by Maug standards. I was aiming to find or earn enough wealth to send back home so they can make another Maug. I had planned to find a adventuring guild but I guess Weir found me first." He asks the group before giving a rundown of his circumstances.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-09-06, 10:03 PM
Tsetsiliya pets her dog as a reward for loyally sniffing around.

"Hmm. I was kicked out of my circle, too. I'm a Druid, in case it wasn't clear. I had some friends, but most of us aren't fans of... well, monsters. They'd wanted rid of me for a long time, I think. Weir just gave them an excuse."

Echobox
2017-09-06, 10:46 PM
Forlorn

"I am... alone," Forlorn says. "From a dead age, from a forgotten city. Unless any of you know what happened to great Eru?" She shakes her head. "I did not think so. Now I wander."

She takes a seat. "The lizardfolk had this journal with him. While the mind flayer scouts ahead, I will see if I can decipher it."

Gonna put that Decipher Script skill to work! Modifier is +4, but you're supposed to make the roll so I don't know whether or not I've wildly misinterpreted anything.

Silver Night
2017-09-07, 01:05 AM
Ilsensine nods slightly at Maurice. ^I will take some time to study the ruins from above, assuming I can spot them through the forest. Hopefully they aren't fully covered by canopy. Stay here so I can return; I would have difficulty finding you all again if you proceeded, I think.^

With that, she spreads her wings and takes flight, soaring up above the trees at a good height of about 150 feet, taking a close note of exactly where she took off from so she can return once she's done scouting, then she proceeds forward in the direction of the ruins, making a couple large circles until she either spots them, or has gone a full mile ahead of the rest of the group without spotting anything.
If she does find the ruins, she'll take several minutes to look them over (taking 20 on her spot check for a total of 22, since she doesn't feel safe flying within her limited mindsight range).

She quickly spots a tower, sticking out above the trees like a crooked finger of stone.

Closer in, the tower is clearly old, and appears abandoned. Ruins that look even older surround it on the forest floor below. Most of them appear (from the air)
to be no more than tumbled walls, but some look slightly more intact. The are mostly covered in moss, so it is hard to tell, but while the tower seems to be stacked masonry, the ruins below appear to be smooth stone, perhaps fused together or formed with magic. Nothing but nonthreatening local wildlife seems to be in evidence.

Forlorn

"I am... alone," Forlorn says. "From a dead age, from a forgotten city. Unless any of you know what happened to great Eru?" She shakes her head. "I did not think so. Now I wander."

She takes a seat. "The lizardfolk had this journal with him. While the mind flayer scouts ahead, I will see if I can decipher it."

Gonna put that Decipher Script skill to work! Modifier is +4, but you're supposed to make the roll so I don't know whether or not I've wildly misinterpreted anything.

Forlorn is able to decipher the first couple of pages. It is written in Draconic and it looks as though it is more of a log book or place to keep track of orders. The pages that she deciphers don't mention any specific people or places (or where they are mentioned they are not names Forlorn recognizes), but it seems the wyvern rider usually acts as a scout for a larger force. Perhaps if there is time to study the rest of the book, it will have more useful information.

Mnemnosyne
2017-09-07, 11:40 AM
After checking out the area from a solid height and seeing nothing of note, Ilsensine decides to risk a single close-in pass, swooping in alongside the tower and flying among the treetops so she passes within within sixty feet of tower and the ground, putting the few slightly more intact structures within range of her telepathy.

After that, she wheels around and heads back toward the group; assuming she makes it back safely, she lands near them. ^The ruins seem quiet, as one would expect. There was a tower among them which didn't seem to be made in the same style as the rest of the ruins; possibly a later construction.^

Echobox
2017-09-07, 10:05 PM
Forlorn

The undead don't get tired, exactly, but there's still a sense of mental fatigue—Forlorn was created to build temples and slay thieves, not to translate strange books. That was the job of Eru's more exalted servants, not its lowliest. She shuts the journal with a snap.

"The lizard was a scout, a mere servant, and this his record book. I recognize some of these symbols from the language of dragons. I did not learn that language myself before I was changed. It is... difficult to read. Perhaps one of you would have better luck."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-09-08, 12:02 AM
Tsetsiliya passes on the book. "I wouldn't know anything about dragon language."

Silver Night
2017-09-08, 01:19 AM
Great Eru. There may be a handful of mortal scholars who know the name, few if any who know more than that. However, Maurice knows beings who are not mortal. While Eru is now a mostly-buried ruin, it was once a thriving bastion of order in the middle of the desert. As for its fall, Maurice recalls the tale of one of his old comrades, who spoke of a grand city in the desert on the material plane, some 2000 or more years ago. A ferocious sand storm enveloped it for more than a month, and when the storm finally dissipated not a soul remained alive in the now half-buried city. Rumor at the time suggested that the cause for the cataclysm was something those in the city did themselves.

After checking out the area from a solid height and seeing nothing of note, Ilsensine decides to risk a single close-in pass, swooping in alongside the tower and flying among the treetops so she passes within within sixty feet of tower and the ground, putting the few slightly more intact structures within range of her telepathy.

After that, she wheels around and heads back toward the group; assuming she makes it back safely, she lands near them. ^The ruins seem quiet, as one would expect. There was a tower among them which didn't seem to be made in the same style as the rest of the ruins; possibly a later construction.^

Ilsensine still senses nothing but animal life within range.

Rendel Nep
2017-09-08, 01:28 AM
Maurice

At hearing Forlorn's revelation Maurice to be briefly contemplative before perking up at the mention of a language he read.
Draconic? Yeah I can read it. I haven't got any formal training but I probably count as a bard. He says with confidence.

Anyway, Great Eru is not forgotten. At least in the outer planes. I recall that there was a song the Eladrin sang of it's fall that's quite sanctimonious in the original celestial. I have also heard mentions from friends who were actually there. They praised the realm as a firm bastion of lawfulness and It's organisation and rule of law was said to be almost an iota of the Formians. Very good at paying the bills. Sadly their descriptions match the Eladrin's song. By all accounts, The city was mostly buried due to a cataclysmic sandstorm bearing down it for a period of one score and ten days. Rumors place the blame on occult activity from within. So presumably a Wizard did it... much like the birth of my race.

Fixed

Silver Night
2017-09-15, 12:04 AM
You venture deeper into the forest, toward the ruins. The tower becomes visible, though occasional gaps in the trees. The forest is quiet, with a strange lack of animal life. You get within sight of the ruins, and can see the scattered stones of the ancient ruins, thick with moss, including a couple of humps that could be somewhat more complete structures. The base of the tower isn't visible, but you can see part of it rising behind some of the older ruins. What you are here for could be within the tower ruins, or perhaps in the cluster of slightly less ruined ancient structures.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-09-15, 08:39 PM
"Hmm."

Tsetsiliya doesn't really have a lot of love for bastions of law. Or bastions of chaos, as far as that goes. Better not to say anything.

She might have thought about scouting, but Lady Cthulhu already did that, so she just keeps approaching the tower. It seems like the logical place for a long-lost magical maguffin.

Rendel Nep
2017-09-16, 08:17 AM
Maurice strolls along with a excitable bounce in his step as if eager for his first dungeon crawl. He notices Tsetsiliya gravitate towards the tower and follow on the assumption the druid knows where she's going. However, was curious as to the state of the tower. Mortal stonemasonry was infamous for it's shoddy design except for those of the dwarfs who had a knack for it.

"The Tower first? OK, fair enough but as a maug I'd be doing myself a disservice if a I didn't determine it's likeliness of collapsing beforehand."

One we get close enough, Maurice is going to do a building inspection, possibly by giving it a good shove.

Echobox
2017-09-16, 12:57 PM
Forlorn follows obediently behind.

Once we get inside, I'll take point and put Trapfinding to use.

Silver Night
2017-09-16, 09:21 PM
As you get closer to the tower, you notice there is little of the forest life you would expect, and even the trees seem to hang heavy and listless. Moss muffles you footsteps and spider webs, wet with dew, obstruct your path as you continue. You get within a stones-throw of the tower without issue, though. You can see the edge of what might be a doorway around the left side of the structure. It is round, and in spite of a distinct lean it seems to be stable. While there are holes further up it also seems to be unbroken at ground level.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-09-16, 11:41 PM
"Hmm."

Tsetsiliya barely heard Maurice just there, but it looks like he wants to stop and inspect something. She slows down to observe the moss and webs.

Please roll knowledge(nature) or survival to determine whether TS thinks these are monstrous spiderwebs or not.

I imagine you're already rolling passive spot checks for TS and listen/smell checks for Sir A.

At first glance, they don't seem to belong to anything bigger than... well, a non-monstrous spider. Whatever is spooking the animals, bugs don't seem to mind it so much.

"We can search the rest of the ruins first if you want..." She stands up and looks around one more time to confirm the stillness. She seems irritated by it. "Something around here is driving off the local wildlife. It would be good to find and address it, but I'm not sure if we want to deal with it right now."

Mnemnosyne
2017-09-17, 07:27 PM
^Insects, spiders, and other vermin,^ explains Ilsensine as they approach and take notice of the spider webs, ^don't think, and I can't tell whether there's anything that doesn't think nearby.^ warning the others that her assessment of the ruins being empty of threats might be lacking, if the creatures within didn't actually think.

As they approach, she draws one of her swords, keeping it in hand, but doesn't fully arm herself by drawing the other, keeping one hand free for other activities. She stays a bit behind Maurice, figuring the maug to be good to keep attention off of her at the start of a fight, if they should encounter anything. ^Do you think whatever is driving off the wildlife might be useful? ...or perhaps the thing we're supposed to find here? Our 'source' was intentionally vague on many things, including what this 'item' might be.^

Silver Night
2017-09-17, 07:30 PM
Sir Arfer growls at something, roughly behind the group, though not quite lined up from the direction they came from. Something among the humped, mossy ruins. Nothing is immediately visible to any of you.

You here a rustling behind you. Faint, but not far away, as if any things are making their way through the litter on the forest floor

The webs don't seem monstrous exactly (or at least, they aren't from spiders of excessive size), but there is definitely something odd about them. As if they come from several different species that normally wouldn't work together.

You can roll initiative, anyone who misses it I'll roll for you in my next post.

Silver Night
2017-09-20, 12:04 AM
The sound becomes louder, and suddenly you can see them, everywhere. Thousands and thousands of spiders. Some that look plain and brown, colorful jewel-toned ones like glimmering rubies and sapphires , bird-catchers the size of a dinner plate, and countless others. They swarm through the ruins from the forest behind you, perhaps 20' feet away and closing with unnatural speed. There seem to be 2 main masses of them, almost directly behind you (to the east) and to the south east. The tower is to your northwest.

Deystard
Enemies
Everyone else

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-09-21, 03:46 PM
Tsetsiliya turns to match her growling dog's gaze. When she sees the swarm, she makes a hissing sound and starts to fall back, knowing she has no good way of dealing with this.

"SSS! Watch out! Something is commanding them!"

She wishes she could tell whether they were summoned or not. Some of the spiders look pretty exotic, but considering that she has no idea where she is, every one of those spiders could be native to this area for all she knows.

Silver Night
2017-09-22, 12:44 AM
The spiders swarm forward! One swarm attacks Deystard, the other heads straight for Ilsensine, making it just short of her position.

Swarm 1 Attack on Deystard: [roll0]
Swarm 2 is adjacent to Ilsensine.

If anyone has knowledge: Nature it might give more info about these.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-09-22, 06:57 PM
Well, if anyone here knows nature...

It is relatively likely to be Tsetsiliya! (It's still probably Ilsensine, though, on account of being a psychic genius brainsquid.)

[roll0]

Rendel Nep
2017-09-22, 07:57 PM
Maurice sings a small chant while making a chopping action with his hand. The song alludes to the fact these spiders are still small and squishy in comparison to everyone else and we'll secure a victory regardless. Also spider fetishes are weird.

Casting Inspirational boost as a swift action then using Inspire courage for a +3 bonus on attacks and damage.

Mnemnosyne
2017-09-23, 05:24 PM

As the spiders swarm toward her, Ilsensine spreads her wings, immediately taking flight to get away from them. Uncertain about what she can do about these, she extends a finger and points at the mass that was approaching her, firing out a ray of flaming energy at them, half-experimentally to see what would happen.

Move Action: Fly 25' straight up into the air and hover.
Standard Action: Manifest 1-point Energy Ray [Fire].

Edit: Messed up my dice rolls, forgot right format. Will do in OOC post.

Echobox
2017-09-23, 08:07 PM
Forlorn

Lacking the magic of her companions, Forlorn moves up to Deystard and gets to stomping.

I'm hoping that the larger specimens mean that this is a swarm of Tiny creatures, since anything smaller and I can't actually hurt them. On the other hand, I'm extremely resistant to their attacks.

Originally posted in the OOC thread. Attack roll is 21, damage if that hits is 20.

Silver Night
2017-09-23, 09:27 PM
These are most definitely not species that go together, and in fact some of them shouldn't even be able to survive in this climate. It does look like some are large enough that they might effectively be attacked with weapons, but some are too small and will need to be cleared out with fire or something similar.

Tset still has her action to take this round.

Ilsensine's attack carves a furrow in the ground near the spiders, causing a few at the edge of pop like 8-legged popcorn but missing the main mass and doing no real damage. Forlorn's stomping seems much more effective, at least at first - many of the larger spiders are destroyed, but the smaller ones seem to be difficult to catch.

Something appears in Ilsensine's Mindsight, just briefly, before disappearing again. It is a Magical Beast with an int score of 19. It is located in the tower behind them.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-09-23, 11:40 PM
Tsetsiliya continues sizing up the situation from her own perspective. "Most of these spiders aren't native! Someone must have imported or summoned them! If we can find that person, or counter the spell..."

She has a few ideas for her own action, but most of them don't seem very good right now. Firing arrows into a swarm is a non-starter on her best day, making Sir Arfer stick his snout in to bite them seems like suicide and likewise for the snakes attached to her scalp. Instead, she keeps slipping backwards toward the tower and uses her standard action to observe her surroundings more carefully.

"I could try summoning a distraction, but whoever's controlling them would probably see through it. Unless we have a torch or something, we just need to find them! Arfer, do you smell anything new here?"

Arfer might be too on edge to start searching for new scents near the tower.

Mnemnosyne
2017-09-25, 06:14 PM
Noticing something in the tower, Ilsensine turns her head toward it. Specifically not broadcasting now, but sending her thoughts exclusively to her companions, she explains, ^I just sensed something inside the tower. Something highly intelligent.^ With that, she makes to move toward the tower again, staying aloft and away from the swarms as she comes within a couple feet of it and looks for ways in, not only for herself but for her companions on the ground, while also searching for a more precise location on the creature she detected.

She'll take a double-move action as needed to examine the tower closer, since she has nothing at all that can affect swarms, looking for the best ways in that she can direct the others to. If she spots a good way in that gives them a path away from the swarms, she'll immediately direct them to it.

Silver Night
2017-09-26, 12:29 AM
The first swarm attacks Deystard again, while the other swarms over Forlorn, biting viciously (though probably to little effect.)

Swarm 1: [roll0]
Swarm 2: [roll1]

Just around the side of the tower she can see an entrance. She doesn't sense anything intelligent.

Rendel Nep
2017-09-26, 04:16 PM
Maurice continues his singing and gives the swarm a good sweep with his blades.

Maintain inspire courage, giving a +3 bonus to attacks and damage as a mind affecting ability

Attacking the mass that's hitting Deystard with a full attack assuming I have reach otherwise Just the main attack at +2 on what's on the dice.
Main hand
Attack[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Attack [roll2]
Damage[roll3]

Echobox
2017-10-01, 12:15 AM
Forlorn keeps stomping the larger spiders within reach.

[roll0]
[roll1]
18/35 HP

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-01, 02:31 PM
Tsetsiliya moves to follow Ilsensine toward the tower entrance. "Something intelligent? That has to be it! Come, Arfer!"

Spot: [roll0]+9=10? Welp.

Sir Arfer's Scent will also pick up any new presences within its range.

Mnemnosyne
2017-10-03, 12:31 PM
Staying in the air over the tower entrance, Ilsensine dropped to the ground only to enter the tower alongside Tsetsiliya; once inside, she quickly looked around to ascertain if she could take wing again, hoping the ceiling gave enough clearance for her to stay a few feet off the ground, and looking for a staircase that would take them either up or down to search for whatever she'd detected.

Silver Night
2017-10-03, 11:03 PM
You have largely defeated the spiders, but while they still seem cohesive, they suddenly begin to flee back toward the forest. In fact, you see something seething along the edge of the ruins that might be more spiders, but they don't seem to be inclined to come nay closer.
Deystard is looking a bit worse for the wear (and possibly poison).

The interior of the tower makes up for what it lacks in stairs with enormous ropes of webbing.
An area around the entrance is clear, though you can't see the opposite wall or more than about 15 feet up into the tower, but from what you can see the tower is currently empty of anything except webbing. The tower is about 25'x25'.

You both spot some sort of cocoons or perhaps just victims among the webbing - some quite large.

Tset also sees something different about the floor, just visible behind the webbing toward the opposite wall.

The creature you sensed before reappears, about 100' above you. It is approaching, down the core of the tower, but not extremely quickly.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-03, 11:28 PM
Tsetsiliya draws her bow again, hoping that whatever's controlling the swarms might respond to arrow-based diplomacy.

"That patch at the end of the room looks like it could be a trap door or something... or maybe you could check out the food stores up there?"

Rendel Nep
2017-10-05, 08:00 AM
Maurice

After squishing bugs with blades that'd be otherwise ineffective if they were smaller, Maurice shake the ichor off them and turns to his companions.

I guess we should find the others. Possibly get you some medical treatment, Deystard... judging by the swelling from those bite marks. He points out, unsure of himself and winces.

Uggh, metabolism just sounds more and more inconvenient. I'm not sure how they cope existing with it.

Mnemnosyne
2017-10-05, 02:03 PM
Focusing on Tsetsiliya since she was with her in the tower, Ilsensine explained, ^Something's coming down, from above.^ She looked up into the thick webbing that obscured their sight from whatever was coming down, and focused her mind to share another manifestation between herself and the psicrystal she had riding in her clothing. Drawing both her swords, she waited, preparing to fight, since she had no expectation of whatever was coming being friendly.

Manifesting a 2-point vigor on herself and her psicrystal to gain 10 temporary HP again. I assume her three-hour Share Pain is still active? I didn't get the impression that we had been walking for three hours or more in the forest, at least.

Echobox
2017-10-06, 09:31 PM
Forlorn

"I have some experience when it comes to traps," Forlorn says. "I will lead the way."

Trapfinding, ho! [roll0]

Silver Night
2017-10-08, 12:05 AM
Maurice

After squishing bugs with blades that'd be otherwise ineffective if they were smaller, Maurice shake the ichor off them and turns to his companions.

I guess we should find the others. Possibly get you some medical treatment, Deystard... judging by the swelling from those bite marks. He points out, unsure of himself and winces.

Uggh, metabolism just sounds more and more inconvenient. I'm not sure how they cope existing with it.

Deystard bravely volunteers to wait here in case anyone ~or thing~ tries to sneak up on the party.

Focusing on Tsetsiliya since she was with her in the tower, Ilsensine explained, ^Something's coming down, from above.^ She looked up into the thick webbing that obscured their sight from whatever was coming down, and focused her mind to share another manifestation between herself and the psicrystal she had riding in her clothing. Drawing both her swords, she waited, preparing to fight, since she had no expectation of whatever was coming being friendly.

Manifesting a 2-point vigor on herself and her psicrystal to gain 10 temporary HP again. I assume her three-hour Share Pain is still active? I didn't get the impression that we had been walking for three hours or more in the forest, at least.

No, probably have about an hour left. The mind Ilsensine sensed stops about 30' up, still out of sight.

Forlorn

"I have some experience when it comes to traps," Forlorn says. "I will lead the way."

Trapfinding, ho! [roll0]

Forlorn doesn't find any traps.

Everyone 'hears' a voice in their head, "Visitors! How exciting!" It gives the impression that the 'speaker' is female and enthusiastic.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-08, 10:36 AM
Tsetsiliya looks up, trying to follow Ilsensine's gaze. She assumes that the new telepathic voice wasn't any monster she's already met.

Rendel Nep
2017-10-10, 05:40 AM
"Um Hello? We didn't mean to intrude! We're just looking for a place to shelter and are searching for a very specific item. Just to put out some feelers here... how do you feel about magic item destruction and can you stand against a Mage who can cast Force Wall?" Maurice calls out pausing before adding "The mage doesn't happen to be any of us." hoping the question he poses doesn't sound like an immediate threat.

Diplomacy [roll0] to convey non hostile intentions.

Silver Night
2017-10-12, 02:16 AM
The mind pops away and back again. No closer but suddenly 5 feet to the right of where it was.

Once again, in everyone's heads, "If none of you are this mage, then why speak of it at all?" The voice seems to have a smile in it, perhaps in anticipation, "Oh, where are my manners. I get so few... visitors! You are welcome in my home for shelter, strangers, but I would ask your names. As for magical items, there are none here, but perhaps below, in the tunnels."

The swarms surged forward momentarily, and then retreated again. They seem to be reluctant to approach any closer to the tower.

Mnemnosyne
2017-10-12, 09:47 PM
Ilsensine's milky white eyes narrowed, then again when the creature seemed inclined to parlay. She didn't trust that, but she also held off on what she had been considering; igniting the webbing above them with a ray of fire. Instead, she sent privately to Tsetsiliya, ^It moved, but...oddly. A teleport or something. About five feet off that way. I don't trust this; I expect it just wants to lower our guard and attack us.^ She gestured with one of her tentacles when she said 'that way', a rather subtle gesture, but the mental communication carried a subtext that was meant to draw the medusa's attention to her tentacle as she did it.

Openly to all in the region, she announced, ^I am Ilsensine; but if we're to do introductions, what is your name?^

Echobox
2017-10-15, 08:27 PM
Forlorn

"I am Forlorn. Ah, I mean, that's my name."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-15, 11:33 PM
Tsetsiliya doesn't say anything. Sir Arfer sniffs the air, just barely resisting the urge to bark at the figure hanging in the darkness.

Rendel Nep
2017-10-16, 01:04 AM
Maurice

"I'm Maurice the Aberrant. I only mentioned the mage because they were intent on ritually sacrificing us." He answers aloud.

Silver Night
2017-10-16, 11:57 PM
"My name? Oh dear, I'm a terrible host. You may call me Saraya. Forlorn? That seems like a sad name.

"My experience with mages has been that they are more interested in tests and nasty experiments and so on. But I suppose ritual sacrifice might be in their bailiwick too. The original owner of this tower could cast force wall, but not anymore. I'm not much of a fan of mages.

"Do you require food? Drink? Other nourishment? What kind of item are you looking for?"

Rendel Nep
2017-10-18, 11:17 PM
"Forlorn and I don't need to eat or drink but I assume the others might? The thing we are tasked with finding was given in the most vague terms that I can't really say. What I really want though, is a bunch of history books and political treaties to pour over so I can get acquainted with our current location. Also because I used to reside in the Outer planes."

Silver Night
2017-10-20, 01:40 AM
This area is called Bormont. Or was, I've been here a long time. If there are any items here, they are no doubt below - there are tunnels and catacombs down there, dating from the original settlement here, much older than this tower. It's a bit embarrassing, but I can no longer fit through the door there, you see. The trap door. If you don't object to my coming down, I can unlock it for you though.

I have but a small request - there is something down there, I saw it when I was smaller - it's like a crest, made of fired clay. It has a pattern like an orb weavers web engraved on it. It's what draws my smaller brethren here, which is a nuisance for me and a danger to everything else in the forest. If you would be so kind as to break it while you are down there I would very much appreciate it. In return I will unlock the door, and when you return, I may be able to find some books for you - no promises on that, though! They have been here a long time and some may not be in very good shape anymore.

Rendel Nep
2017-10-23, 01:33 PM
That sounds fine to me. Just one thing though. Where and what are you?

Silver Night
2017-10-24, 01:36 AM
"A spider, dear. I am a spider." The webbing above the group flexes a bit, and you see something - a head? - poke around a sheet of the stuff near the back of the tower, "And I am right here."

Saraya's head is deceptively small, 8 eyes arranged in 2 rows, all but 1 of them glittering brightly in the limited light - that one covered with something that looks very much like a storybook pirate's eyepatch expertly tailored out of pristine white spider silk. It gives her a bit of a rakish look. Her fangs are tucked neatly away. Some of the rest of her follows, and there is a lot of her. She is striped in bright blue and pink and green, whorls and loops of color. She daintily places 3 legs on the floor. Her true size is difficult to discern as her front is the only part that fits in that side of the tower, but she is certainly larger than a horse. And probably smaller than an elephant. Probably. "You can see why the tunnels aren't an option for me."

Yasahiro
2017-10-31, 04:24 PM
Tager Migou

As he moved through the woods, still hiding for now, his mind kept going back to his escape. The wagons seemingly abandoned, despite all the effort that was done to ensure he stays in there, yet the moment the walls of force have been dropped, he broke out with ease. And yet, even now he was not sure where he was located, or where to go. He was captured, but the exact reasons escaped him.

He shook his head. It didn't matter, not now. His steps were taking him forward, towards the tower his eyes could see. Closer and closer he moved, perhaps something or someone was in there?

Rendel Nep
2017-10-31, 09:05 PM
Maurice looks up and any hint of surprise is hidden by the stoic visage his face was carved when he was created.

"Ah, Yes that would be quite a hindrance in these small rooms. If you are in need I'm quite capable of making any structural adjustments you might require to make the tower more comfortable once we're done below. It's a gift of sorts. Nice flair for the dramatic by the way, it'll be a good addition once I sing the saga of this adventure." He says in good humor.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-10-31, 10:46 PM
Tsetsiliya, her weapon lowered, looks up at the giant talking rainbow-spider. Despite her size, Saraya is somehow less threatening now that she's out in the open.

"Alright, no problem. We'll be right back once we've gotten rid of whatever is driving the spiders crazy."

She signals to Sir Arfer and proceeds to the trap door at the end of the room.

Echobox
2017-11-01, 12:50 AM
Forlorn bows politely to the spider before following her companions.

I can take point if we expect traps, or we can shove Maurice in front—he's got the most HP right now. :smalltongue:

Silver Night
2017-11-03, 12:37 AM
The enormous rainbow-colored spider, reach out a leg and does... something? to the trap door. There is a complicated mechanism but it apparently poses no challenge to an accomplished weaver, and the trap door pops up slightly with a click, probably unlocked. The amiable arachnid twitches and backs up a little bit, perhaps giving you room to get to the door without her being too close, "Is the new one outside a friend of yours? Not the one you came with - there's a new one."

Rendel Nep
2017-11-03, 04:28 AM
Maurice
Maurice pauses before answering. "As far as we know there were only the X* of us but we could have overlooked someone. We got attacked not long after we escaped and we... well, I at least, had issues reorienting ourselves with being outside our little cells. So, on a scale of a Grell to the former owner, how humanoid are they?" He asks.

*X being the canonical number we started with and found within the wreckage of the caravan

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-11-03, 04:26 PM
"Hm? A new what?"

Tsetsiliya just returns to the door and looks.

Silver Night
2017-11-03, 10:53 PM
To the group in the tower: "Oh, no, not humanoid at all, at least as far as I can tell from here."

To Tager (as an enormous spider, she communicates to you telepathically) "Yoohoo. Would you like to come in?"

Yasahiro
2017-11-04, 08:15 AM
Tager Migou
(https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1296278)
He startled a bit upon hearing the voice. But only a bit.

"Certainly." he tried to reply to the voice. He never could catch whether you needed to be telepathic of your own to respond to this type of messages or if it let both people communicate as long as only one could, but that didn't matter. He moved into the ruins, into the tower, his form not tall but obviously defined muscles, not a trace of fat, his tentacles coiled multiple times around themselves and the scales covering his otherwise sleek body, his head looking as it was covered in a helmet due to this, as two eyes, glowing with hidden power, observed the group that gathered there. Then, something uncoiled from his waist, a second pair of tentacles revealing themselves, supporting him. The tentacles almost all ended split into four pieces, as if someone took it and decided to make four cuts, yet making it somewhat similar to hands. At his shoulders what looked like small cannons resided.

"The name is Tager, you all also escaped from the convoy? Except for..." with that he looked at the spider. "You, I assume you were the voice I heard.
Wouldn't fit there in convoy with us and you wouldn't have this nice place either."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-11-04, 10:52 PM
"We did..." Tsetsiliya eyes the stranger suspiciously. "We went through the carts, too. Weren't you dead?"

Yasahiro
2017-11-05, 09:51 PM
Tager Migou

At those words he looked himself over, making a show of it.

"Last time I checked, no. Would take a lot to actually kill me..."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-11-05, 10:38 PM
"Huh." Tsetsiliya shrugs. "Well, welcome to the team, I guess. To get you caught up, we came here at the behest of some mysterious so-and-so who says they're trying to stop whatever ritual our captors were taking us for. Except for Saraya, obviously."

Silver Night
2017-11-06, 04:33 AM
Saraya waves a pedipalp at mention of her name.

Rendel Nep
2017-11-06, 07:04 PM
Maurice bends down to his knee and offers a handshake and introduces himself to Tager.

"My name's Maurice and while I have no formal collegiate training I'm a bard. My race is are dedicated to mercenary warfare but due to unforeseen circumstances I was discharged and have taken up a career as an adventurer. Been kind of meh up until today. What's your speciality?"

Silver Night
2017-11-09, 02:13 AM
While they are talking, Saraya opens the trap door. It creaks ominously - but then, it would be a bit disappointing if it didn't. She backs up a bit to make sure there is room to get to the door, perhaps aware that giant spiders make some people uncomfortable. Or maybe you make her uncomfortable? Who knows.

Yasahiro
2017-11-09, 01:40 PM
Tager Migou

He thought about it for a moment.

"My specialty? Hand to hand. Tests of strength. Tests of might. I think there was a term for that called... grappling, I believe?" He let his eyes look at the door. "Then I guess it's time to go in." And with that, he moved past others, down the trapdoor

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-11-09, 10:18 PM
The Medusa lets whoever wants to go in front do so, then gives Sir Arfer the task of guarding the trap door before heading down herself.

Rendel Nep
2017-11-10, 10:14 PM
Maurice

The large bulky construct steps up to the trap door to see if he fits. The last thing he wants to do is have himself lodged in the trapdoor. If everything seems fine he'll jump down to avoid stressing the approach down, whether it be a ladder or rope.

Silver Night
2017-11-11, 03:24 AM
There is a short drop, into a tunnel wide enough for you to walk comfortably in single file - though you could squeeze past each other. The stonework is unremarkable, though it appears similar to the ruins above. The tunnel seems to slant down, and curves to the right.

Echobox
2017-11-14, 01:00 AM
Forlorn follows the group.

I think that makes marching order Tager, Maurice, Forlorn, Tsetsiliya. That work for everyone?

Silver Night
2017-11-14, 02:16 AM
Saraya's 7 eyes glitter down at you, "Good luck. I'll knit you something for if you make it back."

You can see (those who can see in the dark) that the passage continues in a gentle curve for about 100 feet, angled down, and then seems to take a sharp right turn.

Rendel Nep
2017-11-15, 08:00 PM
"This isn't too bad, not nearly as cramped as I feared. We want to the cautious approach and carefully watch for traps or should I just barrel down the corridor and set them all off? I think I have a good chance of dodging." Maurice asks the group.

"Or do we want to approach this more subtly and find the traps before I set them off?" He says, letting the group weigh up their options.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-11-15, 08:30 PM
"Maybe. I'd imagine Saraya already disabled them from when she was down here, but I don't like the way she said, 'if,' we make it back. Hmm..."

Tsetsiliya whistles to get her pet's attention, then casts her spell. "Speak With Animals. Stay right here, Sir Arfer. If anyone comes in through that trap door, or if there is a lot of racket up there, then howl and run down the tunnel to get me. Okay?"

Yasahiro
2017-11-15, 09:05 PM
Tager Migou

Tunnels, reminding him of the old times, his childhood? Hard to say what would that part of his life be called. But just like in old times, he did not move along floor like others, instead he did what was natural on him and simply moved across the ceiling, for that is his calling.

"I might as well set them off if there are any. I don't think we'd have to worry about much otherwise if she was already here."

Silver Night
2017-11-16, 03:52 AM
No traps are apparent. You approach the sharp right turn.

Rendel Nep
2017-11-17, 07:50 AM
Maurice carefully pokes his head around the corner to sure of no obvious surprises awaiting the group like large sudden gouts of fire.

Yasahiro
2017-11-18, 02:44 PM
Tager Migou

Simply crawled past the sharp turn, still on the ceiling. Most people don't look at the ceiling or don't expect people to come from THAT direction, don't they?

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-11-18, 05:10 PM
Tsetsiliya approaches the corner along with the group, finding nothing to comment on unless someone hangs back or stops for some reason.

Echobox
2017-11-18, 09:35 PM
Forlorn plods along, fists ready if needed.

Silver Night
2017-11-19, 12:30 AM
Just beyond the corner, a spiral staircase descends into the darkness. It's curve hugs the wall of a vertical shaft, leaving the center open and disappearing beyond the range of your various sorts of vision into the dark. The portion you can see appears to be fairly intact, but its age is apparent. The ceiling at the top of the shaft, not far above you, is covered in mossy growths, though they seem oddly lumpy. The moss, if that's what it is, starts a few feet past the corner (so Tager does have time to not 'step' in it.)

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-11-19, 05:40 PM
Tsetsiliya squints up at the odd ceiling-goop. She'd spent most of her childhood in a cave, but it wasn't very deep and didn't have a lot of stuff growing in it. She tries to remember if she was ever warned about something like this.

Spot: [roll0]
Knowledge(Nature): [roll1]

Silver Night
2017-11-21, 03:54 AM
Tset easily identifies it as Carrion Moss. It is usually not terribly dangerous, though it does feed on flesh. Indeed the sharp eyed medusa spots that one of the odd lumps looks an awful lot like some kind of reptilian skull. The moss is considered a delicacy by several sorts of cave dwelling creatures - though typically they are races found much deeper than this.

Of course, it isn't likely that skull found it's way to being stuck to the roof on its own.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-11-21, 11:56 AM
"Watch out for the flesh-eating moss, Tager. It looks like someone's been feeding it."

Tsetsiliya can catch the mutant halfling if he wants to drop from the ceiling, but it should also be safe to walk on the wall around it. Just don't step in it directly!

"I think whoever it is must have thrown a kobold up there or something. So, we probably shouldn't hang around directly under it for too long."

Yasahiro
2017-11-21, 05:10 PM
Tager Migou

Simply drops onto the floor with others and walks down the staircase with the others. It really is of no issue to him

Rendel Nep
2017-11-21, 09:33 PM
"Hmm." Maurice utters and proceeds down the corridor.

He stops roughly 10ft away from where the Kobold would be and gives the floor a solid prod with his short sword.

Silver Night
2017-11-25, 09:14 PM
The floor (or stairs?) seem solid enough. Nothing jumps up and tried to bite off his face. Yet.

Rendel Nep
2017-11-26, 08:41 PM
Maurice
The bard shrugs and continues down the passage. He takes measured steps, purposely designed to set off any traps or at least break them under the strain of his weight.

Silver Night
2017-11-30, 02:46 AM
Make a reflex save please!

Rendel Nep
2017-11-30, 02:56 AM
Maurice

[roll0]

Silver Night
2017-12-02, 01:42 AM
Maurice finds himself falling! A section of stairs about 15 feet long has let go - either from a trap or a 1500 lb construct stomping on them.

With a mighty leap forward, Maurice manages to catch himself on the stairs ahead, which hold (for now). However, there is a 15 foot gap to be negotiated for everyone coming down (or for him, if he wants to get back up).

The fallen stairs slam into the next floor down, and then tumble down the central shaft. It is several seconds before they impact something below with a thunderous crash.

Yasahiro
2017-12-02, 02:11 AM
Tager Migou

He simply shook his head before just extending his tentacle hands towards his companions, using the fact that they are quite longer than usual ones a Choker has and that there are four of them,at exactly fifteen feet. Convenient, isn't it?

"This is the easiest way, in my opinion." he said, simply putting them across the gap on the intact piece of staircase, before himself pulling himself towards them.

I was going to climb across a wall but realized this is a good show of strength and a great way to use my 15 foot reach with tentacles. I can do that, right? What with multigrab and so on,
along with my grapple bonuses and strength I can just put them there, right? No check necessary? I can do strength check if you want.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-12-02, 11:12 PM
Tsetsiliya flinches backwards as the stair ahead collapse. "Are you okay up there, Maug?" she asks the dangling bard.

She accedes to Tager's plan with a simple, "Alright, thanks," and continues her analysis of the situation on the other side of the gap. "We're probably going to run into a lot of this by the time we get to the bottom. Do you think you could follow M along the wall, to take some of the load off the stairs?"

Rendel Nep
2017-12-04, 05:05 AM
Maurice

"I'm OK, Just my pride..." Maurice answers while he perilously dangles over the edge of the hole he just made.
"I should have done my due diligence beforehand. Forlorn, maybe you should take the lead? A traditional approach to trap finding might avoid having to dig our way out." He suggests.

Yasahiro
2017-12-04, 06:33 PM
Tager Migou

He moved his gaze over his companions.

"Then let us work together to make it safer. Forlorn, was it? I can hold you up without any issues as I climb, so let's use that while you look for any traps or anything to watch out." he said, extending his tentacles towards Forlorn and just waiting for his agreement.

If you accept, assume I go and move at whatever speed you need

Echobox
2017-12-06, 02:14 AM
Forlorn nods hesitantly. Tager is an unusual companion, but she buries her misgiving and lets him hoist her into the air.

A couple ways we could do this, I'll let the DM choose which is most appropriate.
I'm fine with taking a small circumstance penalty for a little more safety, but if the DM rules that a serious trap-searching needs me to be on the ground, then I'm also okay to do that and risk taking it on the chin if I flub a roll.
Taking 20 would take forever, but would give us a 24 Search check (minus whatever circumstance penalty I get for being held off the ground). That's probably the IC preferred option, if that matters. Forlorn's got a slow view of things; comes with being a mummy.
If taking 20 is going to be too slow, then the straight up Search roll is in the OOC thread, minus a potential circumstance penalty for being hoisted.

Silver Night
2017-12-07, 02:47 AM
Forlorn is able to execute a somewhat effective search for traps, even hoisted a bit above the ground. While there are no traps, as such, the careful search reveals that it is probably a good idea to go a bit carefully as their ancient condition is almost as bad as being trapped in some place. Tset's idea of having the Maug stay near the wall might have merit.

Maurice is able to pull himself up. As Forlorn is finishing her search, a single loud screech comes from (far?) below, followed by silence again.

Rendel Nep
2017-12-07, 10:51 PM
Maurice

I suspect whatever it was will be rather upset with me. he says with what would be a wary smile if he had any way of articulating his face.

"Sorry about that!" He yells into the distance below.

Echobox
2017-12-12, 11:38 AM
Forlorn

"I don't think it's trapped, just old," Forlorn says. "Hmph. Shoddy construction. Stay near the wall and it will be more likely to support your weight."

Silver Night
2017-12-13, 11:15 PM
Suddenly something flies out of the darkness below! It seems to be a group of winged humanoids, small and lizard-like. They are armed with arrows and spears or javelins at first glance. There are 4 of them. They haven't attacked yet, but they are about 20 feet away (in the middle of the shaft down the middle) and having just arrived they may not have had time to ready attacks yet.

Spot or listen check might not be a bad idea! Know (Local) or (Arcana) to ID them.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-12-14, 12:31 AM
Tsetsiliya squints peers down the shaft to see if the... kobolds?... have anything backing them up.

Spot: [roll0] +10

"Hmm. Do you think we can talk to them? We did just ruin their stairs... but then, it looks like they don't really need them."

Rendel Nep
2017-12-14, 12:39 AM
Maurice

"Probably, I speak quite few languages...I hope they're amenable to having a spider problem dealt with."

Knowledge Arcana dependant on whether Our Illustrious DM would consider these relatively familiar to the Maug.[roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Spot [roll2]

Silver Night
2017-12-16, 02:21 AM
They are indeed some sort of Kobold, but winged. You vaguely recall hearing of such a thing on your travels,
Kobolds being a favorite experimental subject for mages and the occasional dragon or outsider.

They seem to be speaking a bastardized form of the language. You can decipher perhaps one word in 5 - some of those words include 'hunt,' 'meat,' 'rotisserie,' 'updraft,' 'landbound' (that one is much more derisive in the original draconic), 'new,' and 'pleased'. Based on this it is possible they will understand some Draconic. You can make an Int check to figure out more if you speak Draconic already.

Yasahiro
2017-12-18, 04:53 PM
Tager Migou

Simply continued climbing down, walking down the wall as if gravity had no effect on him. His limbs were strong and the grip was powerful, thus he could easily achieve such effect. He let the kobold-like creatures see his body, the scales it held, the strength he demonstrated. If they were lizard-like and with wings...

He raised his head, towards the opposite end of the shaft where none of his companions were and breathed in, holding it in him... and letting it come out as a stream of fire, not meant to be directed towards the lizard-beings but instead as a show, a demonstration.

If he was correct, then a show of power of what they aspire to be... might help.

I don't know what to roll on this though. It's not exactly diplomacy, and it's not... EXACTLY intimidation? It kind of is but still... just RP based I guess then?

Rendel Nep
2017-12-19, 07:18 PM
Maurice

"It's a really thick pidgin but of the words I can make out it doesn't seem encouraging.They seem rather hungry or at least thir master ." Maurice says with some uncertainty

Int check [roll0]

Dr.Gunsforhands
2017-12-19, 07:25 PM
"Shoot. Well, I guess that's that, then."

Tsetsiliya draws her bow, runs an arrow through her hair, and prepares for a fight.

Rendel Nep
2017-12-23, 07:02 PM
I'll give them a target to focus on while you, Forlorn and... Tager? the metal minstral instructs before pausing as he notes the absence of their new draconic companion.

Where did he go? oh well. He says with physical shrug and then launches into a speech in Draconic.

" Excuse me good sirs. I can't but overhear mentions pertaining to us of a culinary nature. I assure you we are not suitable for eating and pursuing us in such of a manner would be a fatal mistake. We have already been in our share of fights today but for reasons I care not to discuss would would like hunt down a certain rune, smash it and return to whence we came from. There are probably quite a few dead spiders nearby the tower if you are desperate to quench your hunger but I have no experience in eating since I am extra-planar construct."
Diplomancy: [roll0]
He says and then gives a magnanimous grin.

Silver Night
2017-12-26, 11:37 PM
The flying kobolds look only mildly alarmed at the flames, and they chatter a bit amongst themselves. They become more attentive when Maurice speaks. The one nearest the back, who is also the only one whose weapons (several javelins) are on its back and who is small even for a kobold, speaks carefully and slowly in response, "I am not 'sir'. I am Kurkelvak. Our territory here. You talk with leader, get permission. Go to bottom, show worthiness, go through door, meet leader." The kobold shudders in mid air, "We not go to tower, tower is bad place. Above is bad place. You can keep filthy spiders. Tell friend not to eat spiders, maybe his flame is better."

Rendel Nep
2018-01-02, 11:08 PM
Maurice pauses for a bit, being surprised his politeness got them out of another fight.

Thank you very much,Kurkelvak. We'll try to not cause anymore disturbances. I go by the name of Maurice. He says with a bow.

Huh. Good news, we're free to pass once we pay a visit to their leader and apparently, Tager you eat too many spiders. He explains to the group.

If anyone actually wants a fight next time, I'll skip the polite discourse. he says quietly.

Silver Night
2018-01-06, 12:18 AM
The flying Kobolds seem to snicker among themselves at something, and then depart. As you continue downward one of another of them will fly by at the edge of your vision, but they otherwise leave you alone. The shaft, with the spiral ramp, seems to go down and down forever, but finally something comes into view. The bottom? It's hard to say, a darkness seems to seethe and roil, with the ramp descending into it.

The darkness hides a carpet of bones, with clumps of the same moss from the top of the tunnel. You see trails through the moss - is something alive down there?

You see something on the wall opposite the place where the ramp disappears You can tell that it is some kind of opening. It is perhaps 10 feet above the darkness, with no apparent rope or ladder leading to it. In a straight line across it is probably 50' from where you are.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-01-06, 12:54 AM
Tsetsiliya takes occasional glances at the flying kobolds. It's a little suspicious, but as long as they're following us, that at least means they're not going after her dog.

[roll0]

At the apparent bottom of the stairs, just before it plunges into the impenetrable liquid darkness, she looks across the room with a squint, trying to make something out. A shape? A glint? Movement?

Rendel Nep
2018-01-06, 01:45 AM
Maurice ambles down the stairs far more gently this time, hoping not destroy the fragile and frankly poorly made mortal construction. He stops when he notices that Tsetsillya has her attention drawn elsewhere and attempts to see what's she is looking at. Millenia of military training has made Maurice focus on his allies when they've found something odd, especially if their senses are more acute than his.

Spot [roll0] Darkvision, Can't see through magical darkness

Yasahiro
2018-01-08, 12:27 AM
Tager Migou

He felt a bit confused about the remark about spiders. Was his flame just... bad? Giving them one last glance, he looked down at the bottom of stairs

Spot [roll0]
Darkvision 60 feet

He squinted, before motioning for his companions

"So the door or whatever is there is just... there? Let's not wait, then." He said, walking forwards as the stairs ended

Echobox
2018-01-11, 12:22 AM
Forlorn

The bandages on her brow shift slightly as Forlorn tries to squint through the darkness.

[roll0]
Undead get darkvision out to 60 ft.

Silver Night
2018-01-11, 02:04 AM
For those who approach the darkness, it seems to receded slightly - visibility extends only about 5' (10' with darkvision).
you come to the bottom, the darkness only seems to cover the lower 15' of the tower's interior. The small area of the ground you can see at the bottom of the stairs seems to be grimy stone.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-01-11, 02:43 AM
"...is it a door?"

Before proceeding, Tsetsiliya goes ahead and shoots an arrow at the Thing We Don't Know What It Is. Just because. If it doesn't do anything special, she shrugs and follows the rest of the group.

It's a nonmoving object, so it can't be that hard to hit, but:
[roll0]

Rendel Nep
2018-01-11, 07:26 AM
Maurice draws his swords to face the the uncertain darkness. Clearly the druid was keen to test her mettle.

Silver Night
2018-01-12, 01:20 AM
The arrow disappears through the spot, so perhaps it is a doorway of some sort.

Yasahiro
2018-01-12, 04:00 PM
Just sighs and walks forward. If there is anything awaiting them, he could probably take it and protect others

Dr.Gunsforhands
2018-01-12, 09:52 PM
Tsetsiliya... shrugs and proceeds downward to join everyone else. "I think there's an alternate path up there. It's probably for those kobolds, since they can just fly over to it."

Rendel Nep
2018-01-13, 11:01 PM
Whichever way works best. he says cautiously.

Maurice will follow the person who gives their reasoning into the darkness nevertheless expecting a surprise. Maybe not a trap or shoddy mortal construction but something...

Silver Night
2018-01-31, 11:39 PM
Something sloshes, in the darkness ahead.

If you're still here, roll initiative!

Rendel Nep
2018-02-01, 01:52 AM
Initiative because I'm here

[roll0]