PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Tamaranean (Starfire's race from Teen Titans, LA+1)

rferries
2017-08-09, 11:21 AM
By request for khadgar567! I admit I'm only tangentially familiar with Teen Titans so most of the fluff was copy-pasted from other sources.

Tamaranean
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11112/111121597/4066783-starfire.png
"I had no idea Earth people ate so many pigs, and insects."

Physical Description: A Tamaranean is a person native to the distant extraterrestrial planet Tamaran in the Vegan System. Tamaraneans are humanoid in appearance, but are recognizable due to their characteristic golden-toned skin, red hair and green eyes, which are common among their race. Although rare, individuals can be born with different colored eyes and darker hair. Tamaraneans possess many superhuman abilities, some of which are dependent on particular emotions.

Society: Out of necessity, Tamaraneans are principally a warrior culture. Children are brought up to be tough and self-reliant; weakness is frowned upon. While personal affection is permissible, it apparently must not be shown in general public, or at least to strangers. Table manners are based on an "all-you-can-get" principle, which to humans would be the equivalent of "pigging out". Strangely, aggressive tickles are a method of welcoming Tamaraneans on their return home.

Despite the contradiction of the warlike themes of their culture, friendship is considered very important; they celebrate Blorthog, the festival of friendship. They even have a term for the weakening of bonds and drifting apart of friends, rekma.

Relations: The nemesis of the Tamaraneans are the Gordanians, a reptile-like warrior race with whom the Tamaraneans have fought many conflicts. Tamaraneans otherwise have difficulty forging alliances with other races due to their warlike natures.

Alignment and Religion: Tamaraneans tend towards chaos and neutrality, and worship the goddess X'Hal and deities of war.

Adventurers: Tamaranans who leave their homeworld (apart from war parties) may become adventurers, typically fighters.

Tamaranean Racial Traits
"Never have I been so thankful to have nine stomachs."

+2 Charisma, +2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity, +2 Strength, -2 Wisdom: Tamaraneans are proud, tough, fast, and strong. However they are somewhat naive and literal in their interpretations.

Medium: Tamaraneans are Medium creatures and receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Normal Speed: Tamaraneans have a base speed of 30 feet.

Humanoid (Tamaranean): Tamaraneans are humanoids with the Tamaranean subtype.

Tamaranean Toughness (Ex): Tamaraneans have damage reduction/magic equal to their character level. They gain resistance to acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic each equal to one-half their character level.

Feats: A Tamaranean gains Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat.

Languages: Tamaranean adventurers begin play speaking Common and Tamaranean. Tamaraneans with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Auran, Celestial, Dwarven, Elven, Ignan, and Terran. Note that many Tamaraneans can easily learn additional languages through the Linguistic Assimilation feat.

Level Adjustment: +1.

Favoured Class: Fighter.

New Feats
"I did not know you before, so to me, you are normal."

Boundless Confidence [Fighter] [Tamaranean]
You tap into your own self-confidence to enhance your physical prowess.

Prerequisite
Tamaranean, Character level 6th.

Benefit
You gain a +2 morale bonus to each of your physical ability scores.

Special
A fighter may select Boundless Confidence as one of her bonus fighter feats.

A character may gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack (increasing the value of the morale bonus by +2 each time the feat is selected).

You lose the benefits of this feat while you are suffering from a negative morale effect (such as crushing despair, magical or nonmagical fear, being Intimidated, etc.).

Linguistic Assimilation [Tamaranean]
You may "kiss" another creature to quickly learn its language.

Prerequisite
Tamaranean.

Benefit
As a full-round action you may "kiss" a corporeal creature with a spoken language to instantly and permanently learn a single language spoken by that creature. The creature must be willing for you to use this ability.

Righteous Fury [Tamaranean]
In battle you call upon your own anger to enhance your tactile attacks.

Prerequisite
Tamaranean, Cha 12.

Benefit
Your natural attacks (including unarmed strikes) deal an additional 1d4 points of force damage per two character levels.

Special
You lose the benefits of this feat while you are suffering from a negative morale effect (such as crushing despair, magical or nonmagical fear, being Intimidated, etc.).

Greater Righteous Fury [Tamaranean]
In battle you call upon your own anger to fire bolts of energy from your hands.

Prerequisite
Tamaranean, Righteous Fury, Cha 12.

Benefit
Whenever you would make an unarmed strike (as either a single attack or full attack), you may instead fire a bolt of energy at a target within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack to deal 1d6 points of force damage per two character levels.

Special

Righteous Gaze [Tamaranean]
You may channel your righteous fury into your very gaze.

Prerequisite
Tamaranean, Greater Righteous Fury, Righteous Fury, Cha 12.

Benefit
As a full-round action you may fire a bolt of energy from your eyes at a target within 60 feet as a ranged touch attack. Add your Wisdom bonus (if any) to this attack. The bolt deals 1d4 points of force damage per character level.

If you successfully hit a target with your gaze, you may choose to sustain the bolt. For each round after the first that you spend another full-round action, you deal another 1d4 points of force damage per character level to the same target without needing to make additional attack rolls.

If you do not sustain the bolt, you must wait 1d4 rounds before using this feat again.

Special

Tamaranean Invulnerability [Tamaranean ]
You are resistant to radiation and other forms of energy damage and can survive in a vacuum comfortably. Your skin is virtually bulletproof.

Prerequisite
Tamaranean, Con 14, character level 9th.

Benefit
You do not need to breathe and are immune to the effects of interstellar radiation when travelling in a vacuum.

Your damage reduction from Tamaranean Toughness improves to damage reduction/adamantine.

Your energy resistances from Tamaranean Toughness each increase to equal your character level.

Unbridled Joy [Tamaranean]
You can fly as freely as your spirit does.

Prerequisite
Tamaranean, Dex 14, character level 6th.

Benefit
You gain a fly speed equal to twice your base land speed with perfect maneuverability.

Special

khadgar567
2017-08-09, 01:01 PM
okay i see one small or how i can say giant problem they are charisma race other then feats look good but with language assimilation they kinda dont need i need int to learn languages part and they are know how to use every weapon so unarmed strikes kind a less usefull

rferries
2017-08-09, 01:29 PM
okay i see one small or how i can say giant problem they are charisma race other then feats look good but with language assimilation they kinda dont need i need int to learn languages part and they are know how to use every weapon so unarmed strikes kind a less usefull

Ha ok, I'm not familiar with Teen Titans so I was just going by the lore of them being fierce to outsiders. However switched it to a Charisma bonus.

Language Assimilation is a feat, so not every Tamaranean starts with it (and therefore benefits from a high Intelligence if they never bother to take the feat).

I debated weapon proficiencies, and decided to give them Improved Unarmed Strike (to represent the "Tamaranean Martial Arts" in the lore). For anything else they can take a level of fighter.

Anything else? Apologies if it seems a bit rushed, I just whipped it up based on a couple wiki articles about Tamaraneans and Starfire.

khadgar567
2017-08-09, 01:37 PM
Righteous Fury [Tamaranean]
In battle you call upon your own anger to enhance your tactile attacks.

Prerequisite
Tamaranean, Cha 12.

Benefit
Your natural attacks (including unarmed strikes) deal an additional 1d4 points of force damage per two character levels.

Special

Greater Righteous Fury [Tamaranean]
In battle you call upon your own anger to fire bolts of energy from your hands.

Prerequisite
Tamaranean, Righteous Fury, Cha 12.

Benefit
Whenever you would make an unarmed strike (as either a single attack or full attack), you may instead fire a bolt of energy at a target within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack to deal 1d6 points of force damage per two character levels.

Special

Righteous Gaze [Tamaranean]
You may channel your righteous fury into your very gaze.

Prerequisite
Tamaranean, Greater Righteous Fury, Righteous Fury, Cha 12.

Benefit
As a full-round action you may fire a bolt of energy from your eyes at a target within 60 feet as a ranged touch attack. Add your Wisdom bonus (if any) to this attack. The bolt deals 1d4 points of force damage per character level.

If you successfully hit a target with your gaze, you may choose to sustain the bolt. For each round after the first that you spend another full-round action, you deal another 1d4 points of force damage per character level to the same target without needing to make additional attack rolls.

If you do not sustain the bolt, you must wait 1d4 rounds before using this feat again.

Special

ca n i ask why peaceful race gets paladin flavor. and

Tamaranean Invulnerability [Tamaranean ]
You are resistant to radiation and other forms of energy damage and can survive in a vacuum comfortably. Your skin is virtually bulletproof.

Prerequisite
Tamaranean, Con 14, character level 9th.

Benefit
You do not need to breathe and are immune to the effects of interstellar radiation when travelling in a vacuum.

Your damage reduction from Tamaranean Toughness improves to damage reduction/adamantine.

Your energy resistances from Tamaranean Toughness each increase to equal your character level.
and this is kinda unnecessary since by the time we get we have dr9 magic so i understand and aprove they get interstelar travel but why 9th level
and bolts in righteous furry is improvement from experiments

rferries
2017-08-09, 04:59 PM
ca n i ask why peaceful race gets paladin flavor. and

and this is kinda unnecessary since by the time we get we have dr9 magic so i understand and aprove they get interstelar travel but why 9th level
and bolts in righteous furry is improvement from experiments

The wiki I looked at said that Starfire was able to fire energy bolts by tapping into the emotion of "righteous fury (http://teentitans.wikia.com/wiki/Starfire#Powers_and_Abilities)", was able to fly by feeling "unbridled joy", etc., hence the feat names. Also, from what I've read it seems that Tamaraneans have a very warrior-based culture.

At 9th level most monsters and enemies have magic weapons, so DR/magic is no longer useful. The Invulnerability feat keeps the damage reduction useful, as well as enhancing the other defenses. The actual level requirement isn't too important, I just thought since the feat grants so many benefits (including immunity to inhaled poisons etc) that it should have at least mid-level requirements.

Ahhhh when you mentioned Starfire in the PM I assumed you wanted this race to reflect her specific powers, rather than "average" Tamaraneans. In that case, don't offer the specific feats that duplicate her abilities to your players, I guess? And give them the weapon proficiencies you mentioned earlier.

Buufreak
2017-08-12, 09:19 AM
The wiki I looked at said that Starfire was able to fire energy bolts by tapping into the emotion of "righteous fury (http://teentitans.wikia.com/wiki/Starfire#Powers_and_Abilities)", was able to fly by feeling "unbridled joy", etc., hence the feat names. Also, from what I've read it seems that Tamaraneans have a very warrior-based culture.

At 9th level most monsters and enemies have magic weapons, so DR/magic is no longer useful. The Invulnerability feat keeps the damage reduction useful, as well as enhancing the other defenses. The actual level requirement isn't too important, I just thought since the feat grants so many benefits (including immunity to inhaled poisons etc) that it should have at least mid-level requirements.

Ahhhh when you mentioned Starfire in the PM I assumed you wanted this race to reflect her specific powers, rather than "average" Tamaraneans. In that case, don't offer the specific feats that duplicate her abilities to your players, I guess? And give them the weapon proficiencies you mentioned earlier.

They absolutely are a warrior race, deemed barbaric by some others in the universe. Thus the insult "trok" meaning literally nothing, as if to say they are as worthless as nothingness. They also seem to operate on a usurping society, though their friendly demeanor makes it less killing the current ruler and more arm wrestling for the crown.

rferries
2017-08-13, 06:41 PM
They absolutely are a warrior race, deemed barbaric by some others in the universe. Thus the insult "trok" meaning literally nothing, as if to say they are as worthless as nothingness. They also seem to operate on a usurping society, though their friendly demeanor makes it less killing the current ruler and more arm wrestling for the crown.

Aha, vindication! Thanks, I'm glad my (cursory) research paid off :)