PDA

View Full Version : Lizardfolk monk bite attacks?

that_one_kobold
2017-08-09, 03:54 PM
Not much else to it. Do the bite attacks by lizardfolk and monk unarmed strikes go together? If so, this would go really well with monk, having bite attack, armored defense and the great wis/con stat bumps.:smallbiggrin:

that_one_kobold
2017-08-09, 03:56 PM
Quick side note, you can also make certain monk weapons.

PeteNutButter
2017-08-09, 04:13 PM
It is an unarmed strike, so yes.

Although it is only helpful levels 1-4, after which the monk gets 1d6 anyways.

Lizardfolk aren't that great at monks IMO, without a dex bonus, and a passive AC boost that doesn't stack with the monk's, scaling only off that dex that you don't get a boost to.

Monks are the class most in need of boosts to their core stats, as it is their only consistent source of AC. Having a 15 AC on a d8 hit die melee class for the first few levels is rough.

Naanomi
2017-08-09, 04:38 PM
Works fine, makes for a fun 'savage' character who uses bite attacks alone. Be an Open-hand (open-maw?) monk for an instant death bite!

polymphus
2017-08-09, 04:48 PM
It is an unarmed strike, so yes.

Although it is only helpful levels 1-4, after which the monk gets 1d6 anyways.
I think that's the OP's question -- does the bite attack, as an unarmed strike, scale with the martial arts table?

mephnick
2017-08-09, 05:18 PM
I think that's the OP's question -- does the bite attack, as an unarmed strike, scale with the martial arts table?

Almost certain that it does.

I actually like Lizardfolk for monks because I can dump WIS and not worry about AC to make a brutal aggressive mouth frothing dino monster. Sure your Stunning Strike DC suffers but you only use that stuff on low Con enemies anyway if you want it to actually work, even with a high WIS.