PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What works better as a Skald? College of Swords vs. Valor

Nishant
2017-08-09, 05:01 PM
Just as the title says. I can see arguments for either, and I'm not really quite sure what would fit the bill, to be honest. College of swords seems more flashy and combat oriented, where the valor bard still has combat inspiration to aid in the support role, as well as war magic, which could come in handy.

Armored Walrus
2017-08-09, 05:09 PM
A historical skald or, say, the skald from the early millennial MMORPG, Dark Age of Camelot? The latter would probably be closer to a paladin, mechanically, the former, I think lore bard actually fits best.

Mjolnirbear
2017-08-09, 05:15 PM
Neither accurately reflects a skald, since skalds were not flinging about spells. Either could represent a skald, which were poets, historians, lawyers, punsters, and fighters. The only possible answer is which is best *for you*. It's like asking whether Aragon is a ranger or a fighter, or if Friar Tuck is, in D&D terms, a monk or a cleric. In the end, it comes down to opinion.

Nishant
2017-08-09, 05:19 PM
Neither accurately reflects a skald, since skalds were not flinging about spells. Either could represent a skald, which were poets, historians, lawyers, punsters, and fighters. The only possible answer is which is best *for you*. It's like asking whether Aragon is a ranger or a fighter, or if Friar Tuck is, in D&D terms, a monk or a cleric. In the end, it comes down to opinion.

Fair enough. To be more accurate, while I have my lore and fluff down, I more refer to the mechanical class in the Pathfinder RPG.

Tanarii
2017-08-09, 05:21 PM
Valor. Says so right in the PHB, p55:
Bards of the College of Valor are daring skalds whose tales keep alive the memory of the great heroes of the past, and thereby inspire a new generation of heroes.

Dappershire
2017-08-10, 01:48 AM
Valor. Says so right in the PHB, p55:
Bards of the College of Valor are daring skalds whose tales keep alive the memory of the great heroes of the past, and thereby inspire a new generation of heroes.

This.

But also, it just makes sense. They can sing the stories of heroes, but just as easily portray them in combat.

College of Swords is described more like the fencers from a Shakespearean troupe. Not Skaldish in the least, imo.

Millstone85
2017-08-10, 07:24 AM
In ~2e Baldur's Gate, a bard has the option of being a regular bard, a jester, a blade or a skald.

As said before, the 5e PHB refers to bards of the College of Valor as skalds.

And the 5e UA refers to bards of the College of Swords as blades.