PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Keeping my multi-classing low, VS major technological advancement. what more worth?

Draconi Redfir
2017-08-09, 06:57 PM
So just for some context: I am a hobgoblin/bugbear hybrid in a pre-gunpowder setting. i have eight levels in Warmaster (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/super-genius-games/war-master), and i just took one level in Bloodrager (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager/) to start down the path to having some spells in four levels.

Recently however our DM came out and said that if we were willing to get one level in Ranger, and three ranks in proffesion (might have been craft, idk) Alchamest, then we could take Gunslinger as a presteige class, and effectively create gunpowder.

No here's where i'm conflicted.

Pros: Gunpowder is invented by and is in the hands of Goblinoids.
We can more easily take on our human enemies with it.
Goblinoid society finally has something human society doesn't.
Explosions.

Cons:
I effectively need to take two levels in classes i don't particularly want / need
i'd be multi-classing through four different classes.
I'd probably be pretty sub-par when compared to the rest of the group.
i probably can't get NPC's like a leadership cohort to take these levels in my sted.

What are your thoughts? is it worth it? is it too high a pricetag? Discuss :smalltongue:

ATHATH
2017-08-09, 08:05 PM
You clearly want to do it, so do it.

What's wrong with having 4 classes? Multiclassing isn't as complicated as you'd expect.

If you'd like, I could go and find some good archetypes for 1-level Ranger dip for you.

Draconi Redfir
2017-08-09, 10:31 PM
You clearly want to do it, so do it.
i think it would be neat, but i am unsure if it is worth it. ergo, i am asking for other people's opinions.

Florian
2017-08-10, 12:47 AM
Using firearms is extremely feat intensive and will need some levels in Gunslinger to get dex to damage going. So unless you´re already an archer, it doesn´t seem worth it.

Ellrin
2017-08-10, 12:59 AM
Using firearms is extremely feat intensive and will need some levels in Gunslinger to get dex to damage going. So unless you´re already an archer, it doesn´t seem worth it.

I'll agree with this, especially since mechanically speaking guns aren't much of a step up from other ranged weapons in PF. It's not a bad theme, but you're not getting a significant mechanical advantage for all these mechanical hoops you have to jump through.

arkangel111
2017-08-10, 02:20 AM
As far as multiclassing goes, I find it almost necessary on any build. I have a PFS character that is absolutely a beast and went 6 levels and 5 classes. Had to multiclass to get what I wanted but almost nothing could touch me not even other player builds.
Yes it was mainly a PFS character but still a strong build. Nothing is wrong with multiclassing if you get what you need. Besides it sounds like you have a compelling reason story-wise to do it and that should always be considered first.

inuyasha
2017-08-10, 03:53 AM
I'd also consider this from a role-playing perspective though. You're one of the lucky few who bears a handcannon! No spells required, and even a big dumb fighter can attempt to use it with some accuracy.

Sometimes style and role play are more important than mechanics, but I don't know a whole lot about your group and how they value that sort of thing. Just something to consider.

Draconi Redfir
2017-08-10, 11:32 AM
yeah the biggest appeal for me isn't so much using guns as it is inventing gunpowder. we're currently on the goblinoid side of a war of Goblinoids VS Humanoids and the humans have the better technology in almost all reguards. so creating gunpowder would be a huge boost for us thematically at least. i'm guessing minions and followers would be able to use guns or explosives after that point with just some training, and i could just go back to my main two classes. i dunno for sure though.

semi relatedly, there are about three options here. the party consists of my goblinoid self, one drow, some humans, an elf, and a halfling.

So either i make it and the goblinoids get the credit, the drow makes it and the drow get the credit (though the Drow isn't super interested in thge idea), one of the plain old normal pinkskins make it, or nobody makes it and we just continue living in a gun-powder-less world:smalltongue:

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-08-11, 01:12 AM
Why ranger though?

I love rangers, don't get me wrong, but they're not typically great inventors. Since you wanted to get some spells too, maybe ask if you can import pathfinders alchemist? That one pretty much invents gunpowder by RAW.

dude123nice
2017-08-15, 06:11 AM
As far as multiclassing goes, I find it almost necessary on any build. I have a PFS character that is absolutely a beast and went 6 levels and 5 classes. Had to multiclass to get what I wanted but almost nothing could touch me not even other player builds.
Yes it was mainly a PFS character but still a strong build. Nothing is wrong with multiclassing if you get what you need. Besides it sounds like you have a compelling reason story-wise to do it and that should always be considered first.

That build sounds interesting. Mind telling us a bit about it?

eldskald
2017-08-15, 08:30 AM
From a mechanics and optimization view, as other people have already stated, multiclassing is not a problem and is often powerful. The trick though is not to just simply multiclass. The trick is in having a plan on what you want your character to do and then scouring the srd for class features that might help. You will end up finding that class features from different classes might sinergize very well and help you with your plan, so you go and multiclass to get those specific class features. That's how people successfuly multiclass. You might also find that it mostly works only in martial characters. That's because their progression is almost linear (don't scale so well like spellcasters), meaning you won't lose much in power when compared to a single class martial of your level, and what you lose in raw power, you win in sinergy.

In your case, you have to multiclass one level into ranger and get 3 ranks in Craft (Alchemy) if I got it right, and then you get access to Gunslinger. How is your build? Is your character a high dex character? Do you have the shooting feats (point blank shot, precise shot, deadly aim, rapid shot etc)? If yes, 5 levels in Gunslinger might be powerful. If not, you will gain very little from one or more levels in gunslinger. But hey, that's all just from an optimization view. Optimization is good, but it's not everything.

Jay R
2017-08-15, 10:00 AM
Ignore all the vague theoretical questions about multi-classing in general. There is one diamond-hard, clear, specific, unambiguous tactical question in front of you. Focus on this alone.

Are guns worth two levels of Warmaster and/or Bloodrager to you, right now, for this character in this situation?