PDA

View Full Version : Monster of the Week for fantasy settings

Actana
2017-08-10, 05:52 AM
I've been looking at Monster of the Week for a while now, and I really enjoy the system and how it does what it does. One thing led to another, and I began to wonder if it could be ported into a fantasy setting as is. Something reminiscent of The Witcher for example: much like Monster of the Week already is, except not in a modern setting. The exact details of the new setting aren't all that relevant and potentially stretching anywhere from the Bronze Age to the Victorian Era, just as long as it's not a modern setting. The closer to modern times we get the easier the setting hacking should become, but I'm mainly interested in early firearms at the earliest.

The biggest thing that came to mind is that some of the playbooks are very focused on modern concepts. The Mundane, for example, isn't something that you'd see a lot in historical settings if only because the "mundane archetype" isn't really the type to travel a lot in those settings, whereas I feel that travelling from one place to the other in a historical setting is a much larger thing. Some playbooks are better but still not quite, like the Flake, but those can be integrated into the setting with only a little difficulty.

The other, more minor issue, is of course with equipment. Guns need to be replaced with other sorts of ranged weapons, either gunpowder or not. This isn't really that big of a deal in the long run, but the effects might be: if melee weapons are more prominent in a setting, the game might change a lot from kicking monster ass to playing more careful with traps and outsmarting the monster. As you take damage when Kicking Ass if it's at all applicable (and being in melee almost certainly is), you must use everything you can to make sure you aren't subject to that damage, as I feel wounds could get very scary very quickly.

Still, as far as I can tell most everything else would seem to be pretty straightforward to port into a fantasy setting. Anyone have experience in the matter? Or just opinions on perhaps things I've missed that might affect how the game works?

daniel_ream
2017-08-12, 03:05 AM
It's a hallmark of the PbtA games that you can hack them all to hell without breaking anything. You've identified most of the issues here; some minor rewriting of some of the playbooks is all that's really necessary.

A note, though:

The Mundane, for example, isn't something that you'd see a lot in historical settings if only because the "mundane archetype" isn't really the type to travel a lot in those settings, whereas I feel that travelling from one place to the other in a historical setting is a much larger thing.

MotW playbook archetypes aren't run-of-the-mill, they are exceptional individuals. 95% of the world may be a peasant (=Mundane), but your Mundane is the one who left his comfy home and hamlet to travel the land fighting the beasts of air and darkness.

Beleriphon
2017-08-20, 04:46 PM
It's a hallmark of the PbtA games that you can hack them all to hell without breaking anything. You've identified most of the issues here; some minor rewriting of some of the playbooks is all that's really necessary.

A note, though:

MotW playbook archetypes aren't run-of-the-mill, they are exceptional individuals. 95% of the world may be a peasant (=Mundane), but your Mundane is the one who left his comfy home and hamlet to travel the land fighting the beasts of air and darkness.

Never mind that a Mundane is going to be like Zoltan from The Witcher. He is mundane compared to Yennifer, Triss and Geralt. That said, Flake must, must, must be like Dandelion.