PDA

View Full Version : "Name wizard" build. Is it viable?

Blas_de_Lezo
2017-08-10, 11:34 AM
Just out of curiosity. Is it viable (I know it's not OP) to play a wizard who only uses name spells? Do you think this build has any kind of survivability?

Let's say that you would play a so much traditional, obscure and conservative wizard that he only uses spells "of the greatest and wisest wizards ever".

This spells are, until today:

LEVEL 1
Tasha's Hideous Laughter
Tenser's Floating Disk

LEVEL 2
Aganazzar's Scorcher
Maximilian's Earthen Grasp
Melf's Acid Arrow
Nystul's Magic Aura
Snilloc's Snowball Swarm

LEVEL 3
Leomund's Tiny Hut
Melf's Minute Meteors
Evard's Black Tentacles
Leomund's Secret Chest

LEVEL 4
Mordenkainen's Faithful Hound
Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere

LEVEL 5
Bigby's Haand
Rary's Telepathic Bond

LEVEL 6
Drawmij's Instant Summons
Otiluke's Freezing Sphere
Otto's Irresistable Dance

LEVEL 7
Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion
Mordenkainen's Sword

LEVEL 8
Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting

So, do you think it could be fun, playable and survivable? The only handicap here seems what kind of cantrips would we be using and what arcane tradition this wizard would choose. What

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-10, 11:35 AM
What cantrips? Any?
What magical items: any? All? None?

Blas_de_Lezo
2017-08-10, 11:55 AM
What cantrips? Any?
What magical items: any? All? None?

Yeah, of course this wizard would have cantrips, but the election should have some degree of taste. As for magic items, all allowed, no prob there.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-10, 11:57 AM
No fly, globe of invulnerability, haste, or stinking cloud? I still like this build. It's a cool idea. But I suspect that under no circumstances will it be optimal.

Matticusrex
2017-08-10, 12:15 PM
You're a wizard. You have to try really hard to make a wizard nonviable.

GlenSmash!
2017-08-10, 01:40 PM
The poser wizard. Always name dropping more famous wizards he follows.

Easy_Lee
2017-08-10, 01:45 PM
The poser wizard. Always name dropping more famous wizards he follows.

What if the DM works with him to eventually spit something original, as a character growth moment? Sounds like a really interesting character to me.

ZorroGames
2017-08-10, 04:51 PM
Refluff all the spells.

Actually make her/him do that before any adventuring. Same spells with a "Wizard's name" infront of the name would be IC for such an ego as that.

Probably lots of "famous/infamous" wizards throughout 'history' of the game could be attached to a spell.

GlenSmash!
2017-08-10, 04:57 PM
What if the DM works with him to eventually spit something original, as a character growth moment? Sounds like a really interesting character to me.

Oh I wasn't ragging on the idea. Just making a funny. I forgot to use blue text.