PDA

View Full Version : Kensai Weapon Juggling

strangebloke
2017-08-10, 11:50 AM
Reading through the thread for the UA that introduced that Kensai, I'm considering playing one.

So, the Kensai as it currently stands is kind of poorly written. Martial weapons that you're proficient with become 'kensai weapons.' However martial arts won't apply to any unarmed strikes you make while wielding a kensai weapon, since martial arts only applies if you are either unarmed, or wielding a monk weapon. (Kensai weapons are not monk weapons.)

So this seems to be kind of wonky. you can't flurry worth crap while wielding your kensai weapon, for one thing.

Moreover, there's a kensai ability that just really doesn't seem to function as intended. If you make an unarmed strike as part of your attack action while holding a kensai weapon, you get +2 AC. So in order to get that +2 AC you effectively need to burn a weapon attack on a 1+STR attack, which seems kind of horrible.

So there's a few ways to avoid making crappy unarmed strikes, but I just wanted to be clear that the method I had thought of worked:

round 1: close with enemy, flurry, attack using martial arts, use item interaction to draw your weapon, get +2 to AC.
round 2: attack using weapon, use item interaction to sheathe weapon, flurry.

(if you have multiple attacks, you can draw/sheathe partway through your attack action for +2 AC and bonus damage)

Does this work? Should I just ask my DM to allow martial arts to function while I am wielding a monk weapon?

Master O'Laughs
2017-08-10, 11:58 AM
Reading through the thread for the UA that introduced that Kensai, I'm considering playing one.

So, the Kensai as it currently stands is kind of poorly written. Martial weapons that you're proficient with become 'kensai weapons.' However martial arts won't apply to any unarmed strikes you make while wielding a kensai weapon, since martial arts only applies if you are either unarmed, or wielding a monk weapon. (Kensai weapons are not monk weapons.)

So this seems to be kind of wonky. you can't flurry worth crap while wielding your kensai weapon, for one thing.

Moreover, there's a kensai ability that just really doesn't seem to function as intended. If you make an unarmed strike as part of your attack action while holding a kensai weapon, you get +2 AC. So in order to get that +2 AC you effectively need to burn a weapon attack on a 1+STR attack, which seems kind of horrible.

So there's a few ways to avoid making crappy unarmed strikes, but I just wanted to be clear that the method I had thought of worked:

round 1: close with enemy, flurry, attack using martial arts, use item interaction to draw your weapon, get +2 to AC.
round 2: attack using weapon, use item interaction to sheathe weapon, flurry.

(if you have multiple attacks, you can draw/sheathe partway through your attack action for +2 AC and bonus damage)

Does this work? Should I just ask my DM to allow martial arts to function while I am wielding a monk weapon?

They revised the Kensei in the revised subclasses UA found here (https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf).

They make some changes, Kensai weapons are now monk weapons, you can no longer use Dex to wield a greatsword

EDIT: Fixed link

strangebloke
2017-08-10, 12:23 PM
Huh.

Well that's... really boring.

Like I can see that the class is functional still, it just seems to be very non-interactive now.

Thanks for the link.

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-10, 12:35 PM
Yeah just replace it with lets you use any weapon kensai weapons become monl weapons i fet it who doesnt want to be a monk and use a naginata

Mikal
2017-08-10, 01:28 PM
Yeah just replace it with lets you use any weapon kensai weapons become monl weapons i fet it who doesnt want to be a monk and use a naginata

Yeah, cause who cares if you can GWM with dex? Balance lol what's that?

Sariel Vailo
2017-08-10, 02:11 PM

If its fun for you balance can eat dragon balls

strangebloke
2017-08-10, 02:13 PM

It's not actually a serious balance issue. Just because no current class can do it doesn't mean that its overpowered.

alchahest
2017-08-10, 02:58 PM
It's really not all that extra powerful to allow it. Monks are already kind of ASI starved, having dex, wis, and con that they want to have pretty high, if they want to spend a feat on GWM to allow a really cool naginata style or like those greatsword sword dancing elves from warhammer I don't see it as a really big deal. They already have a lot to use their bonus action on that the GWM extra attack will be fighting for space from.

Spiritchaser
2017-08-10, 03:06 PM
I'm hoping they put dex glaive back in for the final revision. Because Oberyn.

strangebloke
2017-08-10, 04:07 PM
I'm hoping they put dex glaive back in for the final revision. Because Oberyn.

I concur. Monk abilities and reach interact in a cool way.