PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #1090 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2017-08-10, 12:34 PM
New comic is up.

HandofShadows
2017-08-10, 12:37 PM
Levitate a whole army? :smallcool: Just to see that.

Xihirli
Flumphs are back!

Johanz
Just one more reason to have your character gain flight asap :)

Itrogash
Ah, sounds like another fun round of good old "the floor is dwarf hammer to the neck" :-P

Traab
2017-08-10, 12:38 PM
Aerial bombardment. Lich boy could fly in on dragon back and meteor swarm everything on the surface.

woweedd
Woo! THE FLUMPHS ARE BACK! Their first time in this new art style, if I remember correctly. Also, why does the Dwarf want to fight them? Flumphs are Good-Aligned. Stop being so Speciesist. The poor things have suffered enough!:smallfrown:

Absol197
Heh, the return of the flumphs! :smallsmile:

That's a very...interesting way to handle your border security. I think Bandana's got it right.

knag
2017-08-10, 12:39 PM
FLUMPHS!!!

I love them in the new art style... and they didn't get squished!

Svata
2017-08-10, 12:40 PM
Yay, flumphs! And don't attack the flumphs, young dwarf. They're Good!

Quebbster
2017-08-10, 12:40 PM
Has it been five hundred strips since we last saw the flumphs? They look good in the new art style.
Also, the ways of the dwarves are indeed strange. Bandana got it right.

Peelee
2017-08-10, 12:42 PM
Your art is the prettiest art of all the art.

Gift Jeraff
2017-08-10, 12:43 PM
Has it been five hundred strips since we last saw the flumphs? They look good in the new art style.
Also, the ways of the dwarves are indeed strange. Bandana got it right.

285 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0805.html) + 10 characters

Yxylu
2017-08-10, 12:43 PM
Only counting the main comic, and not the calendars, we haven't seen the flumphs since September 15th of 2011 - almost 6 years.

MReav
2017-08-10, 12:45 PM
Aerial bombardment. Lich boy could fly in on dragon back and meteor swarm everything on the surface.

Dwarves primarily live underground, so most of their stuff wouldn't be affected, and by attacking the ground itself, Lich boy invites retaliation, since that part is part of their territorial holdings.

Granted, there's not much the Dwarves could do, unless they've got some sort of Epic Level spellcaster or super-Epic non-primary spellcaster.

chy03001
2017-08-10, 12:49 PM
Thanks Giant!

Really looking forward to the interior of the Dwarven fortresses.

I wonder if the smoke is just smoke from bellows or an indicator of the destruction from the vampires.

2D8HP
2017-08-10, 12:51 PM
First rule of Dwarven security:

What's above ye is na import!

super dark33
2017-08-10, 12:54 PM
The Flumphs are slowly moving up in the world! They certienly seem to have it better than they did early on.

Lathund
2017-08-10, 12:56 PM
FLUMPHS!!!

Yet :smallamused:

Keltest
2017-08-10, 12:56 PM
I recognize the difficulty of drawing shield straps for such short arms, but is anybody else weirded out by the one strap for Dwarf Lass' shield being in her armpit?

Doug Lampert
2017-08-10, 12:58 PM

Good catch.

I'm also with Bandana.

2D8HP
2017-08-10, 01:02 PM
FLUMPHS!!!!

Flumph. My favorite monster is the flumph...

*ahem*

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
I like soft Flumphs I cannot lie
other adventurers may deny
when they're on their back they cannot fly
if the Fiend Folio ain't no lie
The Monster Manual may say scat
well I ain't down wit that
Got to roll wit flying jellyfish yo!
Flying Jellyfish go!
Eyestalk ladies hey!...
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫♫

Quebbster
2017-08-10, 01:02 PM

I knew there was something I forgot. Last I remember was 526 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0526.html)

Chei
2017-08-10, 01:04 PM
Heh, nice little one-page gag, I like it. Also, a new detail on dwarven society that makes perfect sense due to their lifestyle. Also those dudes! *reads previous comments* Flumphs! Yeah! I totally remembered that name.

RyanW1019
2017-08-10, 01:06 PM
First page! :smallbiggrin:

And I wonder how close Firmament is to the edge of dwarven lands?

Ruck
2017-08-10, 01:08 PM
Your art is the prettiest art of all the art.

I'm not really into strippers. You know what I find sexy? Pam's art.

Arkku
2017-08-10, 01:08 PM
I'd almost forgotten the flumphs! And this time they aren't even being mistreated...

woweedd
2017-08-10, 01:09 PM
I'd almost forgotten the flumphs! And this time they aren't even being mistreated...
Yet.:smallfrown:

sillymel
2017-08-10, 01:12 PM
Is the first strip where the Flumphs weren't mistreated at all?

GudBelkarIsGud
2017-08-10, 01:13 PM
Oh, those poor, poor levitating tentacle monsters... I'm going to guess that one or two of the named characters will be falling onto them sometime soon...

On another note: Is dwarf society supposed to be strictly lawful good (please excuse the lack of D&D knowledge)? Between Durkon and these unnamed city guardians being such huge sticklers for following rules and duty, I'm wondering just how deep the alignment runs.

Basement Cat
2017-08-10, 01:15 PM
The Flumphs are back! Happy days are here again! I'm doing an archive dive now and I've missed the Flumphs so much lately.

My morale just took a +2 increase. :smallsmile:

On a separate note: They've finally reached the Dwarf lands. It's time to get serious.

Hardcore
2017-08-10, 01:16 PM
Dwarfs Are Nuts, but not seeds.

woweedd
2017-08-10, 01:17 PM
Oh, those poor, poor levitating tentacle monsters... I'm going to guess that one or two of the named characters will be falling onto them sometime soon...

On another note: Is dwarf society supposed to be strictly lawful good (please excuse the lack of D&D knowledge)? Between Durkon and these unnamed city guardians being such huge sticklers for following rules and duty, I'm wondering just how deep the alignment runs.
Hey! Not all monsters are Evil, you know!
Also, on the second topic, I imagine a literal metaphysical honor system that one must adhere to or face eternal torment would the to lead to Lawfulness, by default.

Kantaki
2017-08-10, 01:18 PM
I for one think the dwarves are reasonable there. They live underground. What do they care about people hanging around over their lands?
Not like they can do much without entering the tunnels- and floating or not then they are in dwarven territory.
Okay, they could block all those pretty vital looking chimneys.
On a second thought...

Ironsmith
2017-08-10, 01:18 PM
Something that might help mitigate this a bit... most of the dwarves' stuff are underground, so levitating over the ground isn't going to do much to them. And while they might not immediately consider everything in the air a threat, there's no reason to assume that they're completely ignorant of everything that flies overhead, so they're probably still well-defended against people who aren't teleporting over their lands.

knag
2017-08-10, 01:33 PM
And I wonder how close Firmament is to the edge of dwarven lands?

It's on the northern edge of the Pinnacle Mountains (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1044.html), in the far northwest of the Dwarven Lands. Still a decent ways from Kraagor's Tomb, but since the Mechane ran Passage Pass in one day, I don't think it'd take them long to get there once they're done vampire slaying.

LtPowers
2017-08-10, 01:42 PM
Good grief; it's a running gag!

Quebbster
2017-08-10, 01:48 PM
Is the first strip where the Flumphs weren't mistreated at all?
No (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0210.html) it's (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0444.html) not. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0805.html)

b_jonas
2017-08-10, 01:51 PM
How would a general levitate a whole army? That sounds hard. It's not like there's some spell (http://magiccards.info/m10/en/60.html) that can levitate any number of people you choose, that would be broken. We've seen how even the powerful Vaarsuvius had to cast flight spells on each of the Order one by one, and Haley's flight wand targets only one person too.

8BitNinja
2017-08-10, 01:53 PM
Something tells me that the Dwarves might need to rewrite their border policies.

Rogan
2017-08-10, 02:00 PM
FLUMPHS!!!

Yet :smallamused:

Exactly my thought :smallbiggrin:

I mean, the mechane is not allowed to land, so it might fly realy low and the order will jump the last feets? They have to land somewhere if they do

Shale
2017-08-10, 02:03 PM
As soon as I saw that panel my first thought was "I guess now we know how Roy & co are going to dismount from the airship if it can't land...."

Manty5
2017-08-10, 02:06 PM
The fact that not much new happened this strip except the flumphs arriving makes them a Chekov's Pillow.

NihhusHuotAliro
2017-08-10, 02:06 PM
-wipes away a single glorious tear-

I never thought I'd live to see the flumphs again. I am a happy soul.

martianmister
2017-08-10, 02:09 PM
Why do they wants to attack Flumphs?

The MunchKING
2017-08-10, 02:16 PM

That's why SENSIBLE Dwarves live underground with a big old mountain protecting them from that, just like Odin intended. :p

hrožila
2017-08-10, 02:39 PM
They don't want to attack the Flumphs, they want to halt them to make them state their business before allowing them into Dwarven lands.

IDrankWHAT
2017-08-10, 02:43 PM
I have a bad feeling about this....RUN AWAY FLUMPHS! RU....wait....GLIDE AWAY FLUMPHS! GLIDE AWAY!!!!

Chei
2017-08-10, 02:48 PM
Of all the things to fall on the Flumphs, I really hope it's Belkar with his new Feather Fall item. That'd be a cute send-off to a cruel joke those floating bros don't deserve.

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-10, 02:56 PM
. Also, why does the Dwarf want to fight them? Flumphs are Good-Aligned. Stop being so Speciesist. The poor things have suffered enough!:smallfrown: Border guard. I don't think there was some kind of fight about to erupt.

Yay, flumphs! And don't attack the flumphs, young dwarf. They're Good! Border guard.
That's why SENSIBLE Dwarves live underground with a big old mountain protecting them from that, just like Odin intended. :p yeah, and trees don't grow underground.

I love Bandana's comment in the last panel.
"They fight trees! Dwarves're nuts!"

About the smoke coming out of smoke stacks: dwarven foundaries, and a few kitchens preparing food.

Zenjirou
2017-08-10, 02:57 PM
Nice to see another quick update.

So those noodle-y alien dudes are called Flumphs? TIL.

Samzat
2017-08-10, 03:05 PM
good to see those flumphs get an art upgrade

factotum
2017-08-10, 03:11 PM
I wonder if the smoke is just smoke from bellows or an indicator of the destruction from the vampires.

I'm pretty sure if the smoke were unusual Bandana would have mentioned it, since she's been here before. Furthermore, we've seen no indications in the strips the vampires appeared in that they were actually setting things on fire, they just seemed to be killing a cleric or two.

Jasdoif
2017-08-10, 03:15 PM
I'm pretty sure if the smoke were unusual Bandana would have mentioned it, since she's been here before. Furthermore, we've seen no indications in the strips the vampires appeared in that they were actually setting things on fire, they just seemed to be killing a cleric or two.Also, there are chimneys coming out of the ground where the smoke seems to originate.

Syncrogti
2017-08-10, 03:16 PM

Flying gag?

Svata
2017-08-10, 03:17 PM
Nice to see another quick update.

So those noodle-y alien dudes are called Flumphs? TIL.

And they're good-aligned!

faustin
2017-08-10, 03:20 PM
I am imagining Leeky Windstaff sending a levitating arboreal army to take over the dwarf lands.:smallbiggrin:

Rogan
2017-08-10, 03:31 PM
I am imagining Leeky Windstaff sending a levitating arboreal army to take over the dwarf lands.:smallbiggrin:

Flying trees? What kind of sorcery is this?

ManuelSacha
2017-08-10, 03:39 PM
No (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0210.html) it's (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0444.html) not. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0805.html)

To be honest, there's implied off-panel violence in the first one. :smalltongue:

Rogar Demonblud

Because the dwarves cornered the market in Lawful Stupid.

137beth
Right. As long as nothing causes the Mechane to touch the ground, by, say, crashing, they’ll be fine.

The MunchKING
2017-08-10, 03:44 PM
Right. As long as nothing causes the Mechane to touch the ground, by, say, crashing, they’ll be fine.

Dwarves may be nuts, but they are rational beings. If the Mechanea did crash, the border guard would probably just hold them until they could check out their paperwork and such.

I mean in the context, that would slow them down from fighting the vampires, but the Dwarves wouldn't be a serious problem themselves I would assume.

Quebbster
2017-08-10, 03:55 PM
To be honest, there's implied off-panel violence in the first one. :smalltongue:

Yeah, but I wanted three examples and nothing happens in the strip itself.

Hiro Quester
2017-08-10, 04:12 PM
Wasn't there an earlier strip in which someone talked about getting a pass to take the mechane over Dwarven lands?

Edit: nope. it was elves who protect their airspace (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0938.html).

Chei
2017-08-10, 04:16 PM
Wasn't there an earlier strip in which someone talked about getting a pass to take the mechane over Dwarven lands?

I think that was Elven lands, actually.

Hiro Quester
2017-08-10, 04:18 PM
Ninja'd as I was editing to avoid a repeat post.

Chei
2017-08-10, 04:37 PM
Ninja'd as I was editing to avoid a repeat post.

At least, unlike me, you went out and found the link showing it. I think you ultimately managed to defeat the ninja.

... but we will return. We always do.

Teln
2017-08-10, 05:32 PM
I for one think the dwarves are reasonable there. They live underground. What do they care about people hanging around over their lands?
Not like they can do much without entering the tunnels- and floating or not then they are in dwarven territory.
Okay, they could block all those pretty vital looking chimneys.
On a second thought...

What is a chimney but a tunnel that happens to be vertical?

Unoriginal
2017-08-10, 05:34 PM

I always found this page incredibly funny.

You know, it's a shame Sabine and Elan never interracted outside of Nale's plans to kill his twin.

They do share quite a lot of character traits, when you think about it. Easily distracted, enthusiast and optimist, a laid-back attitude to life that hides how resourceful they can be, happiness at the fact of being a supportive sidekick rather than taking center stage, a care-free view of seduction (although Elan stopped doing that due to his relationship with Haley), boundless admiration for their leaders that never the less don't stop them from voicing their opinions and tell when they think the leader is erring, and even some level of "strange minds think alike" and similar reactions to certain events (ex: how Sabine reacted to Pompey's spells wearing off compared to how Elan reacted to weapon not going through the Succubus's DR (though I admit it might be a stretch)).

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-10, 05:43 PM
Thanks for another great strip Giant! I'm REALLY happy to see the flumphs, but I think I like the old art better for them. And, sadly, they might get squashed soon. Here's to hoping they don't.

Even if it would be kinda funny. :)

JumboWheat01
2017-08-10, 05:48 PM
Just a simple little page today, induces a little giggle at the flumphs.

Also, as much as I may enjoy playing them, I will agree, dwarves are nuts.

woweedd
2017-08-10, 06:19 PM
I always found this page incredibly funny.

You know, it's a shame Sabine and Elan never interracted outside of Nale's plans to kill his twin.

They do share quite a lot of character traits, when you think about it. Easily distracted, enthusiast and optimist, a laid-back attitude to life that hides how resourceful they can be, happiness at the fact of being a supportive sidekick rather than taking center stage, a care-free view of seduction (although Elan stopped doing that due to his relationship with Haley), boundless admiration for their leaders that never the less don't stop them from voicing their opinions and tell when they think the leader is erring, and even some level of "strange minds think alike" and similar reactions to certain events (ex: how Sabine reacted to Pompey's spells wearing off compared to how Elan reacted to weapon not going through the Succubus's DR (though I admit it might be a stretch)).
The main difference being that Elan is one of the most kind-hearted characters in the entire strip, whereas Sabine is a literal embodiment of Evil that walks like a woman. Still, interesting analysis.

t209
2017-08-10, 06:53 PM
Thanks for another great strip Giant! I'm REALLY happy to see the flumphs, but I think I like the old art better for them. And, sadly, they might get squashed soon. Here's to hoping they don't.

Even if it would be kinda funny. :)

Yeah, FLUMPHS!

Shoelessgdowar
2017-08-10, 07:09 PM

Flying gag?

More of a hovering or levitating gag, but sure.

sotanaht
2017-08-10, 07:12 PM
A few observations:
They control the tunnels and the doors. An army could pass through above, but they would have to be stopped were they to try and enter, levitate or no.
One would assume that controlling the ground, the Dwarves would retaliate were an army to attempt attacking the ground, even if they were not standing on it.
Just because it's not part of their territory doesn't mean they won't attack you first if they really don't like you.

danielxcutter
2017-08-10, 07:35 PM
Wait, Flumphs are Good?

ti'esar
2017-08-10, 07:42 PM
Yaaay, the flumphs!

Unoriginal
2017-08-10, 07:52 PM
The main difference being that Elan is one of the most kind-hearted characters in the entire strip, whereas Sabine is a literal embodiment of Evil that walks like a woman. Still, interesting analysis.

Well, sure.

It's just interesting that as much as the Linear Guild's setup is said to have Elan-Nale and Haley-Sabine as Good/Evil counterparts, Elan and Sabine are way more similar as characters -except opposite on the Good/Evil axis- than their respective "traditional" opponents.

Hell, even their fighting styles is kinda similar: close melee mobile combatants despite being relatively fragile using illusion/shapeshifting as misdirection and Negative/Posistive Energy, and who are dangerous not because of the attacks themselves but due to the CHA-based signature power they add to it.

A few observations:
They control the tunnels and the doors. An army could pass through above, but they would have to be stopped were they to try and enter, levitate or no.
One would assume that controlling the ground, the Dwarves would retaliate were an army to attempt attacking the ground, even if they were not standing on it.
Just because it's not part of their territory doesn't mean they won't attack you first if they really don't like you.

At worse, throw some soil at the enemies, it should make them touch it.

Wait, Flumphs are Good?

Yup. They're basically always benevolent Aberrations

Svata
2017-08-10, 07:55 PM
Wait, Flumphs are Good?

They most certainly are.

Chei
2017-08-10, 08:19 PM
I like how this thread has basically been "The flumphs are back! Now let's plan an invasion of the dwarven homeland."

Goosefarble
2017-08-10, 09:50 PM
My beautiful flumphy boys I love

Kish
2017-08-10, 10:16 PM
Wait, Flumphs are Good?
Lawful Good by default.

IntelectPaladin
2017-08-10, 10:39 PM
Once again, Mr. Burlew, well done!

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-10, 11:05 PM
Flumphs are good? Yeah, with salza verde, marinara sauce, or siracha after being lightly roasted over a pecan wood fire. Any citrus fruit and avacado for a side dish. White wine, pino grigio, completes the meal.
(Look, when I lived in Italy years ago, I had to eat a lot of squid. I eventually got to like it. Flumph is D&D Calimari).

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-10, 11:43 PM
Flumphs are good? Yeah, with salza verde, marinara sauce, or siracha after being lightly roasted over a pecan wood fire. Any citrus fruit and avacado for a side dish. White wine, pino grigio, completes the meal.

You monster! Eating the delicious flesh of the only Lawful Good aberration? Unheard of ! :-)

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-10, 11:44 PM
More of a hovering or levitating gag, but sure.
By the end of the gag, they aren't really levitating anymore though :-)

Centaur
2017-08-11, 12:34 AM
Chekhov’s Flumphs! Somebody is going to have to disembark without the vehicle landing. Possibly the frost giantess. We haven’t seen her land, have we?

goto124
2017-08-11, 12:49 AM
At worse, throw some soil at the enemies, it should make them touch it.

Literally throwing dirt at the enemy.

factotum
2017-08-11, 01:27 AM
Chekhov’s Flumphs! Somebody is going to have to disembark without the vehicle landing. Possibly the frost giantess. We haven’t seen her land, have we?

We may not have seen her land, but we definitely saw her falling off the Mechane, so how would she be back aboard it now? More to the point, where would someone that size hide aboard the ship?

Blatt
2017-08-11, 03:02 AM
Don't get too comfortable floating octopus things - a member of the Order if the Stick could decide to visit the bathroom at any moment. :smallbiggrin:

After all, it's been more than a thousand strips since they last did that.

Centaur
2017-08-11, 03:08 AM
We may not have seen her land, but we definitely saw her falling off the Mechane, so how would she be back aboard it now? More to the point, where would someone that size hide aboard the ship?

While the most probable interpretation of the cutaway panel 5 is “at this same time, somewhere in the dwarven lands”, it might also be “not long ago, somewhere in the dwarven lands”.

warmachine
2017-08-11, 04:39 AM
Sooner or later, someone will disabuse the dwarves of the notion that airspace is not important. As airships can be manufactured without high level spellcasters, lots can be made to carry elite troops and strike strategic locations for an invading army. Think of modern day paratroopers or marines except unimpeded ability to move from location to location.

factotum
2017-08-11, 06:06 AM
While the most probable interpretation of the cutaway panel 5 is “at this same time, somewhere in the dwarven lands”, it might also be “not long ago, somewhere in the dwarven lands”.

OK, so what does a cutaway panel referring to two Flumphs have to do with the frost giantess they threw overboard back when they were in the mountains?

Quebbster
2017-08-11, 06:37 AM
OK, so what does a cutaway panel referring to two Flumphs have to do with the frost giantess they threw overboard back when they were in the mountains?

I Think he's hoping that the Flumphs will break the Furkini Menace's fall.

Reboot
2017-08-11, 06:56 AM
Let's point out here that the Flumphs are a "What If?" spot from Roy, not a real spot check.

hamishspence
2017-08-11, 07:03 AM
Possibly... However I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's like here - a cutaway to the flumphs themselves:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0444.html

Goblin_Priest
2017-08-11, 07:08 AM

Because their purpose is to stop falls.

We now know they were there for the giantress. Lead Female saved.

Centaur
2017-08-11, 08:48 AM

We have seen a fall but no landing. We now see flumphs but no one landing on them. Two untied, mutually complementary shoelaces.

I’m not “hoping” for it. Just pointing out a possibility.

elros
2017-08-11, 09:17 AM
So the Dwarves leave the Mechane alone and allow the crew safe passage over their lands, and Bandana's response is to insult the entire race. Real classy. She should learn to be more tolerant to people different than her.

Unoriginal
2017-08-11, 10:00 AM
So the Dwarves leave the Mechane alone and allow the crew safe passage over their lands, and Bandana's response is to insult the entire race

They allow powerful military vehicles to fly over their lands without concern (not safe passage, they just don't care about what happen there). It's not nice to say they're weird, true, but the Dwarves aren't doing them a favor.

Ave
2017-08-11, 10:19 AM
So the Dwarves leave the Mechane alone and allow the crew safe passage over their lands, and Bandana's response is to insult the entire race. Real classy. She should learn to be more tolerant to people different than her.

Nope, there is no evidence the dwarves seen the Mechane (thus they cannot "leave it alone"). One of them almost bothers the scary looking but good-aligned Flumphs, though.

I wonder if the Flumphs are in the wrong time/place again, but so far, it looks like they avoided the falling giantess and the sword.

Shoelessgdowar
2017-08-11, 10:40 AM
Nope, there is no evidence the dwarves seen the Mechane (thus they cannot "leave it alone"). One of them almost bothers the scary looking but good-aligned Flumphs, though.

I wonder if the Flumphs are in the wrong time/place again, but so far, it looks like they avoided the falling giantess and the sword.
Sword is not a problem anymore... Roy has it. Unless you think we'll see cutaway to a Sword hole in a dead Flumph and the dead make giant atop it.

Pretty sure the Flumphs in this strip aren't the present day but a reference event to how Dwarves act

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-11, 10:52 AM
Going back to the humor and comedy writing course that I took (about 40) years ago, the Flumphs are a running gag.

Well, they don't run so much as float, so they're a floating gag. (Doubly so if you don't like to eat Calimari) :smallbiggrin:
Flumphs, the Floating Gag. Yeah, I like that. And like one of the above posters mentioned, I hope one of them broke the Furkin Menace's fall. I'd like to see her in the strip again.

By the way, the following strip to 444 i (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0445.html)s a lovely example of combining two kinds of comedy for good effect. The parody of the song has a bunch of mini jokes in it, but the clincher is Belkar's three panels at the bottom. I laughed again at that, even though I've read it a few times before. Timing, and change of direction. Good comedy.

Unoriginal
2017-08-11, 10:57 AM
Furkini Menace doesn't need Flumphs to break her fall. As she said, what kind of warrior can't survive a fall like this?

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-11, 10:59 AM
Wait, Flumphs are Good?

Also, this is what makes the last panel of OOTS #55 (and also panel 10 of OOTS #75) funny

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-11, 11:00 AM
Furkini Menace doesn't need Flumphs to break her fall. As she said, what kind of warrior can't survive a fall like this? Point taken.
She's a lady. She's a warrior. She's got mostly blue art. She's like another favorite of mine, so to our Furkini Menace, I say: Lien in, sister. :smallbiggrin:

elros
2017-08-11, 11:20 AM
Nope, there is no evidence the dwarves seen the Mechane (thus they cannot "leave it alone").
To quote Bandana "As long as the Mechane don't touch the ground, they won't bother us none"
Pretty self-explanatory.

Bob_McSurly
2017-08-11, 11:22 AM
Point taken.
She's a lady. She's a warrior. She's got mostly blue art. She's like another favorite of mine, so to our Furkini Menace, I say: Lien in, sister. :smallbiggrin:

Until I got to the Lien in part, I actually guessed you were talking about Miko. They both are very dedicated, honour-bound, warrior women, serving their respective gods, and (unlike Lien) trying to kill the Order of the Stick :)

Jaxzan Proditor
2017-08-11, 02:54 PM
The opening art was beautiful, and it was nice to see the Flumphs in the new style. Also, this strip was strangely exactly how'd I'd expect Dwarves to set their boundaries.

danielxcutter
2017-08-11, 05:01 PM
Point taken.

Oh Twelve Gods, that pun was genius.

Anarion
2017-08-11, 06:31 PM
Well, a lighthearted transition might be just what the doctor ordered here. Hopefully, the order has no trouble rappelling down.

Chei
2017-08-11, 06:40 PM
Well, a lighthearted transition might be just what the doctor ordered here. Hopefully, the order has no trouble rappelling down.

Elan took Dashing Swordsman and has been shown on-panel to expertly swing down. Haley is a rogue with 20+ Dexterity (and can zap her flying wand). V can fly. Belkar has Feather Fall.

... Roy.

Keltest
2017-08-11, 06:47 PM
Elan took Dashing Swordsman and has been shown on-panel to expertly swing down. Haley is a rogue with 20+ Dexterity (and can zap her flying wand). V can fly. Belkar has Feather Fall.

... Roy.

If only there was some sort of spellcasting class that could share buffs with the party to allow them things like flight or feather fall.

Or perhaps a rope.

Svata
2017-08-11, 07:16 PM
Or if there was a class known for being meaty. Having lots of HP. Tanking damage. Wearing heavy armor. A fighting man.

Chei
2017-08-11, 07:29 PM
If only there was some sort of spellcasting class that could share buffs with the party to allow them things like flight or feather fall.

Or perhaps a rope.

Or if there was a class known for being meaty. Having lots of HP. Tanking damage. Wearing heavy armor. A fighting man.

You silly folks with your wild hypotheticals. Take it to the mechanics threads.

8BitNinja
2017-08-11, 07:53 PM
The Flumphs are back! Happy days are here again! I'm doing an archive dive now and I've missed the Flumphs so much lately.

My morale just took a +2 increase. :smallsmile:

On a separate note: They've finally reached the Dwarf lands. It's time to get serious.

It's good to know that you now have an increased chance of not deserting the forum.

Snails
2017-08-12, 12:10 AM
It's just interesting that as much as the Linear Guild's setup is said to have Elan-Nale and Haley-Sabine as Good/Evil counterparts, Elan and Sabine are way more similar as characters -except opposite on the Good/Evil axis- than their respective "traditional" opponents.

Hell, even their fighting styles is kinda similar: close melee mobile combatants despite being relatively fragile using illusion/shapeshifting as misdirection and Negative/Posistive Energy, and who are dangerous not because of the attacks themselves but due to the CHA-based signature power they add to it.

I think you are right. The the evil opposite gag never really worked when comparing the Order and the the Linear Guild because the apparent pairings by appearance had so little to sustain them.

However, yes, the Sidekick pairing makes some real sense, as does the Leader pairing (Roy and Nale) -- two people who rather too clever and stubborn for their own good and are trying to get over daddy issues.

Manty5
2017-08-12, 01:57 AM

Perhaps you should go review how Roy, Belkar and clerical company got from aboard the Mechanae to the Godsmoot.

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-12, 09:05 AM
Until I got to the Lien in part, I actually guessed you were talking about Miko. They both are very dedicated, honour-bound, warrior women, serving their respective gods, and (unlike Lien) trying to kill the Order of the Stick :) As I was finishing that post, I realized that Miko was also a lady, a warrior, mostly blue, etc. But I was unable to get a pun out of that to replace the one I wanted to use, so I guess "humor fail" is me. :smallfrown: I'll maybe get inspired later ...

Dwarfurious
2017-08-12, 11:44 AM
Lemme just add my two dwarven cents here. Flumps aint our enemies and neither is the airship unless it starts attacking, as soon as a single arrow touches the ground its an act of aggression and then we'll take action.
However if you are already an enemy of the Dwarfs, like a tree, you do not need to be in our territory for us to want to attack you so the sky will not be your salvation. Floating on by simply does not cause you to go from Neutral/Unknown to Enemy.

Manty5
2017-08-12, 11:35 PM
Good thing airships aren't made of wood, then.

factotum
2017-08-13, 01:11 AM

Just going to leave this here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sch%C3%BCtte-Lanz_airships

JumboWheat01
2017-08-13, 07:57 AM

I don't think it's WOOD the dwarves have problems with, it's when the wood is still part of a living tree. Then all bets are off and it must be slain for the good of the dwarven nation. Wood is, after all, just the looting benefits of slaying a mighty beast and has some good uses, such as weapon handles for axes, or stocks for crossbows and as part of bolts too.

And then it can be turned upon more living trees, to slay for more wood loot!

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-13, 08:10 AM
I don't think it's WOOD the dwarves have problems with, it's when the wood is still part of a living tree. Then all bets are off and it must be slain for the good of the dwarven nation. Wood is, after all, just the looting benefits of slaying a mighty beast and has some good uses, such as weapon handles for axes, or stocks for crossbows and as part of bolts too.

And then it can be turned upon more living trees, to slay for more wood loot!
I see the making of a self licking ice cream cone there. :) Or at least for a perpetual state of adventuring.

Random Poster
2017-08-13, 10:00 AM
I knew there was something I forgot. Last I remember was 526 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0526.html)

Apparently you've also forgotten 695 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0695.html). (And yes, you could argue it doesn't count, but you could also argue it does.)

Quebbster
2017-08-13, 10:44 AM
Apparently you've also forgotten 695 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0695.html). (And yes, you could argue it doesn't count, but you could also argue it does.)

I'll argue it does count since I had forgotten it.

Lyracian
2017-08-13, 11:20 AM
Flumphs are back!
Yeah! The true heroes have returned.

8BitNinja
2017-08-13, 01:10 PM
Point taken.

Don't you know? Lein was the Furkini Menace the entire time.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-08-13, 02:16 PM
Wood is, after all, just the looting benefits of slaying a mighty beast and has some good uses, such as weapon handles for axes, or stocks for crossbows and as part of bolts too.

Silly plant, dwarves don't use wood for any of that. They use steel, because ye canna trust a tree, even a dead one.

Besides, they're too busy turning dead trees into barrels for ale, brandy, beer, whisky, etc.

JumboWheat01
2017-08-13, 02:19 PM
Silly plant, dwarves don't use wood for any of that. They use steel, because ye canna trust a tree, even a dead one.

Besides, they're too busy turning dead trees into barrels for ale, brandy, beer, whisky, etc.

Trust me to go right for the weapons instead of the best and true use for wood. Should've thought of that in the first place.

JWT
2017-08-13, 03:03 PM
Flumphs are back!

YAY for Boomerang Flumphs

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-13, 03:36 PM
Don't you know? Lein was the Furkini Menace the entire time. If you'd pay more attention to the plot, you'd see that Lien currently playing Go with O'Chul while observing the successes/failures of Team Evil at Kraggor's Tomb.

Not to mention that the Furkini Menace is a healthy, curvy gal: certainly not lean. :smallbiggrin:

Trust me to go right for the weapons instead of the best and true use for wood. Should've thought of that in the first place. There was a gal who worked at a (shady) bar down the road a bit from our town who may argue with you about the best uses for wood, but maybe I'd better stop there.

Ornithologist
2017-08-13, 07:03 PM
There was a comic, don't remember which one, where there was a one panel gag that showed 2 dwarves talking about the dwarven military's anti tree campaign. they mention a cabinet offensive

Rogar Demonblud
2017-08-14, 10:18 AM
On the Origin of PCs, when the High Priest woke up Durkon to throw him out the door.

Quibblicious
2017-08-14, 10:30 AM
Levitate a whole army? :smallcool: Just to see that.

Meh, teleporting (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0643.html)armies is more impressive...

Flumphs are back!

Woo! THE FLUMPHS ARE BACK! Their first time in this new art style, if I remember correctly. Also, why does the Dwarf want to fight them? Flumphs are Good-Aligned. Stop being so Speciesist. The poor things have suffered enough!:smallfrown:

The Dwarf has never seen one.

Just like most adventurers :smallbiggrin:

Thanks Giant!

Really looking forward to the interior of the Dwarven fortresses.

It;s smoke from cooking fires, forges, et al; you may as well route as much as you can through the fewest chimneys -- it's more secure and probably more efficient.

First rule of Dwarven security:

What's above ye is na import!

Rule 0 of Dwarven Security:

What's above you should be very thick stone, preferably a mountain.

Dwarves are funny that way...

Q

Grey_Wolf_c
2017-08-14, 10:38 AM
It;s smoke from cooking fires, forges, et al; you may as well route as much as you can through the fewest chimneys -- it's more secure and probably more efficient.

Q

Huh. There's a concept I've never considered. I'll grant you the security aspect of it (especially in a world were there are fire-resistant monsters that don't need to breath), and its certainly more efficient to dig one chimney than many, but I wonder how that would work out from a flow-through perspective. Is there a known limit to the capacity of a chimney? I'd expect that, like with pipes of water, you can't simply hook up multiple fireplaces to one chimney without having to enlarge it sooner or later.

GW

Keltest
2017-08-14, 11:01 AM
Huh. There's a concept I've never considered. I'll grant you the security aspect of it (especially in a world were there are fire-resistant monsters that don't need to breath), and its certainly more efficient to dig one chimney than many, but I wonder how that would work out from a flow-through perspective. Is there a known limit to the capacity of a chimney? I'd expect that, like with pipes of water, you can't simply hook up multiple fireplaces to one chimney without having to enlarge it sooner or later.

GW

There is, kind of, but its less about the chimney itself and more about how much of a draft you can get going. Normally they work because the air at the ground (or underground, in this case) level is more dense than the air at the top of the chimney, and that inside it. Between that and the heat, it creates a natural draft where the air in the chimney really wants to rise. The capacity of the chimney isn't really the biggest throttling point, its the draft. Changing the dimensions of the chimney can alter the draft positively or negatively. Rule of thumb, taller will make it stronger, wider will make it weaker, though you cant do that indefinitely.

factotum
2017-08-14, 04:01 PM
The real problem would come if you had a dozen fireplaces going into the same chimney, but only one of them was lit--you need to nicely heat all the air in the chimney to make the airflow work properly, and a single fire out of twelve might not be able to do that, with the result the smoke and fumes from that one fire would start coming out of the unlit fireplaces.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-08-14, 04:03 PM
Heated air would still rise. Besides, the English have multiple-century old country houses and don't have this problem.

factotum
2017-08-15, 02:22 AM
Heated air would still rise. Besides, the English have multiple-century old country houses and don't have this problem.

But it will cool as it rises and will fall back down the chimney if there isn't enough heat to keep it rising all the way to the top. As for the old country houses, I doubt there are any of those that have a dozen separate fireplaces going into the same chimney, as in my example.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-08-15, 11:22 AM
Largest I've seen was eight, so a dozen isn't out of the question.

You have a point about cooling, but that would apply to all of the dwarves' chimneys. They have hundreds of feet of stone to waft through, and stone will absorb a lot of heat.

Probably there's a forced draft system in place, powered by treadmills. That way the population can also exercise off their beer bellies.

Keltest
2017-08-15, 11:32 AM
Largest I've seen was eight, so a dozen isn't out of the question.

You have a point about cooling, but that would apply to all of the dwarves' chimneys. They have hundreds of feet of stone to waft through, and stone will absorb a lot of heat.

Probably there's a forced draft system in place, powered by treadmills. That way the population can also exercise off their beer bellies.

Instead of a drunk tank, they have community service for being drunk and disorderly. I like it.

Scizor
2017-08-15, 02:23 PM
Instead of a drunk tank, they have community service for being drunk and disorderly. I like it.

What kind of dwarf would get arrested for being DRUNK of all things? They live on alcohol! :P

Keltest
2017-08-15, 02:33 PM
What kind of dwarf would get arrested for being DRUNK of all things? They live on alcohol! :P

Not drunk, drunk and disorderly.