PDA

View Full Version : Game Shop Etiquette

USS Sorceror
2017-08-10, 12:54 PM
So I'm gonna be going to tell local gaming venue later today for a Pathfinder game and it got me thinking about general etiquette at a game store. What do you recommend someone do their first time playing at a store?

Anxe
2017-08-10, 01:16 PM
Say hi to the employee working the front and tell them you're there for the game. Introduce yourself immediately to the other players as they arrive. Bring your own dice. Respect the game shop's rules and don't bother the other patrons. Buy something when you leave. Perfect customer.

JeenLeen
2017-08-10, 01:31 PM
Say hi to the employee working the front and tell them you're there for the game. Introduce yourself immediately to the other players as they arrive. Bring your own dice. Respect the game shop's rules and don't bother the other patrons. Buy something when you leave. Perfect customer.

In addition, I'll add to show up a bit early if you have time so that you can definitely do the above before the game starts up. Be a shame if you couldn't say hi to the owner or look over the shop's rules because you need to rush to your table.

I recommend not bringing your own food or drink, until you check what the rules with the place are. I've heard some gaming stores sell snacks. Assuming food and drink is welcome at the gaming party -- I guess check with both the store owner and the GM -- buy from the store if they sell it. (If they don't sell it, probably no problem bringing your own, assuming GM is okay with it and the store allows outside food and drink.)

The above isn't personal experience, but stuff I've heard.

---
Some general game etiquette.

If you have a pre-built character, bring your character sheet and know how to play your character. If you have stuff like summons or spells, have notes written out so you don't bog down play having to look something up.
If you are building a character, bring a blank character sheet.
In addition to your dice, have a few pencils.
Leave your cell phone on a low volume or vibrate, and don't use it at the table (caveat: could probably use it for dice rolling if DM is okay with that)

BWR
2017-08-10, 02:04 PM
It should go without saying but I've known some gamers who needed to be told: Good personal hygiene and clean clothes. This may be difficult if you come straight from work, depending on the work and weather, but sweaty, dirty people in close proximity is not pleasant. Excessive deodorant isn't nice either but preferable to sour B.O.

USS Sorceror
2017-08-10, 08:22 PM
Well, I was planning on doing most of that already, so it's good I have my bases covered. I would add though: make sure you get your dates right. Apparently that Pathfinder game starts next week. Owner was glad there was some interest though, so it's all good, if mildly embarrassing for me.

Anxe
2017-08-10, 10:00 PM
You really took it to heart when we said show up early!