PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Ability scores above 28?

Inaba
2017-08-10, 02:45 PM
Hi everyone perhaps you can help me with a little problem I've been having.

The issue that my group and I are having is that we all have heard of a set of rules that give special perks when you have an ability score of 28 or higher. I've been searching online, through all my books, and through the forums but none of us can find it. so if anyone knows of the rules im talking about, it would be most appreciated if you could point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help.

OldTrees1
2017-08-10, 03:06 PM
Sounds like homebrew. Those rules do not exist in D&D.

Khedrac
2017-08-10, 03:16 PM
Probably homebrew created by an old AD&D player. In 1st Ed (and iirc to a lesser extent 2nd) statistics over 18 gave special abilities (though arguably only deities got them - it was unclear) such as Intelligence 19 gave immunity to 1st level illusions.
The thing is statistics over 18 were much hard to achieve (possibly why it would be over 28) and it was a very different game.

I would recommend against this for 3.5 games, the system works on different assumptions.

Inaba
2017-08-10, 03:28 PM
one of them was mentioned in the spell detect thoughts stating that if you detect the thoughts of a creature with an intelligence score of 26 or higher (sorry had the wrong number) and its intelligence score was at least 10 higher than yours then you are stunned for 1 round and the spell ends.

KillianHawkeye
2017-08-10, 05:11 PM
one of them was mentioned in the spell detect thoughts stating that if you detect the thoughts of a creature with an intelligence score of 26 or higher (sorry had the wrong number) and its intelligence score was at least 10 higher than yours then you are stunned for 1 round and the spell ends.

That's only a function of the way detect thoughts works. There is no general list of perks for having an ability score that high.

Inaba
2017-08-10, 05:15 PM
Fair enough, thank you all so much for your assistance.