PDA

View Full Version : ASI or feat for life cleric

bloodgroove
2017-08-10, 02:52 PM
My AL Hill Dwarf life cleric is about to hit lvl 8 and I am wondering if I should take the ASI for 20 wis or go with a feat.
My group only has one tank and I am kind of the back-up tank. I had also thought to MC into fighter after 8th for a few levels
for the save proficiencies. Any advice is appreciated.

Current stats:
str - 19 (gauntlets of ogre power)
dex - 12
con - 16
int - 10
wis - 18
cha - 8

nickl_2000
2017-08-10, 03:03 PM
What is your combat style? Are you wading into the thick of things with sword and board? Casting magic?

A multiclass into fighter won't give you any additional saves. You don't get addition saving throw profs for multiclassing. That being said, getting a fighting style, second wind, and action surge is nothing to scoff at.

KorvinStarmast
2017-08-10, 03:06 PM
I don't think you get save proficiencies when you take on your second class in MC.

When you gain your first level in a class other than your initial class, you gain only some of new class’s starting proficiencies, as shown in the Multiclassing Proficiencies table. None of the things on that table are saving throw proficiencies.

The advantage to 20 Wis is that it helps your spell DC with another +1. feats ... well, what feat do you have in mind?

bloodgroove
2017-08-10, 03:13 PM
What is your combat style? Are you wading into the thick of things with sword and board? Casting magic?

A multiclass into fighter won't give you any additional saves. You don't get addition saving throw profs for multiclassing. That being said, getting a fighting style, second wind, and action surge is nothing to scoff at.

Rats on the extra proficiencies. I was looking mainly at the second wind, fighting style etc. Was hoping the saves would be gravy.
My combat style is try to avoid it if possible. Usually going the sanctuary/spirit guardians route to buff and keep my group going. We normally have an orc fighter/cleric, figher/ranger, arcana cleric, warlock, sorcerer and my life cleric. But due to some scheduling issues I may have to be more frontline.

bloodgroove
2017-08-10, 03:15 PM
I don't think you get save proficiencies when you take on your second class in MC.

None of the things on that table are saving throw proficiencies.

The advantage to 20 Wis is that it helps your spell DC with another +1. feats ... well, what feat do you have in mind?

I was thinking resilient - con or warcaster or but am open to other ideas.

EvilAnagram
2017-08-10, 04:18 PM

If you have an odd Con stat, then Resilient Con is worth it. If you find yourself in the thick of combat frequently, War Caster is definitely much more worth it.

Citan
2017-08-10, 04:30 PM
Rats on the extra proficiencies. I was looking mainly at the second wind, fighting style etc. Was hoping the saves would be gravy.
My combat style is try to avoid it if possible. Usually going the sanctuary/spirit guardians route to buff and keep my group going. We normally have an orc fighter/cleric, figher/ranger, arcana cleric, warlock, sorcerer and my life cleric. But due to some scheduling issues I may have to be more frontline.
Then you have your answer: Warcaster is the way to go. You really want to keep Spirit Guardians up, and it will give you a better damage on opportunity attacks as well.

nickl_2000
2017-08-10, 04:36 PM

Either would be decent, but war caster is probably better off those two. Other feats to look at : healer to give your more spells that aren't healing, mobile to get away without AoOs, or even tough so you can stay up longer

90sMusic
2017-08-10, 04:52 PM
Any character that uses a lot of concentration spells in combat and gets hit a lot benefits from warcaster and resilience in constitution. Together, it's pretty amazing. Takes something major like dragon fire to break your concentration.