PDA

View Full Version : Switching up a character

bovinelightfoot
2017-08-10, 07:38 PM
So this is actually a 2 part. Does the beserker axe make you attack friendlies as well. That's not the main reason for this post.
This is. So group hits their first extended rest a year to be exact. Any my dragin born hunter decides he got a message from his god bahamut that he needs to go find himself( he is really unhappy with his ranger) so he goes on a pilgrimage and finds a monk temple to bahamut and wants to basically reclass his level 5 hunter into a monk. Im ok with this fits his story line well and all. So here is the question he has a +1 bow and a couple explosive arrows. Should i give him some items for a monk to help him maintain his edge with the group. Or should he go in low items as a u just reclassed thing. Finally what is a goos monk item

nickl_2000
2017-08-10, 08:07 PM
If the player wants to play someone new for some reason let them do it. They picked a good time to switch it up, so don't punish them for it.

Say they traded the items up for something else.
Winged boots
Cloak of protection
Bracers of defense (probably to powerful)
Some homebrewed gloves that make unarmed strike do more damage
Magical spear

If he is playing a shadow monk Cloak or boots of elvenkind

bovinelightfoot
2017-08-12, 07:52 PM
Yea no im not punishing him at all i like his character backstory as a monk better anyways. Im just trying to find some cool magic items for a monk. He is doing unearthed arcana the sun soul monk. He doesn't want weapons. So i was thinking like a brass knuckle but a friend told me to give him tattoos that did stuff cool idea. Can be take away with a dispelled mahic type thing almost like he absorbs the item

KnotaGuru
2017-08-12, 09:04 PM
Could give him tattoos that increase the attack/damage of his radiant bolts. Like intricate tattoos of the sun/flames on his forearms. Or goggles of night of he doesn't have darkvision or winged boots.

nickl_2000
2017-08-13, 06:54 AM
Headband of the ninja master

Once per long rest you can mediate for one minute, doing so channels the ki of living things around you to regain ki equal to half your level (rounded down).

The nice thing about this is it scales and will be useful at level 10 or 15 even. Also he wants to be a monk, this lets him monk more

lunaticfringe
2017-08-13, 03:23 PM
Insignia of Claws: Uncommon, no attunement necklace that makes Unarmed & Natural Weapons +1 magic. The magic part isn't a big deal but it is the only way I know of to make Unarmed Strikes get a + to hit. Its in Hoard of the Dragon Queen.

Flametongue or Frostbrand Monk Weapon, cuz extra damage on hit yo.

Spider Staff: 1d6 poison on hit + dc 15 Web for 2 charges and the best part Spider Climb for 1 charge. The highly mobile monk loves Spider Climb. From Lost Mines of Phandelver.

A bit iffy because it doesn't say it can be wielded as a weapon but Staff of Defense, also from LMoP. +1 AC while attuned + the Shield spell for 2 charges.

And the other stuff people said.