PDA

View Full Version : RWBY Characters Converted to D&D

pwning doodes
2017-08-10, 08:19 PM
Hi there!

I was just thinking about something: if the characters from the anime RWBY were D&D characters, what classes would they be? I want to see what the RWBY fans on this forum have to say about it. Feel free to talk about other traits of their D&D personae, like specific ability scores, spell lists (for spellcasters), etc. Also if you want to assign a class to a character not mentioned below, definitely do it!

Keep in mind that since pretty much everyone has a ranged weapon (see also: gun), it's a bit hard to determine between different types of non-magic classes. Here are my tentative class assignments:

Team RWBY
Ruby: Paladin. She is very pure-hearted and passionate about doing good. She is good at using her scythe in melee combat, and though socially awkward, she has a youthful energy and optimism which draws people to her. Therefore it's plausible she would have a high charisma.

Weiss: Bard. This was a hard call. I went with Bard because she has a rapier and uses her semblance (magic) a lot. Also, she is actually a singer.

Blake: Rogue. No question about this one. Stealthy? Check. High Dex? Check. Tricks up her sleeve? Her Semblance, check. And it helps that she has "Darkvision" (though I guess that's not really a Rogue trait.)

Yang: Barbarian. Again, easy call. Gets extra strong when she gets mad. 'Nuff said.

Team JNPR:

Jaune: Fighter. I considered Paladin, but he doesn't seem to have any sort of driving goal for most of the show. He just wants to do what house gather and his grandfather did. With a sword and shield, that makes him one of the two.

Nora: Barbarian. Bloodlust and high Strength, with a Strength buff Semblance to go with it. And a giant hammer send appropriate for a barbarian.

Pyrrha: Fighter. No class fit her particularly well, but she fights with a spear and a shield, so...

Ren: Ranger (or possible Monk?) Not sure on this one. His combat is up-close and personal, using blades held very close to his hands. Combined with his personality, I thought Monk was an option. However, he's provable more like a dual-wielding ranger, given his Dex and his role as more of a supporting member of the team.

The Villains
Roman: Bard. Ok, I'll level with you: none of the classes I could think of really fit Roman at all. I chose Bard (and not, say, Rogue) because he is a very charismatic talker. He doesn't enter the fray often, preferring to direct others. I consider oration to be his performance, like in the scene where he stands on a stage in front of a crowd of White Fang members and reveals the Atlesian mecha.

Adam: Fighter. I guess. I don't know too much about his fighting style. He kinda seems like the brute force type.

Cinder: Sorceress. Very smooth and charismatic, and clearly a spellcaster. She seems to be able to adapt quickly to whatever combat situation she's in.

Emerald: Rogue. She's a thief who can pick pockets. Done.

Mercury: Monk. He fights using his boots. (I'm not even sure he has any other weapons.) And his fighting style is pretty martial arts-y. Outside of combat, he doesn't really fit, but I can't think of what else he would be.

The Adults (Well, some of them)

Ozpin: Wizard. First, he is thematically a wizard, for obvious reasons. Also, he has a cane (staff) and not any sort of fancy weapon. And when we finally see him fight, we see him use... Some kind of magic. Semblance, maybe? Anyway, this one was pretty easy.

Glynda: Wizard. She uses "magic", and seems very much the intellectual type. I can definitely see her carefully planning what spells to prepare, and studying them out of a book.

Ok that's all I have. RWBY Forumites, go to it!

Esprit15
2017-08-10, 09:00 PM
I'd say to avoid getting specific stats down. Most people have extremely inconsistent physical abilities, due to their auras and semblances. It would be like simply observing an epic level game and trying to make guesses at stats without looking at their sheets, and RWBY very clearly is a world that starts at high levels to low epic, and keeps going from there.

That said, for classes, I'd put almost everyone as some martial initiator. Blake's abilities almost perfectly match up with some of the Shadow Hand maneuvers.

goto124
2017-08-11, 01:43 AM
Should we figure out which edition of DnD we're working with?

pwning doodes
2017-08-11, 12:58 PM
I guess I could go with 5e, since it's the one I happen to like (and know) best.

Kite474
2017-08-11, 01:34 PM
I guess I could go with 5e, since it's the one I happen to like (and know) best.

Then unfortunately your SOL, none of them really work in 5e D&D as the game is not ment for that level of high flying martial arts and fighting.

Maybe you should try Exalted or Legend of Wushu.

On another note I recommend you look into better shows 😜

pwning doodes
2017-08-12, 11:24 AM
I don't know enough RPG systems to pick the best one for this. If anyone has suggestions, please put them or there.

I agree that powers in RWBY are inconsistent and that Remnant doesn't fit well with D&D. However, I happen to like both RWBY and D&D, so I just kind of thought of this on a whim. Don't take it too seriously. I mean, you can totally go overboard in analysis, but this was never meant to be a coherent, well thought out process. (Out of curiosity, has anyone ever created a formal rules-based RWBY RPG? I know there are plenty of online RWBY RPs out there, but none with a comprehensive rule-set. I guess it would be kind of hard since every Semblance is different and might need to be individually ruled by the GM, but maybe someone has tried?)

Oh also, I forgot one of the thoughts I'd had about Adam. Maybe he could be a Blackguard/Oathbreaker Paladin? He's leader of the White Fang in Vale, and he used to be Good and champion a cause. He slowly transitioned to Evil, but kept the same general cause. I'm not sure how Oathbreakers are flavored, but maybe it could work.

Arbane
2017-08-12, 11:50 AM
Fate, Risus, Feng Shui, Savage Worlds (played in an attempt at doing RWBY in this - it went reasonably OK.), Mutants and Masterminds... lots of possibilities.

Esprit15
2017-08-12, 04:06 PM
Mutants and Masterminds is a good system for over the top powerful characters.

Pallas
2017-08-17, 04:55 AM
Then unfortunately your SOL, none of them really work in 5e D&D as the game is not ment for that level of high flying martial arts and fighting.

Maybe you should try Exalted or Legend of Wushu.

On another note I recommend you look into better shows 😜

Here's my attempt to cast Team RWBY as Exalted characters. Ruby gets the most detail, while the others just get key points.

Ruby Rose exalted as a Twilight the moment she completed her custom scythe/high-velocity sniper rifle, Crescent Rose. She is fearless (valour 5) and unwavering (conviction 5) in defence of the innocent (compassion 5, also her motivation), but can be rather impulsive (temperance 2) at times. Her anima banner takes the form of a red rose.

Miss Rose is intelligent and quick-witted (high mental attributes: high int, wit, decent perception), which makes up for her unimpressive physique (low str, high dex, okayish stamina). Despite her general awkwardness, her exceptional stamina allows her to serve as an effective team leader (high charisma, low appearance and abysmal manipulation).

She is an excellent weaponsmith (craft: fire/magitech), but has not demonstrated any of the more esoteric techniques (no charms). In combat, she focuses on dodging enemy attacks through her speed (dodge charms) while unleashing devastating counterattacks of her own (melee charms).

Merits: good ol' girl, innocent, vulcan's gift
Flaws: age, short, shy

Limit break: heart of tears (see last episode of season 3)

Her silver eyes may be a sign of inhuman ancestry (god-blooded?). Due to her relative youth, she is at a lower essence than the rest of her team

Weiss Schnee is also a twilight who received her exaltation by mastering the glyphs (sorcery), something which might have been facilitated slightly by Samsara. She has high valour, temperance, and conviction, but low compassion. Her limit break is berserk anger.

Her physical attributes are below par, but she compensates for it in combat using her high mental attributes as well as her custom sorcery. Her social attributes are excellent too, even if her manipulation isn't as high as she thinks.

Weiss's main strength lies in her mastery of the occult, including the Schnees' signature demon-binding redemption charm (modified to include non-spirit/demon). Weiss also makes use of dodge and melee charms combat. Like Ruby, she is well-practiced at a non-combat ability (performance), but is not known to use charms in conjunction with it.

When Yang Xiao-Long told her partner about her disastrous foray into the forest in search of her birth mother, she neglected to mention she has defeated countless creatures of grimm before her strength finally ran out. You see, when she encountered her first beowulf that day she did not run away as any other child would have done. In charging forward against a foe far beyond her power she took her second breath as one of the Lightbringers. Yang is brave (high valour) and affectionate to her family, but she is prone to berserking (low temperance), and her determination to be a huntress is no longer as strong, now that Ruby can take care of herself (moderate conviction).

Yang has very good physical attributes, good social attributes, and even her mental attributes are decent. Her semblance is a customized battle fury focus. Some people (Ironwood) have mistakened it for the red rage of compassion limit break, or even a sign of infernal taint (slayer). In fact, her limit break is self-aggrandizing sulk (end of Season 3).

Blake Belladonna is a full moon lunar and the bond-mate of Adam Taurus. The actions of the White Fang conflicted with Blake's compassionate nature - which she did not restrict to faunus unlike many of her comrades. For a while she went along with the group's actions out of her dedication to the cause (conviction) and her love for Adam, but eventually these bonds became strained (reduced intimacy) and eventually snapped.

Blake has good physical and mental attributes due to her extensive experience, but her time in White Fang did not do her social skills any favours. Her signature move is a modified version of the flowing body evasion charm.

Blake's limit break is the curse of the lone wolf.

Jaune Arc was not a Prince of the Earth when he arrived at Beacon. He wasn't even a heroic mortal until Pyrrha unlocked his potential. His second breath came when he put himself between his tormentor and certain death. He's still far behind everyone else in terms of essence.

Celestia
2017-08-19, 02:46 AM
Note: RWBY is not technically an anime. Just had to say that.

Anyways, I mostly agree with your assessments, though I have a few comments.

Ruby: I can see why you went with paladin, but I don't agree. She became a Huntress pretty much just because she wanted to. Sure, she has naturally heroic tendencies, but that's just her good alignment. She's not guided by any goal or mission. I'd say she is more of a scout/fighter mix.

Blake: Rogue? Try ninja. :smallwink:

Yang: Mostly barbarian, obviously, but she probably has a dip in chaos monk for the unarmed combat.

Jaune: He may not have a specific mission, but I do see Jaune as being the paladin of the show. He probably started with a few levels of fighter, though, but he definitely turned paladin by the end of the first volume.

Ren: Monk, possibly with a ninja dip, seems to work best here. Monks don't have to fight with their fists.

Roman: Just because someone is charismatic, it doesn't mean they have to be a bard. Also, while Roman prefers not to fight if he doesn't have to, he has shown himself to be incredibly competent at it when he does. I'd say he's more of a swashbuckler type.

Adam: Obviously samurai turned ronin. Probably max ranks in iajutsu focus.

More:

Qrow: Wildshape ranger. Possibly with a scout dip and swift hunter.

Ironwood: Gunslinger.

Can't think of any more at the moment.

Graypairofsocks
2017-08-20, 06:18 AM
Here's my attempt to cast Team RWBY as Exalted characters. Ruby gets the most detail, while the others just get key points.

Ruby Rose exalted as a Twilight the moment she completed her custom scythe/high-velocity sniper rifle, Crescent Rose. She is fearless (valour 5) and unwavering (conviction 5) in defence of the innocent (compassion 5, also her motivation), but can be rather impulsive (temperance 2) at times. Her anima banner takes the form of a red rose.

Miss Rose is intelligent and quick-witted (high mental attributes: high int, wit, decent perception), which makes up for her unimpressive physique (low str, high dex, okayish stamina). Despite her general awkwardness, her exceptional stamina allows her to serve as an effective team leader (high charisma, low appearance and abysmal manipulation).

She is an excellent weaponsmith (craft: fire/magitech), but has not demonstrated any of the more esoteric techniques (no charms). In combat, she focuses on dodging enemy attacks through her speed (dodge charms) while unleashing devastating counterattacks of her own (melee charms).

Merits: good ol' girl, innocent, vulcan's gift
Flaws: age, short, shy

Limit break: heart of tears (see last episode of season 3)

Her silver eyes may be a sign of inhuman ancestry (god-blooded?). Due to her relative youth, she is at a lower essence than the rest of her team

Weiss Schnee is also a twilight who received her exaltation by mastering the glyphs (sorcery), something which might have been facilitated slightly by Samsara. She has high valour, temperance, and conviction, but low compassion. Her limit break is berserk anger.

Her physical attributes are below par, but she compensates for it in combat using her high mental attributes as well as her custom sorcery. Her social attributes are excellent too, even if her manipulation isn't as high as she thinks.

Weiss's main strength lies in her mastery of the occult, including the Schnees' signature demon-binding redemption charm (modified to include non-spirit/demon). Weiss also makes use of dodge and melee charms combat. Like Ruby, she is well-practiced at a non-combat ability (performance), but is not known to use charms in conjunction with it.

When Yang Xiao-Long told her partner about her disastrous foray into the forest in search of her birth mother, she neglected to mention she has defeated countless creatures of grimm before her strength finally ran out. You see, when she encountered her first beowulf that day she did not run away as any other child would have done. In charging forward against a foe far beyond her power she took her second breath as one of the Lightbringers. Yang is brave (high valour) and affectionate to her family, but she is prone to berserking (low temperance), and her determination to be a huntress is no longer as strong, now that Ruby can take care of herself (moderate conviction).

Yang has very good physical attributes, good social attributes, and even her mental attributes are decent. Her semblance is a customized battle fury focus. Some people (Ironwood) have mistakened it for the red rage of compassion limit break, or even a sign of infernal taint (slayer). In fact, her limit break is self-aggrandizing sulk (end of Season 3).

Blake Belladonna is a full moon lunar and the bond-mate of Adam Taurus. The actions of the White Fang conflicted with Blake's compassionate nature - which she did not restrict to faunus unlike many of her comrades. For a while she went along with the group's actions out of her dedication to the cause (conviction) and her love for Adam, but eventually these bonds became strained (reduced intimacy) and eventually snapped.

Blake has good physical and mental attributes due to her extensive experience, but her time in White Fang did not do her social skills any favours. Her signature move is a modified version of the flowing body evasion charm.

Blake's limit break is the curse of the lone wolf.

Jaune Arc was not a Prince of the Earth when he arrived at Beacon. He wasn't even a heroic mortal until Pyrrha unlocked his potential. His second breath came when he put himself between his tormentor and certain death. He's still far behind everyone else in terms of essence.

The Virtues you listed out seem a bit too high.