PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Animal Companion?

Nykolo
2017-08-10, 09:54 PM
In 3.5 I had a Druid/Beastmaster who had a white tiger as his animal companion that he used as a mount. I really want to play this in 5e, and am willing to change him into a ranger, for the Beast Master archetype. However, the animals allows for the animal companion have to be a challenge of up to 1/4. My DM is allowing the Revised Ranger from UA, and is willing to negotiate with me on ways to allow a tiger as an animal companion. What are some ways that we may do to fix the tiger so it can be used as an animal companion?

Desteplo
2017-08-10, 10:10 PM
Panther and just reskin as a tiger

Troacctid
2017-08-10, 10:48 PM
Yeah, just use a panther.

Kane0
2017-08-11, 12:49 AM
For the love of Pelor please no more panthers. (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Drizzt_Do%27Urden)

alchahest
2017-08-11, 10:50 AM
you might have missed the "reskin" part of everyone's suggestions. Nobody at all is saying to play Drizzt.

tieren
2017-08-11, 11:43 AM
The revised ranger's companion gets stronger as you do, gains HD every level you do after 3rd and gains ASi's when you do.

I'd allow you to start with the stronger tiger if you forgo the beast getting the first ASI at 4th level, and not increasing its HD until after you reach 5th level.

Joe the Rat
2017-08-11, 02:47 PM
For the love of Pelor please no more panthers. (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Drizzt_Do%27Urden)
Would it be better if we went with the more melanivariable "leopard?" It's pretty much the same animal.

But yes, skin the tiger, and put it on the leopard. Work out with your DM when it gets to be Large.

Aett_Thorn
2017-08-11, 03:02 PM
melanivariable

Oooo...nice word (even if it's made up).

But yes, skin the tiger, and put it on the leopard. Work out with your DM when it gets to be Large.

If I were the DM, I'd have it start at level 3 as a juvenile (reskinned panther), at level 4 it gets another hit die, and at level 5 it is now fully grown and has the stats of a tiger.

GlenSmash!
2017-08-11, 06:37 PM
you might have missed the "reskin" part of everyone's suggestions. Nobody at all is saying to play Drizzt.

Right. I mean, Drizzt doesn't even have a Panther animal companion. He has a Panther Figurine of Wondrous Power.

skin the tiger, and put it on the leopard.

:smalleek:

BigKaiju
2017-08-11, 07:35 PM
I can't help myself.....

My big take away from this thread is that there's.... more than one way to skin a cat?

miburo
2017-08-12, 11:45 AM
I can't help myself.....

My big take away from this thread is that there's.... more than one way to skin a cat?

That...that was genius. I salute you sir and/or madam.

BlackbirdXX
2017-08-12, 11:50 AM
I can't help myself.....

Agreed. Puuur genius. See.... That is just so lame afterwards. Can't even follow. Nicely done.