PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The Defensive Wizard Strategy/Build

Renduaz
2017-08-10, 10:56 PM
Greetings everyone, I am pleased to present the newest addition to my overactive shenanigans, which pertains to the best builds or methods I can think of to make your Wizard a bit more defensible in combat. Well, actually, that is somewhat of an understatement. But I won't jump the gun before you can review it yourself, so let's begin:

Build

What our character should be.

Race

There are two preferable race choices here, depending on your campaign:

Aasimar - Gives us access to Celestial Resistance ( Radiant and Necrotic ) which is very rare otherwise, and furthermore the ability to fly for 1 minute and deal necrotic or radiant damage equal to our level once every Long Rest. Most importantly though, our flying can be done with armor and doesn't require concentration. This is a solid choice for low to high levels.

Deep Gnome - A +2 to INT practically guarantees access to two feats/ASI's while maxed out on INT, while Gnome Cunning grants advantage on all saving throws against magic of INT,WIS and CHA type ( Not just spells ). This could be an equally good choice if you intend to reach very high levels or play on very high levels, once magical items or Shapechange let you fly without concentration and the resistance to radiant and necrotic becomes less necessary.

Class

The ultimate defensive choices are picking the Abjuration Wizard, multiclassing 1 level as a Tempest Cleric ( Divine Domain gives us Heavy Armor proficiency (https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?748948-5e-Do-multiclass-clerics-(of-war-etc-)-get-heavy-armor-proficiency) without wasting a Feat ), and 1 level at Fighter with Defense style for +1AC bonus while wearing Armor. The Abjuration Ward, while not considered very impressive by me on it's own, works well with this build as a bonus and furthermore briefly shielding you from losing concentration when hit by anything ( Credit to SharkForce for bringing my attention to this ), but we're practically never going to be hit using this build regardless, nor lose concentration. The major reason we're taking this school is advantage against all spells and resistance to the damage of all spells.

If you're curious about Bladesinger, at +5 Dex and +5 Int with Mage Armor, it gives you a base 23 AC, while if wearing heavy armor ( Plate ) and 1 level in fighter, as well as holding a shield, your base max is 21, which isn't much of a difference. Furthermore once you get +1, +2, +3 Armor and Shields, your base can get up to 27 while the Bladesinger remains the same. As for the concentration bonus, with this build, it will barely be worth it.

You could, of course, pick other schools other than Abjuration to forfeit Spell Resistance or get rid of the Fighter and even the War Cleric for something else and a Heavy Armor feat, and create combinations using other tricks and methods which are even more powerful overall, but at the moment I'll just focus on the straightforward optimal defense choices, without other independent tricks.

Feats

Using Point Buy system, as an Aasimar you'll only be able to raise your INT to 19 with room for 2 Feats left, or to 20 with 1 feat left, while the Deep Gnome can max INT to 20 and get 2 feats. With Random stat rolls however, you can get 2 feats or even more for both. Recommended defensive Feats are:

Resilient - Probably with saving throw proficiency in CON. Take this above all.

War Caster - Advantage on concentration saves, and can cast somatic component with both hands full ( Useful since you're using a shield, in case you ever get something like the Staff of Power as well )

Lucky - Since it's just 3 rolls between Long Rests and we already get so many advantages and resistances and proficiency and defense with this build, wouldn't be my first choice.

Shield Master - We are wielding a shield, which lets us add it's AC bonus to any DEX save against spells and harmful effects, and even use a reaction to take no damage if we are successful. Take this in case you still have a feat left, or replace with War Caster if you want.

Routines

Alright, now to what our defensive casting tactics should be, with the assumption you have access to the spells named, and using our standard build. First of all, I'll make a list of defensive "Circumstantial Concentration ( "CON" ) Spells" which should be picked from during the level-dependent routines, since we can only have one:

Resistance, Bless, Protection from Evil and Good, Protection from Energy, Investiture of Flame, Investiture of Ice, Shield of Faith, Haste, Globe of Invulnerability, Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, Shapechange

Now let's proceed with that in mind, and you may consult the spell descriptions ( Casting time, duration ) for each to understand why each may be chosen.:

Lowest-level Routine

Preparation ( Done while traveling or prior to combat ) - An Aasimar perpetually readies an action while travelling ( Moving ) to sprout his wings for 1 minute in the circumstance of attack, or does so as an action prior to a battle, and erects his Abjuration Ward with an Alarm spell ( and recharges it likewise ). If possible, casts a CON Resistance, Bless or Protection from Evil and Good based on the scenario before attacking creatures. If he can spare the spell slot, the Wizard may also cast False Life on himself.

In Combat - If required to flee, not having any spell slots, and not having use for other cantrips or desperately needing protection, cast Blade Ward as an action. "Shield of Faith" takes a bonus action and lasts for 10 minutes for a +2AC bonus, which can be done at the start or at any turn too. Furthermore, "Sanctuary" as a bonus action will give you immensely high defensive value for a minute ( If not attacking anything ), while at higher levels you may choose to simply waste your 1st and 2nd level slots to attack on your turn, cast Sanctuary, then next turn attack again and re-cast Sanctuary as a bonus action. Absorb Elements can also be used as a reaction when appropriate. "Shield" is also very good for AC, but really begins to shine at much higher level. But one more thing - All of those are Abjuration spells, adding 4 hit points to your ward per turn potentially, as long as you have spell slots.

Low-Level Routine

Preparation ( Done while traveling or prior to combat ) - All of the above applies, but, if having slots to spare, add pre-castings of See Invisibility, Mirror Image ( If possible ), and Fire Shield ( set appropriately to what you want ). Then you may replace chosen CON spells with either Protection from Energy, or if you can't fly - Levitate or Fly depending on level.

In Combat - The superior Haste should take the place of Shield of Faith ( Although if you ever get a Potion of Speed, you could have +4 AC with Shield of Faith ), while "Blink" should henceforth be exercised at the beginning of any combat. Facing any other alternative, it takes priority to all other spells.

Medium-Level routine

Preparation ( Done while traveling or prior to combat ) - All of the above still applies, while Contingency comes in ( Can be pre-cast at any time in 10 days prior ), and while Contingency can whip out any spell taking 1 action of your choice in case of surprise battles immediately ( Haste, Blink, Mirror Image or Fly recommended ), it can also be used as a "last resort" defense with either Otiluke's Resilient Sphere or Dimension Door in the circumstance that you mentally will it or drop too low on health or something. The Investitures of Flame or Ice can be swapped out for other concentration spells when appropriate, while Globe of Invulnerability may be useful if you're exclusively fighting spellcasters for the most part.

In-Combat - Everything else from the above still applies.

High-Level Routine

Preparation ( Done while traveling or prior to combat ) - Some of the above still applies, but there are many changes. Spell Mastery should be set to Shield for the most part, unless you have specific reasons to set it to Absorb Elements. Mirror Image is a good choice for certain creatures which are affected by it, otherwise you might go for Misty Step. A Heroes' Feast ( If you have access ) and Mind Blank should be undertaken periodically every 24 hours, preferably before going for a Long Rest, so the next day you have the spell slots while still being under the effect. A Wished ( or naturally created ) Simualcrum at the same time can also grant you a concentration spell of your choice on his own, and without even coming with you (1), as long the spell's range is not "Self". For example, you could have both Shield of Faith and Haste at the same time. With more Simulacrums, you could even have all the concentration spells ( except those which are Self ) at once. Shapechange now becomes your new best friend, and supersedes all other concentration spells, make sure to choose an Ancient White Dragon ( Will last for an hour, so you should be able to pre-cast ), and next up we'll demonstrate why.

In Combat - All of the above ( especially Blink and Sanctuary ) still applies, and you are currently concentrating on Shapechange as an Ancient White Dragon. Important to note, your hit points are 333, and you can in fact use your legendary resistances (2), especially on concentration saving throws to maintain Shapechange. Choose to merge your equipment. When about to drop to 297 HP or below or run out of Legendary Resistances, switch to being an Ancient Brass Dragon and at this point, you may also polymorph into a humanoid ( Retaining your hit points, Hit Dice, ability to speak, proficiencies, Legendary Resistance, lair actions, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores ), and choose to wear your armor instead of merging it. You now gain 3 brand new Legendary Resistances as well as your own incredibly high AC ( Which I don't even know if stacks with dragon natural armor, but even at simplest base it's 21 or up to 27 if magical ). And if you lose those legendary resistances, you can go through the entire cycle of Adult dragons for almost infinite legendary resistances. Finally, at lower hit points or close to 110, you may choose to switch to a Rakshasa, still wearing your own armor instead of merging it, gaining Limited Magic Immunity, advantage against all other spells and magical effects, immunity to nonmagical weapons, and access to all the Innate Spellcasting without expending your own slots (3), including True Seeing which is very useful. Lastly, if you're Aasimar, you can then bring out you wings ( retaining race benefits ) and fly as a Rakshasa too ( Can't be done otherwise since you're maintaining concentration on Shapechange ). Now you understand why I called the title of this thread an understatement. Remember that this entire time we are blinking in and out of existence, in the event we're even showing up - Spamming Shield, Sanctuary and being affected by a wide range of resistances, temp hit points, a Contingency and even an extra CON spell ( from a Simulacrum ) all at the very same time.

Analysis

AC: Base 21, Magic Armor 27, Magic Items 30/31, Combat Buffs Shield of Faith/Haste/Both 32/35, Spell Mastered Shield 37/40 ( At this point we are practically impossible to hit ), and 40+ with cover bonuses.

Permanent saving throws: Prof in INT, WIS, CON. Advantage in INT, WIS and CHA if Deep Gnome. Advantage on all spell saving throws with Abjuration. Advantage on concentration checks+/ Shield AC bonus to Dex Saves depending on Feats.

Temporary saving throws: plus d4 to all Saving Throws when under Bless. Advantage on Dex saving throws under Haste. Advantage on Wis Saving throws under Heroes' Feast. Any proficiency or bonus gained under Shapechange.

Permanent resistances and immunities: Necrotic, Radiant resistance if Aasimar. acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage resistance. ( Spell Mastery, Absorb Elements ) and resistance to all spell damage ( Abjuration ).

Temporary combined resistances and immunities, no concentration: cold/fire resistance, poison immunity, fear immunity, psychic damage immunity, divination spells immunity, charmed immunity and resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks, including magical ( Blade Ward )

Temporary combined resistances and immunities, concentration ( one or more with Simulacrums or other access ): acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder resistance, fire or cold immunity, and all gained from Shapechange forms

Extra HP: Abjuration Ward, False Life, Heroes' Feast, all gained from Shapechange.

Other Simultaneous defenses: Aasimar flight/Shapechange flight, Sanctuary, Blink, Mirror Image, Contingency and all those granted by Shapechange

Citations

Crawford and Mearls clarifying that maintaining concentration is not dependent on line of sight or even planar distance.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/05/losing-line-of-sight/ (1)
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/04/24/do-i-lose-the-concentration-when-applying-the-blink-effect/ (1)

Crawford clarifying that you can in fact use Legendary Resistances with Shapechange, unlike Legendary Actions.
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/03/05/the-spell-shapechange-states-that-the-you-cant-use-legendary-actions-but/ (2)

Crawford clarifying you can indeed use a creature's Innate Spellcasting with Shapechange, unlike Spellcasting
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/04/25/spellcasting-and-innate-spellcasting/ (3)

Well, that was fun. Hopefully someone will be able to make use of this. Feel Free to make suggestions or correct any rule problems you may find. ( And hopefully "some people" don't show up and start violently ranting about a Build/Strategy being posted on a D&D forum. )

bid
2017-08-10, 11:10 PM
The ultimate defensive choices are picking the Abjuration Wizard, multiclassing 1 level as a War Cleric ( Divine Domain gives us Heavy Armor proficiency (https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?748948-5e-Do-multiclass-clerics-(of-war-etc-)-get-heavy-armor-proficiency) without wasting a Feat ), and 1 level at Fighter with Defense style for +1AC bonus while wearing Armor.
What do you gain over the typical start as fighter 1, then MC to cleric?

An Aasimar perpetually readies an action while travelling
That's not going to fly (ha!) with half the DMs you meet.

Renduaz
2017-08-10, 11:16 PM
What do you gain over the typical start as fighter 1, then MC to cleric?

That's not going to fly (ha!) with half the DMs you meet.

You only gain the saving throws of your starting class, so we likely want to start with Wizard ( For Int and Wis proficiency ), then I do believe it doesn't matter much in which order we MC to Cleric and Fighter...? Maybe I'm missing something.

And yeah, no DM rulings accounted for, heh. Worst case scenario, I guess if it's the party about to launch an attack, sprout them beforehand or if it's a surprise/mutual initiative, you'd have to use your action. But at least you can then use movement to fly up and cast Sanctuary as bonus and Shield/Absorb Elements as reaction, that's where they're there for.

MaxWilson
2017-08-11, 12:15 AM
Any time I read about someone who "perpetually readies an action" in case of combat I can't help think of Crazy Old Man Henderson in combat boots. Keying yourself up for combat every six seconds (14,400 times a day) can't possibly be healthy--you'll go psychotic before the week is out.

Renduaz
2017-08-11, 12:26 AM
Any time I read about someone who "perpetually readies an action" in case of combat I can't help think of Crazy Old Man Henderson in combat boots. Keying yourself up for combat every six seconds (14,400 times a day) can't possibly be healthy--you'll go psychotic before the week is out.

In this case though it actually seems pretty reasonable even from a roleplaying perspective, since the Aasimar's flying form is innate to his very race, and unlike spells ( Somatic, Verbal components ) or attacks ( Stance, motion, etc.. ), the transformation just happens on it's own as an action. Much like a bird instantly flapping away when a human approaches regardless of which activity it's engaged in ( Not to mention just moving about ), it would make perfect sense for Aasimars to be prepared to sprout their wings as a "fight or flight" reaction when feeling threatened or being attacked.

PeteNutButter
2017-08-11, 12:45 AM
In this case though it actually seems pretty reasonable even from a roleplaying perspective, since the Aasimar's flying form is innate to his very race, and unlike spells ( Somatic, Verbal components ) or attacks ( Stance, motion, etc.. ), the transformation just happens on it's own as an action. Much like a bird instantly flapping away when a human approaches regardless of which activity it's engaged in ( Not to mention just moving about ), it would make perfect sense for Aasimars to be prepared to sprout their wings as a "fight or flight" reaction when feeling threatened or being attacked.

RAW I'm pretty sure Ready is an action in combat. You can't proclaim to ready an attack against the first foe you see all day, so you can't ready an action for anything else all the time. That's what initiative is for. It says who is the quickest to get to what they would naturally be doing. Yeah the bird might fly away before you can jump on it, but if you were quick enough, you could catch it.

The aasimar racial comes with a very significant damage boost and costs an action to activate for a reason. If the designers intended for it to be a reaction, they would have made it a reaction, instead of an action.

To the OP, why war domain? There are others that give heavy armor, like tempest or nature.

Renduaz
2017-08-11, 01:08 AM
RAW I'm pretty sure Ready is an action in combat. You can't proclaim to ready an attack against the first foe you see all day, so you can't ready an action for anything else all the time. That's what initiative is for. It says who is the quickest to get to what they would naturally be doing. Yeah the bird might fly away before you can jump on it, but if you were quick enough, you could catch it.

The aasimar racial comes with a very significant damage boost and costs an action to activate for a reason. If the designers intended for it to be a reaction, they would have made it a reaction, instead of an action.

To the OP, why war domain? There are others that give heavy armor, like tempest or nature.

That's true, Tempest actually seems better. I'll replace it.

Gignere
2017-08-11, 02:35 AM
The part on why/how Aasimars and Gnomes improve wizards survivability are good advice. I just disagree with focusing so much resources on improving the wizard's defense, instead of the party.

IMO this is a poor wizard build unless it is a solo / small party. You are wasting a lot of resources in preventing damage to yourself, not to your party. Haste on the wizard for the defense is a waste, wouldn't it be a lot better on the DPR machine?

At the end of the day if the rest of the party wipes even with 100 AC you are probably dropping.

With smart positioning you can prevent a lot of damage and means you can preserve spell slots to help out the team instead of dedicating it to boosting yourself.

I think 1 cleric/ X wizard will get you most of what you need. That +1 AC to go fighter is not worth it. Losing out on a level of spell slots and delaying spell gain by 2 levels is not a fair trade for +1 AC.

Renduaz
2017-08-11, 04:21 AM
The part on why/how Aasimars and Gnomes improve wizards survivability are good advice. I just disagree with focusing so much resources on improving the wizard's defense, instead of the party.

IMO this is a poor wizard build unless it is a solo / small party. You are wasting a lot of resources in preventing damage to yourself, not to your party. Haste on the wizard for the defense is a waste, wouldn't it be a lot better on the DPR machine?

At the end of the day if the rest of the party wipes even with 100 AC you are probably dropping.

With smart positioning you can prevent a lot of damage and means you can preserve spell slots to help out the team instead of dedicating it to boosting yourself.

I think 1 cleric/ X wizard will get you most of what you need. That +1 AC to go fighter is not worth it. Losing out on a level of spell slots and delaying spell gain by 2 levels is not a fair trade for +1 AC.

Well, as said in the "Class" section as well, this is basically just the highest defense imaginable build, but intentionally to let people tweak it to their characters, by just letting them know what's the maximum defense, and as said, I can think of several combinations which would make a character even more powerful overall than this, but this is just a schematic for the highest defensive value possible for a Wizard.

Although honestly with the high-level routine, it would take an astronomical amount of enemies or time to bring the character down all on his own. I mean, we're talking about Blink fading you out of existence following your turn as a 50/50 chance ( And it can be re-cast again after a minute ) , impossibly high AC, endless amount of legendary resistance, Limited Magic Immunity, nonmagical weapon immunity, Mind Blank, whole other bunch of resistances, advantages, a couple of Sanctuary uses ( Forcing everyone harming us for the round to roll a wisdom save before they can even do so ), we're looking at something like attack rolls against our AC never hitting except for natural 20's, spells almost always never having a significant effect especially with Limited Magical Immunity or infinite Legendary Resistances, any other abilities requiring a saving throw to avoid, which only leaves us with like 1/4 damage on common effects which we don't already have immunity to, in case they got through Blink and Sanctuary in the first place.

Or alternatively a single lucky Dispel Magic or Antimagic Field in which case we come crashing down from an unstoppable behemoth into a concerned looking Wizard, so yeah, there's a point there. Although theoretically I wonder if Contingency and Counterspell would be useful against that, at lower levels at least.

You could definitely substitute something else for the fighter if you wanted to, that's true.

Unoriginal
2017-08-11, 10:06 AM
Doesn't this build leave you painfully vulnerable to Grapple, though?

JBPuffin
2017-08-11, 10:12 AM
Is there a reason Dwarf isn't mentioned, at least for the heavy armor proficiency?

Sigreid
2017-08-11, 11:30 AM
I think you missed the deep gnome feat for their magic. With that a deep gnome can constantly recharge their ward for a spectacular amount of cheese.

Renduaz
2017-08-11, 06:09 PM
Doesn't this build leave you painfully vulnerable to Grapple, though?

Well, you have Blink, Sanctuary and you have flight. At high levels you have the dragon's strength. So I don't know how you would ward yourself further from grappling moreso than the average Wizard in the party is already vulnerable to Grapple.

Is there a reason Dwarf isn't mentioned, at least for the heavy armor proficiency?

Which race feature gives it heavy armor proficiency again? I can't find it. I know Mountain Dwarves get light and medium armor proficiency. It's mostly not mention since it's not really ideal, Dwarven Resilience is overshadowed by various abilities and especially a Heroes' Feast, while the Aasimar and Deep Gnome have much more useful features.

I think you missed the deep gnome feat for their magic. With that a deep gnome can constantly recharge their ward for a spectacular amount of cheese.

Correct, but any Wizard can do the same with Spell Mastery. That Feat could be taken if you're only planning on playing at low levels and fight more than average during a session, since otherwise you could just recharge it between battles with a ritual.

Sigreid
2017-08-12, 12:25 AM
Correct, but any Wizard can do the same with Spell Mastery. That Feat could be taken if you're only planning on playing at low levels and fight more than average during a session, since otherwise you could just recharge it between battles with a ritual.

That's true, but it does let you get the most out of your ward on the way up to spell mastery.